Found Deceased MT - Katelynn Berry, 26, last seen @ home, suspicious, Sidney, 21 Dec 2021 *Reward*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
These stories might shed some light about weather conditions after Christmas.

First, a fugitive attempting to cross the border from Canada into Montana became lost and had to be rescued by U.S. Border Patrol. This happened north of Plentywood, MT.

Podcaster who lost hate-defamation suit claims he fled across U.S. border after being ‘marked for death’ in Canada

Second, four people attempting to cross the border illegally near Emerson, Manitoba, became disoriented and died of exposure. This is north of Grand Forks, ND.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/01/20/canada-border-migrant-death/

How a trek from Canada to the U.S. left four people — including a baby — dead in the Manitoba cold

From the Washington Post article, it took police four hours to find the missing people in a field. The second article shows the vehicles used by the searchers. Snow had drifted in.

Although the weather was milder when Katelynn was last seen, snow fell. The weather was harsh. Katelynn had no outerwear, to our knowledge.

It took a team of police with track vehicles four hours to find four people in a field in southern Manitoba.

These stories might shed some light about weather conditions after Christmas.

First, a fugitive attempting to cross the border from Canada into Montana became lost and had to be rescued by U.S. Border Patrol. This happened north of Plentywood, MT.

Podcaster who lost hate-defamation suit claims he fled across U.S. border after being ‘marked for death’ in Canada

Second, four people attempting to cross the border illegally near Emerson, Manitoba, became disoriented and died of exposure. This is north of Grand Forks, ND.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/01/20/canada-border-migrant-death/

How a trek from Canada to the U.S. left four people — including a baby — dead in the Manitoba cold

From the Washington Post article, it took police four hours to find the missing people in a field. The second article shows the vehicles used by the searchers. Snow had drifted in.

Although the weather was milder when Katelynn was last seen, snow fell. The weather was harsh. Katelynn had no outerwear, to our knowledge.

It took a team of police with track vehicles four hours to find four people in a field in southern Manitoba.
The weather conditions in NE North Dakota have been substantially different than those in Sidney MT, which is over 300 miles away. Temps have been -30 at night and with the wind chill -40 or colder. They have also had a lot more snow and blizzard conditions. The weather has not been similar.

So Katelynn had no outerwear on, her wallet and cell were in the house and her remains were found in an open field where she could not possibly get lost, unless highly intoxicated or psychotic. If it was a murder I think the LE needs to check carefully Katelynn neighbors. She lived in an apartment complex, am I right?

So Katelynn had no outerwear on, her wallet and cell were in the house and her remains were found in an open field where she could not possibly get lost, unless highly intoxicated or psychotic. If it was a murder I think the LE needs to check carefully Katelynn neighbors. She lived in an apartment complex, am I right?

No, she lived in a single apartment that had been constructed especially for her by her father, in his "workshop". So apparently no one else actually lived in the building she inhabited.

My brother, who is not schizophrenic, has episodes of paranoia, sometimes thinks someone is following him, or has poisoned the tap water. Luckily he has never taken off in cold weather, and can appear to be quite "normal" most of the time, even when in an episode. The family has said Katelynn has "walked away" before with no details given. The father said it was difficult to keep Katelynn on her medication. It's common for schizophrenics to have paranoia, they believe what their brain tells them, they don't question if it's logical, dangerous, or contrary to obvious facts. Some take off without a phone or identification as a part of the paranoia. I personally don't like calling it "mental illness".
Schizophrenia Is a Brain Disease | Psychology Today
https://www.psychologytoday.com › recovery-road › sc...

Jan 17, 2019 — Schizophrenia is a physical disease of the brain characterized by an imbalance of neurotransmitters and damaged brain tissue

The weather conditions in NE North Dakota have been substantially different than those in Sidney MT, which is over 300 miles away. Temps have been -30 at night and with the wind chill -40 or colder. They have also had a lot more snow and blizzard conditions. The weather has not been similar.

Sidney to Plentywood is 84 miles. Snow drifts on the prairies. Snow is picked up by gusting wind and deposited on things in open fields. Wind chill is another feature of prairie winters. Freezing temperatures without adequate gear can be fatal.

Incoming winter storm is expected to disrupt travel across Montana

No matter what the weather reports, we probably all agree it was cold enough for death from hypothermia and there were multiple dustings/falling of snow to cover the body.
Hypothermia - IADC.org
https://www.iadc.org › safety-meeting-topics › hypothe...

Feb 17, 2015 — Most hypothermia cases develop in air temperatures between 30 and 50 degrees. Most people can't believe that temperatures in this range are ..

My brother, who is not schizophrenic, has episodes of paranoia, sometimes thinks someone is following him, or has poisoned the tap water. Luckily he has never taken off in cold weather, and can appear to be quite "normal" most of the time, even when in an episode. The family has said Katelynn has "walked away" before with no details given. The father said it was difficult to keep Katelynn on her medication. It's common for schizophrenics to have paranoia, they believe what their brain tells them, they don't question if it's logical, dangerous, or contrary to obvious facts. Some take off without a phone or identification as a part of the paranoia. I personally don't like calling it "mental illness".
Schizophrenia Is a Brain Disease | Psychology Today
https://www.psychologytoday.com › recovery-road › sc...

Jan 17, 2019 — Schizophrenia is a physical disease of the brain characterized by an imbalance of neurotransmitters and damaged brain tissue
Thanks for sharing. The behavior sounds like it could fit into this case.

There has also been an alarming increase in the number of people overdosing on Fentanyl.
There was a case of a young man a couple of years ago who went to a party and took something laced with Fentanyl. He then bolted out of the house, ran down the street a few blocks, fell down and started rolling on the ground. Some of his friends followed him and called an ambulance but before they got there, he was dead.

At one point I thought something similar may have happened here if she took something and was alone. I don't think that anymore. I think she was with someone and I also suspect her body was placed at the location she was found sometime after the initial searches with drones and dogs was done. JMO

I guess only those who know her well will be able to say how likely or unlikely it is for her to wander off like that. If she could have had some sort of episode that led to leaving her home without belongings or coat. Even then, if she did have drug issues on top of an existing condition, maybe her behaviour was so erratic that even they couldn’t say one way or another. I hope they get answers.

Thanks for sharing. The behavior sounds like it could fit into this case.

There has also been an alarming increase in the number of people overdosing on Fentanyl.
.JMO

Yes, I agree, we just have to wait, always the toxicology seems to take so long. Fentanyl would be a pretty conclusive explanation.
I don't agree that someone is going to park a car, pull out a body then carry/drag it several hundred feet into the field. Why bring her back close to her home? Especially if you don't think she'll be found for a long time, as the area has been searched? Montana has vast empty places.

Yes, I agree, we just have to wait, always the toxicology seems to take so long. Fentanyl would be a pretty conclusive explanation.
I don't agree that someone is going to park a car, pull out a body then carry/drag it several hundred feet into the field. Why bring her back close to her home? Especially if you don't think she'll be found for a long time, as the area has been searched? Montana has vast empty places.

The latest report from News Radio Live said she was found 90 ft from the road, not several hundred feet. The comments on New Radio Live claiming she wasn't there when the initial searches were done doesn't leave any other explanation. However, no one from LE is confirming that's true so there's that.

Last edited:
The latest report from News Radio Live said she was found 90 ft from the road, not several hundred feet. The comments on New Radio Live claiming she wasn't there when the initial searches were done doesn't leave any other explanation. However, no one from LE is confirming that's true so there's that.

I see the update and will still say, I don't see anyone dragging her body 90 feet(if the reporter is even correct), into the field or bringing the body there at all. No one can claim that she wasn't there before, just that she wasn't found. It certainly is not unheard of that a body wasn't found, even when someone walked close to it in a search. I do think it makes more sense that she was closer to the road, maybe she ran into the field when a car passed by.

Williston Trending Topics News Radio Live

I agree, there are a lot of other places to leave a body that would make it much, much harder to locate

I grew up in Northern Wisconsin, with similar winter temps. Every winter at least one person that had too much to drink would wander off and be found in a snowbank. When I was a bartender part of my job was to make sure this didn't happen. Winter isn't the least bit forgiving in these extreme climates

Just my personal experience...

Last edited:
Despite Thursday’s discovery, family friends of the Berrys held a fundraiser on Friday. About 200 people showed up to a bar in downtown Williston, North Dakota, throughout the evening, donating an estimated $1,000, according to Heidi Eide, a longtime friend of Katelynn Berry’s aunt. That money, Eide said, is meant to help pay for the fliers family members circulated throughout town and for their travel expenses.
Remains found in Montana last week are Katelynn Berry's, father sa

Despite Thursday’s discovery, family friends of the Berrys held a fundraiser on Friday. About 200 people showed up to a bar in downtown Williston, North Dakota, throughout the evening, donating an estimated $1,000, according to Heidi Eide, a longtime friend of Katelynn Berry’s aunt. That money, Eide said, is meant to help pay for the fliers family members circulated throughout town and for their travel expenses.
Remains found in Montana last week are Katelynn Berry's, father sa

200 people and $1k raised? An average of $5 per person. Seems crazy low for a turnout of that many people

200 people and $1k raised? An average of $5 per person. Seems crazy low for a turnout of that many people
I thought it was a little odd that they didn't cancel the event considering her deceased body was found the day before. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZogNCat
Back