MT MT - Paul Batson, 45, Stillwater Co, 29 Apr 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The postal service has a type of mailing called EDDM (Every Door Direct Mail) which is "cheap" by comparison to other types of mass mailings and is delivered to everyone in any area you wish. If someone in Montana wanted to do that for the Bozeman or Reed Point area or points in between, that would be another option. I'm not sure, since I'm not in marketing, but I think you choose a city, and the rates are per city. I've completely forgotten the cost, even though I've seen the presentation at least three or four times. It was in the hundreds of dollars, as opposed to thousands. It's something the family aught to consider paying for--since it can purchased for just about any purpose, usually advertising. I'll have to check with the local marketing people and get more information about who to contact for purchasing EDDM for Montana. Montana isn't in my District or Area; I'm a couple states away. I didn't think of EDDM until just now, after reading other posts about distributing flyers. EDDM aren't flyers, they're crisp, thin card advertisements, but they are effective and DO go to every household. You just have to choose your cities or towns you want them to go.

There's also bulk mail, but you have to set up an account for it. At least with the EDDM, it can be a one-shot thing, or can be done multiple times, depending on what you want. I had a bulk mail clerk show me once how to accept mail from bulk mailers, but don't have a clue how to set up a bulk mail account, or how much it would cost. I assume it wouldn't be cheap. EDDM is more for people don't want a long term contract. There's a local dentist who sends out his advertisements once a month. The cardstock is shiny, thin and stiff (and they ARE a pain to deliver) but they're normally colorful and are attention getting.

Nothing? We are nearly in June. Family, friends, what can us that are far away do to help find Paul?

I know, AnaPisces -- me too, girl!

At this time, I'm really thinking Paul drove himself to Reed Point. I'm just feeling this, and it's a gut feeling I've had from the start (not that I'm right)... and I also feel rather helpless...I want to help, but I also do not want to hurt or offend. I have found (in other cases + personally -- a close family friend situation/disappearance) that there is a point of contention, sometimes, between "Let's get all info out, come what may!"... and "No, we must be protective, and we must be careful"...and this is what I feel *may* be going on, in this case. It's so understandable. Then there's LE, which holds sway.

I understand more than I can possibly convey... of the reluctance to get private info out about a loved one... but I just want to say to any family or friend reading this thread... please go with what you can live with. Go with how you feel can best help Paul or bring answers... whatever that is, either way. I'm just as concerned about those who are hurting now, without a full understanding, of what has happened -- as I am of Paul. It's tough... it just really is.

I feel for all. It's torment -- to care and love someone, so much, but have no closure.

We care.

We're all here, on this thread, because we care. There's really no other reason to be here.

Last edited:
There's also bulk mail, but you have to set up an account for it. At least with the EDDM, it can be a one-shot thing, or can be done multiple times, depending on what you want. I had a bulk mail clerk show me once how to accept mail from bulk mailers, but don't have a clue how to set up a bulk mail account, or how much it would cost. I assume it wouldn't be cheap. EDDM is more for people don't want a long term contract. There's a local dentist who sends out his advertisements once a month. The cardstock is shiny, thin and stiff (and they ARE a pain to deliver) but they're normally colorful and are attention getting.

I would rather hope the postal service would distribute the leaflet for no cost since Paul is one of their own.

The postal service has a type of mailing called EDDM (Every Door Direct Mail) which is "cheap" by comparison to other types of mass mailings and is delivered to everyone in any area you wish. If someone in Montana wanted to do that for the Bozeman or Reed Point area or points in between, that would be another option. I'm not sure, since I'm not in marketing, but I think you choose a city, and the rates are per city. I've completely forgotten the cost, even though I've seen the presentation at least three or four times. It was in the hundreds of dollars, as opposed to thousands. It's something the family aught to consider paying for--since it can purchased for just about any purpose, usually advertising. I'll have to check with the local marketing people and get more information about who to contact for purchasing EDDM for Montana. Montana isn't in my District or Area; I'm a couple states away. I didn't think of EDDM until just now, after reading other posts about distributing flyers. EDDM aren't flyers, they're crisp, thin card advertisements, but they are effective and DO go to every household. You just have to choose your cities or towns you want them to go.
EDDM is a great idea for Paul's family. Here is the link to details:
Every Door Direct Mail - Targeted Mail Marketing | USPS

In my neighborhood we receive small postcard notifications when a registered sex offender moves to the area. It seems that if there's money in the budget for that, there must be a way to fund missing persons notifications as well.

In my neighborhood we receive small postcard notifications when a registered sex offender moves to the area. It seems that if there's money in the budget for that, there must be a way to fund missing persons notifications as well.

Not the Post Office's budget, though, I assume. I could be wrong, but I doubt the PO funds those mailers. The Post Office is an independent agency and not funded by government/federal dollars.

ETA: I didn't mean to sound short - sorry if it came across that way!

All MOO, as always.

Not the Post Office's budget, though, I assume. I could be wrong, but I doubt the PO funds those mailers. The Post Office is an independent agency and not funded by government/federal dollars.

ETA: I didn't mean to sound short - sorry if it came across that way!

All MOO, as always.

Thank you so much for saying that! I still have to explain to people that yes, we are a government agency, but no, we are not funded by the government.

I do think family, friends, customers, and coworkers could contribute to a fund to create the EDD mailers. I think most are waiting for the family to communicate their wishes. They would need to know the areas they want covered and the cost and set up a fund, either at a bank or a funding site, and go from there. I do think this would help.

I check every day to see if Paul has been located. It saddens me to see that there is no news. I think it would be wonderful if the news did another story on him and mentioned that people should keep an eye out while out and about this holiday weekend.

Thank you so much for saying that! I still have to explain to people that yes, we are a government agency, but no, we are not funded by the government.

I do think family, friends, customers, and coworkers could contribute to a fund to create the EDD mailers. I think most are waiting for the family to communicate their wishes. They would need to know the areas they want covered and the cost and set up a fund, either at a bank or a funding site, and go from there. I do think this would help.

I check every day to see if Paul has been located. It saddens me to see that there is no news. I think it would be wonderful if the news did another story on him and mentioned that people should keep an eye out while out and about this holiday weekend.

RBBM

This is an excellent idea!

Agreed! It's not like they'd be distributing all across the country and the world- just the town and surrounding towns might suffice.

I agree that it would be nice if the post office would pick up the tab for the EDDM. I don’t think we will know if they would or not unless the family asks about it. I’m not even sure who would make that decision. I would think that the family could speak to the postmaster at Paul’s station. We have some caring postmasters and some not so much. But, like I said before, I’m sure some fellow carriers would be more than willing to chip in. I don’t think the post office would do it without the family starting it though.
MOO

I agree that it would be nice if the post office would pick up the tab for the EDDM. I don’t think we will know if they would or not unless the family asks about it. I’m not even sure who would make that decision. I would think that the family could speak to the postmaster at Paul’s station. We have some caring postmasters and some not so much. But, like I said before, I’m sure some fellow carriers would be more than willing to chip in. I don’t think the post office would do it without the family starting it though.
MOO

I agree with everything you say. I get the feeling though that the family is not interested in pursuing any of these options. There is no desire to get the story out on a national level. It’s a complete mystery to me, but I respect their wishes and right to privacy. I have no doubt that there is so much more that we do not know and the family wishes it to remain that way. This particular case could be one where the public (even friends that know and love Paul) may never know the whole story. I’m not sure that makes sense. I’m trying to say all I can while respecting the privacy of the family.

I agree with everything you say. I get the feeling though that the family is not interested in pursuing any of these options. There is no desire to get the story out on a national level. It’s a complete mystery to me, but I respect their wishes and right to privacy. I have no doubt that there is so much more that we do not know and the family wishes it to remain that way. This particular case could be one where the public (even friends that know and love Paul) may never know the whole story. I’m not sure that makes sense. I’m trying to say all I can while respecting the privacy of the family.

I too respect their privacy, and their privacy leads me to believe that they believe he has harmed himself.

While I respect their privacy (and that this question might never get answered because of that privacy) I wonder how they know this for sure if they have not located Paul and why they would not want to pursue every single thing to find Paul, alive or deceased.

It leaves me with more questions than answers and uneasy feeling.

I too respect their privacy, and their privacy leads me to believe that they believe he has harmed himself.

While I respect their privacy (and that this question might never get answered because of that privacy) I wonder how they know this for sure if they have not located Paul and why they would not want to pursue every single thing to find Paul, alive or deceased.

It leaves me with more questions than answers and uneasy feeling.

RBBM

Agreed.

I first suspected a possible mental health crisis upon learning Paul’s girlfriend reported him missing after just a few hours of not being able to get in touch with him:

“Batson was last heard from at approximately 4 p.m. on Sunday, April 29, when he told his girlfriend he was at the Bozeman Public Library and had a meeting with the Bozeman Postal Service the following morning, April 30, according to police reports.

Batson never showed up at that meeting. After calling hospitals and multiple attempts at making contact with him, the girlfriend reported Batson missing to the Bozeman Police Department.

At approximately 12:23 p.m. the following day, a Still-water County Sheriff’s deputy responded to a call about Batson’s abandoned 2016 Dodge Charger that was parked on the street across from the gas station in Reed Point.

[SBM]

At 8:35 p.m., dispatch got a ‘delayed hit’ on the car, and learned the owner had been reported as missing by the Bozeman PD the previous day.” (BBM)

Without a Trace

This lead me to believe perhaps he said something to her that made her think he might try to harm himself.

I also wondered if Paul’s went to see his son’s in Colorado the week before more or less as a “Good bye.”

Another possibility I thought of at the time was perhaps Paul told his girlfriend he’d picked up a hitchhiker, which concerned her to start with, and then when she didn’t hear from him for a few hours, she contacted LE.

One thing I didn’t think much about before but seems somewhat significant now is the fact that the girlfriend called hospitals before calling LE. If Paul did make a concerning comment to her, maybe she told him to go to the nearest ER and stay there until someone (e.g., one of his sons, a close friend who lives in the area) got there.

I’m just really surprised that there have been no searches in nearly two weeks now. Whatever the reason for Paul’s disappearance may be, he needs to be found. I wish I could be there to help.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nycissa
Back