MT MT - Paul Batson, 45, Stillwater Co, 29 Apr 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is it possible that he met another woman and maybe decided to start a new life with her? I would rather hope he is alive and well, and that he contacts his family soon so they don't worry anymore. I wonder if the police checked to see if he used any online dating service or message boards? Meet and Greet gatherings?

Don't anyone get excited that this is a significant or newsy post, or you'll be disappointed... I'm just thinking "aloud.":)

Well, I scoured the web to see if any updates on Paul... nothing. I re-read this article, which I'm sure was previously posted on our thread: 1,000 acres searched,still no sign of man missing for more than 2 weeks

Just a small thing in the article -- think already mentioned -- that his wallet and cellphone were missing, from the car. So, again, I put that in the column of "encouraging that he went voluntary missing"...

My thinking is: "Why keep your wallet and cell -- especially cell -- with you, if you plan to self-harm?" Of course, after a period of time, you can't really use your cell anymore in voluntary missing, because you know that it can be pinged to locate you, etc., but you can use it for awhile. It makes sense to me (per article) that a small travel bag was also left behind in the car, as that (along with car keys on the ground) make it appear like Paul was "setting the stage" to give the impression of foul play. It's just my gut that's what the scene was meant to convey, and it's my hope that Paul couldn't cope with stressors he hid from loved ones -- and thought getting away from everything was what he needed.

The article also indicates nothing at all found from all the searching... I don't know, but it makes me felt like the search dogs didn't really hit in areas either, but maybe that's not a good assumption. That specific info was probably not conveyed to media.

So can someone just let me talk to Paul's case search doggies? They're undoubtedly very smart...a simple bark for "no" answers to my questions-- a tail wag for "yes" answers? Lol... Do I sound a little desperate for info?;-)

I agree that Paul's family, friends, and the rest of us have reason to hope he is alive and disappeared of his own free will. If that is the case, I do hope he chooses to 'be found' at some time for his parents' and sons' sakes.

If I was trying to go away anonymous for an extended period of time, I would have started putting away cash for some period of time beforehand -- more than a year. Nothing larger than a $100 bill, though, or he would get too much attention when he spent it. I lean toward the 'rustic cabin in the woods' theory above living in plain sight in an urban area, but that's me, what I would choose. Buying property would require a title to be filed, but a rental agreement? That could have been done in cash and through snail-mail. Paul would trust the mail and doesn't seem to have much of an online/electronic footprint.

This summer we seem to have a larger-than-normal population of hitchhikers on I-90 through Bozeman and greater transient population passing through. I'm not sure if I am just noticing more, though, and have no statistics or study to back that up.

The Stillwater Search and Rescue still hasn't been able to get divers into that section of the Yellowstone River, but people have daily been on the surface of the water and on nearby land. The river is slowing down and becoming safer for fishing and floating. If anyone -- Paul, Brandon -- can be found, now until October is the time.

73 days missing.

All just questions...
My initial thoughts in this case were that he may have met with someone purposefully. He potentially could have lied to his girlfriend about his location and thus never was at the library, if no ping from the phone or actual sighting took place. Have they verified when he was to return to IL?

Did he meet another person there, near the library, or near where his car was found for a romantic type of meeting? Or was he in contact with someone in regards to purchasing something like land, or an RV, as one said before? If he intended to meet with someone romantically, could he have met them online and that be the reason for MT instead of CO for a job? If so, was there anything from his internet search history that could back this up? Was he on any dating websites? He could have used a burner phone, even if his went dead. Could he even have been cat-fished, if he stated that he had X amount of money to start a new life?

If they are looking into his financials, what amount of money do they think he had on his person? If he had the cash to purchase something in person, could he have responded to an ad (newspaper or online) and got robbed as the ad said "cash only", or something along those lines? If he responded to such an ad, they would know that he would have the cash on him and could have abandoned the car.

I guess my thoughts go either of 2 different directions: He met someone intentionally and may be still alive, starting a new life somewhere (maybe not even MT if he didnt want to be found); or he met with foul play meeting up with someone.

When will the rivers subside?

All just questions...
My initial thoughts in this case were that he may have met with someone purposefully. He potentially could have lied to his girlfriend about his location and thus never was at the library, if no ping from the phone or actual sighting took place. Have they verified when he was to return to IL?

Did he meet another person there, near the library, or near where his car was found for a romantic type of meeting? Or was he in contact with someone in regards to purchasing something like land, or an RV, as one said before? If he intended to meet with someone romantically, could he have met them online and that be the reason for MT instead of CO for a job? If so, was there anything from his internet search history that could back this up? Was he on any dating websites? He could have used a burner phone, even if his went dead. Could he even have been cat-fished, if he stated that he had X amount of money to start a new life?

If they are looking into his financials, what amount of money do they think he had on his person? If he had the cash to purchase something in person, could he have responded to an ad (newspaper or online) and got robbed as the ad said "cash only", or something along those lines? If he responded to such an ad, they would know that he would have the cash on him and could have abandoned the car.

I guess my thoughts go either of 2 different directions: He met someone intentionally and may be still alive, starting a new life somewhere (maybe not even MT if he didnt want to be found); or he met with foul play meeting up with someone.

When will the rivers subside?
Lots of your questions we don't have answers to, though if you read through the rest of this thread you will find some answers at least about Paul's timeline for returning to IL. We have to consider some information 'unverified' since it come from posters but hasn't appeared in msm. The last cell communication (may have been a text not call) with Paul's girlfriend at the library has been verified in msm as occurring late Sunday afternoon.

Another possibility we have been considering is deliberate self-harm. The Yellowstone River is very dangerous, especially in early spring. Flows peaked in mid-June for the season and people are out on the river now. The annual 'Yellowstone Boat Float' is scheduled for this coming weekend.

Yellowstone Boat Float Public Group | Facebook
Interestingly, it appears this year's floaters are getting out before the river access nearest Reed Point and avoiding that stretch of the Yellowstone. I haven't been through there this year, but that is unusual, is unlikely because of river conditions. I believe it may well be because of the investigation into the disappearance and search for Brandon Fitch. Which we hope may also find Paul, if he is in the river.

. . . Bozeman police officials are still looking into Batson's finances:
Montana authorities call off search for missing Illinois man
Associated Press - Published 7:43 p.m. MT July 3, 2018
BILLINGS — Montana authorities have called off the search for a man from Illinois who has been missing since April.
[...]
Smith says Bozeman police officials are still looking into Batson's finances and that the sheriff's office will assist if new leads develop.

Maybe LE has discovered unusually large dollar amount credit/debit transactions that don't fit the pattern of a single person. One example would be a credit card transaction of $50.00 at a coffee shop in MT which might indicate it was a meal for two people but just speculating. Furthermore LE and family have not released any information in regards to a paper trial of credit/debit card activity of Paul's travels from Illinois to Colorado and Montana such as gas, food and lodging. Maybe some of these purchases might be unusual for Paul and could indicate someone else was with him or foul play was involved.

Last edited:
85 days missing.

I really truly thought Paul would have either come home by now, or would have been 'found.'

The Yellowstone River is still running very high compared to other years, but there are people out fishing and rafting daily. I have seen nothing on our local news about either Paul's disappearance, nor Brandon Fitch's recovery effort.

Paul's family and friends: please forgive my next remarks. There are no readily available statistics about how far a person's body might might travel on such a major river through the spring runoff and flood seasons. Brandon, who was reportedly seen entering the Yellowstone River at Reed Point on June 16th, has still not been recovered. In July of 2016, the body of one young girl, 12 year old Taeva Hawkins, traveled 6 miles from the point she went into the river. So many variables are different in each case and I am sure these are extremely problematic for a search and recovery effort -- the date and location a person entered the river, their physical weight and height, the condition of the river (flow, height, temperature, debris), seasonal weather, location of dams and tributaries. But as far as I can tell, no searchers for either Paul nor Brandon have looked nearly as far as 6 miles. I believe when they were searching for Taeva, no one expected her body to travel so far.

Sorry, my apologies again to Paul's loved ones.

85 days missing.

I really truly thought Paul would have either come home by now, or would have been 'found.'

The Yellowstone River is still running very high compared to other years, but there are people out fishing and rafting daily. I have seen nothing on our local news about either Paul's disappearance, nor Brandon Fitch's recovery effort.

Paul's family and friends: please forgive my next remarks. There are no readily available statistics about how far a person's body might might travel on such a major river through the spring runoff and flood seasons. Brandon, who was reportedly seen entering the Yellowstone River at Reed Point on June 16th, has still not been recovered. In July of 2016, the body of one young girl, 12 year old Taeva Hawkins, traveled 6 miles from the point she went into the river. So many variables are different in each case and I am sure these are extremely problematic for a search and recovery effort -- the date and location a person entered the river, their physical weight and height, the condition of the river (flow, height, temperature, debris), seasonal weather, location of dams and tributaries. But as far as I can tell, no searchers for either Paul nor Brandon have looked nearly as far as 6 miles. I believe when they were searching for Taeva, no one expected her body to travel so far.

Sorry, my apologies again to Paul's loved ones.

You're being very sensitive about the reality of the situation, loreet.

I still hold out hope that Paul took off, in a planned way... but it's gotta be torture for his loved ones/friends who just do not know.

If you're out there, Paul...people care and want to know you're okay.

All great points. The bottom line is that he was in Bozeman on Sunday afternoon. He had a job interview the next morning in Bozeman. There is absolutely no reason why he would have ventured out to Reed Point on Sunday evening. He most likely would have gone for a walk or a drive around town, had a drink and maybe some dinner and then called it a night. I wish we had more information - like where was he staying in Bozeman? By now I'm sure they have video cameras checked - did they spot him anywhere? I'm guessing the reason his car was said to be in Reed Point on Sunday evening is that someone saw it parked there and reported it to the police. Also, it was on the security camera (with the extremely suspicious missing 5 minutes.) To me this smacks of foul play or the only other explanation would be that Paul wanted to disappear for some reason. But where did he go?
very suspiscous

I'm guessing the reason his car was said to be in Reed Point on Sunday evening is that someone saw it parked there and reported it to the police. Also, it was on the security camera (with the extremely suspicious missing 5 minutes.) To me this smacks of foul play or the only other explanation would be that Paul wanted to disappear for some reason. But where did he go?

very suspiscous

Re: security camera (with the extremely suspicious missing 5 minutes)
^^ The security camera with the missing 5 minutes - IS RUMOR.
To my knowledge, this was not ever reported by LE or MSM.

There is no way Paul could have gotten from the Bozeman Public Library onto the Interstate heading out of town without passing through 2 traffic cams. I am sure these have been checked to see if/when Paul went through those intersections, whether he was alone in his car, etc. This article confirms the details of his travel across the state:

Search continues for missing Illinois man nearly two weeks after his car was found in Reed Point

"Police have confirmed Batson was in Bozeman briefly on April 29 on the east side of town in a public library. Batson was last in contact with his girlfriend that day while in Bozeman, according to the Stillwater County Sheriff’s Office. Investigators say Batson entered Montana on April 29 and drove in the western part of the state, possibly through Butte, before continuing east to Bozeman and on to Reed Point. Law enforcement are still trying to figure out why Batson apparently traveled to Reed Point."

The Billings Gazette is the state's largest newspaper. I generally trust their reporting.

There is no way Paul could have gotten from the Bozeman Public Library onto the Interstate heading out of town without passing through 2 traffic cams. I am sure these have been checked to see if/when Paul went through those intersections, whether he was alone in his car, etc. This article confirms the details of his travel across the state:

Search continues for missing Illinois man nearly two weeks after his car was found in Reed Point

"Police have confirmed Batson was in Bozeman briefly on April 29 on the east side of town in a public library. Batson was last in contact with his girlfriend that day while in Bozeman, according to the Stillwater County Sheriff’s Office. Investigators say Batson entered Montana on April 29 and drove in the western part of the state, possibly through Butte, before continuing east to Bozeman and on to Reed Point. Law enforcement are still trying to figure out why Batson apparently traveled to Reed Point."

The Billings Gazette is the state's largest newspaper. I generally trust their reporting.
I'm just puzzled by the use of the word "apparently":
"Law enforcement are still trying to figure out why Batson apparently traveled to Reed Point."

It could mean that while his car ended up in Reed Point, they are not certain that Paul Batson was in the car that arrived at Reed Point.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nycissa
Back