MT MT - Paul Batson, 45, Stillwater Co, 29 Apr 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Steels! I did not even think of this. Certainly could be something. This makes it awful to think that LE are taking this as a non criminal matter if this is the case. This is certainly on my possibilities list now.

I read the other day about a young girl who was held captive 10 days in an underground bunker type thing in a wooded area, IIRC she pulled out her own hair and left it wherever she could so that scent dogs could track her.

Thanks, Ana!

I remember when the cops did a visit to my kids school years back and they were teaching the kids what to do if they were abducted, such as try to leave their finger prints every place they could (trunk of car, seats, any room they were in and so on) because the oils on your fingers would help them lift a finger print off of those items.

Many parents were there, including myself for this and it was very informative- all the kids' finger prints were taken (with permission of the parents, of course). They also said if possible, leave a trail behind of anything they had on them or in their pockets- gum, candy, wrappers, combs, barrettes or hair ties, pieces of hair, an earring or necklace, hair (like that girl who pulled her hair out that you mentioned), the top of a finger nail, shoe, house key, buttons, hats, etc.

Perhaps Paul has heard of such a thing to do in case of abduction, and it was the one thing he was able to leave behind? Perhaps I am grasping at straws with the keys, but I just figured it might be a clue he left behind to tell others he didn't leave on his own doing.

My heart goes out to his family and friends. This is just so sad. :(

The Bozeman Public Library is open until 5:00 PM on Sundays. 4:00 PM on a Sunday would be a relatively busy time at the library, along the nearby bicycle/walking trail, and at the nearby parks (Lindley and Bogart Parks, Peets Hill). I find it very unlikely that any nefarious harm could have come to Paul in that area. I am local and my children and their friends ride their bikes to and from the library and local parks safely all the time.

Montana waters are high and fast right now. Even experienced hikers and fisher-persons can be taken by surprise.

I thought I read somewhere that is phone was in the car and it had been dead 4 hours before the car was parked and that there was a charger in the car. I need to find the article

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I thought I read somewhere that is phone was in the car and it had been dead 4 hours before the car was parked and that there was a charger in the car. I need to find the article

“The Stillwater County sheriff's department reported Tuesday rescuers searched an additional 200 to 250 acres Monday near Reed Point for Paul Batson and found nothing. Batson's cellphone is missing. Sheriff's officials believe it has either been turned off or run out of power.”

“The Stillwater County sheriff's department reported Tuesday rescuers searched an additional 200 to 250 acres Monday near Reed Point for Paul Batson and found nothing. Batson's cellphone is missing. Sheriff's officials believe it has either been turned off or run out of power.”
Sorry it wasn't a news article it was another post

Cell coverage is very spotty between Bozeman and Reed Point.

Most definitely!!!

Thank you so much, "Chicago Girl"! Here are a few things on my mind...

1) Do you consider Paul to be someone who would be cautious (street smart) or unreserved/carefree, in regard to strangers? Like can you imagine him picking up a hitchhiker -- or gabbing it up with strangers in a new town -- or would he more stick to himself?
2) Did Paul ever talk about his love of hiking/exploring/adventures? Does he seem like a spontaneous person, or a big planner?
3) Did you ever see him out of sorts/down, in way that stuck out? Do you recall any lengthy absences he took on the job? Any physical problems he had (back/knee pain, etc.)?
4) He was said to have a rather sarcastic sense of humor...could you see him taking that to a point where he could offend/anger someone?
5) (For Ana) Do you know if he has a dog? :-)

Checking in on Paul. [emoji258]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Thank you so much, "Chicago Girl"! Here are a few things on my mind...

1) Do you consider Paul to be someone who would be cautious (street smart) or unreserved/carefree, in regard to strangers? Like can you imagine him picking up a hitchhiker -- or gabbing it up with strangers in a new town -- or would he more stick to himself?
2) Did Paul ever talk about his love of hiking/exploring/adventures? Does he seem like a spontaneous person, or a big planner?
3) Did you ever see him out of sorts/down, in way that stuck out? Do you recall any lengthy absences he took on the job? Any physical problems he had (back/knee pain, etc.)?
4) He was said to have a rather sarcastic sense of humor...could you see him taking that to a point where he could offend/anger someone?
5) (For Ana) Do you know if he has a dog? :-)

1. My husband and I have often spoke about the way Paul made us feel as if we lived in Mayberry. (Hopefully, you’re old enough to get that:) He was wise and funny and well traveled and intelligent, but there was something “trusting” about him. It was actually a good quality missing from our society today. In this case now, it’s a frightening quality for his own welfare and it was the first thing my husband and I mentioned to one another when we were told the news of his being missing.

2. I don’t recall Paul ever mentioning the outdoors or hiking in particular. I know that he and his girlfriend love to travel. Of course, he loved being outside! He served in the Navy so he was very fit and rather tall, but I never thought when I first heard the news that he went hiking or fishing and met his demise. He loves baseball and Batman:)

3. No! He never seemed down, but he wasn’t “up” in a superficial way. He was just rock steady. Quick to smile or crack a corny joke. And, he was always on the route except for vacation! It was said that he would be the type to come to work if his leg were cut off and I can see the truth in that while exaggerated. He did mention to my husband shoulder pain he was having. My husband had rotator cuff surgery and Paul admired him for making that choice. He said that he had an old injury that had grown beyond repair and caused him pain. I think he had trouble lifting one of his arms above his head.

4. The first time I met Paul, I parked on the street (public) in front of our house downtown. He pulled up and said, “You parked in my place”. Not knowing Paul, I started to move my car. He immediately put me at ease and laughed warmly and told me that he was joking. That was the most sarcastic I ever saw him. I could never see him taking it too far with anyone. He was far too kind for that. He would pull the garbage cans in for our neighbor who is widowed on garbage day. So thoughtful!

5. Paul did not have a dog to my knowledge.

I’m going to try and disregard what hasn’t been posted in msm about the keys.

This is all just my theory from my own personal experiences.

If I was trying to move to an area I would definitely explore the surrounding areas for things to do. Checking out the river if it’s a well known access point at an hour drive especially on a Sunday afternoon when pretty much everything is closed. Eat dinner, take a drive and take a walk. What doesn’t work for me in this scenario is where he parked, if you want to explore the river, you park near the river, not the post office and gas station. You could park to get some water or supplies but that means talking to a local that I hope would recall him. Why park blocks away unless you are meeting someone who is going to show you around? I haven’t looked at a satellite view to see if maybe it’s a public lot. Was town particularly busy that he would have grabbed the first spot he found? Was Reed Point on his short list that he parked at the post office just to see what was within walking distance?

Maybe I am too trusting of the mountain small towns but I just find foul play hard to believe. I think he decided to go for a drive, go for a walk and slipped/tripped and fell into the river. I don’t think it was intentional I think it was an accident.

I think if he was used to walking long distances he and after being in a car for so long he grabbed a parking spot and decided to stretch his legs and an unfortunate accident happened.

I’m going to try and disregard what hasn’t been posted in msm about the keys.

This is all just my theory from my own personal experiences.

If I was trying to move to an area I would definitely explore the surrounding areas for things to do. Checking out the river if it’s a well known access point at an hour drive especially on a Sunday afternoon when pretty much everything is closed. Eat dinner, take a drive and take a walk. What doesn’t work for me in this scenario is where he parked, if you want to explore the river, you park near the river, not the post office and gas station. You could park to get some water or supplies but that means talking to a local that I hope would recall him. Why park blocks away unless you are meeting someone who is going to show you around? I haven’t looked at a satellite view to see if maybe it’s a public lot. Was town particularly busy that he would have grabbed the first spot he found? Was Reed Point on his short list that he parked at the post office just to see what was within walking distance?

Maybe I am too trusting of the mountain small towns but I just find foul play hard to believe. I think he decided to go for a drive, go for a walk and slipped/tripped and fell into the river. I don’t think it was intentional I think it was an accident.

I think if he was used to walking long distances he and after being in a car for so long he grabbed a parking spot and decided to stretch his legs and an unfortunate accident happened.

I agree with everything you said. I get his parking at the Reed Point post office. It was a familiar location, in terms of business hours and operating protocols. I have done exactly the same thing, not parking at a post office but parking at a familiar business/administrative entity in an unfamiliar town. If he had either a paper map or Google Maps pulled up on his phone, he would see that he could walk down to the river access. This is exactly what I would likely have done.

Has it been said whether Paul knew anyone in that area?

And thank you, Chicagogirl for telling us a bit more about him. He really does sound like a good guy!

I was born in Montana, lived on both coasts for relatively long periods, but have spent most of my life in the state. Bozeman is surrounded by mountains and live water; Big Sky Resort is approximately 60 miles south. Lots to see and do. To the east of Bozeman is Livingston known for outstanding fishing, fabulous scenery it’s one of the gateways to Yellowstone Park. Whereas, Reed Point is not a recreational or scenic hotspot in any sense of the word. Access available to the Yellowstone River but the area is relatively flat with rolling hills and very minimal amenities. As such it doesn’t make sense Paul would drive there to sightsee. Perhaps he became ill or was going to meet someone. The Yellowstone River is very high and fast moving and contains lots of natural debris this time of year. If Paul fell in the river his body may well be trapped under a tree and might not be discovered until flows subside. Bewildering and very unsettling case. I hope Paul is okay wherever he is.😢

1. My husband and I have often spoke about the way Paul made us feel as if we lived in Mayberry. (Hopefully, you’re old enough to get that:) He was wise and funny and well traveled and intelligent, but there was something “trusting” about him. It was actually a good quality missing from our society today. In this case now, it’s a frightening quality for his own welfare and it was the first thing my husband and I mentioned to one another when we were told the news of his being missing.

2. I don’t recall Paul ever mentioning the outdoors or hiking in particular. I know that he and his girlfriend love to travel. Of course, he loved being outside! He served in the Navy so he was very fit and rather tall, but I never thought when I first heard the news that he went hiking or fishing and met his demise. He loves baseball and Batman:)

3. No! He never seemed down, but he wasn’t “up” in a superficial way. He was just rock steady. Quick to smile or crack a corny joke. And, he was always on the route except for vacation! It was said that he would be the type to come to work if his leg were cut off and I can see the truth in that while exaggerated. He did mention to my husband shoulder pain he was having. My husband had rotator cuff surgery and Paul admired him for making that choice. He said that he had an old injury that had grown beyond repair and caused him pain. I think he had trouble lifting one of his arms above his head.

4. The first time I met Paul, I parked on the street (public) in front of our house downtown. He pulled up and said, “You parked in my place”. Not knowing Paul, I started to move my car. He immediately put me at ease and laughed warmly and told me that he was joking. That was the most sarcastic I ever saw him. I could never see him taking it too far with anyone. He was far too kind for that. He would pull the garbage cans in for our neighbor who is widowed on garbage day. So thoughtful!

Ah! I saw your wonderful story (point 4) on the page where the family are keeping updates. It really is so amazing to see so many wonderful things being said about Paul. I do hope that a light hasn't been put out of this world.

Thank you SO much, Chicagogirl! I find all this info so helpful, as well as your other replies to us. I'm so upset that Paul hasn't been found yet, and I'm going to take some time to absorb all you said. We so appreciate your sharing about Paul with us... it just makes me like him even more as a human being, and I feel even more invested in this now. Oh, and I know the "Andy Griffith Show," and that was a very cute mention :wink:... and really explains Paul's essence. :heartbeat:

I feel the same way. I hope and pray that foul play wasn't involved- he seems like a wonderful man, one that the world truly needs more of, not less. Yet there's this little thought niggling in the back of my head about the keys being found outside his car that just won't go away. Along with the five minutes of surveillance tape coincidentally blanking out just as he got there. When does that happen?

The only source for the missing tape story is the person who dropped in this thread right in the beginning, posted 3 times, then never posted again.

I want to say no... but a little bit, yes. :runaway:

Haha, AnaPisces, so cute, your running away.:winkkiss:

I know what you mean. I was confused by that too, but I'm thinking it may be more the person thought they may need to be cautious on info, like weren't sure all they could say...didn't know if they could answer all our questions, so got a little nervous .:hills:

But we're easy! We understand if someone just says "don't know" or "don't feel comfortable sharing that," etc.:peace:

Some posts and responses have been removed due to information stated as fact with no MSM to substantiate, and/or source not being a Verified Insider.

:wave:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Datsyuk