MT MT - Paul Batson, 45, Stillwater Co, 29 Apr 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm wondering whether the car was found locked? Do we know?

And, although the keys-on-the-ground story has to be considered rumor (thanks SeesSeas for reminding us!), if they were Paul's car keys, I wonder how far from the car they were found.

If he himself dropped them, maybe he was on the phone and that's why he didn't notice the sound when they fell?

Just speculation.

I wish we would hear more details. And above all I wish he would be found! I'm a huge dog lover myself and people like him have a special place in my heart.

Slightly OT: my former neighbor back in Bozeman says that as far as she knows, they aren't related to Paul, but she's been following the story and worrying about him. ,

And, although the keys-on-the-ground story has to be considered rumor (thanks SeesSeas for reminding us!), if they were Paul's car keys, I wonder how far from the car they were found.

If he himself dropped them, maybe he was on the phone and that's why he didn't notice the sound when they fell?

Just speculation.

I wish we would hear more details. And above all I wish he would be found! I'm a huge dog lover myself and people like him have a special place in my heart.

RBBM

“[Stillwater County Sheriff’s Sgt. Randy] Smith would not say if Batson’s car was locked when it was found, but it has been impounded. Efforts to locate Batson through his cell phone have been unsuccessful, leading investigators to believe the phone is either turned off or out of battery.” (BBM)

https://www.stillwatercountynews.com/noresultsonsearch

RBBM

“[Stillwater County Sheriff’s Sgt. Randy] Smith would not say if Batson’s car was locked when it was found, but it has been impounded. Efforts to locate Batson through his cell phone have been unsuccessful, leading investigators to believe the phone is either turned off or out of battery.” (BBM)

https://www.stillwatercountynews.com/noresultsonsearch

They won't say?...I'm not frustrated about that, really, I'm not.:pullhair:

They won't say?...I'm not frustrated about that, really, I'm not.:pullhair:

Lol me neither, really! ;)

So we don't know if it was locked. Thanks inmyhumbleopinion!

Well if it was locked, it's likely Paul locked it himself. imo Would someone who just did something nefarious and just wants to ditch the car take the time to lock it? I don't think they would.

But alas, we don't know. :shakehead:

Quick questions (I apologize if this has been covered):

1. Was he parked in the PO's parking lot or in the breakdown lane in front of the building?
2. Were the keys on the driver's side of the vehicle?
3. What do the keys look like? Big ring, big jumble of keys, or something smaller?
4. What are the business hours of the gas station?

Not sure where I'm going with any of this, just trying to picture the keys being dropped and the keys being found... wondering at how those things occurred.

All MOO, as always.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Could he have dropped them on the ground on purpose as a clue that he did not leave voluntary?

Steels! I did not even think of this. Certainly could be something. This makes it awful to think that LE are taking this as a non criminal matter if this is the case. This is certainly on my possibilities list now.

I read the other day about a young girl who was held captive 10 days in an underground bunker type thing in a wooded area, IIRC she pulled out her own hair and left it wherever she could so that scent dogs could track her.

Just speculation.

I don't think we do know. But, do we know what type/how old the car is? Because my car is relatively new and auto locks after a few minutes if I don't lock it or open any doors/trunk. That might be something to consider too?

Agree... not a good sign. :tears:Thanks for scouring the web. I'm really hoping a new article comes out soon.

I saw your dog question...went back to look over some things, but sorry that I couldn't find an answer on that.

:heartluv: No matter, Think, I appreciate it.

We just gotta slowly piece this together... I hope Paul is found safe and well before that.

Quick questions (I apologize if this has been covered):

1. Was he parked in the PO's parking lot or in the breakdown lane in front of the building?
2. Were the keys on the driver's side of the vehicle?
3. What do the keys look like? Big ring, big jumble of keys, or something smaller?
4. What are the business hours of the gas station?

Not sure where I'm going with any of this, just trying to picture the keys being dropped and the keys being found... wondering at how those things occurred.

All MOO, as always.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Q4: Post #23 has the gas station website with a FB link. Although the FB page stated another location, they are closed on Sundays.
Q3: 2016 dodge chargers have key fobs via google it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I was going to give up on the keys thing, but I agree that Paul dropping them on purpose (as an alert) is a possibility that never occurred to me either, Ana (thanks, "steelslady")! So I'm not giving up on thinking about the keys (though LE hasn't verified the keys item). LE won't say if the car doors were locked, so now I'm a little irritated and will keep obsessing over the keys.:giggle:

Traymar, I appreciate your questions.
#2...no idea, as it was a local who came on our thread who mentioned the keys, and there was no detail on which side of the car, but good question.
#3...same answer as #2 really -- just "keys" were stated, nothing more detailed.

I'll come back here in a minute and give you that local's post # to read... It is Post #8.

I can't believe he has not been found yet. I am leaning towards foul play when you put all the pieces together. Especially the small gap in surveillance footage that PERFECTLY covers when the driver left the vehicle. But the police stated they think Paul drove there on his own accord. So odd. I am leaning toward a possible car jacking gone wrong or hitchhiker situation?

It has been ONE WEEK since ArcadeKris posted 3 comments. There has been no further update.
Several points made by ArcadeKris are not substantiated by media reports or LE, including about keys and surveillance.

Also, how does ArcadeKris know the following details:
No items of value were stolen from the vehicle
His cell phone had been dead for 4 hours before the car arrived here

Fact or fiction? Keys, surveillance, cell phone, valuable items

I am in this town right now. They have been up and down the river and ate currently there with boats and dogs. This man's oldest Son has been here wandering around just hoping for any information. I can honestly say I do not believe Paul Batson ever made it to Reed Point. Yes his car was abandoned here but I do not believe he was still in it at the time. The only surveillance they have is from the small gas station and the footage was terrible. Interestingly enough, you do see the car pull into the space at the post office but then the feed just stopped recording for 5 minutes and when it starts again no one is in the vehicle. No items of value were stolen from the vehicle either. His cell phone had been dead for 4 hours before the car arrived here, yet there was a working charger in the car. It's a very suspicious case and the fact that you can't take a dump here without neighbors knowing makes it even more odd because this was at 7:09 pm and no one remembers seeing anything...

The post office may have been his destination, he was a postal worker who had just interviewed in a nearby town as well as a few other places looking to transfer to the state.
This town is really small, the only other businesses currently running are an RV park and a bar, the gas station was actually already closed when the vehicle arrived.
The gas station owner notified police that some keys had been found on the ground outside the car the following morning before anything was opened at which time the sheriff left a note on the driver side window with a number for the owner to contact him. The gas station owner went and reviewed his footage during that time because no one recognized the car. The following day, Paul Batsons girlfriend reported him missing and that the last time they had spoke was Sunday around three p.m. in a town 70 miles from here so when an APB was put put on the car they got a bit on the plate and towed it to the local sheriff station.

I apologize for my delayed response, I am currently traveling but I can answer a lot of these questions this evening as well as add some additional info I learned last night.

It sounds as though ArcadeKris may be an insider perhaps?? The phone sounds as though they time frame could have been mistaken for dead, because that is one of the comments made by LE. The report said turned off or dead and the time difference could have matched up to the last time he spoke to his girlfriend until the car is parked in front of the gas station.

I also think maybe, more inside info was given, then what should have been. That could be the reason for the no-return. That is what I'm thinking. You do have a good point about the speculations at this point.

I’m so thankful to have discovered this group! Paul is our mail carrier and we miss him dearly. I am shocked (and disappointed) that his story has not reached national news. I think that would be most helpful!

Let me share what little I know. Paul is wonderful. He is kind, tenacious, organized, loyal, and hysterical. Bringing mail to each of our doors here in suburban Chicago allowed all of us to feel like he was part of our family.

He was so proud of his car and took great care of it. The 2016 Dodge Charger that he drive out to Colorado and then on to Montana. We knew he was going on vacation and should’ve been back on our route about a week and a half ago. He wanted to be closer to his boys in Colorado. He is a devoted father. He mentioned that he and his girlfriend were looking to buy a home soon. Property AND property taxes around here are CRAZY. It makes perfect sense to me that he would look out West closer to his boys. Eight hours seems far, but when you’ve lived a day’s travel away for years, eight hours is nothing.

So I think the media has gotten the story confused in some places. He was going out there to investigate, to look at the area. He had at least one interview scheduled. He had NOT been hired yet. Some are saying he has the job. He didn’t not and never implied that to any family or friends.

His last text is to his girlfriend (a wonderful person just like Paul). He says that he is at the Bozeman Public Library. It was around 4:00pm. He tells her that his interview is set for the next morning in Bozeman. She does not him from again which the Foul Play theroist in me belives that something happened to him in Bozeman. Knowing Paul, I think it’s very odd that he would drive an hour away from Bozeman (and closer to Chicago) when his interview is in Bozeman the next morning.

Like many of you, I want to scream, “FOCUS ON BOZEMAN!!! FORGET REED POINT!!!”

The Voluntary Theorist in me though thinks that LE know more than they’re divulging (unless there’s a cover up). They seems so confident that it wasn’t foul play and that he was indeed in Reed Point. Paul was in excellent physical condition and they have stressed that he is capable of walking up to 10 miles a day (which is true from his job). It sounds as though they’re hunting someone they know is running. I feel terrible even suggesting that.

The family (I personally feel) has been very quiet which is totally understandable. I cannot imagine their level of anxiety, heartache, and frustration. However, I have wondered if perhaps, Paul suffered in some way from a mental or emotional disorder (as many of us do) that could’ve led to behavior such as this if he failed to take his meds. Again, I’m totally guessing here.

I’m so torn. I do think he was so devoted to his sons, family, and girlfriend that were he to have committed suicide, he would’ve made himself more discoverable so that they could have closure and at some point benefit from his pension. (He was to retire in five years.)

Suicide is just out for me. I think it’s foul play that happened in Bozeman or voluntarily wandering due to illness.

Sorry for the rambling! Thanks for letting me vent. We just want him found and pray he’s found safe!!!

Was his phone not found in the car with the battery dead? If so he wouldn't have been on it when he exited the car.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I’m so thankful to have discovered this group! Paul is our mail carrier and we miss him dearly. I am shocked (and disappointed) that his story has not reached national news. I think that would be most helpful!

Let me share what little I know. Paul is wonderful. He is kind, tenacious, organized, loyal, and hysterical. Bringing mail to each of our doors here in suburban Chicago allowed all of us to feel like he was part of our family.

He was so proud of his car and took great care of it. The 2016 Dodge Charger that he drive out to Colorado and then on to Montana. We knew he was going on vacation and should’ve been back on our route about a week and a half ago. He wanted to be closer to his boys in Colorado. He is a devoted father. He mentioned that he and his girlfriend were looking to buy a home soon. Property AND property taxes around here are CRAZY. It makes perfect sense to me that he would look out West closer to his boys. Eight hours seems far, but when you’ve lived a day’s travel away for years, eight hours is nothing.

So I think the media has gotten the story confused in some places. He was going out there to investigate, to look at the area. He had at least one interview scheduled. He had NOT been hired yet. Some are saying he has the job. He didn’t not and never implied that to any family or friends.

His last text is to his girlfriend (a wonderful person just like Paul). He says that he is at the Bozeman Public Library. It was around 4:00pm. He tells her that his interview is set for the next morning in Bozeman. She does not him from again which the Foul Play theroist in me belives that something happened to him in Bozeman. Knowing Paul, I think it’s very odd that he would drive an hour away from Bozeman (and closer to Chicago) when his interview is in Bozeman the next morning.

Like many of you, I want to scream, “FOCUS ON BOZEMAN!!! FORGET REED POINT!!!”

The Voluntary Theorist in me though thinks that LE know more than they’re divulging (unless there’s a cover up). They seems so confident that it wasn’t foul play and that he was indeed in Reed Point. Paul was in excellent physical condition and they have stressed that he is capable of walking up to 10 miles a day (which is true from his job). It sounds as though they’re hunting someone they know is running. I feel terrible even suggesting that.

The family (I personally feel) has been very quiet which is totally understandable. I cannot imagine their level of anxiety, heartache, and frustration. However, I have wondered if perhaps, Paul suffered in some way from a mental or emotional disorder (as many of us do) that could’ve led to behavior such as this if he failed to take his meds. Again, I’m totally guessing here.

I’m so torn. I do think he was so devoted to his sons, family, and girlfriend that were he to have committed suicide, he would’ve made himself more discoverable so that they could have closure and at some point benefit from his pension. (He was to retire in five years.)

Suicide is just out for me. I think it’s foul play that happened in Bozeman or voluntarily wandering due to illness.

Sorry for the rambling! Thanks for letting me vent. We just want him found and pray he’s found safe!!!

Thank you, for coming on the thread...I really appreciate your thoughts. Can I (or others) ask you some follow-up questions about Paul? I understand you knew him as your carrier, so I understand it would be asking questions on your general impression... in other words, it's just your opinion from your experiences seeing him.

Thank you, for coming on the thread...I really appreciate your thoughts. Can I (or others) ask you some follow-up questions about Paul? I understand you knew him as your carrier, so I understand it would be asking questions on your general impression... in other words, it's just your opinion from your experiences seeing him.

Most definitely! Sorry for the double response. I have no idea how best to reply.

Was his phone not found in the car with the battery dead? If so he wouldn't have been on it when he exited the car.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reports say his travel bag was inside his car, but his cell phone and wallet were not.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Datsyuk
Back