MT MT - Paul Batson, 45, Stillwater Co, 29 Apr 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm another from the area -- grew up in Bozeman, been through Reedpoint dozens of times. A couple of data points that might help:

One thing Reedpoint is known for is access to the Yellowstone River for trout fishing. It's a tiny town, only a couple hundred people, but seeing a stranger park a car and head to the river wouldn't be unusual -- even in the middle of the night, because he might be trying to get to a favorite spot to be there at dawn.

I-90 is a major four-lane interstate highway with heavy truck traffic.

Reedpoint is a tiny town, but Bozeman is a good sized city, around 40K people in the city with another 40K in the surrounding area. Montana State University is there, and dozens of hotels cater to the tourist business. A stranger would not be noticed.

Okay, I found something I thought would help us get a better sense of who Paul is... within this article (below) there is a reference (link) to "caringbridge.org"...and if you click on that, you will see what his GF (Stacie, who sounds very caring) wrote/is coordinating to support Paul's three sons during this stressful time...

But what I really found helpful was going to the journal entries on that page (click on icon there) and reading all the personal comments/stories about Paul. It just made me realize how beloved he is -- and after reading all that, I am finding it even harder now to imagine this is him voluntarily going missing (but yes, there are things nobody may know; I realize that). He sure sounds like a truly great, caring guy (and there's humor in the stories too).

Anyway, just thought others may want to get a better sense of Paul too. :heartbeat:

Here's the link to story... he caringbridge link is at the end of the article:

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20...hing-regarding-batavia-man-missing-in-montana

CLARIFICATION:

JOURNAL COMMENTS was where I found a wealth of info about Paul... long, personal, detailed notes from many -- I did not mean the journal entries, per se -- but everything good to read on the site.:smile:

You're good sleuthers... you will snoop it all out! :smile:

Okay, I found something I thought would help us get a better sense of who Paul is... within this article (below) there is a reference (link) to "caringbridge.org"...and if you click on that, you will see what his GF (Stacie, who sounds very caring) wrote/is coordinating to support Paul's three sons during this stressful time...

But what I really found helpful was going to the journal entries on that page (click on icon there) and reading all the personal comments/stories about Paul. It just made me realize how beloved he is -- and after reading all that, I am finding it even harder now to imagine this is him voluntarily going missing (but yes, there are things nobody may know; I realize that). He sure sounds like a truly great, caring guy (and there's humor in the stories too).

Anyway, just thought others may want to get a better sense of Paul too. :heartbeat:

Here's the link to story... he caringbridge link is at the end of the article:

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20...hing-regarding-batavia-man-missing-in-montana

I thought the same thing about Jennifer Marshell White and others thought the same possibly with Scott Mayer, but sadly, they took their own lives, to the shock and horror of loved ones and friends. I truly hope Paul didn't, but his disappearance is strange, to be honest. He was looking to transfer jobs closer to his kids, yet never made the interview? Something seems off about this.

I thought the same thing about Jennifer Marshell White and others thought the same possibly with Scott Mayer, but sadly, they took their own lives, to the shock and horror of loved ones and friends. I truly hope Paul didn't, but his disappearance is strange, to be honest. He was looking to transfer jobs closer to his kids, yet never made the interview? Something seems off about this.

Sadly, when a person is depressed, it's often the case that they either can't see how precious and loved they are, and honestly believe their loved ones would be better off without them. Often there's the thought that if they knew the truth, they'd be horrified and disgusted. I was on the verge of going off on that path--thank goodness my kids pulled me out. I'm not saying that Paul is depressed, but the details worry me.

Carbuff - I’m glad u are here with us. I have followed your posts on many, many threads thru the years & always appreciate your input.

Kids are such a blessing, huh? So glad they were there for u.

One of the things that bothers me... his nice and new sporty dodge charger. If he was taken, why not take the car.
I'm not from MT but have been in Bozeman, etc. lots. I remember seeing trucks. Most locals had trucks. A car with IL plates would stick out. Somebody saw something and aren't talking.
They should have locals check their lots and out buildings.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

At the time of Paul’s disappearance the Yellowstone River was running very high and fast. If he did fall in the river while fishing it could be some time before his body is recovered. I hope he is soon found alive and well. However, sadly something seems very off.

Good morning :coffeews:

Some great sleuthing going on in here, thanks everyone. Sorry I missed a bunch, yesterday was a busy day.

I really hope they have been able to determine that it was Paul driving the car. But I also wquestion why they wouldn't have released that info if they do know that. It seems in most cases they would just say "He was last seen on camera when he left his vehicle at... etc etc". Also, did they not say beforehand that this was suspicious? Or am I remembering it wrong? Because if so, that is a complete contradiction from them stating they don't think it is a criminal matter.

Thank you carbuff for your local insight, that gives me more hope that this is voluntary... (not for the fact that he may of killed himself, but because he still may be able to be saved).

Gonna go check out your link now, Think. I would love to know a little more about Paul. I'm so very worried.

Here's what screams 'voluntary' to me about this. If Paul wanted to move nearer his children- for crying out loud- IS there a job with more locations than the USPS? The nearest thing he could find was eight hours from them? I call BS on that.

Now, I don't know WHY he would want to disappear- either to escape his current life and start another OR to harm himself. But it seems like a long, long way to go for the latter.

MOO and all that jazz....

Here's what screams 'voluntary' to me about this. If Paul wanted to move nearer his children- for crying out loud- IS there a job with more locations than the USPS? The nearest thing he could find was eight hours from them? I call BS on that.

Now, I don't know WHY he would want to disappear- either to escape his current life and start another OR to harm himself. But it seems like a long, long way to go for the latter.

MOO and all that jazz....

Well. There was a post up thread about if he wanted to transfer and there was not a position available he’d had have to like “trade” posts with someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off topic a bit
I've never heard of anyone using the caringbridge.org website services for anything but health issues.
1st time I've heard of a missing person website at CB. People can get updates from family but leave only support messages. Very interesting

MeanMaryJean, you make some very good points there.

However, playing the Devil's Advocate here--I work for USPS and basically they have an on/off hiring freeze. Yes, they hire still hire people, but that's because other people are leaving. New jobs aren't being created so much as being consolidated and given to younger workers more willing and able to have a "temporary" job that works you six or even seven days a week. Since Paul is a regular (being optimistic here), he CAN transfer out of his office to another office, but then finding the one you want is more of a problem. The postal service attracts some of the best people, but it also attracts some of the worst. The worst will either flame out or they make management. A really great seeming office can hide a psycho as your boss. I run a small office which is a satellite of larger one. The larger one has seen a high turnover for postmasters. Some were mediocre, others were bat-**** crazy, and a few rare ones were very good. I have a very good one right now. But in any case, Paul would be at a disadvantage of knowing what sort of person he'd be working for the further away he got from his office. Local, yes, the reputation is known by other offices, but that many states away would be hard to know what to believe. Maybe he got good reports for Bozeman. Maybe offices closer than eight hours from his children were either not available because the old-timers aren't retiring, or maybe they have some sketchy or bad bosses, or maybe Bozeman seemed like the right place for him. Paul could've chosen that city because of the location was close to what interested him, beyond just being near his children. By the way, I'm in Washington State, and Eastern Washington. Montana is far but can be driven in a day. I've never just made a day trip there (although have been to Missoula half dozen times or more) but an hour and a half is almost nothing, especially if you want to drive around because you have nothing better to do. Going for a drive is something that I've done myself, sometimes for an hour, sometimes three hours. Not to say Paul's mindset was the same as mine. And when I think about it, not knowing him whatsoever, my opinion is that he probably went for a drive, went to check out the river, and had an unfortunate accident. I don't think anything criminal happened to him, nor do I think he did himself in. All the postal workers I've known over the years have had a really strong will to live. That sounds strange, but given how hard it is to work for the postal service, and how the public generally doesn't appreciate how hard it is, you really have to be flat out tough as nails. Some of them turn to booze, others turn to religion, humor or charity work, or all of the above to cope with the negativity. It isn't just the hours, it's the intense mental, physical stress added to the emotional stress of dealing with bad bosses, bad co-workers, and bad relations with some members of the public. Before I come off sounding cynical about the public, my experience is that most people are decent, and they want to be happy, and they don't want to be jerks, unless they feel their happiness is being threatened. And even jerks have their good qualities. It's very rare to meet anyone who appears to be flat out evil.

I'll never write a post and try to do housework at the same time again, LOL. I hope I said something useful :thinking:

LOTS of USPS jobs in Montana, Colorado, as well as the state in-between, Wyoming:
https://wp1-ext.usps.gov/sap/bc/webdynpro/sap/hrrcf_a_unreg_job_search#

That link isn’t for a transfer. There is another way for a city carrier to transfer but there has to be an opening. On the city side of the post office, before moving people up the ladder, they may take a transfer. This can take years. I have a friend who is a city carrier wanting out of our state and she has picked several states to transfer to. She is working on a swap right now but if she wants to wait two years she may be able to go exactly where she wants. I’m a rural carrier, we have to swap if we move.

MeanMaryJean, you make some very good points there.

However, playing the Devil's Advocate here--I work for USPS and basically they have an on/off hiring freeze. Yes, they hire still hire people, but that's because other people are leaving. New jobs aren't being created so much as being consolidated and given to younger workers more willing and able to have a "temporary" job that works you six or even seven days a week. Since Paul is a regular (being optimistic here), he CAN transfer out of his office to another office, but then finding the one you want is more of a problem. The postal service attracts some of the best people, but it also attracts some of the worst. The worst will either flame out or they make management. A really great seeming office can hide a psycho as your boss. I run a small office which is a satellite of larger one. The larger one has seen a high turnover for postmasters. Some were mediocre, others were bat-**** crazy, and a few rare ones were very good. I have a very good one right now. But in any case, Paul would be at a disadvantage of knowing what sort of person he'd be working for the further away he got from his office. Local, yes, the reputation is known by other offices, but that many states away would be hard to know what to believe. Maybe he got good reports for Bozeman. Maybe offices closer than eight hours from his children were either not available because the old-timers aren't retiring, or maybe they have some sketchy or bad bosses, or maybe Bozeman seemed like the right place for him. Paul could've chosen that city because of the location was close to what interested him, beyond just being near his children. By the way, I'm in Washington State, and Eastern Washington. Montana is far but can be driven in a day. I've never just made a day trip there (although have been to Missoula half dozen times or more) but an hour and a half is almost nothing, especially if you want to drive around because you have nothing better to do. Going for a drive is something that I've done myself, sometimes for an hour, sometimes three hours. Not to say Paul's mindset was the same as mine. And when I think about it, not knowing him whatsoever, my opinion is that he probably went for a drive, went to check out the river, and had an unfortunate accident. I don't think anything criminal happened to him, nor do I think he did himself in. All the postal workers I've known over the years have had a really strong will to live. That sounds strange, but given how hard it is to work for the postal service, and how the public generally doesn't appreciate how hard it is, you really have to be flat out tough as nails. Some of them turn to booze, others turn to religion, humor or charity work, or all of the above to cope with the negativity. It isn't just the hours, it's the intense mental, physical stress added to the emotional stress of dealing with bad bosses, bad co-workers, and bad relations with some members of the public. Before I come off sounding cynical about the public, my experience is that most people are decent, and they want to be happy, and they don't want to be jerks, unless they feel their happiness is being threatened. And even jerks have their good qualities. It's very rare to meet anyone who appears to be flat out evil.

I'll never write a post and try to do housework at the same time again, LOL. I hope I said something useful :thinking:

I think you said it better than I did!

Off topic a bit
I've never heard of anyone using the caringbridge.org website services for anything but health issues.
1st time I've heard of a missing person website at CB. People can get updates from family but leave only support messages. Very interesting

Agree! Very strange

Paul **might** have relatives not far away. I'm trying to find out for sure; if they are related, we have mutual acquaintances. I'm guessing probably not or it would have been mentioned, but...

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

We know Paul, he's our letter carrier. It has been a real shock to everyone in our neighborhood because is one of the friendliest, most likeable people you'd ever meet a He carries doggie treats in his bag and makes friends with all the dogs on his route, so that tells you something. We set up this account so we can answer a few questions that have been asked. His route is a dense suburban neighborhood, where the carrier walks and delivers mail to a box on each house, so he's used to walking long distances. A neighbor said Paul told her that he likes hiking. Wish we knew more, and we do thank everyone who is trying to help find him.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee
Back