MT MT - Paul Batson, 45, Stillwater Co, 29 Apr 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I like your brainstorming, Think. Maybe I should do a timeline for this, lay it all out for us to see in one place.

That would be wonderful if you are up for it, Ana~mighty nice to offer.

I'm confused as to what was said to whom, same as you are (sister v girlfriend)... and also confused on whether his communications were calls v texts. Is this MSM just getting details wrong? (Don't we all love it when that happens?)

So...:thinking:...this guy who appears like all is going fine with him -- goes to Colorado to see his kids -- then drives back to Illinois, detouring through the area where he (has secured?) a new job... family says he's never taken off before... car is found away from where he was last known to be -- in remote location/rural, where he didn't indicate he was going and seemed to have no reason to go to -- car is "clean" (but does he usually keep it clean?)... keys found on ground... wallet + cell missing (had shut his cell off or didn't charge it back up, though he could have/phone charger in car)...

So what's your point, Think?? I have no point. I often have no point. It's part of my charm.:laughing:

No, it just helps me to write thoughts out... maybe I'll stumble on something in the dark.:facepalm:

So...

It could be foul play, I agree... but the cellphone details makes me lean toward voluntary. Same with keys on the ground. So this is why...

If someone else (nefarious) was driving Paul's car/dumped it at that remote spot, why would that person take the keys out of the car at all? Why place them on the ground? I would think the wrongdoer would just leave them in the car OR be careful about taking them with him...kwim?

Okay, so then if you look at it like Paul was accosted while getting out of his car (clue on that being keys on ground), I'm still back to WHY WAS HE AT THAT REMOTE SPOT ANYWAY? He did not tell anyone he was driving there... which is odd, IMO, since he did text (or call) his girlfriend at 4 p.m. He never mentioned that excursion to his sister either... and if he did go there, he didn't leave his phone on and/or charged. That is suspicious to me...

And this is why I lean toward self-harm, if y'all can follow my thinking... does it make sense? I'm totally open to foul play, but this is a rough idea why I'm leaning this way right now.

Also, Paul's car was seen on video, but I don't believe it stated another vehicle seen...I guess another vehicle could have been out of view...but point being that it had to be more than one nefarious person involved, as how was the driver of Paul's car to then leave the scene/get away? It's a remote area, and not like he hails a taxi.

That would be wonderful if you are up for it, Ana~mighty nice to offer.

I'm confused as to what was said to whom, same as you are (sister v girlfriend)... and also confused on whether his communications were calls v texts. Is this MSM just getting details wrong? (Don't we all love it when that happens?)

So...:thinking:...this guy who appears like all is going fine with him -- goes to Colorado to see his kids -- then drives back to Illinois, detouring through the area where he (has secured?) a new job... family says he's never taken off before... car is found away from where he was last known to be -- in remote location/rural, where he didn't indicate he was going and seemed to have no reason to go to -- car is "clean" (but does he usually keep it clean?)... keys found on ground... wallet + cell missing (had shut his cell off or didn't charge it back up, though he could have/phone charger in car)...

So what's your point, Think?? I have no point. I often have no point. It's part of my charm.:laughing:

No, it just helps me to write thoughts out... maybe I'll stumble on something in the dark.:facepalm:

So...

It could be foul play, I agree... but the cellphone details makes me lean toward voluntary. Same with keys on the ground. So this is why...

If someone else (nefarious) was driving Paul's car/dumped it at that remote spot, why would that person take the keys out of the car at all? Why place them on the ground? I would think the wrongdoer would just leave them in the car OR be careful about taking them with him...kwim?

Okay, so then if you look at it like Paul was accosted while getting out of his car (clue on that being keys on ground), I'm still back to WHY WAS HE AT THAT REMOTE SPOT ANYWAY? He did not tell anyone he was driving there... which is odd, IMO, since he did text (or call) his girlfriend at 4 p.m. He never mentioned that excursion to his sister either... and if he did go there, he didn't leave his phone on and/or charged. That is suspicious to me...

And this is why I lean toward self-harm, if y'all can follow my thinking... does it make sense? I'm totally open to foul play, but this is a rough idea why I'm leaning this way right now.

Also, Paul's car was seen on video, but I don't believe it stated another vehicle seen...I guess another vehicle could have been out of view...but point being that it had to be more than one nefarious person involved, as how was the driver of Paul's car to then leave the scene/get away? It's a remote area, and not like he hails a taxi.

Oh! You just reminded me why I asked about how he had traveled to MT in the first place - it was about the car being clean. Would the car really be so clean that LE would think it noteworthy if he had traveled such a distance in it? Unless of course he had just had it cleaned locally, but my car gets pretty dirty driving through the city here, much less traveling the amount he appears too.

If I can get to doing a timeline this weekend, I will for sure!!

I'm so freakin divided between voluntary and foul play too... so yeah, I have no point either lol :moose:

I really do know that what you mean. Earlier this morning I was all for foul play, maybe I still am, but... what about that he purposefully drove there to get way? Basically, I don't know.

HOWEVER, whyyyyyy was there no damn recordings on the surveillance for those 5 minutes if he walked away himself? It seems nefarious? No??? Am I crazy? Ok, I'm a little crazy, but this whole case is strange, right?

Ugh, I'm drained. Lets get the coffee maker on.

Thank you for your thoughts, Think! I just add a few of mine ...

Okay, so then if you look at it like Paul was accosted while getting out of his car (clue on that being keys on ground), I'm still back to WHY WAS HE AT THAT REMOTE SPOT ANYWAY? He did not tell anyone he was driving there... which is odd, IMO, since he did text (or call) his girlfriend at 4 p.m. He never mentioned that excursion to his sister either...

rsbm

He could have just tried to pass the time until dinner/sleeping by driving around and going for a little walk, getting to know the area he was gonna transfer to? Although, Reed Point is more than an hour drive away from Bozeman ... :thinking:

rsbm

Maybe there was no second vehicle because the person lives in Reed Point?

I'm very split at the moment between foul play and voluntary, or even an accident while he was out walking, though I lean towards foul play.

Regarding the "extremely clean" car, has it been looked at whether he used a car wash while in the area? I assume LE meant to say the car looked cleaner than it should have after all the driving he did.

ETA: Just saw AnaPisces has similar thoughts regarding the clean car. We posted at the same time! :)

rsbm

He could have just tried to pass the time until dinner/sleeping by driving around and going for a little walk, getting to know the area he was gonna transfer to? Although, Reed Point is more than an hour drive away from Bozeman ... :thinking:

rsbm

I'm very split at the moment between foul play and voluntary, or even an accident while he was out walking, though I lean towards foul play.

Regarding the "extremely clean" car, has it been looked at whether he used a car wash while in the area? I assume LE meant to say the car looked cleaner than it should have after all the driving he did.

ETA: Just saw AnaPisces has similar thoughts regarding the clean car. We posted at the same time! :)

Ok, I'm "walking" Reed Point on google maps.

It is so very empty! Although, not empty enough that someone driving Paul's car couldn't have walked home. There a quite a few houses along that stretch. I'm just not sure what reason they would have for harming Paul... (but then, there is no good reason so that doesn't matter anyway, but I mean, he's not a local, I can't see that there would be any animosity between Paul and anyone there, especially someone within walking distance of that post office. Unless, of course, he has more of a connection with Reed Point than we know). Was his girlfriend going to be moving to MT too?

But, also, this is not a place I would expect my car to keep clean. The road conditions do not look the best and the road essentially ends up going to nowhere. The clean car thing is a suspicion for me.

Oh! You just reminded me why I asked about how he had traveled to MT in the first place - it was about the car being clean. Would the car really be so clean that LE would think it noteworthy if he had traveled such a distance in it? Unless of course he had just had it cleaned locally, but my car gets pretty dirty driving through the city here, much less traveling the amount he appears too.

If I can get to doing a timeline this weekend, I will for sure!!

I'm so freakin divided between voluntary and foul play too... so yeah, I have no point either lol :moose:

I really do know that what you mean. Earlier this morning I was all for foul play, maybe I still am, but... what about that he purposefully drove there to get way? Basically, I don't know.

HOWEVER, whyyyyyy was there no damn recordings on the surveillance for those 5 minutes if he walked away himself? It seems nefarious? No??? Am I crazy? Ok, I'm a little crazy, but this whole case is strange, right?

Ugh, I'm drained. Lets get the coffee maker on.

I do agree about the surveillance tape (it IS weird!)...I always appreciate when there's that video, but seems so many cases where cameras were not at right angle, or skipping or some such weirdness -- so frustrating.

The family hasn't said anything, but I always wonder about medical things, and I'm not meaning mental health now... but anything, like blood sugar issues or seizures, etc. Like if he wandered off to get away and something happened... but they seem to have really scoured the area, and the family has not said anything about medical. Yes, torn too. :sigh:

Yes on coffee!!! Me too. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

rsbm

rsbm

Thanks, Elainera. I really appreciate your thoughts too... a drive doesn't seem strange, except an hour away does seem a bit much (maybe that's just me). I had also thought maybe the potential wrongdoer could be from Reed Point, but was thinking that then they've got their own vehicle left behind, which would be hard to explain~and the local insider said their town population is so small and everyone knows everyone's business...so seems like people would be talking in town... plus, bringing Paul's car to the town of someone who perpetrated crime against him... would someone do that?

P.S. For you, Ana, anyone -- "clean car" means outside to you? I was thinking inside, but sounds like they meant external...?

Thanks, Elainera. I really appreciate your thoughts too... a drive doesn't seem strange, except an hour away does seem a bit much (maybe that's just me). I had also thought maybe the potential wrongdoer could be from Reed Point, but was thinking that then they've got their own vehicle left behind, which would be hard to explain~and the local insider said their town population is so small and everyone knows everyone's business...so seems like people would be talking in town... plus, bringing Paul's car to the town of someone who perpetrated crime against him... would someone do that?

P.S. For you, Ana, anyone -- does a "clean car" mean inside or outside to you? I was thinking inside, but sounds like they meant external...?

I took it to mean that it was both clean inside and out. I hoped they would have mentioned if it was clean on the outside but not on the inside, or the other way around.

It is so very empty! Although, not empty enough that someone driving Paul's car couldn't have walked home. There a quite a few houses along that stretch. I'm just not sure what reason they would have for harming Paul... (but then, there is no good reason so that doesn't matter anyway, but I mean, he's not a local, I can't see that there would be any animosity between Paul and anyone there, especially someone within walking distance of that post office. Unless, of course, he has more of a connection with Reed Point than we know). Was his girlfriend going to be moving to MT too?

But, also, this is not a place I would expect my car to keep clean. The road conditions do not look the best and the road essentially ends up going to nowhere. The clean car thing is a suspicion for me.

I also did the “walking” on google maps. It does seem so open. I can’t imagine how no one saw him. In that small of a town, I would think, a stranger would stand out. Especially parking his car and then walking off.

I’m not sure which way I’m leaning on this one. I wish we could hear more from the family. I do think if he walked away he should have been found by now. So conflicted!

MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also did the “walking” on google maps. It does seem so open. I can’t imagine how no one saw him. In that small of a town, I would think, a stranger would stand out. Especially parking his car and then walking off.

I’m not sure which way I’m leaning on this one. I wish we could hear more from the family. I do think if he walked away he should have been found by now. So conflicted!

MOO

Absolutely. And honestly, it seems like that kinda place where a non local would really stand out. Almost as if people would immediately know he’s not from at least that stretch? Or am I way off?

And where would he go?! The road just ends at nothing. So now, I’m back to definite foul play again and that someone else drove that car there.

Okay, two things to laugh about...
1) So my device was partly covered, so all I saw of your first sentence was: "Ok, I'm walking Reed Point..." Holy cow...That extra coffee has powered AnaPisces so much that she's made it clear to Montana! :laughing:
2) I am the odd duck (quack)...I really thought they meant the inside of his car was very clean, as in tidy + nothing in it. :doh:

That is interesting about what you found...it was a brilliant idea. I shall ponder this, and also go see if I can "walk" it too. Thanks!

Reedpoint is extremely small; not much traffic especially on a Sunday. So it’s not surprising no one saw Paul or whoever was driving the car. Bozeman is surrounded by mountains. Spectacular scenery and lots to see and do. Very unlikely Paul would have driven to RP to sight see.

RP is right of the interstate so no would not expect the exterior of Paul’s car to be that dirty.

Has it been reported that his luggage was in the car?

Okay, two things to laugh about...
1) So my device was partly covered, so all I saw of your first sentence was: "Ok, I'm walking Reed Point..." Holy cow...That extra coffee has powered AnaPisces so much that she's made it clear to Montana! :laughing:
2) I am the odd duck (quack)...I really thought they meant the inside of his car was very clean, as in tidy + nothing in it. :doh:

That is interesting about what you found...it was a brilliant idea. I shall ponder this, and also go see if I can "walk" it too. Thanks!

Hahaha oh Think! [emoji23][emoji23] so funny! I think I’m a little way out to get to Montana!

I think you could still be right about the car though. That was just the way I assumed it when I first read it. You might be completely correct! We need more clarification from LE.

RP is right of the interstate so no would not expect the exterior of Paul’s car to be that dirty.

But he supposedly drove that car from his starting point? So I would expect some kind of dirt. Even if it didn’t happen in Reed Point.

Absolutely. And honestly, it seems like that kinda place where a non local would really stand out. Almost as if people would immediately know he’s not from at least that stretch? Or am I way off?

And where would he go?! The road just ends at nothing. So now, I’m back to definite foul play again and that someone else drove that car there.

I just "walked" it... picture is worth 1,000 words.

Thinking this:
Paul's car dumped there -- another vehicle (2 preps) head out via Hwy 90? IDEA: RV park...a way for a second vehicle to be in the area without raising suspicion???? (right next door to post office).

Note: Looks like the river is about a mile away (10-12 blocks).... to the north.
Also... two retention ponds about a mile away... to the west

Well, there is a road that leads to water. But they’ve been searching the water. And if his phone was dead how would he know which way to go? A map? Was there one found in the car? Or could he have gone back up to the highway and hitched a ride?

Right now I’m leaning to he is somewhere between Bozeman and Reed Point.

So (Google Map)... coming from Bozeman on I-90, you pass Livingston and Big Timber (way bigger/busier towns) and then Greycliff (even smaller town than Reed Point/near a state park... thinking way too obvious to dump a car there).

Note: state park... hope they look there.

I know someone posted this upthread, but it does make me wonder why LE would state they don't believe Paul's disappearance is a criminal matter (even if they see no obvious "proof" of a crime)... and I also wonder why LE state that they believe Paul drove himself to Reed Point. I feel like they would just go with "It's unknown what occurred/we're still investigating it" instead. Was there something in the text to the girlfriend that makes them think these things -- or do you all feel it's a neutral statement you've seen in other cases? I'd like to think they wouldn't make those statements unless they're fairly confident, but I'm unsure.

Article referencing this:

http://billingsgazette.com/news/loc...ource=infinity-scroll-summary-siderail-latest

I know someone posted this upthread, but it does make me wonder why LE would state they don't believe Paul's disappearance is a criminal matter (even if they see no obvious "proof" of a crime)... and I also wonder why LE state that they believe Paul drove himself to Reed Point. I feel like they would just go with "It's unknown what occurred/we're still investigating it" instead. Was there something in the text to the girlfriend that makes them think these things -- or do you all feel it's a neutral statement you've seen in other cases? I'd like to think they wouldn't make those statements unless they're fairly confident, but I'm unsure.

Article referencing this:

http://billingsgazette.com/news/loc...ource=infinity-scroll-summary-siderail-latest

I think it's a possibility that they were able to id Paul as the driver when the car arrived on the surveillance tape from the gas station opposite to where his car was found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sazy3
Back