Found Deceased MT - Rita Maze, 47, Wolf Creek, 6 Sept 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that IF a POI was in custody, then LE would have announced this.
IF a POI is not in custody, I believe LE and media have had ample time to put together CCTV captures/identikits in the hope of capturing a dangerous criminal.
The fact that neither of these two things have happened lead us to examine other options...

I see a lot of talk about her being found in the trunk. Has it been confirmed that she was found in the trunk? All I have read from LE is that she was found in her car.

More from ^ link

The supervisor didn't want to contaminate their crime scene with a lot of people until a patrol dog had a chance to track the suspect, last detected heading north on foot. Deputies then opened the trunk and found Maze's body inside.

“There were phone conversations with her from this office, from the Helena Police Department just prior to her death,” said Sheriff Dutton, “so we're relatively certain of the time when she became deceased.”

I see a lot of talk about her being found in the trunk. Has it been confirmed that she was found in the trunk? All I have read from LE is that she was found in her car.
The 47-year-old wife and mother was dead in the trunk.
http://www.fox25boston.com/news/abd...rom-car-trunk-died-of-gunshot-wound/440581584
Coroner: Kidnapped woman found in car trunk was shot to death
http://kimatv.com/news/local/coroner-kidnapped-woman-found-dead-in-car-trunk-was-shot-to-death

More from ^ link

The supervisor didn't want to contaminate their crime scene with a lot of people until a patrol dog had a chance to track the suspect, last detected heading north on foot. Deputies then opened the trunk and found Maze's body inside.

“There were phone conversations with her from this office, from the Helena Police Department just prior to her death,” said Sheriff Dutton, “so we're relatively certain of the time when she became deceased.”

Huh?

So there is a suspect??

Just speculating here...what if she originally called her family and faked the kidnapping story to scare them, then panicked when the police got involved and shot herself? That's if she wasn't the one to call law enforcement.

I feel terrible about all this...I wish it hadn't happened. There are no "good" scenarios.

Huh?

So there is a suspect??

The article was posted yesterday so who knows? And if this is a suicide, how do we explain the suspect putting gas in her car and did LE not find her gun?

Lewis and Clark County Sheriff's detectives say they do have a person of interest in this case. That person was spotted at a gas station between Spokane and Montana gassing up Maze's car. The suspect's face was caught on video camera.

Authorities believe the suspect could be in Spokane and may also be armed. That's because dispatchers told our deputies Maze carried a pistol in her car for her protection.

Some interesting details. Reports are that Maze was shot once.

An officer called the number Maze used to call her family, heard gunshots and then nothing. Those shots were hear five minutes before officials had traced the cell phone to the area of Geiger and Spotted Road.

Deputies located Maze's vehicle around 12:30 a.m. on Geiger. Officials said the car appeared to be unoccupied with the keys in the ignition and a purse in the front seat. They also located blood on the ground near the car. Deputies then found Maze in the trunk and called for medics. She was pronounced dead at the scene around 1:30 a.m. Authorities also located a black semi-auto handgun and two casings in the trunk.

http://www.krem.com/mb/news/local/s...-found-dead-died-from-gunshot-wound/315606109

If she thought it was the last call she would be able to make maybe she called her family to say goodbye.

Yes, but if she had a cell with her then she would have a good chance of getting LE to save her. I would try that first and then call my family.

The article was posted yesterday so who knows? And if this is a suicide, how do we explain the suspect putting gas in her car and did LE not find her gun?

Lewis and Clark County Sheriff's detectives say they do have a person of interest in this case. That person was spotted at a gas station between Spokane and Montana gassing up Maze's car. The suspect's face was caught on video camera.

Authorities believe the suspect could be in Spokane and may also be armed. That's because dispatchers told our deputies Maze carried a pistol in her car for her protection.

Yet, there was the report that the earlier report of a POI was incorrect.

Would love to hear directly from LE rather than from reporters.

jmo

Some interesting details. Reports are that Maze was shot once.

An officer called the number Maze used to call her family, heard gunshots and then nothing. Those shots were hear five minutes before officials had traced the cell phone to the area of Geiger and Spotted Road.

Deputies located Maze's vehicle around 12:30 a.m. on Geiger. Officials said the car appeared to be unoccupied with the keys in the ignition and a purse in the front seat. They also located blood on the ground near the car. Deputies then found Maze in the trunk and called for medics. She was pronounced dead at the scene around 1:30 a.m. Authorities also located a black semi-auto handgun and two casings in the trunk.

http://www.krem.com/mb/news/local/s...-found-dead-died-from-gunshot-wound/315606109

So there was blood OUTSIDE of the car? Could she shoot herself and THEN climb into the trunk?/ I don't know about that....wouldn't that be evident? There'd be blood all over the outside of the trunk, right?

It seems a forensics expert could tell the difference between her shooting herself outside then climbing in the trunk?

So there was blood OUTSIDE of the car? Could she shoot herself and THEN climb into the trunk?/ I don't know about that....wouldn't that be evident? There'd be blood all over the outside of the trunk, right?

It seems a forensics expert could tell the difference between her shooting herself outside then climbing in the trunk?

And two shots, not one.

Hmmm....

This case gets weirder by the minute and I'm still not trusting any of the media outlets. LE has not made any kind of statement recently and I feel like all of the articles are now a product of a game of whisper down the lane!!!

This case gets weirder by the minute and I'm still not trusting any of the media outlets. LE has not made any kind of statement recently and I feel like all of the articles are now a product of a game of whisper down the lane!!!

I agree! I wish the various reporters could settle on one version of the facts.

I'm still trying to consider the significance of a police officer calling the cell phone, and hearing shots. Did the police officer hear anything else? For example, if I saw the attacker coming back for me, I would be pleading with him to not kill me. I wonder if the police officer heard anything else on the call.

Plus I find it very odd that the police officer called the cell phone number, and that somebody apparently answered that call. The way the article is written, the police officer only heard gunshots, nothing else.

Right? One quotes (direct quote) "person of interest" then later refers to the person as a suspect. But it doesn't look like "suspect" is a direct quote. Argh.

Graphic warning:

I think she was shot while in the trunk. Blood outside the car could have dripped through the bottom of the trunk to the ground.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members