Found Deceased MT - Rita Maze, 47, Wolf Creek, 6 Sept 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still stuck on life insurance. Usually suicide from what I understand and sadly have had to deal with is not entitled to life insurance. She really could have thought this would work to save her family from financial hardship (if they have any) idk if she has a policy just can't get this out of my mind. Imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A life insurance policy may be the key. If it was recently purchased, and was term insurance, there may be a two-year wait period until suicide was covered. My policy pays out for suicide, but it's over 20 years old. I sort of remember the 2-year suicide clause.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me how and why this could be in any way a suicide? I'm just catching up now, but I haven't seen it explained.

I know stranger things have happened, but this sounds preposterous to me. What a slap in the face to her family to be fueling such an ugly rumor. Why are so many of you stuck on this? What about her life leading up to this gives you any reason to believe this is a possibility?

Have you read through the thread? I know it's a long one, but the story does unfold here.

But if you want to jump to the end, she was found shot with a gun next to her (which is likely her own gun) in a trunk that had an escape latch and a purse with cash in it in her car. LE was on the phone with her when two shots were heard, but no other noise (such as a trunk slamming shut, a struggle, or shouts). There's more to it than that, but that's a start.

jmo

Have you read through the thread? I know it's a long one, but the story does unfold here.

But if you want to jump to the end, she was found shot with a gun next to her (which is likely her own gun) in a trunk that had an escape latch and a purse with cash in it in her car. LE was on the phone with her when two shots were heard, but no other noise (such as a trunk slamming shut, a struggle, or shouts). There's more to it than that, but that's a start.

jmo

Thanks for the catch up, wow. I'm still getting through the thread and have decided to start reading backwards to catch up a bit faster. My gosh, this is heartbreaking.

One thing that puzzles me is whether or not the trunk was fully latched when LE found her. Wouldn't it be difficult to be cramped in the trunk and fully latch it closed from the INSIDE?

Thanks for the catch up, wow. I'm still getting through the thread and have decided to start reading backwards to catch up a bit faster. My gosh, this is heartbreaking.

Also, she had her phone in the trunk for 10 hours but never called 911 or her family. It took TEN HOURS to reach out.

I called this suicide right from the beginning. No carjacker on earth would let her take her phone into the trunk!

One thing that puzzles me is whether or not the trunk was fully latched when LE found her. Wouldn't it be difficult to be cramped in the trunk and fully latch it closed from the INSIDE?

Not really. A Grand Am has a pretty large trunk!

My sunfires trunk was pretty big. I could be in there comfy. I'm a petite gal though. Similar trunks I believe.

Also, she had her phone in the trunk for 10 hours but never called 911 or her family. It took TEN HOURS to reach out.

I called this suicide right from the beginning. No carjacker on earth would let her take her phone into the trunk!

They would more likely grab her phone and ditch her and the phone separately and KEEP the car......JMO

A license plate reader on the Idaho border spotted Maze's car heading into Washington Tuesday afternoon. They used technology to track her phone and found her car in a trucking company's parking lot. Deputies saw Maze's purse on the passenger seat and the keys in the ignition. They broke the window, opened the trunk and found Maze dead inside.

The Spokane County Medical Examiner ruled Maze's cause of death as a single gunshot wound to the chest or abdomen. They listed her manner of death as "pending."

Maze was found dead just after 12:30 pm outside Spokane.

The FBI said Thursday the investigation is ongoing. The Spokane County Sheriff's Office says they don't believe there is any imminent threat to the community.

http://www.kxly.com/news/spokane-ne...interest-in-montana-kidnappingmurder/41582882

Can someone PLEASE explain to me how and why this could be in any way a suicide? I'm just catching up now, but I haven't seen it explained.

I know stranger things have happened, but this sounds preposterous to me. What a slap in the face to her family to be fueling such an ugly rumor. Why are so many of you stuck on this? What about her life leading up to this gives you any reason to believe this is a possibility? (Again, I'm still catching up, so my questions may be answered as I continue reading ...)

To me it is because the Medical Examiner has not given the manner of death (ie homicide, suicide), only that there was "an incident"; Spokane County Sheriff, who is doing the forensics, advices media to "question the narrative" put forth by the victims family and Montana police, and statement from FBI that there is no POI and no statement that they are looking for a suspect at all.

Confused. Did the patrol dog track the "POI" going north FROM the place he was seen or FROM the crime scene (the car) ? Anyone have a map? ty JMO

I think they searched for the suspect at the truck stop, not where her car was found. But I could be wrong.

Don't "slim jims" work on newer cars? JMO

Can someone PLEASE explain to me how and why this cold be is any way a suicide? I'm just catching up now, but I haven't seen it explained.

I am as confused as you are.

All we have now is speculation about her life such as she was depressed or had financial problems but I haven't seen that verified anywhere.

Going to visit her ailing mother just seem like such a typical thing to do. We don't even know if her mother was gravely ill do we? And if she was, why in the world would she kill herself knowing she had a supportive husband and children/grandchildren who love her? I haven't read any cases that I think of where an adult child who had their own life/family took their life because of an ill parent but I could have missed such instances. It seems if she was that upset over her mother she would have moved her mother in with her family.

I know suicides rarely make any sense because imo they are an irrational act and so is the mind of the one contemplating it but if this is suicide its one of the strangest ones I have ever heard about.

Another thing that bothers me is where she was supposedly shot. It had to be in her lower chest since they are also saying it made contact with her abdomen also. I don't believe that the gunshot wound would have been immediately fatal. Gunshot wounds to the abdomen causes a lot of pain and suffering before they finally bleed out.

But the thing that bothers me the most is how this suicide was played out if it is even a suicide. Why traumatize those for life who love her by putting them through all of that? She knew they would contact police and she had no idea when they would find her if she really wasn't in the trunk when she called them. So if she did this she would be the one driving her car to where it was located. She would know that the police could spot her vehicle at anytime and see that she was the one driving if that was indeed the case.

Now several insurance companies have a clause in the policy and will payout on suicides if the policy is over two years old but we don't really have any idea if this was even about insurance or even if she had a policy on herself.

The cases I have seen where someone suicidal was later found dead did not have any contact with family members and wouldn't even pick up their phones when the families were desperately trying to contact them to locate their whereabouts.

It is just so hard to believe this wife/mom/grandmother could be so cruel as to put all of her family through this if she really committed suicide.

Whatever the truth is, I hope they find out soon because either way it is not fair to the family who is going through pure hell by losing Rita. Being abducted in broad daylight isn't anything new nor is it uncommon for others not to see the victim being abducted either. There have been several other abductions at rest stops over the years.

If she set all of this up then why leave her purse in her vehicle or the keys in the ignition. She easily could have thrown those out to make it seem like the perpetrator took the purse with him.

So many unanswered questions but it should be easy to find footage of her out of the car after she said she was in the trunk. Did LE say that they did find evidence of Rita being hit in the head? I know that wouldn't be the cause of death so the ME wouldn't even mention that because the gunshot to the chest/abdomen is what caused her death. Wasn't her card used? Surely the clerk would remember her since it happened recently and their memory would be fresh or they could verify the signature. Or was it at an ATM machine that has cameras?

My heart is breaking for Rita's family. Not knowing what really happened must be agonizing for them all and if there is a person out there who is dangerous and not caught then that is even scarier. I never pay any mind to when LE says they believe no one else is in danger. I have seen that said repeatedly over the years by a lot of PD all over the country and in the end the perp was a complete stranger to the victim and the police were wrong about it being an isolated case rather than random. That happened to the two Husted parents who were murdered. The murderer continued terrorizing the area doing home invasions because the police were convinced they were killed by someone known to them. He was finally arrested for their murder. The same thing has been said by LE in other cases as well and it turned out not to be true.

IMO

What about her phone pinging.....might be few and far between pings but the timeline IMO is important if she was abducted. How warm is it up there during the day?
Another question I can think of....why would you crawl into your trunk and shoot yourself after driving for hours in remote areas?

I had to go to the shops but I couldn't stop thinking about Rita! whatever happened, it's horrific.

Could she have met with a psychopath who really did just want a ride and and didn't care for any money, or to take the vehicle and killed her just.. cos he's a psycho. Was it an elaborate staged plan? Maybe was she delusional? Had some type of break?

Did LE get a warrant for her home and computer or was that someone's assumption?

I am as confused as you are.

All we have now is speculation about her life such as she was depressed or had financial problems but I haven't seen that verified anywhere.

Going to visit her ailing mother just seem like such a typical thing to do. We don't even know if her mother was gravely ill do we? And if she was, why in the world would she kill herself knowing she had a supportive husband and children/grandchildren who love her? I haven't read any cases that I think of where an adult child who had their own life/family took their life because of an ill parent but I could have missed such instances. It seems if she was that upset over her mother she would have moved her mother in with her family.

I know suicides rarely make any sense because imo they are an irrational act and so is the mind of the one contemplating it but if this is suicide its one of the strangest ones I have ever heard about.

Another thing that bothers me is where she was supposedly shot. It had to be in her lower chest since they are also saying it made contact with her abdomen also. I don't believe that the gunshot wound would have been immediately fatal. Gunshot wounds to the abdomen causes a lot of pain and suffering before they finally bleed out.

But the thing that bothers me the most is how this suicide was played out if it is even a suicide. Why traumatize those for life who love her by putting them through all of that? She knew they would contact police and she had no idea when they would find her if she really wasn't in the trunk when she called them. So if she did this she would be the one driving her car to where it was located. She would know that the police could spot her vehicle at anytime and see that she was the one driving if that was indeed the case.

Now several insurance companies have a clause in the policy and will payout on suicides if the policy is over two years old but we don't really have any idea if this was even about insurance or even if she had a policy on herself.

The cases I have seen where someone suicidal was later found dead did not have any contact with family members and wouldn't even pick up their phones when the families were desperately trying to contact them to locate their whereabouts.

It is just so hard to believe this wife/mom/grandmother could be so cruel as to put all of her family through this if she really committed suicide.

Whatever the truth is, I hope they find out soon because either way it is not fair to the family who is going through pure hell by losing Rita. Being abducted in broad daylight isn't anything new nor is it uncommon for others not to see the victim being abducted either. There have been several other abductions at rest stops over the years.

If she set all of this up then why leave her purse in her vehicle or the keys in the ignition. She easily could have thrown those out to make it seem like the perpetrator took the purse with him.

So many unanswered questions but it should be easy to find footage of her out of the car after she said she was in the trunk. Did LE say that they did find evidence of Rita being hit in the head? I know that wouldn't be the cause of death so the ME wouldn't even mention that because the gunshot to the chest/abdomen is what caused her death. Wasn't her card used? Surely the clerk would remember her since it should happened and their memory would be fresh or they could verify the signature.

My heart is breaking for Rita's family. Not knowing what really happened must be agonizing for them all and if there is a person out there who is dangerous and not caught then that is even scarier. I never pay any mind to when LE says they believe no one else is in danger. I have seen that said repeatedly over the years by a lot of PD all over the country and in the end the perp was a complete stranger to the victim and the police were wrong about it being an isolated case rather than random. That happened to the two Husted parents who were murdered. The murderer continued terrorizing the area doing home invasions because the police were convinced they were killed by someone known to them. He was finally arrested for their murder. The same thing has been said by LE in other cases as well and it turned out not to be true.

IMO

I don't think LE has said anything about whether or not she had a head injury. I'd like to know this as well.

Regarding the sick parent being a motive for suicide, I don't know. It certainly would not be for me, but I can handle a lot of stress. I remember Stryker saying in his mom's thread (Cheryl DeBoer) that Cheryl had a family member going through an illness so perhaps that was one of her motivations for her mysterious suicide.

I know stranger things have happened, but this sounds preposterous to me. What a slap in the face to her family to be fueling such an ugly rumor. Why are so many of you stuck on this? What about her life leading up to this gives you any reason to believe this is a possibility? (Again, I'm still catching up, so my questions may be answered as I continue reading ...)

It does sound preposterous, but it is a strong possibility based on the information in MSM and given by LE. Nobody is fueling any rumour, just theorizing based on the events and evidence. The last thing any one wants is to cause the family more pain. We wanted answers for them.

I had to go to the shops but I couldn't stop thinking about Rita! whatever happened, it's horrific.

Could she have met with a psychopath who really did just want a ride and and didn't care for any money, or to take the vehicle and killed her just.. cos he's a psycho. Was it an elaborate staged plan? Maybe was she delusional? Had some type of break?

Did LE get a warrant for her home and computer or was that someone's assumption?

It would appear they got a search warrant for something other than her car but we are not told what in any article I can find: http://www.kltv.com/story/33058495/more-questions-than-answers-in-womans-death-in-trunk
An application for a search warrant says 47-year-old Rita Maze was found in her closed trunk early Wednesday with a 9 mm handgun and two spent shell casings next to her. There was blood on the ground. Her purse, containing $50, was on the passenger side floorboard in the locked car and the keys were in the ignition. An iPad was found on the rear floorboard.

Since the information about what was found in her car is contained in an APPLICATION for a search warrant, that search warrant is not being filed to search her car. The detail about the i-pad is new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StacyStacyStacy