Found Deceased MT - Rita Maze, 47, Wolf Creek, 6 Sept 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A case like this could take many months. My mom went missing in February and was found 6 days later in a culvert by a search party of family and friends only about 1.5 miles from home. Not one of us suspected suicide, all of us initially suspected homicide. The medical examiner / police made a final determination of suicide August 1st. The forensic testing takes along time. Many labs etc.. are backlogged. If they don't have anything obvious it could be months before a final determination is made.

\Whether it is homicide or suicide, I hope the family can find peace.
Your Mom's case is very sad and you have been in my prayers.
I'm glad to see you here still on forum to help us better understand these issues."HUGS"

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

She mentioned to her husband on the phone (while apparently locked in the trunk) that she was frightened because her gun was inside the car and so the guy had access...

Or was it in the trunk.................

A few things to consider:

1. She could have been killed by someone known to her who was with her or followed her. There is ample motive when it comes to family matters, for example.
2. She could have been placed in the trunk facing inwards and was unable to turn over to get to a release latch. Hindered movement may have also contributed to how long it took to get her phone into a position where she could use it. She was not a petite woman.
3. It takes more than gun residue on the hands to determine suicide.
4. For all we know, a possible perp made a mistake in not thinking about her having a phone on her person, or may not have been able to detect it if he hurriedly patted her down. Mistakes are how they get caught, after all.
5. The police calling her phone may actually have been what alerted him and made him pull over and shoot her to death. I find that to be an incredibly risky move by LE. Not wanting to be ID'd would be of utmost importance to a perp like this if it was random. Why didn't he kill her earlier? Perhaps he planned to ransom her, was instructed to deliver her alive, or felt like raping her once he reached his destination, wherever that was.

Not to make light of this situation, but if a younger perp had felt a flip phone in her pocket, he may not have realized what it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm wondering if the plan was that she would shoot her way out of the trunk and save herself. Become a celebrity of sorts. Make $$$$. Perhaps there will be forensics as showing ricochet damage and the bullet hit her. I'm behind again so if this case has been resolved just ignore this post. I'm running as fast as I can.

Very interesting theory!

Not to make light of this situation, but if a younger perp had felt a flip phone in her pocket, he may not have realized what it was.

That is actually a valid point. A lot of people questioned why/how she was able to keep her phone if this was really an abduction. I was also thinking she might be someone who keeps her phone in her bra. I used to do that when I had a small flip phone :blushing: (I stopped when I learned that could contribute to breast cancer)

That is actually a valid point. A lot of people questioned why/how she was able to keep her phone if this was really an abduction. I was also thinking she might be someone who keeps her phone in her bra. I used to do that when I had a small flip phone :blushing: (I stopped when I learned that could contribute to breast cancer)
I still keep my big smartphone in my bra. (For short amounts of time, despite the risks) It's embarrassing when it lights up through my shirt. I'm like, no don't be afraid these aren't headlights, it's my phone. Move along. [emoji57]

I still keep my big smartphone in my bra. (For short amounts of time, despite the risks) It's embarrassing when it lights up through my shirt. I'm like, no don't be afraid these aren't headlights, it's my phone. Move along. [emoji57]

I do this too!

Apparently today is World Suicide Prevention Day. The first one was in 2003. Below is a link with more links and information. I just thought this might be a good place to share it, even though we aren't certain that's what Rita did.

http://www.iasp.info/resources/World_Suicide_Prevention_Day/2016/

800-273-8255 is the 24/7 Suicide Hotline number in the US.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Vigil tonight:

"Rochelle said: 'I am asking you don't wear black as my mom was such a bright person she would enjoy colored clothing. Bring your own candle or flowers and memories of my mom. I would love to know how she brought all of us together. Thank you again.'"

http://www.krtv.com/story/33064105/candlelight-vigil-in-great-falls-on-saturday-for-rita-maze

BBM

I think that's really sweet - to learn how people knew Rita. One of the big comforts at my dad's funeral was hearing stories of people in his life that I didn't really know - business associates, old pals from his school days, etc. I LOVED hearing what they said about my dad. I hope Rita's family and friends find comfort in sharing their memories of Rita. I've always remembered the kindness, and when I send condolence cards, I try to include a little memory of the deceased or tell the family how I met the deceased if it's someone I don't know well. I never knew how much those stories meant until my dad's funeral.

Rest in peace, Rita.

About the note, I'm wondering if something was left on the ipad. I'm hoping so, but not sure. Surely she knew they would find the ipad and look at it.
jmo

Possible suicide note?
Is it possible - if she did commit suicide - Ms Maze left a note on iPad and she thought the iPad would immed'ly be returned to her husband, that LE would not see it? Or thought she could password-protect the file (w husband knowing password) so LE could not open it?

Only way ^ idea 'makes sense' is if suicide was committed w primary goal of family collecting life ins $$$ (tho IDK if there was a L/I policy).

Just a possibility. IDK.

WOW. This is really baffling.

My heart goes out to Rita's family.

Tricia

I have to wonder if this is why there was the bizarre almost impromptu trip to Ritzville from Post Falls. WSP loves to gives tickets as do the cops in that area. Speeding and getting to Ritzville so fast may have been a cry for help. I wonder if she was trying to get pulled over. Makes me sad :(.

Or maybe speeding in order to maybe crash? Then she wouldn't have to do it herself... Either way RIP Rita..

http://www.ktvh.com/2016/09/366200

Vigil held for Rita Maze

September 11, 2016
(MTN NEWS-GREAT FALLS) Scores of people attended a candlelight vigil at Gibson Park in Great Falls on Saturday to remember Rita Maze.
Maze, the Great Falls woman who was found dead near Spokane on Wednesday, was remembered as a loving mother and kind person, whose life touched many people.

Daily Mail obtained security camera stills from the Ritzville, WA Loves Gas Station of the person who used Rita's card there: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3784374/Man-caught-surveillance-video-using-kidnapped-mom-s-credit-card-mysteriously-murdered-trunk-car-Washington-gas-station-killer.html

Staff at Love’s said the man, who is around 6ft 5” tall and ‘dark’, came in alone and spent $24.52 on sodas and ‘enough food for four or five people’.

Attendant Tia Mistia told Daily Mail Online that she served the man on the night of the kidnapping but said Maze herself was nowhere to be seen.
‘I served him when he came in here,’ she said. ‘She definitely didn’t come in. I don’t remember exactly what he looked like but he bought a lot.’

Hi All- I've been lurking in this thread since I first read about Rita a few days ago. I lived in Great Falls for 7 years and my home was only a few blocks from the school where she worked, so I instantly became interested in her case. I am also familiar with the area from where she was abducted as we've passed through there many times.

I was looking for new information today and found an article on Daily Mail. They obtained video from the night of Rita's death from a convenience store. In it, a man can be seen using her credit card to make a purchase.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-trunk-car-Washington-gas-station-killer.html

Daily Mail isn't known for its accuracy but that man fits the description of the alleged abductor (large man 6 feet five inches tall either African-American or Native American (that one could be a mistake, maybe she said Indian meaning someone from India). Police first said there is a POI then they were saying there isn't. How does it all fit into place? I presume police know who this man is?

WHOA!!! That guy matches her description.

Okay, to be skeptical....these purchases were made before she called home and gave the description, right? Could she have asked someone at the store to make the purchases for her and then use his description to describe her carjacker??

Or what?

IDK.

Okay, to be skeptical....these purchases were made before she called home and gave the description, right? Could she have asked someone at the store to make the purchases for her and then use his description to describe her carjacker??

Or what?

IDK.

Yes, it was before she phoned her husband.

Yes, it was before she phoned her husband.

And didn't LE say they cleared the person in the video?

DailyMail is often wrong in reporting, but with great pictures, and that might be what is happening here.

jmo

Or what?

IDK.

Depends on what timezone they are using for the timeline of events. There is an hour difference between Helena, Montana and Ritzville, WA.
So if she called her husband at 10:25 PM Helena time, it is only 9:25 in Ritzville and the man had not yet made the purchase. That is if the 9:55 time is Ritzville timestamp which makes sense it would be. Am I making any sense? In almost none of the stories have timezones been reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee