Found Deceased MT - Sally Demarais-Smith, 52, found in vehicle in storage unit, Great Falls, 25 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Maybe he went to the storage unit for some other reason? If he wasn't thinking she had commited suicide, why would he look in the storage unit?

Maybe to see if she had taken any items from the storage unit? Depending on what they stored there, it could be informative if she had taken items or put more items in the storage unit

It would never occur to me that my missing spouse might be in our storage unit. If I had a note that said he was going to X place, and he didn't end up there, I would drive the possible route(s) he had taken looking for him, but look in our storage unit? No way. Not for him anyway.

It would never occur to me that my missing spouse might be in our storage unit. If I had a note that said he was going to X place, and he didn't end up there, I would drive the possible route(s) he had taken looking for him, but look in our storage unit? No way. Not for him anyway.
According to media reports, the note said that she was going to visit her parents in Malta for a few days. There were rumors about Sally's health status which would make the visit unlikely.

A sudden unplanned trip to see your parents during a pandemic that is encouraging people to stay within their household bubble?
Plus possible health issue?

I guess it largely depends on what they kept in the storage unit and how frequently they typically went to it.

In my personal experience we only used them temporarily, so if I wasn’t able to find my husband I’d definitely check there even before filing a missing persons report if it was one of the few places he frequented.

Obviously if they only went there once a year to retrieve something then it’d be less likely he’d assume she was there.

I guess it largely depends on what they kept in the storage unit and how frequently they typically went to it.

In my personal experience we only used them temporarily, so if I wasn’t able to find my husband I’d definitely check there even before filing a missing persons report if it was one of the few places he frequented.

Obviously if they only went there once a year to retrieve something then it’d be less likely he’d assume she was there.

I’d think if a spouse went missing with no clear answers it’d be considered absolutely prudent to check out a storage unit or any facility she had access to, to determine if anything appeared unusual. I’m pretty sure LE would suggest this as well.

Had the husband NOT checked the storage unit and the possibility of her body was alerted by somebody else, the pointed question would be asked - - why didn’t he think to check it out?

That he was the one to locate her leads me to believe she died by suicide. If domestic homicide was involved, the longer a body is not found, the more difficult it can be to determine cause or manner of death.

JMO

Great Falls woman's cause of death released following investigation

Well this is pretty definitive. She took her own life - - left letters for her loved ones.

I hope she has found peace.

RIP Sally. Missing persons cases, later proven to be suicide must be traumatically devastating to family members for many reasons, my condolences to them as well.

From your link -
Editor's Note: The Great Falls Tribune does not typically report when a person takes his or her own life. Because of the public interest surrounding Sally Demarais-Smith's disappearance, the Cascade County Sheriff's Office felt the public should know the investigation's outcome.

My hurt hearts hearing this. RIP Sally. Prayers for the loved ones of Sally; she seemed very loved by many. ❤️

By reading the article, it seems LE was very thorough & professional during the recent press conference.

Great Falls woman's cause of death released following investigation

Sheriff Jesse Slaughter said the cause of death for Sally Jane Demarais-Smith, 52, was a prescription drug overdose, and the manner of death was suicide.

Slaughter said he had spoken with Demarais-Smith's family and advised them he would be releasing her cause and manner of death to the public.

Newton extended GFPD's condolences to Demarais-Smith's family and friends and then gave a step-by-step account of the department's investigation of her disappearance.

Slaughter said when law enforcement attempted to enter the storage unit, which was rented by Demarais-Smith and her husband, they found various items stacked against it from the inside.

The vehicle's driver's side window was partially rolled down, and the storage unit's padlock was inside the car.

The vehicle's ignition was turned on, but Slaughter said the amount of carbon monoxide in Demarais-Smith's blood was not enough to cause her death.

Next to Demarais-Smith, deputies found several medication bottles near her body. Slaughter said the prescriptions were in her name.

Investigators found letters inside the car from Demarais-Smith to her family explaining her actions and her intent to take her own life.

Here’s an additional link

Sheriff releases cause of death of Sally Jane Demarais-Smith

Sheriff Slaughter said that the cause of death was a drug overdose, and the manner of death was suicide. He said that medical bottles and letters to family were found near Smith. The drugs in her system were a mix of opioids and tramadol.

He also said she left the car running and sealed up the storage unit so if the drugs didn't kill her, the carbon monoxide would.

"This isn't typical of my releases. I often will contact the media and you guys will typically not run these type of stories. However, due to the amount of media attention regarding this case, I felt this information could help stop any further speculation into the matter,” Slaughter said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eluluwho
Back