GUILTY MT - Sherry Arnold, 43, Sidney, 7 Jan 2012 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the cold limited where they could hide Sherry I wonder if that caused them to drive around quite a bit trying to find somewhere that would be suitable.

I can understand how someone who is drunk or high would have a difficult time remembering where they were when they are out in the middle of no where, but you'd think they would have been able to give perhaps a ballpark figure of how long they drove around, if they passed through larger towns, crossed the border or other stuff like that.

That sounds very reasonable.

It's possible they that do know where they went, but have not told LE. Perhaps whoever the tip came from only had general information. All we can do is make guesses.

Who can LE mobilize to conduct a massive search? The Nat'l. Guard?

The total area of the counties in question is a little over 14,000 square miles. That is greater than the state of Maryland. But it is unlikely that she would be at the far end of some of those counties, so narrow the search to the area that they could have driven in an hour or so and you are still dealing with an area larger than the state of Connecticut. No one has the resources to conduct a search that large.

That is why they are asking the public not to search and that land owners check their property. Farmers and ranchers know their land and are much more likely to notice something amiss than people unfamiliar with the place. Plus a lot of searchers are going to leave a lot of tracks. This time of year the grass is dry. Anyone walking or driving across a pasture or field will leave a trail.

We can't know for sure if the body was discovered while looking for Sherry, but it sounds like people are keeping their eyes open.

Hopefully they'll be able to identify the man and prosecuted whoever murdered him.

Watching Vinnie N. right now on HLN. He's leading with a story about Michelle Parker. I guess they found footage of her going through a fast food drive through.

Maybe LE will be able to find video of the suspects alone or individually getting gas along the highway.

It could help to LE track the Spell's and Water's movements.

These pieces of the puzzle can take a bit of time to gather, but they could be out there and they could help LE find Sherry.

I'm having a time loading pages today....

The ground is frozen. If they did actually bury her in the ground it would have required a lot of time and effort. They would need a pick ax as well as a shovel to dig a grave, and at least some minimal planning.

What I found interesting is that LE has asked land owners as far away as Montrail County to check their property. That is at least an hour drive away from Sidney. They asked people to look for "matted grass" which would seem to suggest that they have information that she was buried. However they also asked people to check their shelter belts and farm yards, mentioning old rotted trees and manure. That might indicate that they stashed her body in the trees and piled stuff on top of her. That would be quicker and require no planning and preparation.

That LE has this much information suggests that one or both of them said something to someone regarding the disposition of the body. I guess we'll probably have to wait until the district court paperwork is filed to find out what might have happened.

I just had an added thought when you mentioned "manure" this time of year sometimes farmers pile manure on their farm to spread later on as fertilizer. Not that many farms have "cattle" on them anymore, might be a filter to narrow down the farmsteads. Just a thought.

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

O/T...But there was a person I knew in college who after...ahem..."conducting an experiment on the effects of cannabis sativa".....found himself in a foodless apartment, so he made a coffee ground sandwich...and ate it!:crazy:

I know someone who, when faced with a similar dilemma, ate a four pound box of Sunmaid raisins.

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but I wonder if Spell was only being questioned at first because it was the Explorer that was seen at the scene of the crime and not one or both of the suspects.

So since the car belongs to Waters and/or he was in possession of the car when LE found him he was arrested immediately.

Didn't it seem that they two were picked up by LE at the same time? Since Spell was a bit of a distance and may not have had a car, I wonder at how easy it was for LE to get to him if Waters was apprehended first.

Maybe they were tipped off regarding Spell because he was talking to people and then finding Waters was easier because of his car.

I'm thinking the car may have been the key to locating Waters, too. Considering how vast and remote the areas of Montana and ND as people have described here, if the suspects drove onto back roads looking for an isolated spot to dispose of a body, what if they got lost and couldn't find their way to the main road? Maybe the tipster is someone the suspects asked directions of and he was able to give a description of the vehicle to LE when he became aware of Sherry's disappearance and remembered the curious encounter. But, LE would have no idea how long or in which direction the two had been traveling before stopping to ask directions. It would be kind of amusing to find out that getting lost led to their capture.

I'm thinking the car may have been the key to locating Waters, too. Considering how vast and remote the areas of Montana and ND as people have described here, if the suspects drove onto back roads looking for an isolated spot to dispose of a body, what if they got lost and couldn't find their way to the main road? Maybe the tipster is someone the suspects asked directions of and he was able to give a description of the vehicle to LE when he became aware of Sherry's disappearance and remembered the curious encounter. But, LE would have no idea how long or in which direction the two had been traveling before stopping to ask directions. It would be kind of amusing to find out that getting lost led to their capture.

Totally possible, sometimes it never ceases to amaze me the stupid things criminals do. They might have been stoned too which would make it worse.

Tips could still be coming it, so hopefully they'll find Sherry soon and then lock these monsters up and toss out the key.

EDIT to add: If anyone else is having issues with pages loading, I'm finding that if I use the Quick Reply I don't have as many problems...

I just had an added thought when you mentioned "manure" this time of year sometimes farmers pile manure on their farm to spread later on as fertilizer. Not that many farms have "cattle" on them anymore, might be a filter to narrow down the farmsteads. Just a thought.

Where is the manure reference coming from? I haven't seen that before. The FBI statement says "Ms. Arnold’s body may be buried in a shelter belt that contains mature or rotted trees."

http://www.fbi.gov/saltlakecity/pre...ce-from-property-owners-in-sherry-arnold-case

Most Explorers are lucky to get 15 mpg, mileage will be less in cold weather and driving at high speeds. I keep a book in all my vehicles and record the miles, gallons, and mpg every time I fill gas but very few people are that OCD about keeping track if their mileage. However they may have left receipts in the vehicle. That could show where they bought gas and how much they bought.

But LE is asking us to check our land over quite a large area of western ND and eastern MT. So I suspect they have no idea how many miles these guys drove.

I know nothing about MT but on the maps it looks like a lot of farms or ranches. In my area, farming is the main source of livelihood and most farms have gas tanks on the farm. Could they have been stealing gas along the way. It happens very often around here even if the tanks are fairly near the farmer's house.

Considering the nature of the charges that were dropped and the current charges, I've been wondering if he has some sort of intellectual impairment.

No matter what his diagnosis, it will come down to whether he knows right from wrong. I am betting he knows the difference and his behavior after the crime will likely prove that.

No matter what his diagnosis, it will come down to whether he knows right from wrong. I am betting he knows the difference and his behavior after the crime will likely prove that.

If he does have "issues", I'm sure his defense attorney will get as much mileage as he can out of that when this goes to trial.

At least we haven't seen any media seeking attorneys coming out of the woodwork.

Family members have been told that one of the men has confessed to killing Arnold, but they're still desperately waiting to hear how and why.

Is that just another way of saying that Spells told a family member that Waters forced him to go along (with abducting and killing Sherry) or Waters would murder his wife and child, which we've seen in other articles?

The way People worded that it makes it sound more like someone gave a more complete confession IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzyQuinn