Mysterious Message on the Door

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think Rebecca said - in a figurative way - exactly what she was feeling at the time... "Dina is going to be fuming-mad that Maxie fell while on my watch..."

As for Maxie saying "Ocean", the dog's name, like many I also don't believe that it was possible given the extent of his injuries. But how does that translate into lying? If I tell you that my dog told me "See 'ya..." as he exhaled for the last time soon after I asked him not to wander off too far, to please wait for me, when I had to let him rest, would it be fair to say that my emotionally-stressed brain merely interpreted the sound in whatever way made the most sense to me at the time? Or would it mean that I am now lying to you? Rebecca was no doubt under duress as Maxie exhaled for the last time (on his own). If Ocean was nearby, I might've heard his name too.

Another possibility is that Ocean might've in fact been involved in some way, perhaps running between Maxie and the railing as he tried to recover control of the scooter... And, if Maxie yelled-out "Ocean!" as he lost his balance and vaulted over the banister, Rebecca could've heard the word "Ocean", remembered it, and, under such stressful circumsntances, simply been confused as to when exactly Maxie actually said it. Witnesses to tragic events are never to be trusted 100%, regardless of the circumnstances, but specially when under severe emotional duress.

Spreckels Mansion property was on Ocean Blvd. Can we absolutely rule out Max may have been mentioning the street?

I agree with you on all counts. It's been nagging at me lately why Jonah is so silent in Rebecca's death. Of course, I've heard some insider stories that Dina has something on Jonah with respect to his pharmaceutical dealings. So I suspect fraud worth $Billions of dolares. This is speculation.

But it seems likely that either Dina has this Damocle's sword over him OR he is in on the kill because he so quickly accepted the suicide rulings. It seemed he was notified by Adam early Wed morning at around 6:30am with the false narrative that "Rebecca hung herself" and then, without batting his eyes, Jonah immediately telephoned Dina to repeat the suicide message!

QUESTIONS: Do we know if Jonah called Dina BEFORE the cops spoke to him Wed, or did he call Dina IMMEDIATELY after Adam's SINGLE TEXT to him that morning about Rebecca?

Also, what exactly were Jonah's first words to Dina re: Rebecca?
Was it "Rebecca hung herself"? Or was it something ambiguous like "The police think she might have hung herself"? Or "They suspect she hung herself"?

I think those crucial first words he made to Dina are SUPER CRITICAL in determining whether he was complicit in Rebecca's murder.

Thus far, we do know that when the cops spoke to Jonah and asked whether there was anyone who wanted to do Rebecca harm, he quickly pointed the blaming fingers at Rebecca's ex-hubby! WTH Especially coming from Jonah who knows about Dina's history of domestic violence and also Dina's hatred and jealousy of Rebecca! Why did Jonah NOT call attention to Dina as a POI? WHY did Jonah turn a blind eye to Dina being a POI? Was it because Jonah believed Rebecca deserved what she got?

So IDK. Either Jonah was involved in Rebecca's murder or Dina has something CATASTROPHICALLY HUGE over Jonah so huge he would sacrifice Rebecca and his integrity and morals.

I just wanted to chime in since we are just throwing things around right now, but this stuck out to me because wasn't the Ex also a christian or something like that (I recall someone posting something to that effect). SO is it possible the EX was supposed to be framed for this. You could take that message on the door as coming from the EX husband, especially if he knows that Rebecca saved Jonah (As in christianly, possibly born again christian or whatever).
I'm not saying the Ex husband did anything to Rebecca but its possible someone wanted him to be looked at in that way. ??

An explanation by "someone close to the investigation" was offered. It was early in the investigation so perhaps the insider inserted the word "he" instead of the word "you". However, the meaning remains the same. Rebecca helped Jonah through a difficult time and he could not save her from what happened to his son Maxie.

LOL I don't know which English dictionary you use but all of mine (Webster's, etc.) state that the word "YOU" is not equivalent to the word "HE". Furthermore, "you" is gender-neutral and also can be singular or plural, meaning it can refer to either a single or more than one male OR female, or even neither gender whereas "he" clearly refers to a male.

So it is your own biased interpretation of the painted message that defines the second phrase in the message as referring to a male, and it is your own biased interpretation that it was Rebecca who had painted the message -- and again, you have given NO evidence to support your ASSUMPTIONS. For all we know, the murderer(s) had painted the message with the intention to taunt WHOEVER (police officers, Jonah, a female neighbor, etc.) found Rebecca's dead hanging body.

Definition of "YOU" according to http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/you
1: the one or ones being addressed

Definition of "HE" according to http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/he
1: that male one who is neither speaker nor hearer

To reiterate, the painted words on the Spreckels hanging bedroom door were: "SHE SAVED HIM CAN YOU SAVE HER".

I just wanted to chime in since we are just throwing things around right now, but this stuck out to me because wasn't the Ex also a christian or something like that (I recall someone posting something to that effect). SO is it possible the EX was supposed to be framed for this. You could take that message on the door as coming from the EX husband, especially if he knows that Rebecca saved Jonah (As in christianly, possibly born again christian or whatever).
I'm not saying the Ex husband did anything to Rebecca but its possible someone wanted him to be looked at in that way. ??

This is very far-fetched. We know as FACT that Max was injured on Monday 7/11/2011. We also know for a FACT that Rebecca was found reportedly hanging on Wednesday morning of 7/13/2011. According to LE and Rebecca's own phone records, we also know as FACT that Rebecca had divorced her ex-hubby for quite some time prior to July 2011 and that the two had not seen or spoken to each other for months. So why in God's green earth would suddenly Rebecca, out of the blue, paint a cryptic message in the third person referring to her ex-hubby?

Also, from LE, we know as a FACT that Rebecca's ex-hubby was RULED OUT as a suspect in Rebecca's murder.

So no, kudos for fancy thinking, but really doesn't make any sense.

This is very far-fetched. We know as FACT that Max was injured on Monday 7/11/2011. We also know for a FACT that Rebecca was found reportedly hanging on Wednesday morning of 7/13/2011. According to LE and Rebecca's own phone records, we also know as FACT that Rebecca had divorced her ex-hubby for quite some time prior to July 2011 and that the two had not seen or spoken to each other for months. So why in God's green earth would suddenly Rebecca, out of the blue, paint a cryptic message in the third person referring to her ex-hubby?

Also, from LE, we know as a FACT that Rebecca's ex-hubby was RULED OUT as a suspect in Rebecca's murder.

So no, kudos for fancy thinking, but really doesn't make any sense.

None of this makes sense, <mod snip> As I recall yes the ex had spoken with Rebecca on occasion according to what I have read, he wanted to meet her for lunch and continue to see her etc, and no they're marriage had not been over that long as she had just divorced him earlier in that same year if I recall correctly.
I never said Rebecca painted a cryptic message about her ex, no I was implying that if she was murdered by someone perhaps they painted it hoping it would point to her EX as a suspect and away from whomever the real killer was.

The door should have never been returned.....I don't care if it came from the White House. I think the fact they returned it is ludicrous.

I used to live in a house built in 1902, antique doors are easy to come by and those seemed nothing fancy.

What do I think was meant when the detective driving Rebecca and XZ to the urgent care wrote down, "Dina's going to kill me!"?

Imo, it is a planted statement similar to MS uttering the word Ocean. I believe RZN made the statement intentionally so the detective would overhear her words and make note of them bc perhaps it would be very troublesome to live with the knowledge that your neglect caused the death of a 6yo child.
Oh, that's not right. MZL stated that Rebecca did not feel she was guilty about sweet Maxie's demise. In fact, as proof, Rebecca took XZ on a shopping excursion that for obvious reasons, most likely, did not include a stop at Macy's.

RZ had no reason to feel guilty, but she obviously felt very sad about MS's accident. You keep repeating that RZ took her sister on a shopping excursion that day. Can you provide some proof? There certainly wasn't much time for any kind of shopping trip that day as RZ was spending her waking hours cleaning up at Spreckels, getting medical attention for her sister, ferrying various guests and family to and from the airport, etc.
She didn't go on a shopping "excursion" that day and your attempts to put her in a bad light are inconsistent.

Make up your mind about your story: RZ was either so filled with angst and terrified of being interrogated by LE that she committed suicide or she was happy as a lark and taking shopping trips. According to reliable witnesses, neither of your portrayals is accurate, but for the sake of story consistency, you should choose one and stick with it. :seeya:

None of this makes sense, <mod snip> As I recall yes the ex had spoken with Rebecca on occasion according to what I have read, he wanted to meet her for lunch and continue to see her etc, and no they're marriage had not been over that long as she had just divorced him earlier in that same year if I recall correctly.
I never said Rebecca painted a cryptic message about her ex, no I was implying that if she was murdered by someone perhaps they painted it hoping it would point to her EX as a suspect and away from whomever the real killer was.

This theory makes a lot of sense! I am sure whomever was there when Rebecca died probably panicked and this nonsensical note was done in haste with the attempt to thrown LE off. Who would be a better fall guy then Rebecca's ex? Too bad for our killer/s he had an airtight alibi hours away.

This theory makes a lot of sense! I am sure whomever was there when Rebecca died probably panicked and this nonsensical note was done in haste with the attempt to thrown LE off. Who would be a better fall guy then Rebecca's ex? Too bad for our killer/s he had an airtight alibi hours away.

While I think there may have been a plot or scheme to point the finger at RZ's ex husband, I don't think the message on the door was part of it. The message was written in rage and anger, targeted at JS and probably reflected some arguments and conversations that had taken place after MS's accident. That was a message to JS.

However, once it was seen by LE, its possible the guilty parties could have tried to plant the idea in LE's mind that it was the work of RZ's ex. That plan was apparently in the works for a little while, since JS brought it up at RZ's funeral (of all places...how disrespectful). But I don't think the idea was hatched until after the murder, after LE became involved. MOO, I could be wrong.

Right and Jonah was quick to throw his name out there..and as I recall the ex was christianly or something like that giving credence to the saved references especially if she helped Jonah to be born again or saved or what not.

:waitasec: Uh, no, the theory doesn't make any sense. Why would Rebecca's murderers be painting a cryptic message directed at the ex-hubby of Rebecca when her ex-hubby has no access to the Spreckels mansion? He doesn't reside in Coronado or CA, and Rebecca hasn't had any communication with him in months.

"SHE SAVED HIM. CAN YOU SAVE HER" was the painted message on door. Who's the "YOU" in this message? Are you saying you believe the "YOU" refers to Rebecca's ex-hubby?

from yahoo!
  • "House of Horrors: A mansion owned by Jonah Schaknai"

article-2326222-19D75ABB000005DC-544_634x434.jpg

Although built in 1907 and lavishly maintained since, I would never be one to equate Spreckel's Mansion alongside Hearst Castle.

Why would you google "California mansions for sale" looking for Spreckel's Mansion? JS sold this property for significantly less, even after extensive renovations including a new outdoor swimming pool, than he originally purchased for it in 2007 due to the malice at the mansion. Those investors have since sold the Coronado mansion to a Canadian aircraft company.
Jonah purchased the mansion in hopes of retiring to the Ocean Blvd address in Coronado but he just wanted to be rid of it after the double tragedies.

Per your post above, Deed-ee:
The door belonged in a world famous mansion in the U.S. The realtors needed the original door to restore the home to its original splendor in hopes that JS would see a minimal financial loss as possible.
Sorry, Deed-ee...It is just a door! Not a sacred artifact, or irreplaceable item. You can pick one up at any "old" furniture store or antique mall. It's only importance, IMO is that it contained valuable clues to the mystery surrounding 2 deaths. Huntington Mansion, Hearst Castle, Getty Mansion...now those are some world famous mansions. When I googled "California Mansions for sale"....the Coronado property didn't even come up on the radar.
<snip>
"...All Rebecca would have had to say to detectives is, "I didn't see anything."
Just my opinions and questions, thank you.

In interrogating RZ, I rather doubt LE would accept "I didn't see anything" as anything more than an "I know nothing" attitude. I can think of a dozen questions to ask her only pertaining to Maxie's activities on the morning of July 11.
Seasoned CPD Officer Adkins had plenty questions for RZ and so did Maxie's mother. RZ's suicide conveniently keeps many questions from being answered.

Right and Jonah was quick to throw his name out there..and as I recall the ex was christianly or something like that giving credence to the saved references especially if she helped Jonah to be born again or saved or what not.

If anyone other than Rebecca wrote it, all signs point to Dina. Or her equally angry twin. IMO That message was written by someone out of their mind with rage or on drugs.

To me, the message sounds simple:

Like perhaps someone had told mommy dearest, "Why are you angry? She saved him by calling 911."
And she was thinking, "Oh yeah...she saved him. Can you save her?"

That's my initial thinking. Maybe its too simple.

:waitasec: Uh, no, the theory doesn't make any sense. Why would Rebecca's murderers be painting a cryptic message directed at the ex-hubby of Rebecca when her ex-hubby has no access to the Spreckels mansion? He doesn't reside in Coronado or CA, and Rebecca hasn't had any communication with him in months.

"SHE SAVED HIM. CAN YOU SAVE HER" was the painted message on door. Who's the "YOU" in this message? Are you saying you believe the "YOU" refers to Rebecca's ex-hubby?

Your assuming that the lunatic who wrote the message had the "where with all" to realize immediately after their first kill that Rebecca's ex would have an alibi. My guess is this person freaked out after they killed Rebecca. Whomever wrote it was out of their mind on rage or drugs. They were terrified and desperate, grasping at straws of how to cover up what they had done. Whom better but an ex to try to blame it on? Of course to any logical thinking person, the idea Rebecca's husband had anything to do with Rebecca's death would seem implausible.

Your assuming that the lunatic who wrote the message had the "where with all" to realize immediately after their first kill that Rebecca's ex would have an alibi. My guess is this person freaked out after they killed Rebecca. Whomever wrote it was out of their mind on rage or drugs. They were terrified and desperate, grasping at straws of how to cover up what they had done. Whom better but an ex to try to blame it on? Of course to any logical thinking person, the idea Rebecca's husband had anything to do with Rebecca's death would seem implausible.

I love this argument! :)

Which is more plausible? That the murderer(s) painted the message to refer to Jonah, the Spreckels mansion owner, or to Rebecca's ex?

To me, the message sounds simple:

Like perhaps someone had told mommy dearest, "Why are you angry? She saved him by calling 911."
And she was thinking, "Oh yeah...she saved him. Can you save her?"

That's my initial thinking. Maybe its too simple.

Ah, but simplicity is good when it comes to Occam's razor!

The more assumptions we have to make about a theory, the less plausible/probable it is.

Your initial thinking is precisely what I believe as well. The mother of a critically injured child executing revenge on the gf of her ex-hubby who had the audacity to tell her that the gf performed "CPR" on the child and that the gf "saved" her "one and only child". It may be simple. But it makes PERFECT SENSE :)

Attention Please!

Stop the personal attacks now. It is against TOS to attack other posters.

All opinions are welcome. That's what we do here, throw out OUR OPINIONS.

Agree to disagree and move on.

TIA
fran

BBM If Rebecca's murder was unpremeditated and the painting of the cryptic message on the door was done in a panicky haste, then where did the murderer(s) get hold of all the painting tools (paintbrushes, paint tubes, etc.)?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aqfina2000
Back