Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about that "Jock" thing... As far as I remember in UK "jock" is a slang term for a Scotsman. Has that possibility been explored?

I've been thinking about that "Jock" thing... As far as I remember in UK "jock" is a slang term for a Scotsman. Has that possibility been explored?

When I read the name Jock my first thoughts were a British/Scottish connection. Anyway, an interesting case, just a shame that they haven't been identified yet. I also think it's ridiculous that the DNA results don't seem to have come back so far, which feels a bit wrong.

somewhere there are more photos of the crime scene. i think more could have been done back then... modern science technology not withstanding...

GPercival.jpg
Has Gary Percival ever been considered as a possible for this John Doe?
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1956dmsk.html

Gary Percival
Missing since April 9, 1973 from Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Classification: Missing
Date Of Birth: November 27, 1945
Age at Time of Disappearance: 28 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 188 cm (6'2"); 78 kg (171 lbs)
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Black hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: Unknown
Clothing: Unknown
On the 9th of April, 1973, Gary Percival was last seen in Regina, SK.
A witness did state that he may have been a patient in a hospital in New York State in 1974.
Percival has not been located and his whereabouts is unknown.

GPercival.jpg

The hair is not quite right on Gary but, he could have grown it out a bit and combed over the bangs. I do see similarities, though.

I've read through the information provided here on this case and wondered what the status is on the DNA since it seems to have never been reported. I also haven't seen any reports that the couple were ever identified.
Sumter County has a new coroner and I found this link for South Carolina http://www.sc-coroners.org/Unidentified_Bodies.htm but the Jane and John Doe from 1976 is not here. I notice only one photograph of an unidentified deceased man. All the rest are reconstructive busts except one drawing.
Does anyone have an idea why 1976 Jane and John Doe would NOT be on this page?

Hi Scmom,
I'm coming back to this case after some months away but as far as I know the DNA results haven't come back yet, or if they have the news hasn't reached this thread yet.
Somebody who used to post a lot here was in contact with the coroner if I remember correctly?

It would be good if we could get a few more posts going again, I plan to spend some time going through the thread and my notes again and refreshing my memory with a view to spending more time here. Would love for these two to have their names back.

bumping for Jock & Jane.... still hoping for a resolution in this case

The closing of this case rests with the individual (Henry) who had the gun linked to the murder. I mean it's that simple. With him being deceased, it's probably cold forever. I forget... did they find any hair or fibers on the victims? I think this case could have been solved. I think they had the killer and couldn't finish it. Not sure you would have ever discovered who the couple was without pinning down the killer first. This case haunts me.

The closing of this case rests with the individual (Henry) who had the gun linked to the murder. I mean it's that simple. With him being deceased, it's probably cold forever. I forget... did they find any hair or fibers on the victims? I think this case could have been solved. I think they had the killer and couldn't finish it. Not sure you would have ever discovered who the couple was without pinning down the killer first. This case haunts me.

Should this case ever be solved I think the following two key points are going to do it:

a) Jock Doe's dental work:

The absence of Jock's 3rd molars is in itself an invaluable piece of evidence concerning his identity in my opinion. Even with the slight handicap of not knowing whether the "wisdom" teeth were impacted or partially erupted, it can be inferred that he at least had some financial means (given this and his other extensive dental work).

Information is readily available on the internet (Wisdom tooth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) which suggests that in Latin American countries (a widely postulated place of origin for the UIDs) removal of impacted wisdom teeth (in certain cases) is not widespread.

Coupled with the few available details of Jock's dental reconstruction (most notably the highly specialized root canal procedure) this would suggest that at the very least Jock's dental work was not performed in Latin America, and I think, that he probably was not from there.

The root canal work was ostensibly the work of a very skilled dentist, who more than probably specialized in the area, given that even by today's standards this was an intricate procedure. The cursory material analysis in this article (http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...IwxAAAAIBAJ&sjid=UqoFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1367,7773272)) confirms the recent nature of Jock's dental work.

Sadly the dentist who performed this work is unlikely to still be practicing and even more unlikely to still have the requisite records needed for a PID. Notwithstanding I think it's the most likely avenue of identification for this young man (and by extension, the girl).

b) The gun:

I could not believe that such an important piece of evidence had seemingly yielded so little. The LE must have been sure they had their man but not enough evidence to convict. An examination of the POI's history may yet yield some evidence, albeit circumstantial, as to his guilt. Who knows maybe he held on to their belongings or papers as souvenirs? Although a very long shot maybe a search of the late POI's property could have yielded/yet yield something.

I realise how drastic and ridiculously hyperopic this sounds, but it frustrates me so much that 30 odd years on we're no closer to knowing who they are!

Several months ago, I sent a packet of information to the Sumter County Coroner about this case... and I have heard - NOTHING!!! Honestly, as a concerned South Carolina Tax Paying citizen, I would have expected at the very least, a "Thanks For Your Interest" reply! Nothing - nada, zip. I have given it sufficient time, so now I move to the next level. At some point this year, I am going to visit the graves (pictures will be uploaded), and I am going to visit the Coroner's office. This case SHOULD and CAN be solved!!!! I am convinced of it!!! "Jock" and "Jane" need their identity back, and their family needs to know that some of us cared about them for a long, long, time. Not going to give up.

Honestly, as a concerned South Carolina Tax Paying citizen, I would have expected at the very least, a "Thanks For Your Interest" reply! Nothing - nada, zip. I have given it sufficient time, so now I move to the next level. At some point this year, I am going to visit the graves (pictures will be uploaded), and I am going to visit the Coroner's office.

SC tax payer here too, and I agree completely. I'm farther south than Sumter, but not only am I impressed with your intended action, but I support you fully. I wonder if we could get a petition signed to show just how many people are still following, researching and working on this case. I think as South Carolina tax payers, we deserve an ANSWER to our questions regarding the way this case was initially handled.

For you to take time out of your life, I want you to know that there are hundreds of us who wish that we could join you, and truly appreciate you doing footwork in person. And we all will stand by with anticipation to hear about your experience. Thank you.

So if the dna tests were done in 2008, where are the results??? Does anybody know who to contact?

they had light hair[ both]
she has very long eyelashes.
She has moles.
I searched all that in TDN
and came up with only a few females that resembled her.
I was thinking what TRUCK driver serial killer would be matched with the MO of shooting their captives or couples?
I was guessing the killer was one known for kidnapping and killing young couples maybe?
I am saying, they may very well have hitch hiked[ due to her unshaven body parts]
so let's assume they were a couple picked up along a highway by a truck driver[ or other well known serial killer]
I was searching in the MISSING COUPLES criteria
so far no close matches in age.
Or year.
So have to keep searching.
Maybe they were never reported missing yet?

they had light hair[ both]
she has very long eyelashes.
She has moles.
I searched all that in TDN
and came up with only a few females that resembled her.
I was thinking what TRUCK driver serial killer would be matched with the MO of shooting their captives or couples?
I was guessing the killer was one known for kidnapping and killing young couples maybe?
I am saying, they may very well have hitch hiked[ due to her unshaven body parts]
so let's assume they were a couple picked up along a highway by a truck driver[ or other well known serial killer]
I was searching in the MISSING COUPLES criteria
so far no close matches in age.
Or year.
So have to keep searching.
Maybe they were never reported missing yet?

I looked up the wording on his t-shirt
Camel Challenger G-T Sebring 75

if you GOOGLE it it will direct you to the WP page

seems this is a racing t-shirt and the races that year were sponsored by
a popular Gig.:twocents: company/ also the races were in the USA & CANADA
so they could have come from anywhere to watch those races.

While the truck driver serial killer theory can't be ruled out, in previous threads, it's been shown that given where the bodies were left, the perpetrator would have to have been intimately familiar with the area. The road is not directly connected to the interstate despite its proximity: a truck driver would have get off the interstate, drive around a bit and then get onto the road where the couple was left.

I don't know if this had been asked before, but do we know whether or not Jock/John Doe was circumcised? If he wasn't, it may indicate that he was born in another country, or that he was the American-born child of immigrant parents whose native culture doesn't traditionally practice male circumcision.

I remember doing a research project on this for a health/sex-ed class back in high school. IIRC, a man born in the U.S. to American-born parents at the time Jock is believed to have been born (early 1950s) would likely have been circumcised almost as a matter of course.

Also, I wish we could find actual pictures (preferably colorized) of their clothing since the crime scene photos are very poor to say the least. I'm particularly interested in Jane's clothes.

1-2-John-&-Jane-Doe-crime-s.jpg

If you look closely at the photo above, Jane's blouse appears to be pulled up to expose her midriff. I don't know whether it was lifted by one of the investigators to examine the body, or if it just happened to fly up when she was turned over and shot in the throat (I really have a hard time believing that they were killed in the exact spot the were found. The positions of their bodies look very posed and unnatural). But the fact that her midriff is exposed raises a question about the halter top.

Was it a whole halter top that had a little sash or something in the front to tie it closed? Or was it more like a front-tie bikini top or bustier that would have only covered her breasts and left her stomach bare? The picture above suggest to me that it was the latter. Also, I've seen the halter top described as both "pink" and "peach-colored". When I think of a peach color, I think of it as more of a light creamy-orange color. So my question is was it closer to pink or orange-cream in color? There's a huge difference between a bright pink and a peach color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamiestews06