Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This case is just baffling. I would think that a physicians family would be well known in the community. I can't imagine that no one has wondered what happened to their family member, friend or teacher. And if he was an instructor/teacher like the witness claimed wouldn't he likely of had a job to return to in late August early September unless he had been traveling for quite some time. I wish we had access to yearbooks from the early 70's late 60's. And I apologize if I mention stuff that has already been mentioned in this forum it's way to lengthy to find the time to read through all the post. Maybe the female was an exchange student like mentioned previously and they met because he was her instructor.

I wish we had access to yearbooks from the early 70's late 60's.

I will ask the University of Montreal if they have the yearbooks of graduates.

About my research: DrJacques Fiset, born in1930, died in 2001.He had 4 children that I know of,the youngest of whom is Jacques Jr (no mention of a wife in the obituary)

I will ask the University of Montreal if they have the yearbooks of graduates.

About my research: DrJacques Fiset, born in1930, died in 2001.He had 4 children that I know of,the youngest of whom is Jacques Jr (no mention of a wife in the obituary)

It would be Jr that you'd need to find proof he was alive, if not his siblings for DNA to test

Today I have called the archives department of the University of Montreal. The Lady told me that there was no yearbook back in those days, only group portraits which shows each graduates individually in medallions. I asked for the pictures from 1965 to 1976. She will search to see if there is such portraits from the Science and Education Faculty, and if so I should get whatever she finds in about 2 weeks :)
Sorry for my english grammar, I am a french canadian from Montreal ;)

Had previously suggested RHJ, but his thread could use a bump!
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?315762-Richard-quot-Ricky-quot-Henry-Jones-18-October-1975-Brantford-Ontario&p=12809801&highlight=Richard+Henry+Jones#post12809801
[h=2]Richard "Ricky" Henry Jones, 18, October, 1975, Brantford, Ontario[/h]

This is a long thread and I have barely scratched the surface so excuse me if I am offering up something that is already under consideration or has been ruled out.
If you use the link above and scroll down in that thread you will find another link. It will be in post #6. This link is for Michael Scott McLaughlin.
Now I know he is from Syracuse and not Canada but some of the pictures do share a resemblance.
I also thought it was interestin that his dad had sent him three thousand dollars just before he went missing with which to buy a vehicle. Maybe he went for the bike.

Sorry dotr, I just realized your the one making all these posts.
You don't think there could be a connection?

Sorry dotr, I just realized your the one making all these posts.
You don't think there could be a connection?
Referring to this post?
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Syracruse-23-Oct-1975&p=12853501#post12853501
Or the ones where i question if the person of interest in the murder of Montrealer Reet J, a man named Jean, could be the uid in this case?
Either way, do not be sorry, just " trying on dots " in hopes of connecting - ie dotr.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Reet-Jurvetson/page9&highlight=Reet+Jurvetson

Referring to this post?
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Syracruse-23-Oct-1975&p=12853501#post12853501
Or the ones where i question if the person of interest in the murder of Montrealer Reet J, a man named Jean, could be the uid in this case?
Either way, do not be sorry, just " trying on dots " in hopes of connecting - ie dotr.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Reet-Jurvetson/page9&highlight=Reet+Jurvetson

I was referring to M S McLaughlin but I think you have all this covered. I should just shut up and do more readin. Missing and unidentified cases can be confusing. Keep up the good work.

Posted by Tarabull on another thread, but reposting here because of the statistics concerning missing persons in Canada and the difficulty in tracking them.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2017/01/11/missing-since-april-part-1
More than 26,000 Canadian adults were classified as missing in 2015, according to data collected by the RCMP National Centre for Missing Persons and Unidentified Remains. Some 57 per cent of those missing are men.
With nearly 10,000 cases, British Columbia, the focal point of the missing and murdered aboriginal women on and near the Highway of Tears, has the most reported missing persons incidents in Canada.

By comparison Ontario, Canada’s most populous province, has 6,513 missing persons cases listed.
The data does not specify how many cases were resolved in 2015. However, the RCMP estimates 62 per cent of people on the missing persons lists are removed within 24 hours of being reported and 90 per cent are removed within a week.
In 2015, 2,157 people are classified as having “wandered off” — usually the result of mental health issues like dementia. Another 5,657 adults are classified as “runaways,” usually people who left their home of their own accord.
The largest classification of missing people are listed as having disappeared for “unknown” reasons. Police have been unable to ascertain why 15, 294 Canadian adults — 6,603 women and 8,691 men — vanished in 2015.

However, RCMP Cpl. Julie Morel of the national centre for missing persons says the missing persons data isn’t definitive, in part because the national database is relatively new. The unit was formed in 2010 and only began to publish national data on missing persons in 2013.
“It really is the first time that we have a system and the tools in place to have everyone in law enforcement from coast to coast co-ordinate on missing persons,” Morel says.
The information is compiled by an algorithm that searches the Canadian Police Information Centre, better known as CPIC, a national database used by all Canadian police services.
Any time an officer anywhere in Canada enters a missing persons case into CPIC, the algorithm adds the name to the list.
The centre has published missing persons statistics for the past three years, but used a different algorithm for 2015, making comparisons to past years problematic. Morel said the RCMP is also working to refine the algorithm to filter repeat information, because the same case can get entered into CPIC multiple times by multiple officers from several services. The data might may also currently include cases that have been reclassified from missing persons to, for example, a homicide.

rbbm.

The website of the provincial police of Quebec shows missing persons up to 2003 only, so not helpful. I hope they have a binder with all MP in their headquarter. I will phone them to find out.

So much theorizing revolves around the info provided from the guy at the KOA campground...which was never fully substantiated unless I totally missed it. The point is...there's a strong chance the victims were never at the campground and were just passing through and met their fate after stopping along the interstate fruit stand. Would like to know more about the guys associated with the murder weapon that was found -- "if" they were involved there's somebody still alive who knows it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree! Didn't I read where the man stated he seen them about a year or several months before the bodies were found. Excuse me if I'm wrong but if so I find it hard to believe that the mystery couple would still be in the same area after several months if they were just vacationing as reported by the witness.

I agree! Didn't I read where the man stated he seen them about a year or several months before the bodies were found. Excuse me if I'm wrong but if so I find it hard to believe that the mystery couple would still be in the same area after several months if they were just vacationing as reported by the witness.

I think I recall the theory being that they were at the KOA months earlier and must have stopped back through on way back...something just feels weak about that, and I'd think there would have been multiple witnesses placing the couple there, etc.; maybe one day we will know who they were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, I have read over much of these threads and thought I would jump in here.
I don't know if the link below concerning the McMinn's has been posted here before but I thought someone might find it interesting. I know I did. Especially the part about the FBI starting an investigation into their disappearance on Aug 9. Isn't this the same day the Doe's bodies were found?

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth245308/m1/3/

Hello, I have read over much of these threads and thought I would jump in here.
I don't know if the link below concerning the McMinn's has been posted here before but I thought someone might find it interesting. I know I did. Especially the part about the FBI starting an investigation into their disappearance on Aug 9. Isn't this the same day the Doe's bodies were found?

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth245308/m1/3/

Nice find! As far as I can remember, while the McMinn suggestion originated here, I don't think I've ever seen it linked. I took a screen shot and will see if NamUs is interested in adding to their profiles

I think they look South American. What's ever become of the Argentina lead??

I think they look South American. What's ever become of the Argentina lead??

"The clandestine effort to capture, kidnap, detain and disappear two Uruguayans, Jorge Zaffaroni and his wife Maria Islas de Zaffaroni, is recorded in dramatic detail from documentation obtained from intelligence agencies in four countries. The National Security Archive has reconstructed the paper trail on the chilling events of September 1976 that led to the disappearance of these two Uruguayan citizens:
  • By May 1976, Uruguayan intelligence is keeping track of dozens of OPR-33 uruguayan guerrillas operating in Buenos Aires. A secret document published here shows a list built between May and October 1976,listing the Zaffaroni couple and 60 other members of the OPR-33. The information found in the archive of the Paraguayan Secret Police was likely being shared with Southern Cone intelligence services. (Source: The secret police archive in Paraguay)

• A U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency cable written in mid-September 1976, states that a high ranking delegation of Argentine generals has traveled to Montevideo, Uruguay to coordinate intelligence operations. (Source: Italian judicial official from a FOIA request to the U.S.)

• An Argentine intelligence report obtained by the Archive through a confidential source records information provided by the Uruguayans authorizing the State Intelligence Secretariat to order Intelligence Battalion 601 to kidnap the Zaffaroni couple; the operation is successfully carried out, and the couple is handed to the Uruguayan authorities and never heard from again.

• An October 1, 1976, U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency cable reports that in a one week operation the intelligence cooperation of Argentina and Uruguay has destroyed the OPR-33.
By mid 1978, military repression in Argentina had already peaked and was winding down, but human rights violations nevertheless continued. The Carter administration's policy of open diplomacy on human rights brought significant international pressure on the Junta to begin to curtail its abuses. But torture, disappearances, and executions continued at a reduced level until the military was defeated during the Falklands war, and forced to withdraw from power.
How many people were killed and disappeared during the seven years of dictatorship? "It is our estimate that at least several thousand were killed and we doubt that it will ever be possible to construct a more specific figure," says the U.S. Ambassador in one cable in early 1978. The National Commission on the Disappeared (CONADEP) was able to document 9,089 persons disappeared at the hands of the regime. Another U.S. declassified State Department memo, titled "Disappearance Numbers," places that figure at 15,000 by late 1978.
But one internal DINA document, obtained by journalist John Dinges for his book, The Condor Years, recorded secret numbers on the dead and disappeared compiled by Argentine Intelligence Battalion 601 between 1975 and July 1978. The cable, sent by DINA's attaché to Buenos Aires, Enrique Arancibia Clavel (using the code name Luis Felipe Alemparte Diaz) stated that that he was "sending a list of all the dead" which included the official and unofficial death toll. Between 1975 and mid 1978, Arancibia reported, "they count 22,000 between the dead and the disappeared."
The DINA cable, according to Dinges, "provides important corroborating evidence that the true number of disappeared is significantly higher than the 9,089 persons listed by CONADEP in the 1980s."

http://nsarchive.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB185/

i think a US govt agent possibly being with the couple at the store (using his govt issued card to buy some items) is important.

i believe this may have either been a couple seeking asylum from govt. maybe they attempted to do something to the agent and he killed them?

Pribably wont ever solved if this had deep politics behind it.

A few times while reading these threads I have came across the possibility of the Doe's having Native American ancestry.More her than him. After over forty years I figure IIts worth a shot in the dark.
. Maybe there is a poster here that knows much more about this than I do and can help me out on it. In 1976 the Cherokee Nation ratified a new constitution. I was wondering how big of a thing this would have been? Would there have been any kind of celebrations or festivals? Would it have been cause for traveling?
The Cherokee Nation is widespread with satellite communitys all across our country. I have provided a link below to show this.
It crossed my mind that the Doe's could have taken the "Trail of Tears " route. This would have brought them into eastern TN and western NC.
I think the Cherokee Nation and the Eastern Band of the Cherokee interact some now days but Im not sure about back then. On the map below the Eastern Band is located in the western most part of NC close to the TN border.

http://cherokeesatlarge.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/cn_satellite_map_v201604_CNCA-map-630-1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tinatrue