Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read an interesting missing persons case that made me think of this John Doe. The time frame is right. He would of had a little money as he was a successful surf photographer. I think they look similar....?http://www.orangecoast.com/features/ron-stoner/

This is so depressing. I don't (personally) see a huge resemblance, but yeah, time frame would be correct :( His sister should submit her DNA to law enforcement, if she hasn't already. Seems like she's trying to remain hopeful that her brother is out there alive and well. Even if he's not, a DNA match to unidentified remains would really bring closure. Not sure that he would have been in the vicinity of SC or even the East Coast at all, but nonetheless a thought provoking read.

Another article about Ron Stoner, with a closer up picture of him. http://www.surfer.com/blogs/eos/ron-stoner/#ZK9eReYajDav7y52.97

What a handsome guy. Though, I keep noticing in these photos that he is lighter in coloring than Jacques Doe. Ron appears to have had dirty blond or light brunet hair (probably was downright blond in the summer months), and light-colored eyes as well as a relatively light complexion. His facial features and bone structure are different; the way his chin and cheekbones are positioned and the size of his forehead betray that this is probably not the same man... Just my thoughts...

** Also, I don't really find that old postmortem sketch to be very accurate, when you look at the actual photos. I thought Carl K's recon was quite a bit more accurate to what he may have looked like in everyday life. It looks a little goofy because it's an illustration done using computer software, but I think this is the closest thing we have to an idea, some sense, of how the guy looked. Note the very prominent eyebrows and face shape.

14203243_532427180281315_4563138490814419075_n.jpg

I have to admit, this thread moves faster than I can keep up. Were the McMinn's ever ruled out? I don't see that they've done comparisons to anybody...

True. No info who has been compared and ruled out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am almost certain they are foreigners. I am also almost certain their loved ones might have known about their death but chose not to claim their bodies due to some kind of mafia-like personal vendetta going. The execution of our Does makes me believe that the the killer murdered them the way the she/he did to make a point that their loved ones are going to be the next ones to be killed and put on display.

Has isotope testing been done in this case? I think it might help, if they have what's needed to run the test.

Ok. Just posted in this thread and decided to turn the channel on tv to food network. A commercial with Giada DeLaurentiis was just on and she resembles Jane doe. Could she be Italian?

Ok. Just posted in this thread and decided to turn the channel on tv to food network. A commercial with Giada DeLaurentiis was just on and she resembles Jane doe. Could she be Italian?

Possibly.

Peppered peach, funny you mention GDL, because every time I see our mystery couple I always think of her and now I know I an not totally nuts.

BTW...

:greetings:
Peppered peach,

:up: :welcome6: :up:

We are so glad you are here, we need all the help we can get!!

:daisy:

Just read an interesting missing persons case that made me think of this John Doe. The time frame is right. He would of had a little money as he was a successful surf photographer. I think they look similar....?http://www.orangecoast.com/features/ron-stoner/

R. Stone reminded me of this unidentified man found in water in Canada circa 1977, oddly, his distinctive silver jewellery reminded me of the mystery uid couple.
Fwiw
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?339948-Canada-Coquitlam-Male-25-6-distinctive-silver-jewellery-Sasamat-Lake-Jun-77&p=13442187&highlight=silver+jewellery#post13442187
[h=2]Canada - Coquitlam, Male, 25, 6', distinctive silver jewellery, Sasamat Lake, Jun'77[/h]

This couple has been on my mind for many, many years now. I've been reading this thread for quite a long time now, and I finally found the courage to share my thoughts/ideas on who they were and what happened to them.

1. I don't think they were ever reported missing, meaning we will not find them in any missing persons database.
2. I don't think they are any of the missing couples mentioned here before. To me, they don't look like the McMinns or the Yakimchuks. I think they do look like the missing couple from Argentina. In my eyes, Jane Doe and Maria Marta look pretty much like twin sisters, but if you take a look at this video and skip to 01:28 or 02:14, you can see that Maria Marta doesn't have any moles on her face. Jane Doe has two distinctive moles on her face and that's why I think the Argentinian couple can be ruled out. Video is called Desaparición Forzada | Marta Vasquez - Trailer and you can find it on Vimeo. I can't post the link for some reason.
3. I don't think they were American, but I do think English was their first language. If it wasn't, someone would definitely be able to point out their foreign pronunciation. I started learning English 20 years ago and my accent is still rather obvious. People ask me where I'm from all the time and I think they would ask the Does as well.
4. The couple shares some similar features and that tells me they come from the same ethnic background. They look Middle Eastern to me, perhaps they were originally from Israel or Iran? If you look up 1970s Iranian fashion, it looks a lot like Jane Doe's style.
5. Like I said before, I think their mother language was English and I think they could be Middle Eastern. Maybe their families moved to a country like Canada and lived near the Middle Eastern minority? Maybe someone still remembers them?
6. Initially I thought it was weird that the KOA campgrounds employee claimed to be friends with Jock, but didn't know anything about Jane, not even her name. Where was she the whole time? Then I realised that if they really were from the Middle East, then perhaps it wasn't okay for them to talk to people from the opposite sex. It's just my thought - I'm not an expert when it comes to foreign cultures, but it would explain why Jane wasn't there when Jock was talking to the KOA guy.
7. Why weren't they wearing any underwear? Did the killer(s) take the couple's underwear as a memento?
8. Their gunshot wounds look... precise. It makes me think they were executed in cold blood. It also makes me think if they were kidnapped and tied up before being killed. Or maybe there was more than one killer and the couple was shot in their sleep. I suppose their wounds would be much more random if the killer just approached them and started shooting. I'd think at least one of them would start running away and their wounds would look different.

sorry for any mistakes in grammar or spelling, English isn't my first language so please bear with me ^_^

The underwear might not mean anything. It wasn't uncommon to go without underwear, especially under tight jeans, especially on the road.

I think for me the most likely explanation for the KOA guy leaving out the woman was either a) she wasn't with Jacques (either hadn't met him yet or was off showering or picking up stuff at the store or something like that) or b) she has a connection to the KOA guy and he didn't want to draw attention to her or himself. I'm inclined to b.

I have a strong feeling science could solve this case. Isotope/pollen analysis would really help identify these people. I wonder if LE planned something like that for our couple?

I have a strong feeling science could solve this case. Isotope/pollen analysis would really help identify these people. I wonder if LE planned something like that for our couple?

It could, but not if they traveled extensively prior to their deaths.

This couple has been on my mind for many, many years now. I've been reading this thread for quite a long time now, and I finally found the courage to share my thoughts/ideas on who they were and what happened to them.

1. I don't think they were ever reported missing, meaning we will not find them in any missing persons database.
2. I don't think they are any of the missing couples mentioned here before. To me, they don't look like the McMinns or the Yakimchuks. I think they do look like the missing couple from Argentina. In my eyes, Jane Doe and Maria Marta look pretty much like twin sisters, but if you take a look at this video and skip to 01:28 or 02:14, you can see that Maria Marta doesn't have any moles on her face. Jane Doe has two distinctive moles on her face and that's why I think the Argentinian couple can be ruled out. Video is called Desaparición Forzada | Marta Vasquez - Trailer and you can find it on Vimeo. I can't post the link for some reason.
3. I don't think they were American, but I do think English was their first language. If it wasn't, someone would definitely be able to point out their foreign pronunciation. I started learning English 20 years ago and my accent is still rather obvious. People ask me where I'm from all the time and I think they would ask the Does as well.
4. The couple shares some similar features and that tells me they come from the same ethnic background. They look Middle Eastern to me, perhaps they were originally from Israel or Iran? If you look up 1970s Iranian fashion, it looks a lot like Jane Doe's style.
5. Like I said before, I think their mother language was English and I think they could be Middle Eastern. Maybe their families moved to a country like Canada and lived near the Middle Eastern minority? Maybe someone still remembers them?
6. Initially I thought it was weird that the KOA campgrounds employee claimed to be friends with Jock, but didn't know anything about Jane, not even her name. Where was she the whole time? Then I realised that if they really were from the Middle East, then perhaps it wasn't okay for them to talk to people from the opposite sex. It's just my thought - I'm not an expert when it comes to foreign cultures, but it would explain why Jane wasn't there when Jock was talking to the KOA guy.
7. Why weren't they wearing any underwear? Did the killer(s) take the couple's underwear as a memento?
8. Their gunshot wounds look... precise. It makes me think they were executed in cold blood. It also makes me think if they were kidnapped and tied up before being killed. Or maybe there was more than one killer and the couple was shot in their sleep. I suppose their wounds would be much more random if the killer just approached them and started shooting. I'd think at least one of them would start running away and their wounds would look different.

sorry for any mistakes in grammar or spelling, English isn't my first language so please bear with me ^_^

Thank you for your thoughtful observations.

I do agree that our Does resemble the Argentine couple, but you do point out the obvious differences that rule them out.

They don't strike me as Middle Eastern. Their clothing and jewelry makes me think that they are either from South America or Mexico. I think it might be possible if they are somewhere from Europe but I find it less likely. As for their primary language... it's not like we have a number of suspects that say that our Does sounded "different" or foreign. The only person that seems to recall meeting our guy was the man at the campground where our Doe had mentioned being from Canada. He must have sounded different for the campground guy to associate him with something different. Also, keep in mind that a lot of people might know that someone sounds foreign but not be able to associate their accent/pronunciation with anything particular. Many people, especially in deep rural areas aren't exposed to cultural diversity to that degree. They may know that a person sounds nothing like them but they may not be able to tell their accent or where it is coming from.

It really isn't that weird that the campground guy only remembered Jock. They could have just hanged out together while Jane was doing something else. I don't find that strange or odd in any way. Maybe he had seen her at some point but didn't have a recollection of her later on. Eye witness accounts aren't always reliable or impeccably accurate.

I think not wearing underwear was either a cultural thing or just a habit. They were found fully dressed so I don't think the killer
cut the underwear off/took them off.

Their killing surely looks like an execution. Their killer had a gun so it wouldn't be hard to subdue them and then kill them at a close range. I have always believed there was probably more than one shooter.

I believe this was possibly some type of shame killing and that is why they were never reported missing. I also believe that all forms of identity were removed from the victims so they could not be identified. I also believe that whoever killed or had them killed told other family members and friends that they just simply ran away to be together, so no one has ever gone looking for them. I do agree as someone stated above that this Jane doe looks like Maria Vasquez's twin. I also think she looks like Anneke Adriaansen's twin. Although there are no visible moles on Maria's face and Anneke did not go missing until 2 1/2 years after this Jane doe so I highly doubt she is either one of them. I do still think this case could get solved as this couple would likely be in their late 50's early 60's if still alive today. I'm sure they had friends, cousins etc. it's just going to take the right person to run across their picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tinatrue