Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did LE check with other campgrounds along I-95 to determine if the couple was traveling and staying at campgrounds? There is a campground where I95 and US 76 cross which is near where the fruit stand would have been.

Someone drove them to this location then executed them. My hunch is this was not random. I often think a shot to the throat could represent silencing, as if they knew too much and were (talking). Who disposed of their suitcases, identification, and transportation? Why would a campground or hotel not alert the police of finding personal items left behind? Think the killer(s) were familiar with them. Maybe they were all traveling together and something went wrong....

Someone drove them to this location then executed them. My hunch is this was not random. I often think a shot to the throat could represent silencing, as if they knew too much and were (talking). Who disposed of their suitcases, identification, and transportation? Why would a campground or hotel not alert the police of finding personal items left behind? Think the killer(s) were familiar with them. Maybe they were all traveling together and something went wrong....
I think things are left at campgrounds and motels all the time. (I once forgot a suitcase full of clothes at a motel in Ohio; I called them, and they graciously sent it to me by UPS at no charge.) However, the victims' belongings may have been in their vehicle or with their motorcycle.
The trouble with the theory that the crime wasn't random is that the murder weapon was owned by Lonnie Henry, and no other connection has been made between him and the victims. If he could be connected to drug trafficking, or to John Paul, or even to IMSA racing, then I would more readily believe that the double-murder was a drug-related contract hit.

Incidentally, has anyone seen pictures of the man's T-shirt? It supposedly has Snoopy on it, but I think someone may have mistaken Joe Camel for Snoopy. The Camel GT Challenge materials all show Joe Camel in a racing helmet and scarf; he looks a lot like Snoopy does when the latter is wearing his WWI flying helmet and scarf (the outfit he wears when he's going up against the Red Baron).

Good find but I'm not sure where you're aiming at.

I always thought this was a professional hit and the George Henry part just a cover up. For the most part I still do.
However I recently read LE that confiscated the gun had it sent directly to the state law enforcement division (SLED).
If this is true, then a cover-up would have to involve two counties and state level government. Seeing as how Sumter co never got their hands on the evidence before testing.
This is still entirely possible. And if it goes to the state level it could go beyond that.
It is also entirely possible that Goerge Henry still knew something. Although you wouldn't think a drunk would have anything to do with a professional hit. You never know. Somebody doesn't just cover up a double homicide for anyone. It would have to be someone close or because he feared for his own safety.
Just trying to look at all the options after 41 years.

These victims were found on a remote road by a trucker who was going to use the same spot to stop and get rest. This could have been a well known spot amongst truck drivers.
I have heard George Henry was a truck driver but he has an alibi.
I was trying to find out if there was any other truckers in his family.
Or George could have simply given someone else directions.

I always thought this was a professional hit and the George Henry part just a cover up. For the most part I still do.
However I recently read LE that confiscated the gun had it sent directly to the state law enforcement division (SLED).
If this is true, then a cover-up would have to involve two counties and state level government. Seeing as how Sumter co never got their hands on the evidence before testing.
This is still entirely possible. And if it goes to the state level it could go beyond that.
It is also entirely possible that Goerge Henry still knew something. Although you wouldn't think a drunk would have anything to do with a professional hit. You never know. Somebody doesn't just cover up a double homicide for anyone. It would have to be someone close or because he feared for his own safety.
Just trying to look at all the options after 41 years.
Can you tell what date Henry's son drowned in the Pee Dee River? I had the impression that it was after the double murder but before Henry's drunk driving arrest. I can easily see a father's lying to protect the reputation of a dead son--or to protect that son's mother from the truth.

Interesting article. I always felt like there were two killers in the car that night. One to drive, the other to keep an eye on our victims. Maybe Lonnie did the driving. He passed the lie detector test because he didn't pull the trigger. I don't buy the..drunk and don't remember story. To put three accurate and precise gunwounds into two different people while drunk? Not so sure...

I agree with two killers in the car that night. The victims may have been held at gunpoint by two guns.
It seems to me that whoever committed this crime didn't want them identified by LE or the general public. But they wanted them to be identified by someone inparticular. Perhaps to prove the job was done and receive payment or as an intimidation factor or both.

Can you tell what date Henry's son drowned in the Pee Dee River? I had the impression that it was after the double murder but before Henry's drunk driving arrest. I can easily see a father's lying to protect the reputation of a dead son--or to protect that son's mother from the truth.

1973 is when he drowned

They chose not to shoot them in the head or face, I believe so they were identifiable...to the right people or person.

1973 is when he drowned
So before the murders...hmmm...do we know what Lonnie Henry's brother did for a living? I don't know what to think of the story that the brother gave Lonnie a revolver for Christmas. Who gives a revolver as a Christmas gift? Maybe the brother told Lonnie that he had to get rid of a gun, and Lonnie said he'd take it, thinking he could file the serial number and just claim that he bought it after the murder if he ever got caught with it. His plan fell apart when investigators were able to trace the gun to his brother.

Another thought: Is there any reason why Canadian ID's would have been particularly valuable? I think it was pretty easy to sneak into Canada, but maybe a fugitive wanted to steal the identity of a Canadian.

So before the murders...hmmm...do we know what Lonnie Henry's brother did for a living? I don't know what to think of the story that the brother gave Lonnie a revolver for Christmas. Who gives a revolver as a Christmas gift? Maybe the brother told Lonnie that he had to get rid of a gun, and Lonnie said he'd take it, thinking he could file the serial number and just claim that he bought it after the murder if he ever got caught with it. His plan fell apart when investigators were able to trace the gun to his brother.

Another thought: Is there any reason why Canadian ID's would have been particularly valuable? I think it was pretty easy to sneak into Canada, but maybe a fugitive wanted to steal the identity of a Canadian.

George had 3 brothers living at that time. Some info can be found at find a grave. One worked maintenance at cuddy farms, another at Winn dixie, the other doesn't say.
The problem is I 've never come across the name of the gun owner.

I would think if you were stealing someone's identity, you wouldn't want the bodies to be found.

George had 3 brothers living at that time. Some info can be found at find a grave. One worked maintenance at cuddy farms, another at Winn dixie, the other doesn't say.

I would think if you were stealing someone's identity, you wouldn't want the bodies to be found.

Hi...I saved this part from an article somebody wrote but the link is not working anymore

George (Lonnie) Henry claims that his brother,Jim Henry?? hadgiven it to him as a gift. Since several months had elapsed since the murders,it is difficult to verify George Henry's alibi or to verify who actually hadpossession of the gun at the time of the murders.

Hi...I saved this part from an article somebody wrote but the link is not working anymore

George (Lonnie) Henry claims that his brother,Jim Henry?? hadgiven it to him as a gift. Since several months had elapsed since the murders,it is difficult to verify George Henry's alibi or to verify who actually hadpossession of the gun at the time of the murders.

I was wondering whether one of them was a long-haul trucker. Lonnie Henry had killed a co-worker by backing over him with a dump truck, so even though Lonnie was a truck driver, I don't know whether he did any long-haul trucking.

I also wonder how strong Lonnie's alibi was. He was supposedly at a distant hospital visiting his wife, but is that backed up by paper records (i.e., did he have to sign in and out and note the time?) or just by his wife's word or by the memory of hospital staff?

I do believe that two perps were present at the crime scene. On person with a gun could control two adults, but I think he would have bound at least one of them. Two bad guys with guns wouldn't have needed to do that.

I guess this would have to be Jimmy Franklin Henry. His obituaries say he served in the US army for 2 years and was a manager at Winn Dixie for 31 years. I dont know much else about him.
I would still like to know more about Charles Franklin Henry Sr, George's nephew/cousin.

I was wondering whether one of them was a long-haul trucker. Lonnie Henry had killed a co-worker by backing over him with a dump truck, so even though Lonnie was a truck driver, I don't know whether he did any long-haul trucking.

I also wonder how strong Lonnie's alibi was. He was supposedly at a distant hospital visiting his wife, but is that backed up by paper records (i.e., did he have to sign in and out and note the time?) or just by his wife's word or by the memory of hospital staff?

I do believe that two perps were present at the crime scene. On person with a gun could control two adults, but I think he would have bound at least one of them. Two bad guys with guns wouldn't have needed to do that.

At the time LE felt like it was a strong alibi. I have wondered if George made it a point to have an alibi on this night.

I guess this would have to be Jimmy Franklin Henry. His obituaries say he served in the US army for 2 years and was a manager at Winn Dixie for 31 years. I dont know much else about him.
I would still like to know more about Charles Franklin Henry Sr, George's nephew/cousin.
I'm tempted to file a FOIA request for a report of the son's drowning to see whether it was suspicious.
At the time LE felt like it was a strong alibi. I have wondered if George made it a point to have an alibi on this night.

If he had been that meticulous, I don't think he would have kept the gun.

One reason why I believe the campground worker's story is that he specifically remembered Jacques' ring, which Jacques tried to sell. That story also indicates that Jacques and Jane were hard up for cash. That circumstance argues against their being career drug runners. It also suggests a couple of possibilities:

1) They could have been caught stealing. If a couple of foreigners were caught stealing food from a good ol' boy's property, the upshot could be the crime scene we're talking about.

2) If they started to ask around about ways to earn a quick buck, they might have raised somebody's suspicions. Someone might have thought they were ATF agents even if they weren't.

Going with Occam's Razor, though, I still think they were probably car- or motorcycle-jacking victims, killed so they couldn't report the theft or ID the thieves. If Jacques came from a wealthy family, he might have had a very nice bike or car.

I'm tempted to file a FOIA request for a report of the son's drowning to see whether it was suspicious.

If he had been that meticulous, I don't think he would have kept the gun.

One reason why I believe the campground worker's story is that he specifically remembered Jacques' ring, which Jacques tried to sell. That story also indicates that Jacques and Jane were hard up for cash. That circumstance argues against their being career drug runners. It also suggests a couple of possibilities:

1) They could have been caught stealing. If a couple of foreigners were caught stealing food from a good ol' boy's property, the upshot could be the crime scene we're talking about.

2) If they started to ask around about ways to earn a quick buck, they might have raised somebody's suspicions. Someone might have thought they were ATF agents even if they weren't.

Going with Occam's Razor, though, I still think they were probably car- or motorcycle-jacking
victims, killed so they couldn't report the theft or ID the thieves. If Jacques came from a wealthy family, he might have had a very nice bike or car.

I think the campground worker may well have met the male victim at koa. Other than that I'm not sure I believe any of the rest of it.
He only came forward months later after most of the info on the does had been released.
He talks about Canada only after LE says they may be foreigners.
He says his dad's a dentist only after knowing about the extensive dental work.
He places them in florida only after knowing about the t shirt.
He mentions the ring only after knowing about it.
And he says doe was trying to sale personal items only after LE put out that they may have been hitchhikers.

Some good ol' boys would probably just make you dissappear.
In S Carolina in 1976 someone caught in the act of stealing was pretty much paid for. You wouldn't have to commit murder.
It is possible that they stole something and got away and then
we're caught up with down the road.
Or it was just a car jacking.

I can't find much on the drowning of Charlie Henry. The few things I have seen make it a point to say it was a accidental drowning. I thought that was odd. Most drownings are.

I think the campground worker may well have met the male victim at koa. Other than that I'm not sure I believe any of the rest of it.
He only came forward months later after most of the info on the does had been released.
He talks about Canada only after LE says they may be foreigners.
He says his dad's a dentist only after knowing about the extensive dental work.
He places them in florida only after knowing about the t shirt.
He mentions the ring only after knowing about it.
And he says doe was trying to sale personal items only after LE put out that they may have been hitchhikers.
What would have been his motive for embellishing? Attention?
Some good ol' boys would probably just make you dissappear.
In S Carolina in 1976 someone caught in the act of stealing was pretty much paid for. You wouldn't have to commit murder.
EBM
I'm not sure what that sentence means.
It is possible that they stole something and got away and then
we're caught up with down the road.
Or it was just a car jacking.

I can't find much on the drowning of Charlie Henry. The few things I have seen make it a point to say it was a accidental drowning. I thought that was odd. Most drownings are.
I wonder.

I keep thinking about her dress attire, including the pink wedged sandals. Not a first choice for camping or hitchhiking.
I would think if he was brought up in a wealthy household, when he never returned home, they would have hired an investigator. If they were involved in a shady lifestyle, maybe they were estranged from family and friends.

I keep thinking about her dress attire, including the pink wedged sandals. Not a first choice for camping or hitchhiking.
I would think if he was brought up in a wealthy household, when he never returned home, they would have hired an investigator. If they were involved in a shady lifestyle, maybe they were estranged from family and friends.
If you believe the campground worker's story, the man was a former teacher who was estranged from his father because of his career choices.
There's also speculation that the man was somwhat older than the woman, with him possibly about thirty and her as young as eighteen. If a teacher ran off with an adult former student (say a recent high-school graduate), possibly abandoning a wife, then people would have a ready explanation for their disappearance and might not seek further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298