Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You would think if a woman was being tortured that she would not complete a pregnancy but would probably have a miscarriage.

Yes, I agree.
OR perhaps that was all a cover and she was recruited to do some bidding in America with threats against her family as motivation.

Bonnie was only 4'10" - see below. Very sad case but these kids don't resemble the Sumter Does in my humble opinion, and were, frankly, teenagers whose vitals don't match up with those of the Mystery Couple.

cache.php

http://www.mytwintiers.com/news/loc...issing-from-watkins-glen-73-concert/974183778
Just read this article. This couple went missing in 1973. 15-year-old Bonnie Bickwit and boyfriend 16-year-old Mitchel Weiser
Thanks for the link, will also post it on the couple's thread.
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?26862-NY-Mitchel-Weiser-16-amp-Bonita-Bickwit-15-Narrowsburg-27-July-1973&highlight=Bonnie+Bickwit
[h=2]NY - Mitchel Weiser, 16, & Bonita Bickwit, 15, Narrowsburg, 27 July 1973[/h]

I've been fascinated by this case for a long time. When I look at their images I think it is possible that they are French Canadian. I believe they are either Canadian or even Iranian. Back in the 70's Iran was very cosmopolitan with everyone adopting western dress and cultures and many young people went to Europe or the US to go to school. My first instinct, though is that they are from Quebec.

Back in the 70's it was a rite of passage for kids from eastern Canada to make a trek to the west coast, buy a used van then travel down to California, making their way across the country through Arizona etc and then back up home before school started in September. I wonder if that was the route this couple made. I remember reading somewhere on these threads that a mechanic in Nebraska recognized the couple saying he'd worked on their vehicle and that they had traveled from Washington or British Columbia.

In 1973 a young woman called Lucie Gelinas went missing in Trois-Riviere Quebec. She was supposed to travel to Vancouver with a friend and hasn't been seen since. I don't know if the friend was male or female and whether they also are missing. There is a picture of her on the missing website for Canada. She is the same height, 5'5" weighed around 115, had blue-green eyes and shoulder length dark hair. Her chin is very similar to Jane's and she appears to have slightly protruding teeth. The only thing that isn't in keeping with the autopsy results is that Lucie had a scar on her abdomen from surgery. Since there has been so many problems with this case I'm not letting that be a issue.

I can't figure out why they have never been identified. Even a father who was displeased by his son's choices would worry if he just disappeared off the face of the earth. I would love to know what their genetic ethnicity is. Hopefully there is still DNA to be tested.

Attachments

• lucie gelinas.jpg
    lucie gelinas.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 40
I've been fascinated by this case for a long time. When I look at their images I think it is possible that they are French Canadian. I believe they are either Canadian or even Iranian. Back in the 70's Iran was very cosmopolitan with everyone adopting western dress and cultures and many young people went to Europe or the US to go to school. My first instinct, though is that they are from Quebec.

Back in the 70's it was a rite of passage for kids from eastern Canada to make a trek to the west coast, buy a used van then travel down to California, making their way across the country through Arizona etc and then back up home before school started in September. I wonder if that was the route this couple made. I remember reading somewhere on these threads that a mechanic in Nebraska recognized the couple saying he'd worked on their vehicle and that they had traveled from Washington or British Columbia.

In 1973 a young woman called Lucie Gelinas went missing in Trois-Riviere Quebec. She was supposed to travel to Vancouver with a friend and hasn't been seen since. I don't know if the friend was male or female and whether they also are missing. There is a picture of her on the missing website for Canada. She is the same height, 5'5" weighed around 115, had blue-green eyes and shoulder length dark hair. Her chin is very similar to Jane's and she appears to have slightly protruding teeth. The only thing that isn't in keeping with the autopsy results is that Lucie had a scar on her abdomen from surgery. Since there has been so many problems with this case I'm not letting that be a issue.

I can't figure out why they have never been identified. Even a father who was displeased by his son's choices would worry if he just disappeared off the face of the earth. I would love to know what their genetic ethnicity is. Hopefully there is still DNA to be tested.

Interesting, but I don't think that's Jane Doe. The easiest way for me to judge if someone looks like Jane or not is the fact that for me, Jane's nose and eye shape are very similar in one of the photos (I think the post autopsy one) to Sophia Loren's.

Lucie Gelinas was actually suggested as a match to the Buckskin Girl, but I don't know if she was ever compared to any of the unidentified women in the United States. To me, she looks more like BG than this Jane Doe.

Is this the post autopsy pic you're talking about? Even though the deceased's jaw is a bit swollen I find the shape of her face very similar to Lucie. The eyes are very similar as well as the nose. Sophia has cat shaped eyes but I don't see that particular slant in Jane's eyes, open or closed.

Attachments

• sumpter jane doe eyes open.jpg
    sumpter jane doe eyes open.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 50
  • lucie gelinas.jpg
    lucie gelinas.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 41
I don't see any comparisons between Lucie and Jane Doe. Facial characteristics don't look similar; BSG has a receding chin and a prominent nose. I've never heard how old BSG was thought to be but Lucie would have been in her early 30's in 1981.

Edited to add: is there any kind of report that eliminates possible matches so that people aren't revisiting the same MP?

That would be the one, yes. I guess it's not so much the eyes, as the shape of the brow over the eyes. It's not a direct match, but that's who Jane always reminds me of, Sophia, so Sophia is always my guide if I don't have time to find the Jane Doe pics.

I hope the DNA Doe Project examines their DNAs soon. This case needs a closure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with you. Time is running out for these unidentified people. It's possible that their siblings are alive (if there are any) and it's quite possible that their parents are still alive as well. These Does need their names back and their families need closure.

You would think if a woman was being tortured that she would not complete a pregnancy but would probably have a miscarriage.
Well, in fact during the 1976-1983 dictatorship in Argentina, almost 500 newborns disappeared. Torturers wait till the woman had her child and then stole them and gave them to other families, mainly police or militar families. Up to now 127 have been recovered and they got their true identity.

I'm quite intrigued by this story. A couple of thoughts:

- I don't feel this couple came from Canada, I would think they would be identified by now if so. I feel they must have come from further away... perhaps their loved ones don't have a clue where to look for them. Argentina is a good guess, especially as a military dictatorship took power the same year as this couple went missing. I would also include Chile and Uruguay as possibilities. These countries were all under military rule in 1976 so it's possible this couple could have left for exile or better opportunities in the US. Another possible country could be South Africa. "Jacques" is a very common male name among whites in South Africa. That's another country that was experiencing political turmoil in 1976 - with the apartheid government in power and the Soweto uprising also happening that year.
- According to Wikipedia, "Jacques" had scars indicating participation in contact sports. Rugby is very popular in South Africa and is also widely played in Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay.

I'm quite intrigued by this story. A couple of thoughts:

- I don't feel this couple came from Canada, I would think they would be identified by now if so. I feel they must have come from further away... perhaps their loved ones don't have a clue where to look for them. Argentina is a good guess, especially as a military dictatorship took power the same year as this couple went missing. I would also include Chile and Uruguay as possibilities. These countries were all under military rule in 1976 so it's possible this couple could have left for exile or better opportunities in the US. Another possible country could be South Africa. "Jacques" is a very common male name among whites in South Africa. That's another country that was experiencing political turmoil in 1976 - with the apartheid government in power and the Soweto uprising also happening that year.
- According to Wikipedia, "Jacques" had scars indicating participation in contact sports. Rugby is very popular in South Africa and is also widely played in Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay.

I never thought of SA.
It would also makes sense about the dental work. SA was known for their highly skilled doctors, I wonder if that extended to dentists as well.

I never thought of SA.
It would also makes sense about the dental work. SA was known for their highly skilled doctors, I wonder if that extended to dentists as well.

SA dentists are definitely of the same high skill level as their medical doctors.
Since the name "Jacques" would likely indicate Afrikaner heritage, perhaps Jacques' lifestyle was at odds with his parents and he was estranged from them. Afrikaners are very conservative and religious people. Jacques may not have had much to do with his family for some time and maybe took off to the US without telling anybody. Same goes for his female companion. This would also keep in line with the story told by the campground worker who said "Jacques" was estranged from his father due to his career decisions. The campground worker claimed he was from Canada but that may either have been an assumption (even though SA and French Canadian accents sound nothing alike, it's not likely this guy was familiar with either one) or Jacques may have lied due to the reputation of White South Africans at that time. Of course this assumes the campground worker was talking about the same couple.

I did a quick google search about missing South Africans but only really recent cases came up. There's been huge political and social changes in SA since 1976, and much information has likely been lost over the years. Also given the high murder rate in SA, the authorities are unlikely to expend much effort on missing people from 40+ years ago.

If this couple was running away from something, I don't think they would be concerned with being well groomed and neatly dressed. Seems like image was important. Having rings and watches...
If we consider drug running, would explain the execution type killing. Killer made sure they were dead...three bullets each..overkill. Not to mention none to the head or face. To me, this is pretty significant.

Whatever happened to them, it happened very quickly. The coroner also noted they had definitely showered that day or the night before and they were very "fresh". In addition to the drug running theory, they could also have stopped for someone who appeared to be in distress on the road. Perhaps they were ambushed and then taken to a remote road and killed. That kind of thing has happened before. Although shooting them does seem quite excessive if hijacking was the motive.

Have you seen the website? They are offering a reward for the couple's identity. I wonder if they are willing to pay for couple's identity would they pay to have the DNA tested? How would that work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmjordan75