Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you seen the website? They are offering a reward for the couple's identity. I wonder if they are willing to pay for couple's identity would they pay to have the DNA tested? How would that work?

Interesting idea!

Because of the execution style killing, I thought maybe they were drug running...might explain to why no one has come forward. Now I'm wondering if they were apart of some undercover sting that went wrong.

Because of the execution style killing, I thought maybe they were drug running...might explain to why no one has come forward. Now I'm wondering if they were apart of some undercover sting that went wrong.

Yea, I do not think they were on vacation. Simply put, they were in this area for to long. Maybe someone owed them money and in turn they owed the money and couldnt return without it. This is how drug running often times goes.
Or maybe they were pressuring someone for some other reason. I have thought about some kind of child custody. I dont mean the court ordered kind.

It is very possible these people knew someone in the area and were staying at their place. This would explain alot, like the recent shower and where their stuff was at. If this is the case then something else comes into play. Something the coroner ruled out from the start. Sexual assault. Just because it didn't happen on the night of the murders doesn't mean it didn't happen.

It is very possible these people knew someone in the area and were staying at their place. This would explain alot, like the recent shower and where their stuff was at. If this is the case then something else comes into play. Something the coroner ruled out from the start. Sexual assault. Just because it didn't happen on the night of the murders doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Are you calculating their time in the area based on David Batson's account of having played pool with Jacques? I haven't seen a specific date cited. They were supposedly on their way to Florida when Batson encountered them. They may have been returning from Florida when they were killed; they may not have been in the Carolinas the entire time.

I'm glad to see that they are on the DNA radar list! This couple has baffled me for quite sometime now. I feel like I am missing something...like its right under my nose. 😕

Are you calculating their time in the area based on David Batson's account of having played pool with Jacques? I haven't seen a specific date cited. They were supposedly on their way to Florida when Batson encountered them. They may have been returning from Florida when they were killed; they may not have been in the Carolinas the entire time.

Maybe I should have said IMO instead of simply put. The accounts of the campground employee have always confused me. It is my understanding that the does passed through the campground on the way to Florida and on the way back. I think the conversation that took place over a game of pool was on the way back. The employee stated that jock doe said they didn't like Florida very much.
The timeline of this also confuses me. I know this witness came forward several months after the murders but I think he said the conversation took place a couple of weeks before. You would think LE would have confirmed all this at the time but for whatever reason they didnt.
Another thing is what were they doing on the Florence hwy? To me this is the most reliable sighting. If headed north its more likely they would have stuck with I95, west probably I20. A back road between Sumter and Florence with a few little towns in between seems like an odd place for a couple touring the country.

I'm glad to see that they are on the DNA radar list! This couple has baffled me for quite sometime now. I feel like I am missing something...like its right under my nose. 😕

Im glad of this too. Maybe it would at least tell us what part of the world they were from.

Have you seen the website? They are offering a reward for the couple's identity. I wonder if they are willing to pay for couple's identity would they pay to have the DNA tested? How would that work?
Interesting website, this link came to mind considering the shirt worn by the male DOE. Speculation, imo.
http://www.sumtermysterycouple.com/
5. The John Doe had a "1975 IMSA( International Motor Sports Association) Camel GT" shirt from the 1975 IMSA Sebring race in Florida. This shirt was only sold at the Florida Sebring race. Some people have speculated that the John Doe might have a connection to IMSA racing. In fact, the weekend the couple was murdered there was an IMSA race at Talladega Motor Speedway. It be might be possible they attended the race and were on their way back home
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Sr._(racing_driver)
Netherlands) was an American racecar driver, convicted felon and fugitive. After his racing career, which saw him win both U.S. classic endurance races, 24 hours at Daytona and 12 hours of Sebring, he served a 15-year prison sentence for a variety of crimes including drug trafficking and shooting a Federal witness. In 2001 he disappeared on his boat while being sought for questioning by officials regarding the disappearance of his ex-girlfriend. As of 2018 Paul's status is unknown. He is sometimes known in the motorsport scene as John Paul Sr. or John Paul.

So many conflicting accounts. Check out this one from 2015. Says the victims were found face down in a kneeling position and shot in the back of the head. It also states the murder weapon was stolen in Wadesboro NC in 1976 but in 1976 they said it was stolen from Durham NC in 1974.
No wonder this case remains unsolved.

http://m.wistv.com/story/28033611/w...mains-leave-investigators-searching-for-leads

This is actually the first time I read about the couple being found face down in a kneeling position and shot in the back of the head. Every other source that I know claims each of them was shot 3 times in an unknown location and that their bodies were dumped where they were found later. There is even a crime scene photo of them lying on their back.

This is actually the first time I read about the couple being found face down in a kneeling position and shot in the back of the head. Every other source that I know claims each of them was shot 3 times in an unknown location and that their bodies were dumped where they were found later. There is even a crime scene photo of them lying on their back.

I too assumed the positions in the crime scenes were the way they were found. If I'm not mistaken, the former sheriff in this report was an investigator on this case at the time so he should know what the facts are. I just wish they would get the facts straight.
He also stated that no one would admit to having seen them. What? Does this mean the accounts they once considered credible no longer are, or was he simply implying that the witnesses were not positive? I don't know. Its all very confusing to me.

Yes, I always thought it was a shot to the back, chest, and neck. If you look at the crime scene photos, they are on their backs. So I assume they were shot in the back first..rolled over, then chest and neck.

I dont know if it has ever been mentioned here or not but there was another murder in the small town of Olanta SC only 8 miles from where the victims in this case were found. It happened less than 4 months before, involved LE , and some strange circumstances.
I have known about it for years and have always wondered if it could be related to this case. I thought now would be a good time to post about it. Here is a link for anyone interested.

http://www.scnow.com/news/local/article_a745c9be-cd79-11e2-8ad3-0019bb30f31a.html

I dont know if it has ever been mentioned here or not but there was another murder in the small town of Olanta SC only 8 miles from where the victims in this case were found. It happened less than 4 months before, involved LE , and some strange circumstances.
I have known about it for years and have always wondered if it could be related to this case. I thought now would be a good time to post about it. Here is a link for anyone interested.

http://www.scnow.com/news/local/article_a745c9be-cd79-11e2-8ad3-0019bb30f31a.html

Sorry, I had made a post and was trying to edit but somehow deleted it. I will try again.
I was saying it seems like the chief was set up right from the start and he may have been aware of it. I believe he was supposed to have been killed in some kind of robbery attempt but when he locked himself out of the store (either intentionally or unintentionally) it threw the plan out of whack and they had to improvise.
The Officer that was convicted in this shooting was also convicted years later for guns and drugs.
If you take the link below and go down to the fourth memorial post you can read what a former mayor had to say about it.
I'm not saying it has to do with this case but it was close in both time and distance. It involves LE, drugs, a cover up, and three strangers in the middle of the night. I thought it would be worth mentioning.

https://www.odmp.org/officer/reflections/12053-chief-of-police-robert-f-sexton

Yes, I always thought it was a shot to the back, chest, and neck. If you look at the crime scene photos, they are on their backs. So I assume they were shot in the back first..rolled over, then chest and neck.

I agree with all of this. You can clearly see in some of the photos that they were shot in the neck area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper