Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #7 Pam Buckley & James P Freund

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
All depends. Two francophone "Jacques" I serve with here in the NCR.

Both pronounce differently. One is a New Brunswick Acadian and the other Quebecois. Neither is, like you've stated, pronounced as "Jock" …. one is akin to a "G awe ck", the other is like a "G ack". Soft Gs.

True, regional accents can morph into changes to the original pronunciation. It can be initiated by people of other ethnic backgrounds who either can't or won't try to pronounce correctly. My BIL who is Dutch is named Jan which was pronounced like gun with a hard Y like yard and a truncated vowel sound. Rarely, did people pronounce it properly and called him Yan or Yawn or just didn't bother with calling him by his name and called him Jan as in Jan and Dean. Eventually, you conform to the majority.

Living in Ontario I know Francophones who speak fluent French and even those accents can change from someone who may live 600 km away, Penetanguishine from Smooth Rock Falls.

Hopefully, the DNA project will help with solving this mystery. As I stated prior, these murders seem like an execution. To fire three shots each seems overkill. I think the killer/killers intentionally did not fire into the face and head, leaving the face recognizable as if to send a message. If the couple were transported by car with no documentation of being tied up, a second person had to be watching over them while the other drove. But why? And it's also curious as to why not one , but two people with recognizable faces can't be identified!

Okay. I’m probably REALLLLY reaching but.
In 1976 there was a movie called “the twist”. Originally a French novel turned French movie that was remastered into English.

The story is about bored upper class couples carrying on affairs.
There’s a character named Jacques Pierre. He’s the editor of the American writer husband. He begins to have an affair with his clients bored French wife. I can’t provide any more info because I do not speak French (lol most search results summaries are in pure French).
The French title of the movie was Folies Bourgeoises, translating to “bourgeois madness”
From what little info i found, I only know that it’s genre was reportedly a s** comedy.

I don’t know, I have a lot of time on my hands once I’ve put my grandparents to sleep. Haha.

So I was thinking like Lyle Stevik (i butchered that name), maybe it was from a pop culture medium of that time.

Our does were reported to seem from a middle to upper class. Maybe the girl was French. Or they met in a class about the original book. Or IDK.

This is such a reach but I just found it ironic.

In Canada there is a bit of French spoken right? Could these does be Canadian?

Yes, Quebec is a French-speaking province and French is widely spoken in most of the other eastern provinces as well. Also the northern parts of Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont in the US.

Yes, it's widely believed they were Canadian.

Hopefully, the DNA project will help with solving this mystery. As I stated prior, these murders seem like an execution. To fire three shots each seems overkill. I think the killer/killers intentionally did not fire into the face and head, leaving the face recognizable as if to send a message. If the couple were transported by car with no documentation of being tied up, a second person had to be watching over them while the other drove. But why? And it's also curious as to why not one , but two people with recognizable faces can't be identified!

I'll be shocked if DDP doesn't ID at least one of them, if not both.

I think in the end, we're going to have to be satisfied with them being ID'd with no one being charged for their murder.

If the shooter is still alive, I do hope they're seeing that DDP is trying to ID them. I hope they're nervous

That depends on when they were reported missing. If they were reported missing recently, the year they went missing might be incorrect.
I think Rohbeck was reported missing a few years after this couple was found.

That depends on when they were reported missing. If they were reported missing recently, the year they went missing might be incorrect.

Sorry, don't know what happened there I tried to edit twice. Anyway I was just going to say the date is probably correct with all the other information that is given. I thought it was worth a mention. It could possibly be a typo but I doubt it.

Last edited:
This is one of those case that just bothers me to no end and I think about it every day. The pictures of the couple after death are so clear, I feel like if I saw a picture of them alive, such as a yearbook photo, then I would just KNOW it was them. But I have yet to come across anything convincing :/

Yes, Quebec is a French-speaking province and French is widely spoken in most of the other eastern provinces as well. Also the northern parts of Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont in the US.

Yes, it's widely believed they were Canadian.

Just dawned on me they could have had a dual-citizenship, or at the every least were from somewhere else in the Commonwealth. Lots of people moved throughout the Commonwealth in the 60's and into the 70's, just off of personal experience. Some ended up here in the States.

Could be they were newcomers to either Canada or the States, or maybe on an extended visa type deal.

Crazy case and I hope their identities are revealed at some point.

This is one of those case that just bothers me to no end and I think about it every day. The pictures of the couple after death are so clear, I feel like if I saw a picture of them alive, such as a yearbook photo, then I would just KNOW it was them. But I have yet to come across anything convincing :/

To me they both look different in every photo of them

Just dawned on me they could have had a dual-citizenship, or at the every least were from somewhere else in the Commonwealth. Lots of people moved throughout the Commonwealth in the 60's and into the 70's, just off of personal experience. Some ended up here in the States.

Could be they were newcomers to either Canada or the States, or maybe on an extended visa type deal.

Crazy case and I hope their identities are revealed at some point.

which could be why maybe they were not reported missing, family could have thought that while visiting the states they decided to stay there. Jmo.

which could be why maybe they were not reported missing, family could have thought that while visiting the states they decided to stay there. Jmo.

Correct, I think there's a real possibility some things got lost in the mix, perhaps lost in translation both metaphorically and literally.

JMO

It's possible that they were not a 'couple' at all but just 2 kids who either met up on there travels or maybe picked up by the same driver at different stages along the route. They have been the 'mystery couple' since the day they were found and that could be misleading for any family members who are searching for 1 or the other perhaps X

It's possible that they were not a 'couple' at all but just 2 kids who either met up on there travels or maybe picked up by the same driver at different stages along the route. They have been the 'mystery couple' since the day they were found and that could be misleading for any family members who are searching for 1 or the other perhaps X
I've wondered about that possibility quite a bit.

Yeah there's a theory he's Canadian and she's a middle-eastern foreign exchange student he met on his travels. I hope that someone will do ancestry dna testing on them, especially her, to get a better idea of their roots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CapeCodTodd