Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #7 Pam Buckley & James P Freund

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have they mentioned possible contact sports?
Just to add, keeping with Lepley.. he was a pole vaulter, a football player as well as a basketball player, he was studying motorcycle mechanics, working a gas station, he had plans to work alongside his father throughout Summer as a plumbing apprentice (his dads own business) before going off to enlist in the Air Force! It seems to me he has a fully functioning deformed hand. I'm not sure how his injury came about but it certainly didn't seem to restrict him by any means X

Just to add, keeping with Lepley.. he was a pole vaulter, a football player as well as a basketball player, he was studying motorcycle mechanics, working a gas station, he had plans to work alongside his father throughout Summer as a plumbing apprentice (his dads own business) before going off to enlist in the Air Force! It seems to me he has a fully functioning deformed hand. I'm not sure how his injury came about but it certainly didn't seem to restrict him by any means X

Those are certainly contact sports. Pole vaulting is hard on the body.

The trained eye of a coroner should be able to see instantly whether he is looking at a bullets entry or exit wound, since they would look visually different.

With all due respect, this is inaccurate. There are multiple factors that contribute to the appearance of a firearm wound. There are cases where, at a glance, entrance wounds can appear to be exit wounds. Clinical professionals are strongly discouraged from documenting a bullet wound as "entrance" or "exit", so that it can't be used to challenge autopsy/pathology reports at trial (this was the reasoning told to us). Determination is (or should be) made based on a totality of findings--gross examination, microscopic examination, scene investigation, GSR analysis, etc.

Also, coroners are generally elected positions, and usually don't require a forensic pathology degree. Though this may have changed, as it's been a few years since I've had to sit through an ME vs Coroner
in-service. But that's a whole other boring subject.

I hope I'm not coming across too harshly--it isn't meant that way at all. It's just that there have been wrongful convictions because of misconceptions such as this. And if I'm wrong about anything, I'm happy to dine on crow :)

*Warning* this is a pathology textbook containing multiple graphic images of violent trauma
Forensic Pathology (Firearms injuries: pp. 163-200)

With all due respect, this is inaccurate. There are multiple factors that contribute to the appearance of a firearm wound. There are cases where, at a glance, entrance wounds can appear to be exit wounds. Clinical professionals are strongly discouraged from documenting a bullet wound as "entrance" or "exit", so that it can't be used to challenge autopsy/pathology reports at trial (this was the reasoning told to us). Determination is (or should be) made based on a totality of findings--gross examination, microscopic examination, scene investigation, GSR analysis, etc.

Also, coroners are generally elected positions, and usually don't require a forensic pathology degree. Though this may have changed, as it's been a few years since I've had to sit through an ME vs Coroner

I hope I'm not coming across too harshly--it isn't meant that way at all. It's just that there have been wrongful convictions because of misconceptions such as this. And if I'm wrong about anything, I'm happy to dine on crow :)

*Warning* this is a pathology textbook containing multiple graphic images of violent trauma

According to his obituary the coroner in this case, John Raffield, went to forestry school. Fortunately the autopsies were performed at the University of South Carolina, although it doesn't seem to have made much difference at this point.
I also noticed the name Durant. I wish I didn't always notice things like that but I guess that's what keeps me going.

Obituary for John B. Raffield, III | Bullock Funeral Home & Crematorium

Of course the overall findings have to be precise and accurately determined. I wouldnt expect anything less. No coroner in the world should document his findings off a visual alone. However, before all the prodding and poking begins, a coroner CAN recognise the difference visually.. an entry wound is punctured from the outside and will in turn cause one to seep, or bleed out. An exit wound on the other hand erupts from the inside and brings out with it a unique pattern of high velocity blood spatter which does not occur when the bullet lodges. I know that the final autopsy report is based on not what the coroner sees or says but on other experts coming in to analyse and verify anything that may be of valuable evidence in a bid for justice. And rightly so. Although to be fair, I am not trained in this field but I have somehow acquired a lot of knowledge on a lot of different subjects that don't concern me basically. And thank you for the link and some more knowledge haha X

Been looking through Canada's Missing and I never realised just how 'French' Canada was!
Anyways there are many missing men who fit the profile of 'Jock'. As well as all sharing similar facial features. These few jumped right out at me with 1 man having the hairline. 1 man has the eyebrows. Another has the nose. Definite resemblance in all of them. And also Diane Marie Bourne is a potential for our female. Can only find this 1 image of her and it is of poor quality and I would love to see if any members have their hands on a clearer pic of her perhaps?
Edward Arcand/ Kenneth Roy/
Jean Gravel and Richard Damasse Riquier. And Diane Marie Bourne.
Thoughts anybody.. X

Attachments

• Edward.J.Arcand.75 (7).jpeg
    Edward.J.Arcand.75 (7).jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Kenny Roy 21. (7).jpeg
    Kenny Roy 21. (7).jpeg
    23.2 KB · Views: 59
  • showImage (6).jpeg
    showImage (6).jpeg
    12.1 KB · Views: 57
  • showImage (5).jpeg
    showImage (5).jpeg
    13.1 KB · Views: 57
  • D.M.Bourne.22.76 (7).jpeg
    D.M.Bourne.22.76 (7).jpeg
    8.5 KB · Views: 62
100% definite. There is mention of his elaborate, unique dental work. A 4" appendectomy scar and "Also various scars on his back and shoulders which indicated frequent participat
100% definite. There is mention of his elaborate, unique dental work. A 4" appendectomy scar and "Also various scars on his back and shoulders which indicated frequent participation in contact sports". X

Could be hockey or lacrosse, or both.

According to his obituary the coroner in this case, John Raffield, went to forestry school. Fortunately the autopsies were performed at the University of South Carolina, although it doesn't seem to have made much difference at this point.
I also noticed the name Durant. I wish I didn't always notice things like that but I guess that's what keeps me going.

Obituary for John B. Raffield, III | Bullock Funeral Home & Crematorium

Well there seems to be some conflicting information here. The caption for the picture in the one link states that Raffield was the coroner but according to Howard Parnell' s obituary he was coroner at the time. He was the sheriff's nephew and was coroner of Sumter County for a time but I guess since Raffield was in the crime scene photo then the obit must be wrong about the dates.

Obituary of Howard Joshua Parnell, Jr. | South Carolina Cremation Society

The Sumter Daily Item - Google News Archive Search

How does DNA Doe Project work in terms of "pending" case becoming "active"...if anyone knows? Seemingly every time I check that page the Sumter Does are moving down toward the bottom. Is this like Plinko where you fall out the bottom and that means a prize, becoming an active case?

How does DNA Doe Project work in terms of "pending" case becoming "active"...if anyone knows? Seemingly every time I check that page the Sumter Does are moving down toward the bottom. Is this like Plinko where you fall out the bottom and that means a prize, becoming an active case?
That's what I'd like to know as well. They've been in the "pending" category for ages!

Agreed! I feel like the DNA project is what this case needs to solve our John and Jane doe identity mystery.
But, we have been counting the tumbleweeds going by for how long now?!

Pending usually means they're waiting on something--fundraising, information from LE, exhumation and/or extraction, paperwork. That kind of thing. But I don't know what it is in this particular case. I haven't been following DDP that closely.

I'll have to start paying more attention to DNA Doe Project and the pending cases that become active. Currently there are 6 cases below the Sumter Does on the pending list. Lower on the list seems to be moving toward active status. The bottom case on pending is Alachua County John Doe 1979. If that case turns active next then at least I'll have a sense of what is going on.

I'll have to start paying more attention to DNA Doe Project and the pending cases that become active. Currently there are 6 cases below the Sumter Does on the pending list. Lower on the list seems to be moving toward active status. The bottom case on pending is Alachua County John Doe 1979. If that case turns active next then at least I'll have a sense of what is going on.
I frequently edit their page on Wikipedia, specifically the table of active and pending cases.
I practically made it sortable and ordered by current phase and date of discovery.

I know they mention olive skin and wealthy family. Has anybody posted their pictures on FB groups for missing persons of different countries in South America? I would be willing to do that if it hasn’t been done (I can speak Spanish)? There are a lot of people who disappeared during the 70’s and 80’s for political reasons. Maybe their families think they were one of the victims and never looked at any other possibility.

I know they mention olive skin and wealthy family. Has anybody posted their pictures on FB groups for missing persons of different countries in South America? I would be willing to do that if it hasn’t been done (I can speak Spanish)? There are a lot of people who disappeared during the 70’s and 80’s for political reasons. Maybe their families think they were one of the victims and never looked at any other possibility.

That angle has been mentioned a number of times in previous threads but I don't remember exactly what was done. I seem to recall somebody doing a lot of research with Argentina especially.

I d
That angle has been mentioned a number of times in previous threads but I don't remember exactly what was done. I seem to recall somebody doing a lot of research with Argentina especially.
I did hear they considered Argentina, but there are other countries who had people disappear in the 70’s, such as Chile and Uruguay.

I d

I did hear they considered Argentina, but there are other countries who had people disappear in the 70’s, such as Chile and Uruguay.

I don't recall either of those being mentioned--might be worth looking back through the old threads though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saygoodbyetohollywood