Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #7 Pam Buckley & James P Freund

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sumter County Sheriff’s Dept. Website has press releases, but the latest one is for a rescued dog. He made a full recovery, BTW.....

LOL :):)
My husband asked me last night what I'm going to do now that almost all the cases I've been following have been "solved".

Move on to the Mexico project...plenty unidentified and challenges to find them.....

I feel that they were shot and killed by someone they were hitching a ride with. I wouldn't be surprised if he told them to turn their backs to him to steal their wallets, then shot them in the back, dragged their bodies across the ground and then shot them in the chest and throat to make sure they were dead. Also possible that he asked them to turn their backs to him if he was urinating or something and then the same series of events unfolded. Either way I think one of the gunshots would've been enough to kill each of them (in the locations they were at) and he shot them two extra times just "to be sure".

That seems like solid speculation. Thank you.

Do genealogy research for fun so it’s helped me a lot. Also DNA doe is saying article had inaccuracies from news last night

That's interesting because there weren't many facts in the article.

Let's see, off the top of my head:

* Jock from Pennsylvania
* Jane from Wisconsin
* Not related
* Met while hitchhiking
* Families notified
* Identification made when bone marrow matched to relative on Ancestry.com

Okay, obviously we know the Ancestry aspect is almost certainly wrong. But if anything else is inaccurate on the above list then it changes what we believe is correct.

Maybe their families are primarily in those states right now, but Jock and Jane resided elsewhere? Just a guess. Someone on Reddit posted that there "were a number of inaccuracies" in the article

If the Sumter County Sheriff’s office had any idea so many people around the country and the world were waiting to have the names of these two, they would be scrambling to get it done.
My guess is when they announced to release names this morning they weren’t thinking about the inauguration and when they realized it they decided to do it in the afternoon.

Edit: finished the last sentence

Last edited:
If the Sumter County Sheriff’s office had any idea so many people around the country and the world were waiting to have the names of these two, they would be scrambling to get it done.
My guess is when they announced to release names this morning they weren’t thinking about the inauguration and when they realized it they decided to do it

I bet Sumter CO Sheriff's office are getting call after call now from armchair sleuths wanting to know (a) what time the media release will come out; and (b) will it be live-streamed....

I agree but an official statement that it was postponed to day/time xyz would be helpful.

My guess is when they announced to release names this morning they weren’t thinking about the inauguration and when they realized it they decided to do it

That's interesting because there weren't many facts in the article.

Let's see, off the top of my head:

* Jock from Pennsylvania
* Jane from Wisconsin
* Not related
* Met while hitchhiking
* Families notified
* Identification made when bone marrow matched to relative on Ancestry.com

Okay, obviously we know the Ancestry aspect is almost certainly wrong. But if anything else is inaccurate on the above list then it changes what we believe is correct.

Maybe their families are primarily in those states right now, but Jock and Jane resided elsewhere? Just a guess. Someone on Reddit posted that there "were a number of inaccuracies" in the article

On the dna doe facebook page they (DDP) said that they certainly didn't use Ancestry in this or in any other case.

You would think that if they were from Quebec or Argentina then people who said they talked to them would have mentioned that they had a foreign accent. It's not like the Deep South was a cultural melting pot in the late 70s. I'm from Metro Detroit and I was asked in Mississippi if I'm Canadian because of my accent -- which is not Canadian. A French-Canadian accent would obviously stick out even more. Sorry though -- I'm sure that this has been gone over, I'm new to WS.

I also found that weird.
And if youre on the road, you dont usually bring a shaver. It was before BIC. And in the 70's, women did not always shave their legs or underarms.

But yeah, now we know better. But before they were ID'd, of course we all grasped every tiny straw in regards to their possible identity.

The most funny thing in this case for me was the fact that people thought that at least Jane must have been from Europe....because her legs were not shaved.......huhhhh??

They changed the flyer on DDP "Names to be announced"....on second thought they didn't........when are they coming with it, can't wait.....

139692884_2820770798181687_6697224809770471416_n.jpg

I also found that weird.
And if youre on the road, you dont usually bring a shaver. It was before BIC. And in the 70's, women did not always shave their legs or underarms.

But yeah, now we know better. But before they were ID'd, of course we all grasped every tiny straw in regards to their possible identity.
Speaking as a man of the right age, and with a fair sized sampling cross section to speak of, most American women in the 1970s did generally shave legs and underarms. I remember the BIC disposable coming out with great success in the mid 70s, maybe a year or two before the Sumter County Does met with grief. I felt they did have something of a European look to them, but was not strongly inclined to buy that they were European. To me, Jock resembled one of the singers in the Spanish group Mocidades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing-CC