Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James Freund #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I dug up more about the disappearance (sorry for the multiple messages)
James went to his ex-wife's house that day <modsnip> and visited his daughter. He left later on.

I posted before that I looked up the weather in Lancaster PA and CO Springs for the days they were supposed to have left and it wasn’t decent enough for hitch hiking it doesn’t seem. That adds to the mystery for me as there’s no bus records known of.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not sure if this is a possibility, but could James and Pam have met through a date call service? I don’t know how common it was back then, but some dating services put you with another person via a phone call. Maybe they kept in contact.

I’m not sure if this is a possibility, but could James and Pam have met through a date call service? I don’t know how common it was back then, but some dating services put you with another person via a phone call. Maybe they kept in contact.

I was thinking of that from the old “pen pal” angle. I remember having pen pals that I traded Grateful Dead tapes with in the 90s even. And with her being in the music scene where people meet others traveling.

Does anybody have links to all the newspaper articles about James? If someone does have a newspapers.com subscription, would they also possibly be willing to post photos of the articles for the people who don’t? Thanks.

Does anybody have links to all the newspaper articles about James? If someone does have a newspapers.com subscription, would they also possibly be willing to post photos of the articles for the people who don’t? Thanks.

There have been a lot scattered thru the threads. I usually scroll fast and look for thumbnails. I’m not sure about how many pertain to him.

I posted before that I looked up the weather in Lancaster PA and CO Springs for the days they were supposed to have left and it wasn’t decent enough for hitch hiking it doesn’t seem. That adds to the mystery for me as there’s no bus records known of.
This is purely speculative but maybe Jim went out to Colorado Springs/Ft Carson to visit an old army buddy, and met Pam. In fact, maybe Gary Kennell was the old army buddy. Jim and Gary were about the same age and in that time of compulsory service, it isn't a stretch to assume Kennell was in the service.

This is purely speculative but maybe Jim went out to Colorado Springs/Ft Carson to visit an old army buddy, and met Pam. In fact, maybe Gary Kennell was the old army buddy. Jim and Gary were about the same age and in that time of compulsory service, it isn't a stretch to assume Kennell was in the service.

I know I’ve mentioned it before so please forgive my babble, but I think a lot about now how, but why and when they got here to SC. I can’t get past how they were dressed, the shoes, and the investigation saying how clean they appeared. This suggests that they probably, like a lot of people, probably showered and got ready the evening before. I think that was a local place somewhere and what were their plans?

I wonder if LE has checked with the Lebanon VA Hospital in Lancaster, PA for info on James's medical records (I would think he would be going there considering he was a veteran).

I wonder if LE has checked with the Lebanon VA Hospital in Lancaster, PA for info on James's medical records (I would think he would be going there considering he was a veteran).

There was a lot of discussion here about his dental work possibly having been done in Germany but I don’t recall anything about his medical attention.

There was a lot of discussion here about his dental work possibly having been done in Germany but I don’t recall anything about his medical attention.
I meant like regular checkups, etc. I know US Veterans get health benefits via the VA (my dad goes to a VA hospital for these kinds of things since he is a veteran). It might narrow down when he left.

I meant like regular checkups, etc. I know US Veterans get health benefits via the VA (my dad goes to a VA hospital for these kinds of things since he is a veteran). It might narrow down when he left.

I think they pinned down a time that he disappeared but then again, I’ve seen differing accounts of how/if/when he left. I don’t get why, if the reports of them missing exist, why they haven’t been published? It should be a simple police report that media could get. There’s alot of empty spaces here.

The army link possibility made me think of this...

I stumbled upon a 2018 FB post by a gentleman who spent time in Boulder in the 70's music scene. He refers to Kennell's nickname as "Cosmo". He also shares a quote that GK said he "picked up the phrase from some group of vagabond Christians in London...". And, he mentions many of these friends/musicians living in a cabin just across the highway from the sprawling Fort Carson army base.

No, none of this sheds any light on Pam nor James, but I thought it might provide a little more fuel for research.

ETA: There are addresses, locations, names and nicknames mentioned in the FB post but, obviously, sharing or linking this here isn't the right thing to do.

Last edited:
The army thing made me think of this...

I stumbled upon a 2018 FB post by a gentleman who spent time in Boulder in the 70's music scene. He refers to Kennell's nickname as "Cosmo". He also shares a quote that GK said he "picked up the phrase from some group of vagabond Christians in London...". And, he mentions many living in a cabin just across the highway from the sprawling Fort Carson army base.

No, none of this sheds any light on Pam nor James, but I thought it might provide a little more fuel for research.

This is interesting and I would hope that more people from their past were to be found. It just doesn’t make sense that more isn’t known.

I’ve tried to make sense of the shirt and matchbook that James had. Trying to pin that shirt to him being in Florida or where the match book was is a long shot I think. I can’t help but to believe that they were connected to someone or someplace local and what little they were found with wasn’t all they had.

I definitely do not believe that the items they were found with was all that they had. Either their killer(s) took their things after dumping them , or their things were left with someone that did not come forward for whatever reason.

<modsnip>

The "victim friendly" rule extends to the family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, and others who have not been designated as suspects is not allowed. Don't make random accusations, suggest their involvement, nor bash and attack them. Posting their personal information, including names, addresses, and background data -- even if it is public -- is not allowed. That does not mean, however, that statements made by family members and other third parties cannot come into discussion as the facts of the case are reported in the media.

Rules - Etiquette & Information

Last edited by a moderator:
True. I'm still wondering why a more recent photograph isn't available? Wouldn't there be some sort of Army issued photo?

I’m sure there were military photos.

-I’m still chasing the Unsolved Mystery” episode about this case. I have to wait and watch since my guide doesn’t have any episode info. I’m getting caught up on the show so that’s good I guess.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back