Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James Freund #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Locklair Road

I looked at the 1966 and the 1983 images using the the side-by-side comparison feature at the Aerial Viewer site.

What we can learn from this:
1. Locklair went in a straight line across the route of I-95. It looks like the original road was still intact in 66, but of course would be diverted soon after. The diversion route can be seen in 66, but it looks like it was not properly built up yet.

2. The county road that Locklair meets at its south end (or west end before its diversion south) crossed I-95 at ground level in 66. A proper overpass was constructed by 83. We need to find out when that overpass was completed and determine if the county road's intersection with 95 ever allowed vehicles to turn onto the interstate or not. I emailed SC DOT about historical highway maps from the 70s. Hopefully they'll get back to me.

Investigators determined that the vehicle is a van. There must have been footprints. In 2008, investigators released the fact that "they stepped from the back of a van on a secluded dirt road."

A van with back doors makes me think of a delivery type van rather than a passenger van with trunk space. If it was their van, maybe they were living a nomadic van life - a bit like Lucas Fowler and China Deese in BC 2019, or Esther Dingley and Dan Colgate 2014-2020

View attachment 281774
Just another observation. Just about everyone had vans in the 60's through 70's. And I agree with the poster that also noted that underwear was not worn in the 70's. It was just a thing. Hitchhiking was also a popular mode of travel back then. We were all also incredibly trustful back then. Everything was peace and love.

There were no online databases in 1976. Computers were a new thing and very few people had one in their home. IBM was just booting up.

When computers had databases, everything from tire type to shoe sole and DNA databases were created. Databases must have been used, although more tediously like fingerprint analysis, in 1976.
We had one of the very first MacIntosh home computers which started selling in 1984 at Brown University to alum/students. Wish I'd kept it.

Just another observation. Just about everyone had vans in the 60's through 70's. And I agree with the poster that also noted that underwear was not worn in the 70's. It was just a thing. Hitchhiking was also a popular mode of travel back then. We were all also incredibly trustful back then. Everything was peace and love.

You’re probably right about the underwear, but I first thought of them doing their laundry when I read about this case. (Pure speculation.)

If either of them had registered a car, we would know that by now?

I’m trying to catch the Unsolved Mystery show about this but my cable only has 1 ch that has it and there’s no info on the episodes, only the year. They are showing late 80s episodes currently. I still don’t see how that tv attention didn’t ring a bell with somebody about these two.

Each victim had been shot three times in their upper chests and, despite previous reports, neither victim was shot in the throat. The weapon used was believed to be a .357 caliber revolver.

I’ve heard talk on the earlier threads that a .357 can be loaded with .38 ammunition. That would explain why the first reports,,(before they found the weapon,) said that they’d been shot by a .38. And it might explain why there was less visible damage to them?

I’ve heard talk on the earlier threads that a .357 can be loaded with .38 ammunition. That would explain why the first reports,,(before they found the weapon,) said that they’d been shot by a .38. And it might explain why there was less visible damage to them?

That is true but they tested and confirmed the gun. That would explain the earlier notion of the 38 and one acct I read that said “small caliber”. I think the damage not being obvious is like an earlier poster stated about the angle. That would seem to suggest an “execution style” shot from above the head at a down angle. That seems odd considering how they were found. Confusion leads to more confusion with this mess of a case.

You’re probably right about the underwear, but I first thought of them doing their laundry when I read about this case. (Pure speculation.)
That could very well be and is a good thought IMO. I was just reinforcing what another poster posted. While I was reading the post all these memories came rushing back. We all had vans and were going across the country. So idealistic and trusting. Such memories, a simpler time and a lot more innocence was my observation.

All I can make from those pics is what looks to be a dark shadow from the flash angle in the neck areas. I do think I see a blood spot on her face. I’ve yet to see head trauma in any pic I’ve seen of them post death.
Maybe the trauma is internal, as the shot came from the back and exited on their heads.

Perhaps the sheriff explained that it exited there, instead of referring to their necks

In talking with a lady I know about this, she seems to think that there is no way this girl was hitchhiking, or any sort of hiking, with the shoes she was found wearing.

What if she took a bus? Perhaps she was city hopping, exploring and eventually meet James.

If either of them had registered a car, we would know that by now?

I’m trying to catch the Unsolved Mystery show about this but my cable only has 1 ch that has it and there’s no info on the episodes, only the year. They are showing late 80s episodes currently. I still don’t see how that tv attention didn’t ring a bell with somebody about these two.
It’s possible, now that their identities are known, perhaps they have uncovered that lead! ;)

That is true but they tested and confirmed the gun. That would explain the earlier notion of the 38 and one acct I read that said “small caliber”. I think the damage not being obvious is like an earlier poster stated about the angle. That would seem to suggest an “execution style” shot from above the head at a down angle. That seems odd considering how they were found. Confusion leads to more confusion with this mess of a case.

I think that they were found lying face down.

I remember a websleuths user saying that on one of the crime scene photos (the one where both victims appear), James’s arm was moved and thus, giving the impression as if he was lying face down.

I’m unsure if anything was said about Pamela’s position when found.

Re: Locklair Road

I looked at the 1966 and the 1983 images using the the side-by-side comparison feature at the Aerial Viewer site.

What we can learn from this:
1. Locklair went in a straight line across the route of I-95. It looks like the original road was still intact in 66, but of course would be diverted soon after. The diversion route can be seen in 66, but it looks like it was not properly built up yet.

2. The county road that Locklair meets at its south end (or west end before its diversion south) crossed I-95 at ground level in 66. A proper overpass was constructed by 83. We need to find out when that overpass was completed and determine if the county road's intersection with 95 ever allowed vehicles to turn onto the interstate or not. I emailed SC DOT about historical highway maps from the 70s. Hopefully they'll get back to me.

Good work checking into that. I severely doubt there were entrance/exit ramps on that south side. It looks like a typical situation in which major highways are being built but not completed yet, and they hold off as long as possible before disrupting local traffic flow. Same thing happened in Delphi, IN regarding Hoosier Heartland Highway (State Road 25). That wasn't completely until 2014 or thereabouts. It essentially cut the small town in half. There are numerous online satellite views that show the 25 routing being done but the former crossover routes still intact, just like 1966 Sumter. Eventually those Delphi routes were cut off, including County Road 300 forced to take a ridiculous sideways loop de loop before crossing underneath 25.

Besides, I'm baffled how this aspect changes anything. We have no indication the killer(s) traveled the full length of Locklair, whether there were ramps on that south side or not. IMO, if tire tracks had been available for 1.2 miles on a dirt road the time frame articles would have made note of that. If there were ramps on the south side it merely contributes to the likelihood that this crime was based on interstate travel, and he could have exited/entered from either side.

The signal to a local crime would have been if he turned right on Old St. John Church Road on departure, instead of left back toward I-95. Again, there is nothing to indicate that.

While leaving I ventured right on Old St. John Church Road and looked around for about 20 minutes. There wasn't a heck of a lot to see. After passing several homes and traveling maybe a mile there was a road at right. I turned down that road. There were more homes on either side. This road is basically parallel to Locklair but much further from I-95. Then if you continue bearing right you eventually make it to the south side entrance to Locklair Road, although again Google Street View doesn't allow venturing far.

Here is that link, if anyone is interested. This after is turning right on Old St. John Church Road from the Locklair intersection, and arriving upon the first available road at right. There are several homes after you turn right. I'm not sure if those residents could have heard the gunshots from that far away:

Google Maps

I think that they were found lying face down.

I remember a websleuths user saying that on one of the crime scene photos (the one where both victims appear), James’s arm was moved and thus, giving the impression as if he was lying face down.

I’m unsure if anything was said about Pamela’s position when found.

They were both face up. Per this article, they were shot twice in the back, rolled over and shot point blank under or near the chin - into the head. There's a photo.

4 Apr 2008, 3 - National Post at Newspapers.com

At the risk of being exceptionally crude, here are the two photos that were published in 1976 and in 2008. They show the ditch, as well as tree growth at that time.

View attachment 281750

Link upthread and at the top left corner

View attachment 281751

4 Apr 2008, 3 - National Post at Newspapers.com

Looking at these pics again, apparently that road wasn’t used much at all with that overgrowth in the middle between the tire grooves. Weird also for some reason to me, that their feet are resting in the road. I don’t know why that irks me but it does.

Good work checking into that. I severely doubt there were entrance/exit ramps on that south side.
I don't think there were ramps there. I am suggesting, as others have, there may have been an intersection at the level of the interstate before the bridge was constructed. Others have pointed out such intersections existing elsewhere.

Besides, I'm baffled how this aspect changes anything. We have no indication the killer(s) traveled the full length of Locklair, whether there were ramps on that south side or not. IMO, if tire tracks had been available for 1.2 miles on a dirt road the time frame articles would have made note of that. If there were ramps on the south side it merely contributes to the likelihood that this crime was based on interstate travel, and he could have exited/entered from either side.
On the other hand, is ther any indication the killers turned around if they had come in on St. John Church Road? According to the "ear" witness, there were shots, doors closing, and then the screech of tires. That doesn't suggest a vehicle turning around.

How do tires squeal on loamy dirt? I missed that witness account.

Back on earlier threads, people brought up that point. Someone made the suggestion that the ‘witness’ account or accounts, even though sincere, might have been highly colored by television—cops and robbers fiction, not news. I find that believable—I’ve witnessed that happen before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abbytross