Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
why?
what is knightdale? how does it change the case?
was she killed somewhere other than the house and then dumped?

Sorry, I meant the hearing was becoming more interesting in general. Didn't mean because it could be related to knightdale. This is a neighboring town and at first I thought their LE was somehow involved, as I had mentioned the hearing was "slow" going imho up to this time.

why?
what is knightdale? how does it change the case?
was she killed somewhere other than the house and then dumped?

Knightdale is a suburb in Wake Co just like Apex, Cary, Wake Forest...he just threw out there a suburb..again off the cuff. Knightdale is the other side of the county from where NC lived and was found.

I too think he will leave them sealed but he seems to be intrigued by the interesting argument...both representing the publics concern. His response should be interesting in terms of his phrasing.

ETA...don't think he's happy this is on his docket

It really is interesting hearing both sides. Glad I'm not the judge! Both sides have valid arguements. Personally though, I do feel like they should remain sealed. I agree with the DA that it would contaminate investigation.

...if he thinks the affidavits are just hearsay.

Most of them are...NC friends only know what she told them. They had time to compare notes, talk amoungst themselves. There is actually only a few things they witnessed 1st hand.

I think the affidavits are "hearsay" because they say what LE suspects happened, and what they believe they may find at the location to be searched.

The only way to know what (and how much) incriminating (or not) evidence LE has would be to see what was seized during the search, and/or affidavits/warrants from subsequent searches that were based upon evidence recovered.

It really is interesting hearing both sides. Glad I'm not the judge! Both sides have valid arguements. Personally though, I do feel like they should remain sealed. I agree with the DA that it would contaminate investigation.

Posted via Mobile Device

ITA--thinking there will not be a local trial and we'll see a change in venue other than Wake County.

Most of them are...NC friends only know what she told them. They had time to compare notes, talk amoungst themselves. There is actually only a few things they witnesses 1st hand.
No, I'm assuming the stuff they're looking for that is in the SW's are just heresay and that's why the judge doesn't want them opened. Help explain what he meant, please.

mt3: the affidavits mentioned in the hearing are documents required as part of the process to obtain/execute a SW. They are different than the custody case documents.

I did too find it more interesting near the end and I too feel he is not going to unseal them, simply because of his statements leaning towards protecting the rights of the persons not there to defend themselves, dependents or future defendants.

I think the affidavits are "hearsay" because they say what LE suspects happened, and what they believe they may find at the location to be searched.

The only way to know what (and how much) incriminating (or not) evidence LE has would be to see what was seized during the search, and/or affidavits/warrants from subsequent searches that were based upon evidence recovered.
Thanks, DB. Makes sense.

Last thing about leased vehicles and license plates. I checked our vehicle that is leased and it does not appear under our name for taxes. That car is not here at the house or I would look it up by license plate (I don't have the plates memorized).

The blue plates are being phased out and replaced by the red ones. They are starting w/ the oldest blue ones currently on cars and replacing them at the time of renewal. All new standard plates being issued are red. And all of the writing on the plates is red. The sticker color varies based on the year.

The stickers should definitely be on the plate, but as someone else said, they could still be attached to the registration card.

I did too find it more interesting near the end and I too feel he is not going to unseal them, simply because of his statements leaning towards protecting the rights of the persons not there to defend themselves, dependents or future defendants.

Right...and I also get the feeling ...since Brad Coopers lawyers want them UN sealed... and the judge/DA saying this could give A defendant an unfair trail... there is someone else beside BC to look at.

Did Judge Stephens say he was going to issue a decision today? I heard him say he would like to, then my kids came in and I didn't hear the rest.

Right...and I also get the feeling ...since Brad Coopers lawyers want them UN sealed... and the judge/DA saying this could give A defendant an unfair trail... there is someone else beside BC to look at.
I can't hear because of broken speakers...but are you saying Brad's attorneys want them UNSEALED!! Why?!!

I can't watch or listen but why would BC's attorney want them unsealed?

Did Judge Stephens say he was going to issue a decision today? I heard him say he would like to, then my kids came in and I didn't hear the rest.

First he implied that he was busy with another trial at the moment, suggesting it wouldn't be today.

Then someone (off camera made a comment), he laughed and said...ok he'd see what he could do.

Then...camera was left on him for a time bit as the room emptied, he sighed loudly as he was getting up. He's not happy he got this one. Don't blame him, he seemed to be a bit more intrigued by the argument as the hearing went on. He thought it interesting both were arguing in favor of the public but from different viewpoints. Still, I think they'll remain sealed in the interest of preventing mistrials to preserve defendants and to keep future witnesses unbiased.

mt3: the affidavits mentioned in the hearing are documents required as part of the process to obtain/execute a SW. They are different than the custody case documents.

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood him and that part.

He did talk about the general public and speculation amoungst us. I assumed the affidavits were the ones from BC friends since he said they mostly would be hearsay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbhe224