Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, this is a terrific find. So let me understand, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong. I am NO techy!

VoIP is merely a way to control your phone and even network, through your pc and internet?

VoIP is controlled by routers, supplied by someone like Cisco?

VoIP phone calls are detectable once they hit the 'public wires?'

There are ways to hide or go undetected using VoIP, but once it hits the public domain there's no way to hide the activity?

So.......IF TWC doesn't go through the regular worldwide internet, but TWC, does that mean it can be 'altered, changed, falsified?'

I know this sounds complicated and that I don't know what I'm talking about. LOL, and I don't. :confused:

JMHO
fran

IP is Internet Protocol. It is the fundamental "language" for the Internet. It is also used by many (most) businesses for their internal networks or "intranets".

VoIP is Voice-over-IP. The idea is that instead of using a separate telephone network (think Ma Bell here), your voice calls go over networks that are speaking IP.

Many businesses are moving to VoIP for their internal phone systems. There is tremendous savings in doing this. They already have IP based networks for their data communications. So, if they run their voice over these same networks, they save money on infrastructure and maintenance.

You can also use VoIP for your home phone. If you do this, your calls go in and out of your house over your Internet connection rather than over some separate phone connection. You buy home Internet service from some provider such as Time Warner, Charter, Bellsouth DSL, etc, etc. Then you buy VoIP service from any of a number of VoIP providers. Now, Time Warner does provide VoIP service as well (they call it "Digital Phone). So, if you live in a Time Warner service area, you can buy your Internet service from them and your VoIP service as well.

My guess would be that the Coopers had Time Warner's VoIP service and the subpoena is to get the call records for that service.

I'm not following your points about "altered, changed, falsified" or hiding things with VoIP.

Yeah, I know...I'm just so impatient and really thought it would be a slam dunk. I have conducted investigations (not murder - more of the forensic accounting type) before and know sometimes it takes a lot longer than one might think.

I just really thought something would have happened by now.

I would not be surprised to see this go for a while before there is an arrest. I just think there is much to go through - computers, phone records and so on and then the lab turn around time of 60 days - it's going to take some time I'm afraid. I'd rather they take their time and make sure rather than to jump the shark.

Well it would fit w/ VoIP, right? I don't understand the Cisco system and would need d99gr81 to let us know how the TWC phone and a Cisco system would work together.

Think of TWC as just the Internet provider. They provide the connectivity to the Internet. Now, they also sell their VOIP Service, but that does not mean that you cannot use other providers service. I have TWC and I use their VOIP, but I also have Vonage that I use too, on the same connection, and at the same time.

Cisco is a bit different in that you have to have a specific switch for the Cisco phone to work with, but I am sure that BC had that, either at home, or more likely had one that he understood how to access at work, In this event, it would be like taking your office phone home with you. When someone dials his internal extension number, it would ring at home, and when he made calls with it, they were actually made from Cisco's office. This is very similar to using a laptop to connect to a VPN at the office, for those of you who might work remotely.

CyberPro

The VoIP service that Time Warner provides to Cary is different from the VoIP systems that are used in businesses.

With the Time Warner provided VoIP service, you get a standard dial tone in your home and use a standard telephone. It would be no easier nor harder to fake a phone call compared to a traditional phone service, such as offered by BellSouth. The difference is invisible inside the house.

To spoof a call from home, all you need is a computer with modem.

All the talk about Brad's expertise with business class VoIP systems is irrelevant.

IP is Internet Protocol. It is the fundamental "language" for the Internet. It is also used by many (most) businesses for their internal networks or "intranets".

VoIP is Voice-over-IP. The idea is that instead of using a separate telephone network (think Ma Bell here), your voice calls go over networks that are speaking IP.

Many businesses are moving to VoIP for their internal phone systems. There is tremendous savings in doing this. They already have IP based networks for their data communications. So, if they run their voice over these same networks, they save money on infrastructure and maintenance.

You can also use VoIP for your home phone. If you do this, your calls go in and out of your house over your Internet connection rather than over some separate phone connection. You buy home Internet service from some provider such as Time Warner, Charter, Bellsouth DSL, etc, etc. Then you buy VoIP service from any of a number of VoIP providers. Now, Time Warner does provide VoIP service as well (they call it "Digital Phone). So, if you live in a Time Warner service area, you can buy your Internet service from them and your VoIP service as well.

My guess would be that the Coopers had Time Warner's VoIP service and the subpoena is to get the call records for that service.

I'm not following your points about "altered, changed, falsified" or hiding things with VoIP.

SS,

(Cool name, BTW)

The stuff about possible alterations of the VOIP are speculation only, but worthy of a look.

BC is a CCIE for VOIP with Cisco. According to his affidavit, NC Called him from home during his trips to the store, allegedly to get him to pick up some juice. IIRC, he said she called from home. According to an affidavit from one of the friends, BC had previously installed a Cisco VOIP unit in their home, and NC felt that BC was able to monitor and interrupt the calls to and from home. BC rebuts this claim, and stated that he had removed/replaced the Cisco phone with a normal VTech phone from Best Buy due to a request by NC.

The speculation is that BC was able to configure a phone device, it could have been a computer, fax, or a command in the VOIP system to place the call from home to the cell, thereby to establish a time anchor where an adult (presumably NC) was able to call his cell from home. If this IS actually true, it would mean that she was alive at approximately the time that she was supposed to go for the run. Speculation seems to be running that she was unable to run, walk, talk etc. at that time.

If this holds true, BC might have records indicating remote access to the phone switch from a public hotspot, or a record of the call being placed automatically.

CyberPro

The VoIP service that Time Warner provides to Cary is different from the VoIP systems that are used in businesses.

With the Time Warner provided VoIP service, you get a standard dial tone in your home and use a standard telephone. It would be no easier nor harder to fake a phone call compared to a traditional phone service, such as offered by BellSouth. The difference is invisible inside the house.

To spoof a call from home, all you need is a computer with modem.

All the talk about Brad's expertise with business class VoIP systems is irrelevant.

Would there be some type of indicator on the phone bill -- i.e., could someone tell if the call was called by actually dialing the phone oneself vs. telling the computer to dial it? And, if you set the computer to dial a number at a specific time, i'm presuming if one answers the phone the computer called, the call will be disconnected only when the called phone hangs up? jeesh -- i'm giving myself a headache just trying to word this...:crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SouthEnd