Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know either, but someone appears to be scared of the dark with all the lights on.:eye::eye:

Maybe the place is haunted by a ghost seeking justice - or there's a whole lot of painting going on - house needs to be on the market soon.

Sorry, he wasn't a POI.

MPD said 'Scott has not been cleared' or something like that. They NEVER said he was a 'suspect' or POI.

fran

That's right Fran - I believe they said he hadn't been ruled out as a suspect.
Seems to me I read or heard someone from LE recently say that they don't use POI, that POI was a media term. Can't remember exactly.

It's a reasonable question. In general, I'm not sure how much that risk changes though even if they do name a POI or suspect. Unless you've been charged with a crime, presumably, you're free to roam? [ Sure LE can ask/request you to "hang tight", (and they may very well have in this case, with BC responding in kind) but unless they arrest you, I don't think it can be enforced (even if they name you as a suspect/POI) ]

I think one of the reasons an arrest can come before an indictment is in cases where flight-risk is considered significant (with another driver being considered a risk to others/society).

[ and even then, LE would certainly want to have significant enough evidence to make that arrest hold through to indictment and not just be temporary ]

So, as I understand it, even if you're a suspect/POI/none-of-the-above, you're free to go/do/be as you please (which makes sense).

Not to say LE isn't keep an eye on you in all of these cases, and hopefully a close eye (in the Laurean case (in NC) he was surely a POI (even if not named), and no doubt they were keeping an eye on him, but he managed get to Mexico before ultimately being tracked down).

Certainly if you're an (unnamed) POI, and you go on the lam, I don't think it helps the "optics". :)

I wonder if his status as a Canadian on a work visa has something to do with this? It's not your average "not named as a POI" POI. Perhaps due to his status, he's not free to come and go as he pleases?

I totally understand what you are saying BUT this will be different than any case than I can ever think of.

Regarding why this case is different from others (ie, so much circumstantial, and not even naming one POI), I think it's a fair question.

Agree, it seems there's a whole lot more examples of cases where with even (seemingly) less CE, POI/suspects are named. Maybe it's case-by-case like I said though: IF LE thinks naming you may 'force your hand', or force others around you to make a move, then it's done. If not, then they keep it close to the vest.

LE does have the PR aspect of it, and as mentioned, that can be a factor (though presumably secondary to getting justice).

Here's a thought:
LE has made the statement that it isn't a random crime, and they're making great progress. These are seemingly is in contradiction with not naming any suspects or POIs.

The thing is, in this Cary neighborhood, given the circumstances, time-of-day, etc, it is fairly easy for most folks to reasonably accept that it really isn't likely to be a random crime (sure, it's possible, but not likely). Therefore, LE can "get away with" making these seemingly contradictory statements (for now), and not risk (overwhelming) fear of public outcry/panic.

Certainly, if it was in a different neighborhood perhaps, and/or different circumstances, and/or if there were suddenly a string of similar crimes like this in the same vicinity, then LE would have a much tougher PR situation on their hand to continue making the statements ("no named suspects/POIs", "not random", "making great progress")

What makes this one unique is the circumstances are such that LE can (for now) "get away" with making these statements (thus far) without a massive public outcry/panic, thereby allowing them to keepthe cards closer to the vest (for the time being).

Is that plausible?

No, but he owed it to Nancy the woman he claims to have loved, and wanted the marriage to work with.

Reread BC's affidavit 194 & 195. He spent the morning with the girls before the service on Saturday and told Bella what happened to her mom just before the service.

If BC was anything of a man and not a mouse, he would have sucked it up for those girls he claims he loves and gotten thru it with them. What is a parent for? To be there in time of need. HE WASN'T THERE when they needed him!:mad:

How HORRIBLE to tell you children mommy is dead then walk away from them.
It is absolutely disgusting IMO

Post of the Day Mom!:clap::clap:

Totally messed that up didn't I - haunted by - but I see you filled in the blank. :clap::clap:

It is getting late...:crazy:

I believe it was you who, earlier today, asked everyone to post their "red flags" in this case. Here are mine:

Marriage appears to be completely deteriorated and even hostile.

LE stated -IMMEDIATELY - that they believe this was an isolated incident and NOT a random act of violence.

That's all. Until the autopsy report is in, I need nothing more to form my opinion. :crazy:

Regarding why this case is different from others (ie, so much circumstantial, and not even naming one POI), I think it's a fair question.

Agree, it seems there's a whole lot more examples of cases where with even (seemingly) less CE, POI/suspects are named. Maybe it's case-by-case like I said though: IF LE thinks naming you may 'force your hand', or force others around you to make a move, then it's done. If not, then they keep it close to the vest.

LE does have the PR aspect of it, and as mentioned, that can be a factor (though presumably secondary to getting justice).

Here's a thought: LE has made the statement that it isn't a random crime, and they're making great progress. These are seemingly is in contradiction with not naming any suspects or POIs.

The thing is, in this Cary neighborhood, given the circumstances, time-of-day, etc, it is fairly easy for most folks to reasonably accept that it really isn't likely to be a random crime (sure, it's possible, but not likely). Therefore, LE can "get away with" making these seemingly contradictory statements (for now), and not risk (overwhelming) fear of public outcry/panic.

Certainly, if it was in a different neighborhood perhaps, and/or different circumstances, and/or if there were suddenly a string of similar crimes like this in the same vicinity, then LE would have a much tougher PR situation on their hand to continue making the statements ("no named suspects/POIs", "not random", "making great progress")

What makes this one unique is the circumstances are such that LE can (for now) "get away" with making these statements (thus far) without a massive public outcry/panic, thereby allowing them to keepthe cards closer to the vest (for the time being).

Is that plausible?

The residents of Enchanted Oaks heard this same exact story - 20 months ago. Nice neighborhood, low to no crime etc. LE isn't trying to get away with anything. They are saying what they believe to be true, anything less is pure negligence. There is no contradiction in saying non random and not naming a suspect to the public as long as LE has one in mind - once that label goes on the whole game changes.

I wonder if his status as a Canadian on a work visa has something to do with this? It's not your average "not named as a POI" POI. Perhaps due to his status, he's not free to come and go as he pleases?

I would tend to doubt the work-visa situation results in any short-term travel limitations.
As a Canadian citizen, he's surely free to travel back to Canada, and then any other places in the world where Canadians are free to travel (still quite welcome in most countries I think :) ]

The work-visa situation is US regulation that says non-citizens can't just come in and work forever in the US (presumably displacing a US job) without the special government approvals (escalating from visa/greencard/citizenship) (which take time, company sponsorship, etc). I'm not aware that being in this process limits your ability to travel in any way in the meantime.

If you don't get sponsored/approved (at least to greencard status) then ultimately, you have to return to your home country (or risk deportation), but I think that's the worst that comes of it.

Disclaimer: Not nearly as well versed as others might be on this, but the above my general understanding.

Maybe the place is haunted by a ghost seeking justice - or there's a whole lot of painting going on - house needs to be on the market soon.

NoNo RC....remember the house was going on the market because NC & BC were going to seperate. Now Nancy is dead so he doesn't have to sell. He can have it all to himself.:furious:

The residents of Enchanted Oaks heard this same exact story - 20 months ago. Nice neighborhood, low to no crime etc. LE isn't trying to get away with anything. They are saying what they believe to be true, anything less is pure negligence. There is no contradiction in saying non random and not naming a suspect to the public as long as LE has one in mind - once that label goes on the whole game changes.

Good point. Yeah, didn't mean to imply LE was trying to be deceptive or anything, and agree they're telling it like it is to the extent they can (weighing keeping the public "calm/assured", while not disclosing anything that would impede their own investigation)

My assumption is that the external pressure on them (for reasons ranging from PR/political/public-calming/other) to name any KNOWN POI's can vary from case-to-case.

In the case of NC, for now, the external pressure to name a POI is (relatively) low, so they have little (no) incentive to name any known POIs. [ In general, most reasonable folks in the public seem to accept (on face value) their statement that the crime isn't random ] [ Perhaps similarly in Enchanted Oaks - though I thought in that case they did fairly quickly name the husband as a "POI" ].

If the circumstances/neighborhood/frequency are different, then the pressure to name their known POIs increases, and perhaps they end up doing so (weighing that against the desire to not "tip their hand" any more than they want to).

For example, if there were a rash of similar crimes all in a short timeframe, and all close together, and LE kept saying they weren't random, they were making good progress, and yet they weren't "naming" any POI's, (all of which would be true, as they may have POI's, just didn't want to name them), the public would probably start to get a little more... well... anxious, and LE may opt to name a POI so as to dispel fears. For now, that doesn't seem necessary, and therefore no one has been named.

All this is just my speculation/response to Roy23's query as to why in some (seemingly many) cases, LE (relatively) quickly announces a POI, and in other cases they don't (or never do). Outside the above thoughts, (and my earlier thought that sometimes naming someone as a POI might "force some movement" or put some pressure on the POI), why would LE ever name someone as a POI/suspect prior to arrest?

NoNo RC....remember the house was going on the market because NC & BC were going to seperate. Now Nancy is dead so he doesn't have to sell. He can have it all to himself.:furious:

And apparently does have it all to himself! If the reports of his attempted/threatened suicides are true, I fear that is how this may end...

On another note, I posted my "red flags" earlier. I left out the fact that BC's childrent were removed from his care almost immediately. That is so uncommon...

Does anyone remember when a pregnant Cary woman was murdered by her husband when he pushed her over a bridge onto a Cary greenway? I don't even remember the decade it happened in, but I'm thinking the 1990's. There's a Cary murder that I bet has gone forgotten.

NCNative,

Nope, I recall that case very well... I should, it practically happened in my back yard. I HAD nearly forgotten about it, or at least had not thought of it in a while. It was in the 90's, and at the time I was living in my house that backed up against Cary Parkway near the intersection with Harrison. Crow's flight distance between my house and the bridge where this one happened could not have been 300 yards.

In this case, the husband said he was out walking with his wife, and a car came along as they were crossing the bridge, and knocked him into the concrete railing, but knocked her off the bridge. It was New Years night or New Years Day, IIRC. I KNOW it was VERY FOGGY that night, I remember that very well, one of the most dense fogs I have ever seen. The story did not ring true to me at the time, and as it turned out, he pushed or threw his wife over the bridge, she fell about 30 feet and landed on her feet! Her ankles and other bones were broken, and he apparently attacked her with a rock at the bottom of the greenway. IIRC, he was from Canada too, and had served in the Canadian Army, I believe he took a plea bargin, because I never heard about his trial, although I do know he was arrested.

CyberPro

If Brad is the murderer, he is probably scared to stay in that house. I think that show where they look for ghosts or whatever in houses, should come to the Cooper's house.

Another thing: the home in Enchanted Oaks where Michelle Young was murdered is now owned by someone else. I saw a couple's name when I did the search. Do you think you could live in a home when you know someone has been murdered in the home? I could NOT.

Do realtors/previous owners have to disclose that information? I would not want to buy the Cooper's home, no matter what.

And last of all, I still think that if Brad is the murderer, he would take the cowardly way out if/when caught and commit suicide if he didn't pull a Scott Peterson and try to run away, which is really stupid. But it's been done before.

And apparently does have it all to himself! If the reports of his attempted/threatened suicides are true, I fear that is how this may end...

On another note, I posted my "red flags" earlier. I left out the fact that BC's childrent were removed from his care almost immediately. That is so uncommon...

There are so many red flags with BC and this situation, that once you sit back and look at them it is overwhelming, isn't it?

As bad as I hate to say it, if he goes thru with his threats of the past, he brought this on himself. NC wanted to live and she wasn't given that opportunity IMO. If this is his easy way out so be it.

And Fran, IIRC they wanted to wait to make the arrest on Peterson until the DNA on the bodies came back but with Scott bleaching his hair and his newly grown goatee, and his weird behavior after the bodies washed ashore they made the arrest in anticipation of him leaving the country. So even in that case, they wanted to wait for the DNA but couldn't.

(Bolding Above is Mine)

Scott did NOT bleach his hair. Don't you remember, he just fell into a pool at a friend's house and the chlorine in the pool bleached it! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yep, that sure must have been a CLEAN pool... sounds like they filled it with Ty-D-Bowl.

CyberPro

Oh yes, CyberPro, I remember the fog when that pregnant woman was killed too. You were very close to all of it. I remember reading all the details in the Cary News. I don't remember his being Canadian. I wish someone who is good at researching could bring that news article up. It told all about how she was pregnant but that wasn't really what he or maybe both of them (?) wanted. The details have faded.

There was yet another woman killed by her husband in a home in Cary. All I remember is something about her being upstairs. Gosh darn this simple brain tonight. I'd say that was probably in the 1990s too. I do remember that the husband called the police and even met them when they came. Am I right on this one?

I just can't imagine killing a spouse that wasn't putting you in danger. People are nuts. Now if I was married to a nutjob and he was threatening my safety and I couldn't get away, I might take care of things for survival. But even then I'd be scared to death.

OK. The murdered woman on the Cary greenway was 4 mos. pregnant, 1995, Karen Boychuk. That's what I found. I'm going to research this stuff.

Cary isn't as innocent as it seems. We old timers remember the bad things.

If only they would hurry up and solve this murder of Nancy Cooper. It's has more twists and turns than the others.(Edited to correct the date).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm