Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes, CyberPro, I remember the fog when that pregnant woman was killed too. You were very close to all of it. I remember reading all the details in the Cary News. I don't remember his being Canadian. I wish someone who is good at researching could bring that news article up. It told all about how she was pregnant but that wasn't really what he or maybe both of them (?) wanted. The details have faded.

There was yet another woman killed by her husband in a home in Cary. All I remember is something about her being upstairs. Gosh darn this simple brain tonight. I'd say that was probably in the 1990s too. I do remember that the husband called the police and even met them when they came. Am I right on this one?

I just can't imagine killing a spouse that wasn't putting you in danger. People are nuts. Now if I was married to a nutjob and he was threatening my safety and I couldn't get away, I might take care of things for survival. But even then I'd be scared to death.

Yes - Look it up!!!! And while you're at it, look at Stephen and Tara Grant's case. I've mentioned it before and, while I don't want to go O/T here, I do believe there are many similarities. :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Good point. Yeah, didn't mean to imply LE was trying to be deceptive or anything, and agree they're telling it like it is to the extent they can (weighing keeping the public "calm/assured", while not disclosing anything that would impede their own investigation)

My assumption is that the external pressure on them (for reasons ranging from PR/political/public-calming/other) to name any KNOWN POI's can vary from case-to-case.

In the case of NC, for now, the external pressure to name a POI is (relatively) low, so they have little (no) incentive to name any known POIs. [ In general, most reasonable folks in the public seem to accept (on face value) their statement that the crime isn't random ] [ Perhaps similarly in Enchanted Oaks - though I thought in that case they did fairly quickly name the husband as a "POI" ].

If the circumstances/neighborhood/frequency are different, then the pressure to name their known POIs increases, and perhaps they end up doing so (weighing that against the desire to not "tip their hand" any more than they want to).

For example, if there were a rash of similar crimes all in a short timeframe, and all close together, and LE kept saying they weren't random, they were making good progress, and yet they weren't "naming" any POI's, (all of which would be true, as they may have POI's, just didn't want to name them), the public would probably start to get a little more... well... anxious, and LE may opt to name a POI so as to dispel fears. For now, that doesn't seem necessary, and therefore no one has been named.

All this is just my speculation/response to Roy23's query as to why in some (seemingly many) cases, LE (relatively) quickly announces a POI, and in other cases they don't (or never do). Outside the above thoughts, (and my earlier thought that sometimes naming someone as a POI might "force some movement" or put some pressure on the POI), why would LE ever name someone as a POI/suspect prior to arrest?

Maybe you and RC know something about Cary that I don't. I just have never seen another case like this. I am under the impression that BC can go and do whatever he likes since he has not been named an POI or suspect. That is the way I understand it. I know BC has already lawyered up and LE has issued search warrants pertaining to him but he has legal rights to do as he pleases. And LE, the Coroner's office still has released nothing. He can walk and force their hand.

Thank You Anderson. The more I hear of poor Brad and how he couldn't handle the service and the attention...BULL!

IMO he brought this on himself and no one else did it to him. If he thinks the media is in his face now, he has no idea what it is going to be like when they come to take him to :behindbar

Those poor children...if he had a thread of decency in his body he would have put those girls feelings 1st and foremost putting his feelings 2nd. That's what parents do!! He should have sucked it up, gone to the service to show them it is OK to be sad.

How, just how can anyone tell a child your mom is ~dead~ and walk away. :mad:

His day is coming and not soon enough IMO

Do we know if Brad was welcome at the memorial? Perhaps Nancy's family asked Brad to stay away? The memorials seemed to be set up by Nancy's family and Nancy's friends. I doubt Brad would have been welcome at EITHER and I have no doubt it fell to someone involved to tell Brad he was not welcome to attend. Since both Nancy's closest friends and Nancy's family have made no secret about stating they believe Brad to be guilty of murdering Nancy I cannot imagine them asking (or even allowing) Brad to attend any memorial they organized. And Brad attending could have ended in a horrid public confrontation or worse and I doubt THAT would have been something anyone wanted - especially Nancy's family with the girls in attendance.

I cannot see THIS as a "sign" of anything. We do not know the details and have no way of knowing if Brad stayed away by his own choice, or at the request of someone else. Other things are far more telling, IMO.

My Opinion

Do we know if Brad was welcome at the memorial? Perhaps Nancy's family asked Brad to stay away? The memorials seemed to be set up by Nancy's family and Nancy's friends. I doubt Brad would have been welcome at EITHER and I have no doubt it fell to someone involved to tell Brad he was not welcome to attend. Since both Nancy's closest friends and Nancy's family have made no secret about stating they believe Brad to be guilty of murdering Nancy I cannot imagine them asking (or even allowing) Brad to attend any memorial they organized. And Brad attending could have ended in a horrid public confrontation or worse and I doubt THAT would have been something anyone wanted - especially Nancy's family with the girls in attendance.

I cannot see THIS as a "sign" of anything. We do not know the details and have no way of knowing if Brad stayed away by his own choice, or at the request of someone else. Other things are far more telling, IMO.

My Opinion

I agree. I'm highly suspicious of Brad myself. But, considering it was made clear right away that her family and friends suspected him, I think him not attending the memorial service speaks only to the fact that they did not want him there. Of course, he could have just showed up, though things (as you explained) could have easily gotten out of hand.

Overall, I definitely think it's one of those damned if you or damned if you don't things that comes up in the beginning of these types of investigations. People have said the same thing about Neil Entwistle, for example. But, really, would her family have wanted him there? It's the same situation.

No, but he owed it to Nancy the woman he claims to have loved, and wanted the marriage to work with.

Reread BC's affidavit 194 & 195. He spent the morning with the girls before the service on Saturday and told Bella what happened to her mom just before the service.

If BC was anything of a man and not a mouse, he would have sucked it up for those girls he claims he loves and gotten thru it with them. What is a parent for? To be there in time of need. HE WASN'T THERE when they needed him!:mad:

How HORRIBLE to tell you children mommy is dead then walk away from them.
It is absolutely disgusting IMO

While I agree that the timing may have been weird....Brad telling the girls just before the service and then not attending, I still think we may be assuming too much about why Brad didn't go.

As has been brought up before, there could be several reasons why he didn't attend. It seems strange to take as fact the idea that he chose not to go out of lack of respect/cowardliness, when we have no evidence of that.

i agree. I'm highly suspicious of brad myself. But, considering it was made clear right away that her family and friends suspected him, i think him not attending the memorial service speaks only to the fact that they did not want him there. Of course, he could have just showed up, though things (as you explained) could have easily gotten out of hand.

Overall, i definitely think it's one of those damned if you or damned if you don't things that comes up in the beginning of these types of investigations. People have said the same thing about neil entwistle, for example. But, really, would her family have wanted him there? It's the same situation.

Makes a lotta sense! :)

Make no mistake, [imho] they have at least one POI. If nothing else, as evidenced by the warrant of the workplace. I assert they don't bother to search one's office (nor get judge to issue a warrant for same) without being very interested in you, or something about you.

The key is they (presumably intentionally) haven't named a POI (as that requires them to divulge other pieces of information to the defense earlier than LE would prefer to). It may be frustrating to the public, and may appear as if there's little progress, but it doesn't mean that's reality.

It's semantics, and strategic: If LE thinks that publicly naming someone a POI will help them get to an arrest sooner (perhaps force someone to "slip up", get "nervous", or confess), then they'll name a POI/suspect.

If LE doesn't think naming a POI/suspect will help them get to an arrest sooner, then there's no incentive to name one. [ At least not in the short term, and even in the long term, it just becomes a PR problem ("LE's been working on this case for XX and they still don't have any leads/suspects!"), but the PR is still secondary to their desire to achieve justice (and rightly so IMO) ]

In this specific case, it seems fairly likely that a suspect/POI will be named/made-known at the same time they're being placed under arrest. Even then, they may not do it explicitly. [ Though, I'll also assert it can be inferred when being read your Miranda rights, that LE has a developed a profound interest in you :) ]

LE has POI(s), they just haven't (and likely) won't name them (does not imply a lack of progress [let's hope] :) ).

Red is not true.
I agree with your other comments though.

jumpstreet said:
he key is they (presumably intentionally) haven't named a POI (as that requires them to divulge other pieces of information to the defense earlier than LE would prefer to)

Red is not true.
I agree with your other comments though.

Thanks JTF - maybe I misunderstood this one. I thought I had read (here) that was the whole reason it had been stated that LE was careful to use the words "we haven't named a suspect/POI..." vs "we have no suspects/POIs".

[ Use of the latter had some implications I thought, and my recollection/understanding was it triggered something that might help the defense. Am I mis-remembering? ]

Thanks JTF - maybe I misunderstood this one. I thought I had read (here) that was the whole reason it had been stated that LE was careful to use the words "we haven't named a suspect/POI..." vs "we have no suspects/POIs".

[ Use of the latter had some implications I thought, and my recollection/understanding was it triggered something that might help the defense. Am I mis-remembering? ]

The implication of 'naming' a POI/suspects is the terms are considered prejudicial and inflammatory. The use of the terms can also effect the eventual defendants right to a fair trial by having the potential jury pool assume he is likely guilty during the investigation time-line.
Like you said, the cops have no incentive to 'name' a POI or Suspect.
Of course, that does not mean they don't have one.

The sealed search warrant order expires soon.
Unless the cops or DA asks the judge to reseal, we will see them Monday.

The implication of 'naming' a POI/suspects is the terms are considered prejudicial and inflammatory. The use of the terms can also effect the eventual defendants right to a fair trial by having the potential jury pool assume he is likely guilty during the investigation time-line.
Like you said, the cops have no incentive to 'name' a POI or Suspect.
Of course, that does not mean they don't have one.

JTF, you said this so well. I'm sharing your words with a friend who is not a WS member, but who is interested in this case. This is the main sticking point.

OK. The murdered woman on the Cary greenway was 4 mos. pregnant, 1995, Karen Boychuk. That's what I found. I'm going to research this stuff.

Cary isn't as innocent as it seems. We old timers remember the bad things.

If only they would hurry up and solve this murder of Nancy Cooper. It's has more twists and turns than the others.(Edited to correct the date).

And, Tharrington Smith was involved in that one, too.

Who was the school teacher strangled by her husband/boyfriend? Weren't they Canadian, too?

Found it: Heather Domenie/Ian Campbell

Maybe you and RC know something about Cary that I don't. I just have never seen another case like this. I am under the impression that BC can go and do whatever he likes since he has not been named an POI or suspect. That is the way I understand it. I know BC has already lawyered up and LE has issued search warrants pertaining to him but he has legal rights to do as he pleases. And LE, the Coroner's office still has released nothing. He can walk and force their hand.

Agree he is surely (technically) free to leave/travel (even though police may have respectfully requested he stay close to home). Even naming him a suspect/POI probably wouldn't (technically) restrict his ability to travel I assume (though any informal request from LE may be made with more insistence).

Regarding why he hasn't been named a POI/suspect, I guess I'll summarize my impressions to it being related to one (or more) of the following 3 things :
- Would be inflammatory/prejudicial... may effect eventual defendant's right to fair trial (per JTF - thanks for the clarification)...
- LE is not receiving overwhelming external pressure to name a suspect/POI in this case (public/media aren't is a panic thinking this is random crime) {the case is somewhat unique in that regard - for now, the public is relatively willing to accept on "face value", that it isn't a random crime }
- BC may very well not be a suspect/POI, and the police don't want to tip their hand to their real suspect/POI. [ Though, IMO, this one is somewhat counter to the warrant of the workplace, it still certainly could be true, per Theory B ]

Given the above, despite likely having at least one suspect/POI in mind, LE has no incentive to name a suspect/POI, and I'd be surprised if they do so. [ In fact, I'm somewhat surprised they do so in as many other cases as they do. Perhaps we're on the start of a trend towards less "naming" until arrest time, in general ]

The sealed search warrant order expires soon.
Unless the cops or DA asks the judge to reseal, we will see them Monday.

Do all 3 expire on the same day, or is this one just for the home (were they all sealed for "30 days from time they were submitted")?

If unsealed (unlikely, unless there's an arrest between now and then), what gets disclosed? (warrant, supporting affidavits, and inventory?)

Do all 3 expire on the same day, or is this one just for the home (were they all sealed for "30 days from time they were submitted")?

If unsealed (unlikely, unless there's an arrest between now and then), what gets disclosed? (warrant, supporting affidavits, and inventory?)

It sounds like the home and Cisco office.
Once they are unsealed, we can read the PC affidavits and inventory.
I would guess the DA will ask that they be resealed, as not much has changed since the court battle that denied the unsealing

I wonder if his status as a Canadian on a work visa has something to do with this? It's not your average "not named as a POI" POI. Perhaps due to his status, he's not free to come and go as he pleases?

With Brad having worked at Cisco in the US for as long as he has, and with them potentially covering the costs of some/all of his MBA, it's possible that he is working on getting his US citzenship. When you apply and go through the motions of getting citzenship, there is a period of time during the process(can be up to a year) that you can not return to Canada. He may be at this stage. Cisco has invested alot of money into him and he may be taking steps to remain in the US permanently. This may also be one of the reasons why the girls and a guardian need to come to him for visits as opposed to the less expensive route of him going to see them.

Might just be our local hometown gossip but it's my understanding that Terry (Brad's dad) has had to return to work at the college but that his mom has remained down south with him. Still trying to check with a friend who lives near them to see if she knows for sure.

With Brad having worked at Cisco in the US for as long as he has, and with them potentially covering the costs of some/all of his MBA, it's possible that he is working on getting his US citzenship. When you apply and go through the motions of getting citzenship, there is a period of time during the process(can be up to a year) that you can not return to Canada. He may be at this stage. Cisco has invested alot of money into him and he may be taking steps to remain in the US permanently. This may also be one of the reasons why the girls and a guardian need to come to him for visits as opposed to the less expensive route of him going to see them.

Might just be our local hometown gossip but it's my understanding that Terry (Brad's dad) has had to return to work at the college but that his mom has remained down south with him. Still trying to check with a friend who lives near them to see if she knows for sure.

I do think I read somewhere that he was working on getting permanent residency status.

Edited to add: It was #7 of BC's affidavit.

Ol' BC might be a permanent resident of NC if he is tried and that trial results in conviction.

Since I don't even play a lawyer on TV, please advise me: he'd be imprisoned in NC if found guilty, even though he's a Canadian citizen, correct? Suddenly I feel dumb. Very dumb.

Is there a concern about him going to Canada since he's a Canadian citizen? remember aren't we still awaiting extradition of Caesar Laurean who fled to Mexico after (allegedly) killing his his pregnant girlfriend? Didn't he specifically go there because a) he had family there and b) they won't extradite unless they have a guarantee of no death penalty? Hasn't it been said they can tie up the extradition for YEARS?

Now, I know that Canada is not the same as Mexico, but.... it's possible that he is restricted from traveling there and that's why he's visiting with the girls via webcam and visits when they are brought to NC.

Jeepers, I hope this case breaks soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members