Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure you can say exactly that Mt3K - have seen this done in other missing persons cases while searches are ongoing. LE has to make as much effort as possible to find a person reported missing while at the same time reveiwing data received/not received and making a judgement about the possibility of foul play. The lack of confirmed sightings of Nancy most likely triggered some definitive response.

RC,

I know that you have more experience in these matters than I do, but historically, I have never heard of divers being brought in unless there were indications that someone could be in the body of water.

Even when there is a highly suspected drowning, they usually drag first, then send in divers, which is just the reverse of what they should be doing! I am a SCUBA Diver, and dragging would stir up all kinds of muck, not to mention possibly screw up any evidence that might be visible, by the time they are finished with that, divers are working by feel, cause they could not see their hands in front of their masks with all the mud and slit being moved around.

I was at JJ today and met several of the sleuthers, this was the first I had heard about divers in the water at all, and IMO that was early, and not in a spot that I would have expected them to be looking, given her proclivities for running around Regency Park, which also has a fairly large body of water.

CyberPro

:Banane45:Would someone please remind me NOT to drink coffee after 3 PM!! ::poke: (In case you're wondering what I'm doing here):eek:nline:

The birthday party/memorial to "our Nancy" was a great success. I got the same feeling as Top & others about the Sheriff. He is passionate about his community regardless of what LE agency is handling a case. I believe he was there, RC, only to show support. He did mention that sometimes tidbits can be gleaned from these types of gatherings, but he wasn't asking questions and didn't appear to hang around to listen to our chat. I was so impressed with the time he took to explain LE's hands can be tied for legal reasons. He understands our frustrations in waiting for resolution.

Kudos to all who helped keep Nancy's memory alive on her birthday today (yesterday). As an ex-Edmontonian this case is close to my heart. Thank you all.

Does anyone have any link to show the purse was actually taken on Saturday? I really thought it was Saturday it was taken but can't locate where it was said. Monday is all I come up with. Monday, 3 days later? in the vehicle? This has me :waitasec:

Also for anyone who knows...is it normal for a missing person case to have divers in the lake the very next day, approx 12 hrs later, before the paths and trails are even searched?

I was re-reading the first thread earlier and there's a link to an article from the 14th that mentions the purse:

http://www.newsobserver.com:80/news/story/1140988.html

The paragraph says:Cary police said Monday that Brad Cooper was cooperating, answering questions and allowing them to search his house and cars. About 3:45 p.m. Monday, police searched the couple’s BMW sedan and BMW SUV. They also removed a Louis Vuitton purse from one vehicle.

(this was their prior to SW search)

There's also an interesting post (in the thread) about a search of/around the water on the 14th. I don't remember catching it before -- possibly because it was during the same time frame that Mom made her first post :eek:

The search info is in the first post on the page (post 231):
http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67337&page=11

FWIW, IMHO, I believe the purse being in the car as late as Monday the 14th, indicates it was part of the 'staging.'

I base that on the fact the area was under alert for car break ins. NO ONE would leave their purse in their car purposely.

JMHO
fran

RC,

I know that you have more experience in these matters than I do, but historically, I have never heard of divers being brought in unless there were indications that someone could be in the body of water.

Even when there is a highly suspected drowning, they usually drag first, then send in divers, which is just the reverse of what they should be doing! I am a SCUBA Diver, and dragging would stir up all kinds of muck, not to mention possibly screw up any evidence that might be visible, by the time they are finished with that, divers are working by feel, cause they could not see their hands in front of their masks with all the mud and slit being moved around.

I was at JJ today and met several of the sleuthers, this was the first I had heard about divers in the water at all, and IMO that was early, and not in a spot that I would have expected them to be looking, given her proclivities for running around Regency Park, which also has a fairly large body of water.

CyberPro

Perhaps you answered your own question. Possible they were not looking for a body but something.

Perhaps you answered your own question. Possible they were not looking for a body but something.

:eek::waitasec::clap: Good point, I had not thought of it that way before! Man, that puts a completely different spin on that! Wowzer!

CyberPro

That something being a weapon possibly? Something he beat her with? Or strangled her with? Yeah, a whole new spin indeed..

:eek::waitasec::clap: Good point, I had not thought of it that way before! Man, that puts a completely different spin on that! Wowzer!

CyberPro

Any idea of how deep that little lake is and how much surface area it covers ?

That something being a weapon possibly? Something he beat her with? Or strangled her with? Yeah, a whole new spin indeed..

I have no idea really. It is possible someone reported seeing someone on the lake dumping something - may have been totally unrelated. But LE would have been remiss if they did not check it. I have seen dive teams take advantage of such situations - not meaning that bad - excellent training and they will normally volunteer to do so for the experience.

WTVD stated this....

A search team went back and forth across the lake to see if they could find anything that will tell them where she is.

Also off MYNC.com

Since then, it's been a frantic search with police rescue divers
checking nearby lakes and dozens of volunteers covering miles of pathways.

I know on Monday afternoon the search went to Johnson Lake, and Lake Wheeler. MM told me this himself when I checked in to get another area to search.

WTVD stated this....

A search team went back and forth across the lake to see if they could find anything that will tell them where she is.

Can't be very deep then, and has good depth visibility, if it was a surface search team. Seems routine to me.

Also off MYNC.com

Since then, it's been a frantic search with police rescue divers
checking nearby lakes and dozens of volunteers covering miles of pathways.

I know on Monday afternoon the search went to Johnson Lake, and Lake Wheeler. MM told me this himself when I checked in to get another area to search.

These two lakes indicate, to me anyhow, an admission to a suspicion of foul play. Based on distance from the home and the plans Nancy had for the day - too far for a simple one hour run. Heider lives very close to Lake Johnston.

Can't be very deep then, and has good depth visibility, if it was a surface search team. Seems routine to me.

I do not know the depth...and what you consider deep. Different boats are on the lake, but motor boats not allowed. I consider it deep since there has been drownings there. I also know the lake was drained many years ago and it wasn't shallow in my terms.
There were divers out with the team so it wasn't only surface.

The thing BC is there is only access to the lake from a small area you can park and go on the dock, unless you park on the bridge and climb down the embankment All other docks are private in the back yards of homes.

Any idea of how deep that little lake is and how much surface area it covers ?
The lake is quite large by subdivision standards; but any part accessible by the general public is small...along Lochmere Dr. for maybe 1/10 of a mile and then the small park/dock area. All other areas are behind private homes or are inaccessible because of heavy woods...places that would take more time to walk through. I doubt there is current or tide to carry an item too far, so the actual search site would be relatively doable in an afternoon's time. Another thought: If they were looking for a body, it would be more reasonable to seach the lake with the jogging path around it; which neither I saw them doing, nor has any poster reported seeing. So looking for an article or weapon makes very good sense.

I do not know the depth...and what you consider deep. Different boats are on the lake, but motor boats not allowed. I consider it deep since there has been drownings there. I also know the lake was drained many years ago and it wasn't shallow in my terms.
There were divers out with the team so it wasn't only surface.

The thing BC is there is only access to the lake from a small area you can park and go on the dock, unless you park on the bridge and climb down the embankment All other docks are private in the back yards of homes.

People drown in bathtubs too. I just can't relate this look as anything other than doing what should have been done given the circumstances.

These two lakes indicate, to me anyhow, an admission to a suspicion of foul play. Based on distance from the home and the plans Nancy had for the day - too far for a simple one hour run. Heider lives very close to Lake Johnston.
I know the water search packed up early Monday afternoon and moved on. When I went back to MM for another area to search he said the search had moved on to those other 2 lake area's. Did he mean water search also? IDK I was looking for another foot search to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum