Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be helpful to a psychologist doing a thorough mental evaluation, so I'd expect they would watch at least some of the deposition, if not the entire thing. It's out there and available; no reason not to watch at least some of it.

I would think so as well. Brad's shrink asked for names and contact information of former girlfriends...:)

Where did the judge say she would decide if he committed the murder or not?

According to this article she said:

On Monday, Wake County District Court Judge Debra Sasser said, "I am not going to avoid the elephant in the room: Did Brad Cooper kill his wife?"

"That's what I have to determine in this custody case if no one is charged and convicted in Nancy Cooper's death before the custody hearing."

So, as I said before, she has stated that unless someone is charged and convicted before the custody hearing, she will determine whether he is guilty or not. It seems a bit of an incredible statement for a judge to make, but judges are by definition very thoughtful people. It seems unlikely that she didn't mean it when she said it.

According to http://www.newsobserver.com/2864/story/1237612.html she said:

So, as I said before, she has stated that unless someone is charged and convicted before the custody hearing, she will determine whether he is guilty or not. It seems a bit of an incredible statement for a judge to make, but judges are by definition very thoughtful people. It seems unlikely that she didn't mean it when she said it.

Civil judges preside over wrongful death suits when they are filed and must make the same determination of who is responsible based on a preponderance of the evidence. I don't see how this differs.

Civil judges preside over wrongful death suits when they are filed and must make the same determination of who is responsible based on a preponderance of the evidence. I don't see how this differs.

I don't know much about wrongful death suits, but I thought that it was typically a jury that makes the determination of who is responsible rather than a judge. I could be wrong though.

I don't know much about wrongful death suits, but I thought that it was typically a jury that makes the determination of who is responsible rather than a judge. I could be wrong though.

I am not familiar with NC statute so I can't really say. I'm still freaked out that issues of custody are public record in NC.

I believe BC about the garage more than Gary Beard. It wouldn't make sense for it not to have been cleaned prior to July 8th. Are people suggesting he cleaned it after killing her? That wouldn't make much sense given the timeline of events.

Sure it would... if it was always cluttered such that they couldnt park the car in there, then cleaning out out on the morning of the killing would be necessary in order to get the car in the garage to load her into it. I think the pest guy's statement is a BIG piece of information.

I am not familiar with NC statute so I can't really say. I'm still freaked out that issues of custody are public record in NC.
Agreed. I cannot see how the public availability of this information benefits anyone: the plaintiffs, the defendants, the children, or the public.

Does anyone know which side of the garage got cleaned out?

As far as we know, Nancy always parked her car on the left side of the driveway, correct?

He was clearly nervous during the deposition. I think a lot of his memory loss was genuinly attributed to that. (not all. Some forgetfulness did seem intentional) Calgary123 noted on the "did or didn't he" thread that Brad stated he was engaged to a woman named Jennifer Wilson. According to C123, that was not her name! With something so easily checked out, he must have been rattled by the inquisiton. THAT is something you don't typically forget unless you are under extreme stress or in late-stage dementia. JMO

I think the situation he is in qualifies as a extremely stressful situation. I mean he literally probably cannot have a bowel movement without someone finding a way to demonstrate that must mean he killed his wife, he doesn't love his kids, etc. I think even Mother Theresa would have appeared nervous in this setting, under so much public scrutiny.

I think the situation he is in qualifies as a extremely stressful situation. I mean he literally probably cannot have a bowel movement without someone finding a way to demonstrate that must mean he killed his wife, he doesn't love his kids, etc. I think even Mother Theresa would have appeared nervous in this setting, under so much public scrutiny.

Hi rwesafe!

Nice to see you back.

Have a look around the eyesforlies website that SG posted yesterday. It seems that there is some evidence that guilty and innocent people would respond to this situation in different ways, although both types of individuals would be in stressful situations.

I have no expertise in this area, but I look forward to seeing what analysts come up with. The examiner conducting the mental evaluation may also be using the deposition tapes and would likely have some knowledge of the visual cues and their meaning.

Two questions:

1. Was BC drinking Sprite at the deposition?

2. Does anyone know what he was wearing to go play tennis?

I've spent some extra time thinking about Brad using the wrong the name... he knows "Jennifer Wilson" much better than I, and making that kind of mistake is just so odd. He didn't even say that he wasn't sure if that was right.

My working theory is that he knows that particular ex-fiancee has some dirt that would probably negatively impact his psychological assessment, so he didn't give her name to his expert. Then he had to make sure nobody else followed up to contact her so he gave a false name at the deposition.

What Brad didn't know going into the deposition is that "Jennifer Wilson" had already been interviewed by law enforcement. I also suspect the Rentz's counsel is aware she exists and that Brad doesn't want her information to make it into his expert report.

I've spent some extra time thinking about Brad using the wrong the name... he knows "Jennifer Wilson" much better than I, and making that kind of mistake is just so odd. He didn't even say that he wasn't sure if that was right.

My working theory is that he knows that particular ex-fiancee has some dirt that would probably negatively impact his psychological assessment, so he didn't give her name to his expert. Then he had to make sure nobody else followed up to contact her so he gave a false name at the deposition.

What Brad didn't know going into the deposition is that "Jennifer Wilson" had already been interviewed by law enforcement. I also suspect the Rentz's counsel is aware she exists and that Brad doesn't want her information to make it into his expert report.

Ouch, already interviewed by LE. They have been busy. Good to know.

FYI

I posted links to other people who were at the deposition.

Photo thread #26

On the "i'm not convinced thread", post 28, RC suggested Brad may have misspoken the last name getting it mixed up with Brett Wilson whom Nancy met the morning after NC's & BC's first date (and whom she was presumably dating at the time). It just seems odd to me that Brad used the same last name as Brett's if he was trying to make up a name.

But your theory is very interesting, and you obviously have some connection to the "former" Brad. Anything else you can enlighten us about?

ETA: I guess I should ask: Is either the first or last name correct?

he knows "Jennifer Wilson" much better than I, and making that kind of mistake is just so odd. He didn't even say that he wasn't sure if that was right.

Interesting theory, Calgary. Do you know for a fact that "Jennifer" has been interviewed by LE? If yes, that is significant.

Something that bothers me about the cleaning.
I've been told by a wood floor person that water
is the worst friend of wood floors. So I don't really
understand the water/vinegar thing.

On the "i'm not convinced thread", post 28, RC suggested Brad may have misspoken the last name getting it mixed up with Brett Wilson whom Nancy met the morning after NC's & BC's first date (and whom she was presumably dating at the time). It just seems odd to me that Brad used the same last name as Brett's if he was trying to make up a name.

But your theory is very interesting, and you obviously have some connection to the "former" Brad. Anything else you can enlighten us about?

ETA: I guess I should ask: Is either the first or last name correct?

I just went back into my emails and I apologize to the board, but I overspoke. "Jennifer Wilson" was contacted by CNN and asked to do an interview. She declined after getting legal advice, but the CNN person was also liasing with LE trying to get information, and I know Jennifer's name was passed along, and that Jennifer said she would cooperate with police if asked... I don't actually know if LE followed up with her.

In terms of other things I can comment on, neighbours of some of the immediate family in Edmonton thought an arrest would happen shortly after the autopsy was released... that was just rumour so I didn't post anything here.

In one of my original posts I said that I thought it odd that Brad didn't have any close friends or lifelong friends. In his deposition he was asked about childhood friends, and he gave 2 names. One was Mike McKenzie, and the other was Scott Lamarsh. I know both of those fellows, knew them long before Brad knew them, and that he points to them as his closest friends before moving to NC is very telling.

Mike is a well-known guy in Medicine Hat, the kind of person who had lots of friends. He did not have anything resembling a close friendship with Brad. Brad admits that they've never actually talked in the last many years (I'd suggest they haven't spoken since Brad moved to Calgary from Medicine Hat). I should add I haven't spoken to Mike since high school.

As for Scott, they were drinking buddies at best. Scott wasn't invited nor did he attend Brad's quickie wedding in Calgary even though Scott was living there. Scott didn't know Brad in high school other than maybe by name. Scott graduated from Medicine Hat High School in 1989 and Brad graduated from Crescent Heights High School in 1991. Scott didn't hang with Brad whatsoever in High School. Scott was also a well-known guy, with lots of friends, but Brad wasn't one of them until both Scott and Brad lived in Calgary. I do speak with Scott even up to today, so I'll be sure to let him know about the deposition next time I run into him. Scott is in fact remarried, has been for several years, and it is no surprise to me that Brad didn't know that.

So that he counts these people as his only two 'childhood friends' is really odd. I think it speaks to his deeper personality and his inability (or non-desire) to have or make lasting friendships.

Edit: Jennifer is the correct name. Her last name starts with "W". Beyond that I'll leave her privacy intact. She is married but she uses her maiden name hyphenated with her husband's name.

Edit again: I think RKAB is not either Jennifer or Taylene, and she might be surprised she was also left off the list of girlfriends. Though it is possible RKAB is one of them.

Something that bothers me about the cleaning.
I've been told by a wood floor person that water
is the worst friend of wood floors. So I don't really
understand the water/vinegar thing.

My friends use vinegar and water ALL the time - always have!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper