Naomi Judd, of Grammy-winning duo The Judds, dies at 76

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Naomi Judd struggled with severe depression. It led her to advocate for others with mental health issues. (nbcnews.com)

Naomi Judd said she spent a lifetime battling severe, treatment-resistant depression. After The Judds' "Last Encore" tour ended in 2012, things got worse.

In the years before her death, Naomi Judd was candid about her battle with suicidal ideation, panic attacks and the ups and downs of her mental health struggles.

That fight eventually led her to advocate for others, offering words of solace and solidarity with those who also struggled with suicidal thoughts.

Judd died on Saturday at the age of 76. Daughters Wynonna and Ashley Judd said they had lost their mother to "the disease of mental illness."

“We are shattered. We are navigating profound grief and know that as we loved her, she was loved by her public. We are in unknown territory," Judd's daughters in a statement on Saturday.

Although in some instances Judd said she had struggled with her mental health for her entire life, she often cited the close of The Judds' "Last Encore" tour in 2012 as the time when things got particularly dark...

It's easy to see how all the excitement and acclaim she got while touring could help mask the inner pain going on and how when the touring ended, she still had to come home to herself.

I'm so very sorry to read all this. I think she was a very kindhearted woman who really tried to live her best life, but was always beset by childhood abuse and issues that were so very difficult to overcome.

It's easy to see how all the excitement and acclaim she got while touring could help mask the inner pain going on and how when the touring ended, she still had to come home to herself.

I'm so very sorry to read all this. I think she was a very kindhearted woman who really tried to live her best life, but was always beset by childhood abuse and issues that were so very difficult to overcome.
I visited her facebook page and she really enjoyed her philanthropy opportunities and enjoyed meeting new people. A very sweet soul. I think you are right that she did have to deal with being out of the spotlight, clearly she thrived in that.

Depression can be such a paralyzing void that often one has to be doing "better" to be able to take the steps they deem necessary to end this pain. I do not condone but I do understand. My thoughts and prayers are with everybody affected.

I appreciate that she had the courage to speak about her struggles.
I also appreciate her daughters being open about her death, it may help someone.
Suicide is a very hard to understand thing. Often it happens when it appears that things are going well.
I can’t imagine the pain she must have been in (mentally and/or physically) to think your loved ones would be better without you.
Prays for her husband and daughters to find peace.

It seems she didn’t think they would be better off without her but that she thought they would understand.

It was during her bout with her depression after the "Last Encore" tour that Judd's suicidal ideation became relentless and she convinced herself that her family would rationalize and understand her desire to die.

“It’s so beyond making sense but I thought, ‘Surely my family will know that I was in so much pain and I thought they would have wanted me to end that pain,’” Judd said, according to People Magazine.​

Naomi Judd struggled with severe depression. It led her to advocate for others with mental health issues.

I read that statement last night and it shook me.

I too appreciate her and now the family’s openness. So many times on WS the missing turn out to be suicides and the families are like no way, those who have so much to live for, have resources, loved ones, pets but still…

imo

Naomi Judd death: Daughters Wynonna, Ashley speak out at induction

Following brief remarks from her younger sister Ashley, Wynonna spoke for roughly four minutes.

"I didn't prepare anything tonight 'cause I knew that mom would probably talk the most," Wynonna said, before taking a beat to continue her speech. "I feel so blessed and it's a very strange dynamic to be this broken and this blessed … but though my heart is broken, I will continue to sing." :(

thats what I am thinking.....so sad
I know the family wants privacy but they really need to say what happened, imo. There are a lot of people with mental illness, not all of them are suicidal - she was. By just saying due to mental illness it sort of stigmatizes that, in my opinion. I'm sure someone will sell their story to the tabloids so it's a matter of time before details are leaked. The family could get out ahead of the sensationalism and I believe she would want her story to be told, it may help someone else. JMO

I know the family wants privacy but they really need to say what happened, imo. There are a lot of people with mental illness, not all of them are suicidal - she was. By just saying due to mental illness it sort of stigmatizes that, in my opinion. I'm sure someone will sell their story to the tabloids so it's a matter of time before details are leaked. The family could get out ahead of the sensationalism and I believe she would want her story to be told, it may help someone else. JMO

The family, I'm sure, need a moment to catch their breaths. This just happened on Saturday. Ashley Judd shared more than most by saying her moms death was due to mental illness. I thought her words were careful, but also open and honest. I'm not sure if the gory details of her death will benefit anyone. I imagine myself in their shoes and believe I would want to keep space for my own processing of what happened. My moms story to the world would have to wait. I would not feel inspired to rush myself by unethical folks who might leak information. IMO

Naomi Judd death: Daughters Wynonna, Ashley speak out at induction

Following brief remarks from her younger sister Ashley, Wynonna spoke for roughly four minutes.

"I didn't prepare anything tonight 'cause I knew that mom would probably talk the most," Wynonna said, before taking a beat to continue her speech. "I feel so blessed and it's a very strange dynamic to be this broken and this blessed … but though my heart is broken, I will continue to sing." :(

Also from your link:

“Wynonna said her mother Naomi Judd passed away at 2:20 PM on Saturday, and that she kissed her "on the forehead and walked away."

Wynonna shared that the last act she, sister Ashley and other family members did together before Naomi's passing was reciting Psalm 23. The crowd in attendance all recited the Psalm in unison with Judd to complete her speech”

I think they should elaborate since they have stated the above, simply because this just causes more curiosity. It’s hard to believe they just performed 21 days ago.

The family, I'm sure, need a moment to catch their breaths. This just happened on Saturday. Ashley Judd shared more than most by saying her moms death was due to mental illness. I thought her words were careful, but also open and honest. I'm not sure if the gory details of her death will benefit anyone. I imagine myself in their shoes and believe I would want to keep space for my own processing of what happened. My moms story to the world would have to wait. I would not feel inspired to rush myself by unethical folks who might leak information. IMO

I don't think anyone is asking for the "gory details of her death", I simply said if it was suicide (which has been now reported) why not say that. Of course they are processing what happened but they are not like us, they are celebrities and they have been out there Saturday and Sunday since it happened. The way we would react is very different.

I don't think anyone is asking for the "gory details of her death", I simply said if it was suicide (which has been now reported) why not say that. Of course they are processing what happened but they are not like us, they are celebrities and they have been out there Saturday and Sunday since it happened. The way we would react is very different.

“I kissed her forehead and walked away” (Wynonna).

Assisted suicide that she set up without anyones knowledge? Certainly if she informed them that she was going to take a bunch of pills I would think they would have intervened?

I’m so sad to read that Naomi took her own life but at the same time I can relate. In my opinion, when our brain is “broken” per se, it can hurt so much worse than a physical illness. We are often alone in our battle because others don’t seem to really understand like they would if say cancer was the reason we couldn’t leave the house…cancel plans last minute…avoid phone calls…and so on. The mind can be so torturous and all one wants is an escape. Sometimes suicide seems to be the only relief. Sad but true. I pray for her girls and hope they have some comfort in knowing that their mom’s pain is over.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSMEITH1
Back