Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The judge told Loughlin and Giannulli sharing the same lawyers constitutes a "potential" and "actual conflict of interest." The judge cautioned them that the only way to know you’re getting the best legal advice is if your attorneys have a duty of loyalty "to you and you alone." Despite the warning, the couple moved forward with a shared legal team, telling the judge they understand the risks of their "dual legal representation."

Lori Loughlin returns to court for college admissions scandal case

4cac35b0-c903-11e9-bfed-d3eeb4dea309

John Stamos admitted he’s struggling to understand Lori Loughlin’s alleged role.

“I gotta be careful. I want to wait until the trial happens, if it does, or whatever the result is, and then talk about it. … I’ll tell you one thing that has been strange is: Honestly I can’t figure it out. It doesn’t make sense.”

Stamos added that he “talked” to Loughlin “the morning everything hit,” but he still “can’t process it.” He added: “Whatever happened … I’m pretty sure that the punishment is not equal to the crime, if there was a crime.”

John Stamos Says Lori Loughlin's Legal Trouble 'Doesn't Make Sense'

Magistrate Judge Page Kelly wanted to know whether either of the duo had any prescription or illicit drug use, alcohol or psychological issues that could impair their respective ability to understand the risk they were taking sharing lawyers in such a high-stakes case, and the trial that clearly looks to be upcoming.

The next court date is an October 2 status conference

Lori Loughlin Fights To Go To Trial In College Bribery Scheme Case – Deadline

Another firm hired by Giannulli is also representing Davina Isackson, who was also indicted in the scandal and is now co-operating with the feds, and fellow co-defendant Peter Jan Sartorio. Lawyers for Boston’s Donnelly, Vonroy & Gelhaar assured Kelly that they have put up a “robust firewall” to ensure there is no overlap.

The federal magistrate did not deliver a ruling on that potential conflict, but Kelly did say in court Tuesday that she was “inclined” to approve Giannulli’s use of Donnelly, Vonroy & Gelhaar.

Felicity Huffman has to appear in the same Boston courthouse on September 13 for a sentencing hearing that will likely see her get less than four months of jail time, if any at all, under a plea deal worked out with prosecutors back in May.

The feds are also recommending to U.S. District Judge Indira Talwani that Huffman should have one year of supervised release and pay around $20,000 in fines. She was arrested for dropping $15,000 to Singer.

The Wake Forest women's volleyball coach named in a scheme has resigned. The school announced the resignation of William Ferguson. He says in a statement that "it's essential that I step aside" to allow the program to move forward while he focuses on the case and his family.

Wake Forest placed Ferguson on leave March 12 after his name surfaced in a sweeping college admissions scam.

Ferguson has pleaded not guilty. His attorney has said Ferguson is innocent and "does not belong in this indictment."

COLLEGE ADMISSIONS SCAM: NC women's volleyball coach charged in college admissions scam resigns

John Stamos admitted he’s struggling to understand Lori Loughlin’s alleged role.

“I gotta be careful. I want to wait until the trial happens, if it does, or whatever the result is, and then talk about it. … I’ll tell you one thing that has been strange is: Honestly I can’t figure it out. It doesn’t make sense.”

Stamos added that he “talked” to Loughlin “the morning everything hit,” but he still “can’t process it.” He added: “Whatever happened … I’m pretty sure that the punishment is not equal to the crime, if there was a crime.”

John Stamos Says Lori Loughlin's Legal Trouble 'Doesn't Make Sense'
This bugs me. Stamos is a nitwit if he can’t come to understand how fraud, theft of admission seats, & theft of scholarship funds might be a problem for the American public. Or how it could be construed as spitting in the faces of all the little people who watched your show & made your career successful. He’s an idiot who should shut up & sit down.

Felicity Huffman has to appear in the same Boston courthouse on September 13 for a sentencing hearing that will likely see her get less than four months of jail time, if any at all, under a plea deal worked out with prosecutors back in May.

The feds are also recommending to U.S. District Judge Indira Talwani that Huffman should have one year of supervised release and pay around $20,000 in fines. She was arrested for dropping $15,000 to Singer.

I actually appreciate & respect Huffman’s ownership of her selfish act of fraud & embarrassment to her kid. I hope she was/is sincere & I don’t feel duped later by her acting skills. Her remorse seemed real.

If it was, I personally would be fine with the light consequences suggested. BUT I think there should be a community service element to all this. Maybe they should have to “share their story” to bring awareness to the college admission process & the need for honesty & transparency. Help poverty high school guideance counselors reach more families. SOMETHING to right the imbalance they’ve created.

The judge told Loughlin and Giannulli sharing the same lawyers constitutes a "potential" and "actual conflict of interest." The judge cautioned them that the only way to know you’re getting the best legal advice is if your attorneys have a duty of loyalty "to you and you alone." Despite the warning, the couple moved forward with a shared legal team, telling the judge they understand the risks of their "dual legal representation."

Lori Loughlin returns to court for college admissions scandal case

4cac35b0-c903-11e9-bfed-d3eeb4dea309

I’m curious why they are so determined to share lawyers. What’s the hidden advantage? I wonder if they don’t trust each other not to throw each other under the bus and reach an individual plea agreement if they have separate attorneys. Can you weigh in @gitana1 ?

This bugs me. Stamos is a nitwit if he can’t come to understand how fraud, theft of admission seats, & theft of scholarship funds might be a problem for the American public. Or how it could be construed as spitting in the faces of all the little people who watched your show & made your career successful. He’s an idiot who should shut up & sit down.

I get the impression he doesn’t want to make things worse for Lori. I’m sure he does understand it but probably can’t believe she allegedly did it. John must have felt the media was forcing him to comment and he has tried to stay neutral.

I think Lori and her husband should get a massive fine of at least $500,000 each and at 12 months in jail.

It is going to be interesting what happens with Felicity Huffman sentencing. A $20,000 fine is ridiculous for someone who is a multimillionaire.

If it was me I would make them give % of all profits they made for life to a scholarship fund for underprivileged kids. I would also make the people found guilty do community service and when I say community service I don't mean staying in luxury hotels and giving prepared speeches. I mean out in the hot sun actually working on building schools and other projects and working until you can barely move and so tired you fall right to sleep when your butt hits the sofa.

:clap: a million times. Great Post.

I get the impression he doesn’t want to make things worse for Lori. I’m sure he does understand it but probably can’t believe she allegedly did it. John must have felt the media was forcing him to comment and he has tried to stay neutral.

I think Lori and her husband should get a massive fine of at least $500,000 each and at 12 months in jail.

It is going to be interesting what happens with Felicity Huffman sentencing. A $20,000 fine is ridiculous for someone who is a multimillionaire.
If LL & Mr. Fashion end up w 12 months, celebrities will continue to blatantly buy their kids seats out from under others who actually earned those spots. I say 12 YEARS minimum. Each. Plus massive fines commensurate to the half a mil they paid to steal those seats. JMO

As for Huffman’s 20K fine, it relates to her 15K fee to have that SAT score doctored up. The punishment has to relate to the crime, not the socioeconomic status. Also JMO.

If LL & Mr. Fashion end up w 12 months, celebrities will continue to blatantly buy their kids seats out from under others who actually earned those spots. I say 12 YEARS minimum. Each. Plus massive fines commensurate to the half a mil they paid to steal those seats. JMO

As for Huffman’s 20K fine, it relates to her 15K fee to have that SAT score doctored up. The punishment has to relate to the crime, not the socioeconomic status. Also JMO.

I doubt they will get twelve year sentences, but a four to five year sentence in a regular prison (not easy time on a “campus”) to represent the time it usually takes to get a degree...time they stole from two other students...seems reasonable and just. Plus massive fines. JMO

I respect your opinion and appreciate you sharing it.

In regard to Lori and her husband I feel 12 years in prison is over the top for a crime like this. It feels like 4 years in a minimum security prison and a million dollar fine at most case.

I just don’t feel a $20,000 fine is satisfactory for Huffman who owns $20 million dollars worth of real estate and possibly has significant savings. It doesn’t feel like much of a punishment to me it’s like going out and buying a Rolex to someone in her financial situation.

I wonder if Huffman's spouse, had anything to do with her immediate plea agreement. Apparently, he did not have anything to do with the college scam.

As for Lori Loughlin and her husband, I believe that their goal is to string this out forever, and Lori is obviously going to plead psychological problems. They probably don't trust each other.

The Loughlin/Giannulli couple are non-sensical to me. I can't tell if they are truly foolish, delusional, or think they really have a bead on what the rest of the world doesn't about the legal system. Who wouldn't listen to a judge's caution? Their lawyers should be telling them as well.

I wonder if Huffman's spouse, had anything to do with her immediate plea agreement. Apparently, he did not have anything to do with the college scam.

As for Lori Loughlin and her husband, I believe that their goal is to string this out forever, and Lori is obviously going to plead psychological problems. They probably don't trust each other.

I don’t know why Bill Macy wasn’t charged. The affidavit shows he had awareness. Maybe he didn’t do “enough.” Sorry, too tired to find the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper