GUILTY Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OT: Silly question but it has bugging me since the scandal broke and I heard about Loughlin's show "When Calls the Heart". I don't understand what that means LOL! Is it a version of when the heart calls?

Sugary Hallmark Channel show that airs on CBC in Canada. The Former Aunt Becky played Abigail (IIRC), a spunky, kind-hearted widow-*advertiser censored*-restauranteur-*advertiser censored*-town Mayor. The show's passionate fans are known as "Hearties," or were some years ago.

Can't recall the source of the title but the show is an adaptation of a series of Christian-themed historical romance novels set in a fictional Canadian town which, in the series, manages to be in the picturesque West (BC/Alberta) and simultaneously a shortish train ride from Hamilton, Ontario. There are mounties, miners, schoolteachers, implausibly perky entertainers and well-scrubbed urchins crying out to be taken in by warm-hearted townies, erstwhile daytime soap actors and a few Nellie Olsen-type antagonists. Conspicuously absent are any of the local Aboriginal communities who would have had longstanding claims to those lands, or the many European and Asian immigrant communities and workers who would have mined, navvied and farmed there.

Characters wear fetching versions of historical outfits with modern makeup and heavily shaped modern hair. Newtonian physics and time are suspended. It hardly ever rains, unless as pretext for a flood that will bring the town together. Wildlife is overwhelmingly cuddly. Love conquers all. Cast members disappear "down east" to be replaced by other similar cast members. Criminals look like criminals and swig from Olde West whiskey bottles. Extras abound. No one's hem gets muddy. Lengthy VO narrations summarize central ideas (patience, forgiveness, neighbourly kindness, There Is a Plan, etc,) helpfully for audiences drifting gently away with the theme tune. Pretty much everything, even poverty, train accidents, excessive drinking and the odd crop-destroying dust storm, is aesthetically pleasing.

Think Cedar Cove with mounties instead of ranch hands. Although there may also now be ranch-hands.

Disclaimer: I am not, I suspect, an ideal audience for this show. I mean no offence to any local Hearties or casual fans. MOO. IMHO. YMMV.

Last edited:
Todd and Diana Blake of Ross, California, accepted plea bargains in which they will admit paying intermediaries to fraudulently get their daughter admitted to the University of Southern California as a purported athletic recruit.

Diana Blake, 55, agreed to plead guilty to a single count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and honest services wire and mail fraud. Under the plea agreement, she is expected to be sentenced to six weeks of incarceration followed by two years of supervised release, 100 hours of community service and a fine of $125,000.

Todd Blake, 54, agreed to plead guilty to charges of conspiracy to commit wire and mail fraud and honest services wire and mail fraud, and one count of conspiracy to commit money laundering. Under the plea agreement, he is expected to be sentenced to four months of incarceration, followed by two years of supervised release, 100 hours of community service and a fine of $125,000.

The proposed sentences are subject to a judge’s approval. A court hearing date is yet to be determined.

California parents reach plea deal in college admissions scandal

Under their plea deals, Diane Blake has agreed to serve six weeks in prison, while Todd Blake has agreed to serve four months. The judge said he will decide whether to accept the deals after considering the pre-sentencing report, a document that contains background on defendants and helps guide sentencing decision.

The couple pleaded guilty to working with the admitted mastermind of the bribery scheme William “Rick” Singer to have their daughter admitted to USC as a star volleyball player with fake athletic credentials. Prosecutors say they paid $50,000 to USC Women’s Athletics and $200,000 to Singer’s sham charity.

North Bay Couple Pleads Guilty in College Bribery Scheme

Sugary Hallmark Channel show that airs on CBC in Canada. The Former Aunt Becky played Abigail (IIRC), a spunky, kind-hearted widow-*advertiser censored*-restauranteur-*advertiser censored*-town Mayor. The show's passionate fans are known as "Hearties," or were some years ago.

Can't recall the source of the title but the show is an adaptation of a series of Christian-themed historical romance novels set in a fictional Canadian town which, in the series, manages to be in the picturesque West (BC/Alberta) and simultaneously a shortish train ride from Hamilton, Ontario. There are mounties, miners, schoolteachers, implausibly perky entertainers and well-scrubbed urchins crying out to be taken in by warm-hearted townies, erstwhile daytime soap actors and a few Nellie Olsen-type antagonists. Conspicuously absent are any of the local Aboriginal communities who would have had longstanding claims to those lands, or the many European and Asian immigrant communities and workers who would have mined, navvied and farmed there.

Characters wear fetching versions of historical outfits with modern makeup and heavily shaped modern hair. Newtonian physics and time are suspended. It hardly ever rains, unless as pretext for a flood that will bring the town together. Wildlife is overwhelmingly cuddly. Love conquers all. Cast members disappear "down east" to be replaced by other similar cast members. Criminals look like criminals and swig from Olde West whiskey bottles. Extras abound. No one's hem gets muddy. Lengthy VO narrations summarize central ideas (patience, forgiveness, neighbourly kindness, There Is a Plan, etc,) helpfully for audiences drifting gently away with the theme tune. Pretty much everything, even poverty, train accidents, excessive drinking and the odd crop-destroying dust storm, is aesthetically pleasing.

Think Cedar Cove with mounties instead of ranch hands. Although there may also now be ranch-hands.

Disclaimer: I am not, I suspect, an ideal audience for this show. I mean no offence to any local Hearties or casual fans. MOO. IMHO. YMMV.
You should review TV professionally. This was superb and gave me a hearty laugh. :)

The son of a parent convicted in the college admissions scandal says he 'didn't care' where he went to school and his dad was 'way too invested'
July 22, 2020
a0c45e8de9c46e634a2ee6ddd3ad671f

• Matteo Sloane, the son of Devin Sloane, spoke to Wall Street Journal reporters Melissa Korn and Jennifer Levitz for their new book, "Unacceptable: Privilege, Deceit & the Making of the College Admissions Scandal."
  • Matteo Sloane's father was sentenced to four months in prison in September for his role in the college admissions scandal.
  • Devin Sloane paid $250,000 to have Matteo Sloane admitted into the University of Southern California as a water polo recruit.
  • Matteo Sloane told Korn and Levitz that he thinks his father was "too invested" in his future, and believes he would have figured things out on his own.
"I accepted the reality that my parents were way too invested," Matteo Sloane, who spent his childhood between Italy and Los Angeles, California, told Korn and Levitz. "In hindsight, that is why I didn't push back as much as I probably should have."

Matteo Sloane told Korn and Levitz that while he attended The Buckley School in Sherman Oaks, California, parents were too involved in their kids' lives, so much so that their children can't grow on their own.

"It's honestly like, kind of gross," he said.

The son of a parent convicted in the college admissions scandal says he 'didn't care' where he went to school and his dad was 'way too invested'
  • Matteo Sloane, who spent his childhood between Italy and Los Angeles, California, told Korn and Levitz. "In hindsight, that is why I didn't push back as much as I probably should have."
Matteo Sloane told Korn and Levitz that while he attended The Buckley School in Sherman Oaks, California, parents were too involved in their kids' lives, so much so that their children can't grow on their own.
@Cool Cats sbm Have not followed much lately, so have no basis for judging the ^ son, except his remarks above.
But wondering -- is this kid smarter than his parents? my2cts.

Anyone watch the American Greed episode on this that aired on 7/20?

CNBC’S “AMERICAN GREED: BIGGEST CONS – THE COLLEGE ADMISSIONS SCANDAL” PREMIERES MONDAY, JULY 20 AT 10PM ET/PT | NBCUniversal Media Village

CNBC’S “AMERICAN GREED: BIGGEST CONS – THE COLLEGE ADMISSIONS SCANDAL” PREMIERES MONDAY, JULY 20 AT 10PM ET/PT
FOR TV HIGHLIGHTS CONSIDERATION:

All programming subject to change.

About "American Greed: Biggest Cons”

The CNBC limited series American Greed: Biggest Cons investigates the latest developments in our most shocking cases of Greed. The series goes beyond the courtroom to reveal surprising updates. From new plots, to controversial plea bargains, to the prospect of dying behind prison walls. American Greed: Biggest Cons never stops following the money.

Monday, 07/20/20 at 10PM ET/PT: AMERICAN GREED: BIGGEST CONS (P) – THE COLLEGE ADMISSIONS SCANDAL

College admissions consultant Rick Singer awaits sentencing for his role as mastermind of the $25 million Varsity Blues scandal. While TV star Lori Loughlin and her fashion mogul husband Mossimo Giannulli, face prison after admitting they paid Singer to rig the system and buy their daughters admission into college.

Preview Links:

American Greed: Biggest Cons – The College Admissions Scandal - American Greed: Biggest Cons – The College Admissions Scandal - College admissions consultant Rick Singer awaits sentencing for his role as mastermind of the $25 million Varsity Blues scandal. While TV star Lori Loughlin and her fashion mogul husband Mossimo Giannulli face prison after admitting they paid Singer to rig the system and buy their daughters admission into college.

Anyone watch the American Greed episode on this that aired on 7/20?

CNBC’S “AMERICAN GREED: BIGGEST CONS – THE COLLEGE ADMISSIONS SCANDAL” PREMIERES MONDAY, JULY 20 AT 10PM ET/PT | NBCUniversal Media Village

CNBC’S “AMERICAN GREED: BIGGEST CONS – THE COLLEGE ADMISSIONS SCANDAL” PREMIERES MONDAY, JULY 20 AT 10PM ET/PT
FOR TV HIGHLIGHTS CONSIDERATION:

All programming subject to change.

About "American Greed: Biggest Cons”

The CNBC limited series American Greed: Biggest Cons investigates the latest developments in our most shocking cases of Greed. The series goes beyond the courtroom to reveal surprising updates. From new plots, to controversial plea bargains, to the prospect of dying behind prison walls. American Greed: Biggest Cons never stops following the money.

Monday, 07/20/20 at 10PM ET/PT: AMERICAN GREED: BIGGEST CONS (P) – THE COLLEGE ADMISSIONS SCANDAL

College admissions consultant Rick Singer awaits sentencing for his role as mastermind of the $25 million Varsity Blues scandal. While TV star Lori Loughlin and her fashion mogul husband Mossimo Giannulli, face prison after admitting they paid Singer to rig the system and buy their daughters admission into college.

Preview Links:

American Greed: Biggest Cons – The College Admissions Scandal - American Greed: Biggest Cons – The College Admissions Scandal - College admissions consultant Rick Singer awaits sentencing for his role as mastermind of the $25 million Varsity Blues scandal. While TV star Lori Loughlin and her fashion mogul husband Mossimo Giannulli face prison after admitting they paid Singer to rig the system and buy their daughters admission into college.

Thankx. Didn't know about it and I would like to see it. You probably know about this one:

The College Admissions Scandal (2019 TV Movie)

TV-14 | 1h 26min | Drama | TV Movie 12 October 2019

July 22, 2020
a0c45e8de9c46e634a2ee6ddd3ad671f

• Matteo Sloane, the son of Devin Sloane, spoke to Wall Street Journal reporters Melissa Korn and Jennifer Levitz for their new book, "Unacceptable: Privilege, Deceit & the Making of the College Admissions Scandal."
  • Matteo Sloane's father was sentenced to four months in prison in September for his role in the college admissions scandal.
  • Devin Sloane paid $250,000 to have Matteo Sloane admitted into the University of Southern California as a water polo recruit.
  • Matteo Sloane told Korn and Levitz that he thinks his father was "too invested" in his future, and believes he would have figured things out on his own.
"I accepted the reality that my parents were way too invested," Matteo Sloane, who spent his childhood between Italy and Los Angeles, California, told Korn and Levitz. "In hindsight, that is why I didn't push back as much as I probably should have."

You gotta feel for these kids (except the Loughlin/Giannulli girls ). How would it feel to have the world see your parents didn’t think you could get into a decent university without cheating and scamming. Matteo seems like a grounded and smart kid. Hope he does well.

July 22, 2020

You gotta feel for these kids (except the Loughlin/Giannulli girls ). How would it feel to have the world see your parents didn’t think you could get into a decent university without cheating and scamming. Matteo seems like a grounded and smart kid. Hope he does well.

According to court papers, the son was aware of the scheme, so I don't feel bad for him.

Prosecutors release photos LA dad used to scam USC

Sloane “enlisted his minor son in the scheme, taking pictures of him throwing a ball in the family swimming pool, clad in the newly acquired water-polo gear, pretending to be something he is not,” prosecutors argued in court papers accompanying the images.

They can put whatever "spin" they want on it. But the truth is that people don't sink millions of dollars into a house for "fun", and then sell it for another project. And lose 10 million dollars. Even the very rich.

The "Country Club" lifestyle they had, belonging to the exclusive Bel Air Country Club, with all of their "friends", is part of why I believe that they sold their house. They were kicked out of the club, for being felons. I think that they are feeling the social reality of this situation.
Lori Loughlin & Mossimo Giannulli Resign from Bel-Air Country Club

Lori Loughlin Has a 'Very Quiet Celebration' for Her 56th Birthday as She Awaits Sentencing

"Lori and Mossimo have spent time down the coast from LA. They like the privacy. Lori sees her daughters as much as she can. She celebrated her birthday with them," the source says. "Having them around really lifts her spirit. They still don't know what will happen at the sentencing in August. It's insanely stressful for them. They just want it over with."

The low-key family celebration comes almost a month before the couple's Aug. 21 sentencing.

Under the terms of the deal, which is still pending the judge’s approval, Loughlin agreed to serve two months in prison (though the coronavirus pandemic could affect that time), pay a $150,000 fine and do 100 hours of community service, while Mossimo agreed to serve five months, pay $250,000 and do 250 hours of community service. Both could also spend two years on supervised release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1000MoonsAgo