Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
More deserving kids without money didn't get in because some bought their way in. Sad!

What happens to the kids whose parents cheated the system do they get kicked out? It was said at the press conference that no students have been charged.

$500,000 !!!!!!!!

USC is certainly not worth half a million to get your stupid kids a name education.

Mail fraud & wire fraud are BIG LEAGUE charges

This is so absolutely lame

I doubt it's about the actual education... seems more like they were very busy buying appearances. How embarrassing. How sad for actual qualified students that missed out because of this. I have no respect at all for any of the parents involved in this.

Wow they are facing up to five years in jail. I can understand wanting to do everything you can to help your kids get ahead but that should not involve breaking the law. It will be interesting to see if Felicity gets any actual jail time I don’t know who the others are.

Actresses Lori Loughlin, Felicity Huffman, college coaches — including USC, UCLA — accused in admissions bribery scheme – Daily Bulletin

Hollywood actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin were charged along with at least 40 other people Tuesday in a scheme in which wealthy parents bribed college coaches and insiders at testing centers to help get their children into some of the most elite schools in the country

Other schools wrapped up in the controversy include Yale, Stanford, Wake Forest, Georgetown. The bribes, which occurred from 2011 through February 2019, ranged from a few thousand dollars to up to $6 million, according to officials. The charging documents, unsealed in Boston federal court, are more than 200 pages long.

The bribes allegedly came through an admissions consulting company in Newport Beach. Authorities said parents paid the founder of the Edge College & Career Network approximately $25 million to get their children into college.

Huffman paid $15,000 that she disguised as a charitable donation, so her daughter could partake in the college entrance cheating scam. Court papers said a cooperating witness met with Huffman and her husband, actor William H. Macy, at their Los Angeles home and explained the scam to them. The cooperator told investigators that Huffman and her spouse “agreed to the plan.”

Loughlin and her husband, fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, were accused of paying $500,000 in bribes so their two daughters would be designated as recruits for the USC crew team — even though they were not part of the team. That helped the pair get into USC

College cheating scandal: Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin among dozens charged in alleged scam - CNN
"Huffman, best known for her role on TV's "Desperate Housewives," is accused of paying $15,000 to an organization that then facilitated cheating for her daughter on the SATs, the indictment said. Huffman also discussed the scheme in a recorded phone call with a cooperating witness, the indictment said.
Much of the indictment revolves around William Rick Singer, the founder of a for-profit college counseling and preparation business known as "The Key."
As laid out in the indictment, Singer allegedly paid college coaches to claim that a prospective student should be accepted to college because the student was a recruit for their sports team. However, Singer and the coaches knew that the student was not a competitive player and that his or her athletic profile was fake, the indictment said.
In one case, Singer even worked with parents to take staged photos of their child engaged in particular sports. In another example, they used stock photos of a person playing a sport and then put the face of a student onto that of an athlete via Photoshop, prosecutors said.
Singer was paid roughly $25 million by parents to help their children get in to schools, the US attorney said."

Robert Zangrillo, a prominent Miami investor and real-estate developer, was charged today as part of a sweeping national college bribery case that has ensnared major college coaches and at least two Hollywood actresses.

Zangrillo illegally paid what amounted to a $50,000 bribe to get his daughter into the University of Southern California in 2017. Her application had initially been rejected.

Zangrillo was allegedly caught on tape telling an Edge employee, Mikaela Sanford, to fudge Zangrillo's daughter's high-school transcripts, erase some poor grades, and make it appear as if his daughter was an accomplished amateur rowing enthusiast. Zangrillo also asked Sanford to take his daughter's biology class for her. Sanford replied she was "happy to assist."

Zangrillo was also allegedly caught on tape arranging for a $200,000 so-called donation to the Edge's allegedly fraudulent charity, the Key Worldwide Foundation, as well as a $50,000 gift to the USC women's athletics department. The complaint includes transcripts of alleged phone conversations between Zangrillo and Sanford:

Major Miami Investor Charged for Paying Bribe to Get His Daughter Into USC as Part of National Scandal

U.S. Accuses Actresses, Others Of Fraud In Massive College Admissions Scandal
The following individuals were indicted for conspiracy to commit
racketeering. This is how they were identified in court documents:

Igor Dvorskiy: He worked as a "compensated standardized test administrator."

Gordon Ernst: Former head of men's and women's tennis at Georgetown University — left that role in January 2018.

William Ferguson: He "was employed as the women's volleyball coach at Wake Forest University."

Martin Fox: He was the "president of a private tennis academy and camp in Houston."

Donna Heinel: She "was employed as the senior associate athletic director at the University of Southern California."

Laura Janke: Former assistant coach of women's soccer at the University of Southern California — left role in January 2014.

Ali Khosroshahin: Former head coach of women's soccer at the University of Southern California — left that role in November 2013.

Steven Masera: Accountant and financial officer for the Edge College & Career Network and the Key Worldwide Foundation until Dec. 2017.

Jorge Salcedo: Salcedo "was employed as the head coach of men's soccer at the University of California at Los Angeles."

Mikaela Sanford: She was "employed in various capacities" with the Edge College & Career Network and the Key Worldwide Foundation.

Jovan Vavic: Vavic "was employed as the water polo coach at the University of Southern California."

Niki Williams: Williams worked as a "compensated standardized test administrator."

Court documents also name the following defendants as being charged with mail fraud:

Gregory Abbott

Marcia Abbott

Gamal Abdelaziz

Diane Blake

Todd Blake

Jane Buckingham

Gordon Caplan

I-Hsin Chen

Amy Colburn

Gregory Colburn

Robert Flaxman

Mossimo Giannulli

Elizabeth Henriquez

Manuel Henriquez

Douglas Hodge

Felicity Huffman

Agustin Huneeus, Jr.

Bruce Isackson

Davina Isackson

Michelle Janavs

Elisabeth Kimmel

Marjorie Klapper

Lori Loughlin

Toby MacFarlane

William McGlashan, Jr.

Marci Palatella

Peter Jan Sartorio

Stephen Semprevivo

Devin Sloane

John Wilson

Homayoun Zadeh

Robert Zangrillo

Before Olivia Jade, Loughlin's daughter, went off to college in 2018, she generated controversy by posting to her popular YouTube channel that she didn’t “really care about school” but wanted the “experience” of “partying.”

“I don’t know how much of school I’m gonna attend,” she told her nearly 2 million subscribers, according to Yahoo News.

“But I’m gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all. But I do want the experience of like game days, partying…I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.”

Her followers reacted by calling her “spoiled” and “ignorant” — and she posted an apology video a few days later.

Olivia Jade was later featured in a Vogue Teen article about the decor in her college digs.

https://pagesix.com/2019/03/12/lori...-student-status-after-alleged-bribery-scheme/

Olivia Jade — an aspiring social media star — recently sat down on the “Zach Sang Show” podcast to detail her college life, and why she even decided to attend.

During the interview, Olivia makes it clear she went “Mostly because my parents really wanted me to go,” adding that neither of her folks are college grads. She didn’t really get into the academic aspect too much, but said she enjoys vlogging around campus on YouTube to showcase her “college life.”

Ironically, she recently tweeted that YouTube will always be her greatest passion, and she’d rather be vlogging than “sitting in 6 hours of classes straight.”

Olivia Jade‏ @oliviajadee
YouTube will always be my #1 passion. I promise I’d way rather be filming 24/7 than sitting in 6 hours of classes straight but an education is also super important to me so thank u for ur patience and letting me figure out time management . Ily bbs
12:18 AM - Feb 6, 2019

Lori’s older daughter, Isabella Rose, also attends USC and Olivia said she was “following in her footsteps.”

___

Isabella Rose, also has a social media following with over 261,000 Instagram followers, but Isabella seems to be following in her mother’s footsteps as an actress. She appeared in the Freeform TV show “Alone Together” and has starred alongside Lori Loughlin in Hallmark’s “Homegrown Christmas” and “Every Christmas Has a Story.”

Though Lori supports her daughter’s desires to be an actress, she wanted Isabella to go to college first. “Well, she is in school and I’m glad. She just finished her first year of college and she really enjoys it and I think she’ll get her degree,” Loughlin told Salon in August. “And I just said to her, ‘Look, have some back up plan. Get a degree and something else. You can study theater [and] whatever you need to also at school.’”

https://theblast.com/lori-loughlin-daughter-olivia-jade-college-youtube/

Who Are Lori Loughlin’s Kids? Actress’ Daughters Already Have Careers In Hollywood

Last edited:
"These parents are a catalog of wealth and privilege," U.S. Attorney Andrew Lelling said in announcing the $25 million federal bribery case.

He called it the biggest college admissions scam ever prosecuted by the U.S. Justice Department.

"For every student admitted through fraud, an honest and genuinely talented student was rejected," Lelling said.

Lelling said the investigation is continuing and authorities believe other parents were involved. The schools themselves are not targets of the investigation, he said.

No students were charged. Authorities said in many cases the students were not aware of the fraud.

TV stars and coaches charged in nationwide college admissions cheating case

The networking these kids make in prestigious schools is worth far more than the bribes paid.

Future resumes with the names of the schools attended, as well.

I wonder if any of the kids made it through college

"This case is about the widening corruption of elite college admissions through the steady application of wealth, combined with fraud," said U.S. Attorney for Massachusetts Andrew Lelling.

"There can be no separate college admission for wealthy, and I will add there will not be a separate criminal justice system either."
(BBM)

^I really hope the above is true! This is absolutely despicable. Even worse, since these criminals are wealthy, they'll be able to afford attorneys that will get them off with a slap on the wrist and maybe a small fine. It makes me sick! I can only hope that for the celebrities, the bad publicity will smear their reputations enough so that they are no longer hired and their time in the spotlight turns to time into darkness. I hope the coaches are fired. Also, I think the students who were admitted under false pretenses need to be expelled immediately. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I am really disgusted! I knew this kind of thing happened but the massive extent of the scheme is still shocking and of course appalling.

TV actresses among 50 people charged in college exam cheating plot (article already linked above)

$500,000 !!!!!!!!

USC is certainly not worth half a million to get your stupid kids a name education.

Mail fraud & wire fraud are BIG LEAGUE charges

This is so absolutely lame

Sure it is. The connections made with classmates as well as the ability to put the name on a resume

The scope and audacity of this is mind-boggling. From the parents, to the coaches, and the key players at universities, it's unreal the attitude, desperation, and entitlement on display here. I don't know to what extent the students/kids were involved in the scam, so I'm going to reserve judgement on them yet. I'm guessing some maybe not at all, some very involved.

The saddest aspect of this are that those kids 1)took the spot of a more deserving student and 2)probably already have huge advantages (money, connections, previous education) to enable them to do whatever they wanted in life, presuming any real ambition, of course and 3)didn't get anything out of their college education other than a piece of paper, if they even made it that far. Oh and the parties, of course.

Disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member