Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
TV actresses among 50 people charged in college exam cheating plot

Authorities said the FBI investigation, code named Operation Varsity Blues, uncovered a network of wealthy parents who paid thousands of dollars to a California man who boosted their childrens' chances of gaining entrance into elite colleges, such as Yale and Stanford, by paying people to take tests for their children, bribing test administrators to allow it to happen, and bribing college coaches and administrators to identify the applicants as athletes.

"This case is about the widening corruption of elite college admissions through the steady application of wealth, combined with fraud," said U.S. Attorney for Massachusetts Andrew Lelling.

"There can be no separate college admission for wealthy, and I will add there will not be a separate criminal justice system either."

Loughlin, best known for her role in the sitcom "Full House," and Huffman, who starred in the ABC hit show "Desperate Housewives," were charged with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services fraud.

The FBI recorded phone calls involving the celebrities and a cooperating witness, according to the criminal complaint. Elizabeth Much, a representative for Loughlin, told NBC News she had no comment. A rep for Huffman did not immediately return requests for comment.
[...]
In all, 49 people were charged thus far, including 33 parents and nine college coaches.

"We believe everyone charged here today had a role in fostering a culture of corruption and greed that created an uneven playing field for students trying to get into these schools the right way through hard work, good grades and community service," said John Bonavolonta, FBI special agent in charge.

Prosecutors said the scheme was masterminded by William Rick Singer, the founder of a for-profit college preparation business based in Newport Beach, California.

Parents paid Singer between $15,000 and $75,000 per test for someone else to take the SAT or ACT exams in place of their college-aged sons or daughters, according to the court papers.

ETA: Years ago a college prep business solicited "additional fees" from coworker for promise of extended time for her diagnosed learning disabled son to take SAT/ACT exams. Good he thought to ask school's guidance counselor before falling victim to the "surcharge" scam. Above report is obviously fraud on a grand scale but I believe variations have long been around-- and not to be confused with "pay for play" or alumnae private donor memorandums.

Last edited:
Bloomberg - Celebrities, Coaches Accused In College Entrance

"An FBI informant said he told parents the alleged cheating and bribery amounted to a "side door" for wealthy parents at the most selective schools. The “front door” involved children getting in on their own merits, and the "back door" entailed making multi-million dollar donations, which was legal though far more expensive."

I don't know the circumstances for this person becoming an FBI informant, but BRAVO for exposing this disgusting scam.

Sophia Grace - Huffman/Macy's daughter:

Sophia Received a 1420 on Her SAT, a 400 Point Improvement on Her PSAT

The documents quote Huffman having multiple conversations with cooperating witnesses who were behind the alleged scheme. During those conversations, Huffman agrees to having her daughter’s SAT re-arranged and then having her answers corrected. A second cooperating witness told authorities that he flew from Tampa to Los Angeles to proctor the SAT examinations. That witness said he facilitated cheating “either by correcting the student’s answers after the test or by actively assisting the student during the exam.”

The documents also say that Huffman was in the advanced stage of doing the same thing with her younger daughter, but ultimately decided against the plan.

Sophia Grace, Felicity Huffman’s Daughter: 5 Fast Facts | Heavy.com

Huffman and Macy allegedly made a charitable contribution of $15,000 on behalf of Sophia to allow her to have twice the amount of time to take the SAT as other students while the test proctor agreed to secretly correct her answers after the test.

Who Are Felicity Huffman's Kids? Meet Her 2 Daughters Amid College Admission Scandal

The scope and audacity of this is mind-boggling. From the parents, to the coaches, and the key players at universities, it's unreal the attitude, desperation, and entitlement on display here. I don't know to what extent the students/kids were involved in the scam, so I'm going to reserve judgement on them yet. I'm guessing some maybe not at all, some very involved.

The saddest aspect of this are that those kids 1)took the spot of a more deserving student and 2)probably already have huge advantages (money, connections, previous education) to enable them to do whatever they wanted in life, presuming any real ambition, of course and 3)didn't get anything out of their college education other than a piece of paper, if they even made it that far. Oh and the parties, of course.

Disgusting.

You forgot the kids. They had to have known this was going on.

How embarassing [sic] for these kids that they can’t make it on their own and their rich helicopter parents have to buy an education for them.

And recruited as “athletes”. The other athletic students must really despise these rich-kid students.

Can’t wait to find out what foreign parents do to get their kids into US colleges & universities
(BBM)

I'm with you on the first two points, but the xenophobic & nasty part about foreign parents -- huh? Parents are parents, no matter where they are from. Also -- (and I acknowledge this is merely anecdotal) -- every foreign student I've ever known has had to work three times as hard to get into a US school. As a graduate of a famous US school with MANY foreign students, I can say from my own experience that every foreign student there was deserving of their spot and amazingly qualified.

One of the worst parts is that Lori Loughlin's kid wasn't even into going to school. She just wanted to be enrolled and not do the school thing and just go tailgate and "experience" the party life.

Celebrity kid called 'spoiled' and 'privileged brat' after saying she's going to college for 'game days' and 'partying'

Talk about entitlement and stupidity:

Judd Legum on Twitter

Judd Legum on Twitter - "Indictment against wealthy parents buying their kids into selective college is stunning. Some kids didn't know about their parents efforts. But Lori Loughlin's kids did. They pretended to row crew - even posed on ERG machines - to get into USC."

Gena Wolfson on Twitter

Side note: Some of the Aunt Becky memes out there are pretty creative and hilarious.

Sophia Grace - Huffman/Macy's daughter:
The documents quote Huffman having multiple conversations with cooperating witnesses who were behind the alleged scheme....A second cooperating witness told authorities that he flew from Tampa to Los Angeles to proctor the SAT examinations. That witness said he facilitated cheating “either by correcting the student’s answers after the test or by actively assisting the student during the exam.” (BBM)

Sophia Grace, Felicity Huffman’s Daughter: 5 Fast Facts | Heavy.com

The article later states "The indictment, which was filed in Boston, says that most of the most children did not know that their parents had been trying to get them into college using illegal means." However, in the case of Sophia Grace, it seems clear she certainly DID know and is not innocent.

The entitlement and desperation of these privileged people is astounding...

The article later states "The indictment, which was filed in Boston, says that most of the most children did not know that their parents had been trying to get them into college using illegal means." However, in the case of Sophia Grace, it seems clear she certainly DID know and is not innocent.

The entitlement and desperation of these privileged people is astounding...

She's getting skewered on her SM platforms :D

Actresses Lori Loughlin, Felicity Huffman, college coaches — including USC, UCLA — accused in admissions bribery scheme – Daily Bulletin

Hollywood actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin were charged along with at least 40 other people Tuesday in a scheme in which wealthy parents bribed college coaches and insiders at testing centers to help get their children into some of the most elite schools in the country

Other schools wrapped up in the controversy include Yale, Stanford, Wake Forest, Georgetown. The bribes, which occurred from 2011 through February 2019, ranged from a few thousand dollars to up to $6 million, according to officials. The charging documents, unsealed in Boston federal court, are more than 200 pages long.

The bribes allegedly came through an admissions consulting company in Newport Beach. Authorities said parents paid the founder of the Edge College & Career Network approximately $25 million to get their children into college.

Huffman paid $15,000 that she disguised as a charitable donation, so her daughter could partake in the college entrance cheating scam. Court papers said a cooperating witness met with Huffman and her husband, actor William H. Macy, at their Los Angeles home and explained the scam to them. The cooperator told investigators that Huffman and her spouse “agreed to the plan.”

Loughlin and her husband, fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, were accused of paying $500,000 in bribes so their two daughters would be designated as recruits for the USC crew team — even though they were not part of the team. That helped the pair get into USC

This puts a new spin on when the part an actor plays becomes reality! Nobody named here but I'm thinking of the Suits episode where character Michael Ross (Patrick Adams) took the bar exam for others.

Last edited:
This really chaps my hide:

TV actresses among 50 people charged in college exam cheating plot

“I don’t know how much of school I’m gonna attend,” she shared with her nearly 2 million subscribers, after explaining her extensive work schedule. “But I’m gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all. But I do want the experience of like game days, partying…I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.”
Celebrity kid called 'spoiled' and 'privileged brat' after saying she's going to college for 'game days' and 'partying'

ETA: "Rules of life" FH shared a couple days ago!!

Felicity Huffman‏Verified account @FelicityHuffman
Don’t just go through life, grow through life. What are you creating for yourself today?

D1FDzcbVsAEbojn.jpg

12:00 PM - 7 Mar 2019 pst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members