Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooooooh. Good.

Get the IRS involved. Payback time.
Yep - because the payments were made through the "consultant's" questionable charity foundation. So you have wealthy parents committing fraud to bribe their kids' way into elite schools.... and then writing it off on their taxes. o_O

As you said, good! The IRS doesn't play around, wealthy or not.

As a fan of Lori Loughlin, this is so disappointing. I'm guessing the Hallmark Channel will drop her like a hot potato. It sad and infuriating that these "parents" couldn't just encourage their kids to work hard and, you know, earn stuff. I hope more of these investigations are going on. I'm actually pleasantly surprised that investigators worked so hard on this.

Other defendants include William McGlashan, chief executive and founder of a private equity firm, and Jane Buckingham, chief executive of a boutique marketing firm in Los Angeles. Last June, Buckingham agreed to make a "donation" to Key Worldwide of $50,000, in exchange for someone taking a college entrance test on her son's behalf the following month.

The FBI secretly recorded Buckingham talking to one of the people arranging the test for her son. On the tape, Buckingham talks about the complicated logistics of cheating on the test and said, "I know this is craziness, I know it is. And then I need you to get him into USC, and then I need you to cure cancer and [make peace] in the Middle East."

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/wo...-admissions-fraud-scheme-20190313-p513p3.html

No, if I'm reading the article below correctly, that is still done--it's the "back door." This current scheme is the "side door"

College Admissions Scandal: Actresses, Business Leaders and Other Wealthy Parents Charged

During the phone call, Mr. Singer told Mr. Caplan that nearly 800 other families had used what he called “side doors” to get their children into college. “What we do is we help the wealthiest families in the U.S. get their kids into school,” Mr. Singer said. “They want guarantees, they want this thing done.”

“There is a front door which means you get in on your own,” Mr. Singer told Mr. Caplan. “The back door is through institutional advancement, which is 10 times as much money. And I’ve created this side door in.”
Oh I know. I just mean that doesn't level the playing field, but that kind of back door greasing the wheels doesn't typically end with indictments. I think that will always exist to some degree. I would have just thought that's enough for most high powered people to get their kid into some college or another. Or pay for them to prep with tutors all summer. This level of fraud for the "side door" I guess is nothing new, but it really takes it to a whole other sleazy level. If your kid really isn't that smart or hardworking that donating a building on their behalf isn't "enough" to get them in the door, maybe they should be considering other options besides elite colleges.

As a fan of Lori Loughlin, this is so disappointing. I'm guessing the Hallmark Channel will drop her like a hot potato. It sad and infuriating that these "parents" couldn't just encourage their kids to work hard and, you know, earn stuff. I hope more of these investigations are going on. I'm actually pleasantly surprised that investigators worked so hard on this.
Oh I know! And her daughters are very attractive girls. Just model. Go to cosmetology school. Do your vlogging career. Whatever. Her daughter even said she had no interest or intention to attend classes. Just wanted the game day tailgating experience, essentially. You know, it's quite possible to just show up and tailgate at a USC football game without spending $500,000 to fake a profile to be enrolled as a student. Don't cheat a deserving person out of a spot.

Oh I know. I just mean that doesn't level the playing field, but that kind of back door greasing the wheels doesn't typically end with indictments. I think that will always exist to some degree. I would have just thought that's enough for most high powered people to get their kid into some college or another. Or pay for them to prep with tutors all summer. This level of fraud for the "side door" I guess is nothing new, but it really takes it to a whole other sleazy level. If your kid really isn't that smart or hardworking that donating a building on their behalf isn't "enough" to get them in the door, maybe they should be considering other options besides elite colleges.

Yup. Stuff like this along with funding from Uncle Sugar is why college is so expensive.

I agree! They have all the resources in the world at their fingertips, but they didn't raise kids who can stand on their own two feet. That's not success.

And I don't mean that as a slam to anyone who didn't get into college right after high school. There is nothing wrong with taking time off, having to try more than once, or deciding not to attend at all. The shame is in the bribery and cheating. Shame on that!

I still don't even get the point of the bribery...I'm not convinced these so-called "elite" kids even wanted to study in college. What's the point of attending if not interested!?

This whole thing is full of WARPED priorities and values. So glad to be one of the "little people" who values honesty and hard work. Silly, little me.

jmo

Oh I know! And her daughters are very attractive girls. Just model. Go to cosmetology school. Do your vlogging career. Whatever. Her daughter even said she had no interest or intention to attend classes. Just wanted the game day tailgating experience, essentially. You know, it's quite possible to just show up and tailgate at a USC football game without spending $500,000 to fake a profile to be enrolled as a student. Don't cheat a deserving person out of a spot.
Exactly!

jmo

Updates here:

Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin Indicted in College Admissions Bribery Case

snip
12:47 PM PT -- Singer has now pled guilty to charges including racketeering conspiracy and obstruction of justice.

9:15 AM PT -- The U.S. Attorneys Office broke down the alleged scheme during a news conference ... and named William Rick Singer as the ringleader. They say he created a fake non-profit, charitable foundation which served as a front to launder the payments from parents.

As a mom of a swimmer, who was once gunning for Stanford, I find this disgusting! I am so angry!
I am mad that a bribed-degree from an "elite" school is for some reason considered more impressive than a degree from a state school that was earned honestly.

I hate cheating with a passion. Hate it. Hate it.

jmo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members