Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The students... kids HAD to know. They were taking individual SATs not in a group like their friends. They had fake profiles for sports, surely this was published somewhere at the school. At the very least the parents would have mentioned ...Hey, if you're ask you DO play soccer, tennis or whatever. The kids knew their grade status, they knew something was up.
JMHO

Life is tough. It’s better to learn how to be moral, self-reliant, educated, empathetic and kind.

As they say: Beauty fades. Dumb is forever
I totally agree. I just mean she has the looks and connections to make an honest, successful living for the time being without the college degree. Just "work" - go do your vlogs and endorsements. There's nothing even inherently wrong with that, even if we may judge it as vapid. It beats lying and cheating and being dishonest to get into a college. I can't imagine she was even going to any classes, taking tests, or turning in any papers. How much more was it gonna cost her parents to shell out so she could "pass" her classes, not fail out, and get an actual degree?
THIS, THIS, THIS

I get the feeling Laughlin’s daughter treated college like attending Coachella or Burning Man.
Yes, yes, yes - "treating it like Coachella" (or Fyre Festival, ha) sums it up brilliantly!!!!

Last edited:
I am actually totally OK with rich people giving large donations to a college in exchange for their kids to go there. As long as its not kept a secret, they have to legitimately graduate, and the money goes to fund the education of kids who actually deserve to be there.

Obviously the current case violates most or all of those conditions but only because there is no legitimate system where you can "donate" the money legally.

As a mom of a swimmer, who was once gunning for Stanford, I find this disgusting! I am so angry!
Thinking of your kid, and what they had to go through to be an elite athlete and also a top student to even THINK about trying to go to Stanford, and then to read about this young girl who was so flippant about going to a university when her parents cheated her way through... Makes me all the madder for young people like yours.

I wonder what will happen with these "students." I also wonder if an actual degree was part of the deal as well as just admission.
The child who has a vlog said she didn't plan to attend many classes because she will be traveling all over the world for work (I am assuming she means modeling), but will talk to the deans about that. How convenient to just talk to the deans and get out of attending classes you cheated your way to get into.

This plan puts the deans and professors in a very awkward position and compromises their integrity as well, which is yet another disrespectful way to treat the academic institution.

As an aside, one of my friend's daughter had a modeling career. She spent a couple of years modeling after high school and then, later, went to college and had enough money to pay for it all. And, she had experience (great experience, in fact!) and knew what she wanted to do with her college studies.

If you don't plan to actually attend classes, don't apply to college. Isn't that obvious?

jmo

Last edited:
Radio silence from the schools...
UT has issued a statement:
"Integrity in admissions is vital to the academic and ethical standards of our university. The University of Texas at Austin is cooperating with federal investigators and is concerned by the allegations raised, which run counter to the university’s values. Men’s Tennis Coach Michael Center was placed on leave as soon as we learned of the charges against him, which are being fully investigated. We are continuing to gather information and review our processes. Based on what we know at present, we believe this was an isolated incident in 2015 that involved one coach and no other university employees or officers."

UT coach, actresses charged in cheating scheme involving UT, others

I just mean she has the looks and connections to make an honest, successful living for the time being without the college degree. Just "work" - go do your vlogs and endorsements. There's nothing even inherently wrong with that, even if we may judge it as vapid. It beats lying and cheating and being dishonest to get into a college.

rsbm

I'm having the weirdest gut reaction to this whole scandal. I've never watched the K family's shows and just 'know' (about) them from stuff floating around the internet, but I never had a very high opinion of their lifestyle. They went up quite a few notches on my meter. At least they're doing what they want without holding up appearances with "look at the prestigious college my child/sister/me is in" and just do their thing (whether you're into it or not) and at least they're not cheating in this manner (as far as I know :D ). Anyway. MOO lol

Last edited:
Among others charged are William McGlashan Jr., a senior executive at TPG Capital; Gordon Caplan, co-chairman of international law firm Willkie Farr; Agustin Huneeus, head of the Huneeus vineyard in Napa Valley and Manuel Henriquez, chairman and CEO of Hercules Technology Growth Capital, whose stock price fell more than 9 percent Tuesday afternoon.

Former Pimco CEO Douglas Hodge charged in major college cheating scheme

One of Silicon Valley’s most prominent private equity investors — and one of the tech sector’s leading proponents of how to invest ethically and for social impact — has been charged in an explosive college admissions scandal that was revealed Tuesday, March 12.

Prosecutors charged Bill McGlashan, a founder and managing partner at TPG Growth — which has made landmark investments in companies like Uber and Airbnb — on fraud allegations for trying to engineer the admission of his son to the University of Southern California.

What is particularly damaging for TPG is that McGlashan has positioned himself as a leading voice in Silicon Valley for social responsibility.

One of Silicon Valley’s most prominent voices for ethical investing is implicated in a college admissions bribery scandal

What a situation! It’s thorny and dark, with grave implications for a lot of people (and the potential to spur a ton of legal bills). But because this is the world we live in—and because this particular scandal affects a very specific set of privileged people—it’s also exactly the sort of drama that will probably get the film and TV treatment soon.

How Will Hollywood Handle That Bonkers College Admissions Bribery Scandal?

UT has issued a statement:
"Integrity in admissions is vital to the academic and ethical standards of our university. The University of Texas at Austin is cooperating with federal investigators and is concerned by the allegations raised, which run counter to the university’s values. Men’s Tennis Coach Michael Center was placed on leave as soon as we learned of the charges against him, which are being fully investigated. We are continuing to gather information and review our processes. Based on what we know at present, we believe this was an isolated incident in 2015 that involved one coach and no other university employees or officers."

UT coach, actresses charged in cheating scheme involving UT, others
Wouldn't the scandal have to involve at least one person in the admissions office?

The children have to have known in most cases, right? Being put on a team for a sport you never played or suddenly seeing a therapist to get diagnosed with a learning disability and get extra time on tests.

I wonder if they were happy to get an unearned advantage or would have preferred to be given the opportunity to improve on their own?

Even if these children aren't good test takers, their wealth would have given them so many advantages in the college admissions process anyway, they have access to amazing people to write recommendations for them, money to be able to participate in things like volunteer tourism, expensive courses outside of school that would give them easy AP credit, opportunities and the financial ability to take internships etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo