Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get so p****ed off!!l Kids with 4.0 GPA's can't get into Wake Forest!! When DD graduated, her BF had GPA of 4.2, her uncle gave 20k to the WF library and she could NOT get in, BUT our HS star football player with a 2.0 and summer school was given a full scholarship. He had "assistance" with his studies and still got kicked out for grades after a year.
Money and Football talk...

This really chaps my hide:

TV actresses among 50 people charged in college exam cheating plot

“I don’t know how much of school I’m gonna attend,” she shared with her nearly 2 million subscribers, after explaining her extensive work schedule. “But I’m gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all. But I do want the experience of like game days, partying…I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.”
Celebrity kid called 'spoiled' and 'privileged brat' after saying she's going to college for 'game days' and 'partying'
Wow..just speechless! My son,who is on the autistic scale had to take a test just to get into USC grad school from our state. It was grueling for him to drive to another place and take this 4-5 hour test. It took everything for him to concentrate through that test. He also had to be interviewed and answer lengthy questioning. He did end up getting accepted into an elite program but had to eventually drop out because of his disabilities. USC was wonderful to him in so many ways. I cannot even imagine that people cheated/paid money for their kids to get in to other schools. My son had to fight his own mind to try to get accepted. What is this teaching these students about life??? MOO

Wow - the document/detailed indictments in this article you posted. Oy. Reading the actual conversations and emails is insane. I mean, none of this is anything new. But, this time they got caught.

Sophia Grace, Felicity Huffman’s Daughter: 5 Fast Facts | Heavy.com

Sophia Grace - Huffman/Macy's daughter:

Sophia Received a 1420 on Her SAT, a 400 Point Improvement on Her PSAT

The documents quote Huffman having multiple conversations with cooperating witnesses who were behind the alleged scheme. During those conversations, Huffman agrees to having her daughter’s SAT re-arranged and then having her answers corrected. A second cooperating witness told authorities that he flew from Tampa to Los Angeles to proctor the SAT examinations. That witness said he facilitated cheating “either by correcting the student’s answers after the test or by actively assisting the student during the exam.”

The documents also say that Huffman was in the advanced stage of doing the same thing with her younger daughter, but ultimately decided against the plan.

Sophia Grace, Felicity Huffman’s Daughter: 5 Fast Facts | Heavy.com

Huffman and Macy allegedly made a charitable contribution of $15,000 on behalf of Sophia to allow her to have twice the amount of time to take the SAT as other students while the test proctor agreed to secretly correct her answers after the test.

Who Are Felicity Huffman's Kids? Meet Her 2 Daughters Amid College Admission Scandal

Wow..just speechless! My son,who is on the autistic scale had to take a test just to get into USC grad school from our state. It was grueling for him to drive to another place and take this 4-5 hour test. It took everything for him to concentrate through that test. He also had to be interviewed and answer lengthy questioning. He did end up getting accepted into an elite program but had to eventually drop out because of his disabilities. USC was wonderful to him in so many ways. I cannot even imagine that people cheated/paid money for their kids to get in to other schools. My son had to fight his own mind to try to get accepted. What is this teaching these students about life??? MOO

It's truly unjust.

People like you son who work hard and try hard, they should be the role models and the people celebrated in our culture. Instead, vapid, ungrateful creatures like this young woman are worshipped.

I'm disgusted at thinking of the hard working, intelligent young people that didn't get a spot due to the corruption and privilege and wealth and fraud that got these undeserving children of the rich in instead.

It seems they have barely scratched the surface. Mr. Singer said that nearly 800 families used the "side door".

College Admissions Scandal: Actresses, Business Leaders and Other Wealthy Parents Charged

From a wire tapped phone call -

During the phone call, Mr. Singer told Mr. Caplan that nearly 800 other families had used what he called “side doors” to get their children into college. “What we do is we help the wealthiest families in the U.S. get their kids into school,” Mr. Singer said. “They want guarantees, they want this thing done.”

“There is a front door which means you get in on your own,” Mr. Singer told Mr. Caplan. “The back door is through institutional advancement, which is 10 times as much money. And I’ve created this side door in.”

Loughlin and Giannulli emailed Singer in 2016 about their daughters college prospects, stating that they wanted to do the necessary work to see that the girls got into USC as opposed to ASU.

Emails obtained by investigators revealed that it was soon decided that bribes would be paid to have the girls recruited as crew coxswains.

A short time after that, photos were taken of older daughter Isabella on an ergometer.

Dr. Donna Heinel, the senior associate athletic director at USC, presented Isabella as a potential athletic recruit a month later and she was approved for conditional admission.

It was then asked that a check be sent to Heinle for $50,000 from Giannulli, who a short time later asked if he could mention the story to the athletic director at USC when the two men were at Augusta, likely playing at the famed golf club. Singer stated that this was not a good idea because when he discussed the possibility of Isabella's admission with him a year ago he thought the family 'would be good for a million plus.' Giannulli responded with a "HAH!!"

Isabella received her admission letter the following March, which was followed by another note requesting a donation of $200,000 to Key Worldwide Foundation. After the amount was wired to the organization a note was returned that stated no good or services had been exchanged for the money, which according to the documents is false.

This same exact process was then repeated with the young daughter, Olivia.

Problems arose however when Olivia's guidance counselor became curious as to how she managed to receive admission based on her involvement in crew since she did not row.

At the same time, Loughlin complained that her daughter was having difficulty filling out her other college applications, prompting Singer to ask an employee to take care of that task.

This was done so as not to draw attention to the fact that it was already confirmed that she had received conditional admission to the school.

Then, at some point, there was a very heated and public altercation between Giannulli and the counselor, which elicited an email from Dr Heinel asking that this not happen in the future so as to avoid detection.

This all began to fall apart in October 2018 when the IRS audited Key Worldwide and began to look into donations made by parents whose children were then admitted to USC.

The two were told by Singer to say they had given the money to help 'underserved kids.'

10895584-6799945-image-a-36_1552416641121.jpg

10896600-6799945-image-a-38_1552416753772.jpg

10896602-6799945-image-a-37_1552416748375.jpg

10895652-6799945-image-a-35_1552416634919.jpg

Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman implicated in massive college entrance exam cheating scandal | Daily Mail Online

USC, UCLA Athletic Officials Among 50 Charged In Alleged College Admissions Bribery Scheme

Last edited:
So apparently it's not enough to just build and donate and name campus buildings after yourself anymore?? I mean, these people had crazy resources. I can't believe they resorted to this level of fraud and deceit and fake test scores and SAT taker impersonators and photo shopping fake athletic profiles. Well I can believe it, but it's so pathetic and low brow. And so very wrong to all the deserving young adults who would be willing to make all kinds of (legal) sacrifices just to go to college. I'm glad they are public shaming these families and I hope they prosecute them fully.

So apparently it's not enough to just build and donate and name campus buildings after yourself anymore?? I mean, these people had crazy resources. I can't believe they resorted to this level of fraud and deceit and fake test scores and SAT taker impersonators and photo shopping fake athletic profiles. Well I can believe it, but it's so pathetic and low brow. And so very wrong to all the deserving young adults who would be willing to make all kinds of (legal) sacrifices just to go to college. I'm glad they are public shaming these families and I hope they prosecute them fully.

No, if I'm reading the article below correctly, that is still done--it's the "back door." This current scheme is the "side door"

College Admissions Scandal: Actresses, Business Leaders and Other Wealthy Parents Charged

During the phone call, Mr. Singer told Mr. Caplan that nearly 800 other families had used what he called “side doors” to get their children into college. “What we do is we help the wealthiest families in the U.S. get their kids into school,” Mr. Singer said. “They want guarantees, they want this thing done.”

“There is a front door which means you get in on your own,” Mr. Singer told Mr. Caplan. “The back door is through institutional advancement, which is 10 times as much money. And I’ve created this side door in.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtKnee