Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m guessing there was a lot of haggling going on. Wonder if there was a menu? For $250K we bribe a coach and get your kid in on an athletic admission. I imagine the school they wanted to get into played a role as well. Would the sailing team at Stanford cost more than the tennis team at UT? If/when they release all the details may be interesting to plot cost versus admission at each school and how many people needed to be bribed.
Edited for spelling, never been a strong suit.

I’m guessing there was a lot of haggling going on. Wonder if there was a menu? For $250K we bribe a coach and get your kid in on an athletic admission. I imagine the school they wanted to get into played a role as well. Would the sailing team at Stanford cost more than the tennis team at UT? If/when they release all the details may be interesting to plot cost versus admission at each school and how many people needed to be bribed.
And also, perhaps how much net worth you were perceived to have. There's a quote in the indictment:

202. On or about November 1, 2016, GIANNULLI replied, “I told biz mgr to Fed Ex today.” GIANNULLI also asked CW-1 whether it was permissible to discuss his daughter’s admission with the then-USC Athletic Director, with whom he was acquainted. GIANNULLI wrote: “BTW, headed to Augusta in 2 weeks with [the USC Athletic Director]. I was planning on saying nothing? Agree or okay to mention anything?” CW-1 replied: “Best to keep [the USC Athletic Director] out of it. When I met with him a year ago about [your daughter] he felt you were good for a million plus.” GIANNULLI responded, “HAH!!”

And also, perhaps how much net worth you were perceived to have. There's a quote in the indictment:

202. On or about November 1, 2016, GIANNULLI replied, “I told biz mgr to Fed Ex today.” GIANNULLI also asked CW-1 whether it was permissible to discuss his daughter’s admission with the then-USC Athletic Director, with whom he was acquainted. GIANNULLI wrote: “BTW, headed to Augusta in 2 weeks with [the USC Athletic Director]. I was planning on saying nothing? Agree or okay to mention anything?” CW-1 replied: “Best to keep [the USC Athletic Director] out of it. When I met with him a year ago about [your daughter] he felt you were good for a million plus.” GIANNULLI responded, “HAH!!”
The scientist in me is itching for a trend analysis..

It does strike me odd about the athletic director comment. Was the athletic director really in the dark and CW-1 was pretending that everyone knew about it and it was all commonplace? Or was the athletic director in on it? I imagine USC is going over him/her with a fine tooth comb and nitrile glove.

The institutions did not receive the bribes.

Unless this article in People is wrong, I was wrong thinking the school(s) were not directly profiting. At least USC in this case. Tip of the Iceberg?

Then, Heinel allegedly instructed Sloane to send a check for $50,000 to USC and pay $200,000 to The Key Worldwide Foundation, the school’s college prep foundation — which is 501c3 organization exempt from paying federal income tax, according to the documents. Laura Janke, who is listed as USC’s women’s soccer assistant coach, was allegedly instructed to create an athlete profile for Sloane’s son based on information Sloane gave her.

Parents Photoshopped Teens Into Water Polo Pictures and Paid More Than $500,000 in 'Bribes' to USC

Unless this article in People is wrong, I was wrong thinking the school(s) were not directly profiting. At least USC in this case. Tip of the Iceberg?

Then, Heinel allegedly instructed Sloane to send a check for $50,000 to USC and pay $200,000 to The Key Worldwide Foundation, the school’s college prep foundation — which is 501c3 organization exempt from paying federal income tax, according to the documents. Laura Janke, who is listed as USC’s women’s soccer assistant coach, was allegedly instructed to create an athlete profile for Sloane’s son based on information Sloane gave her.

Parents Photoshopped Teens Into Water Polo Pictures and Paid More Than $500,000 in 'Bribes' to USC

And the plot thickens. Wonder which schools will be complicit and which were in dark.

BBM

Oh no. Are we "like counting" on this thread?

Nope! When I said "from reading here and there", I meant "comment sections on Newsweek, Yahoo, CNN, etc."; and whichever site it was, does the thumbs up/down below people's comments, and said "18" next to the thumbs up; so I didn't have to "count" anything.

Everything is laid out in the document - dollar amounts, schools, sports - for each family.

Nationwide College Cheating Scam Complaint | University And College Admission | Test (Assessment)

My fault, I was under the impression that some of these people worked in admissions, varsity coaches, athletic departments etc and some were in the standardized testing industry...my apologies
The admissions people were not involved and the schools themselves did not receive bribes.

The families paid a conman. The conman in turn paid people to change test scores so the student scored high, and the conman paid people in athletic departments to select the student as an athlete (even though the students didn't even play the sport!). He called sports the "side door" into admissions and that was his gig, repeated over and over.

jmo

Edited to add: See posts about USC...might have received bribe?

Last edited:
Nope! When I said "from reading here and there", I meant "comment sections on Newsweek, Yahoo, CNN, etc."; and whichever site it was, does the thumbs up/down below people's comments, and said "18" next to the thumbs up; so I didn't have to "count" anything.
Oh. Confusing to talk about other sites on WS.

justmyopinion

Lori Loughlin’s daughters drop out of USC after admissions scandal

https://pagesix.com/2019/03/14/lori...230.313534612.1552092333-383419253.1550162351

Sounds like they wanted to beat USC to it. Perhaps looking like somewhat remorseful. And of course not because they got caught. Yeah right...

"The son of Beverly Hills marketing CEO Jane Buckingham, whose mom allegedly took part in the nationwide college cheating scandal, apologized, saying he’s upset he was 'unknowingly involved' in the scheme."

https://nypost.com/2019/03/14/son-apologizes-for-moms-alleged-role-in-college-admissions-scandal/

Isn't he one of the ones who had to submit a hand writing sample...

The last family in the document is hard to read - he's a professor of dentistry and had to pay the bribe in installments. Apparently he didn't have an easy $100,000, and it looks like his daughter was suspicious and uncomfortable with what was happening....I wish he had backed out!

Not that I feel sorry for any of them. It's so clearly WRONG - these people did not use donations to schools and/or influence to get a spot from their kids - it's clearly fraud, cheating, lying, deceit.

jmo

Nationwide College Cheating Scam Complaint | University And College Admission | Test (Assessment)

Lori Loughlin Leaving ‘Fuller House’ After Arrest, Won’t Be In Season 5 – Hollywood Life

While this new development isn’t a total surprise given the fact that Lori was also dropped by Hallmark Channel earlier this afternoon, her colleagues are surprised to hear she won’t return, a source close to production tells HollywoodLife EXCLUSIVELY. “The cast and crew of Fuller House are all in shock over what’s going on with Lori,” says our show insider. “No one can even believe what’s happening right now. Lori is so straight and by the books and kind and everyone’s having trouble wrapping their heads around this entire thing. She’s so close with her daughters and is such a family person and a work horse. Nobody wanted to see her go. She was such an integral part of the show.”

Sounds like they wanted to beat USC to it. Perhaps looking like somewhat remorseful. And of course not because they got caught. Yeah right...

Isn't he one of the ones who had to submit a hand writing sample...

And did he think taking the “test” alone, as I read he did, was an option available to all?

I would be inclined to file a suit if I had the scores, the “full” resume etc and did not get in due to the numbers game...knowing now for certain of the likely level of fraud. I guess none of the wealthy parents cared much about those applicants with real scores.

The last family in the document is hard to read - he's a professor of dentistry and had to pay the bribe in installments. Apparently he didn't have an easy $100,000, and it looks like his daughter was suspicious and uncomfortable with what was happening....I wish he had backed out!

Not that I feel sorry for any of them. It's so clearly WRONG - these people did not use donations to schools and/or influence to get a spot from their kids - it's clearly fraud, cheating, lying, deceit.
jmo

Whoa.... the dentistry professor story gets worse.

HE had a 3+ decade career at USC!! From student to lab director to chair of the periodontology department.

You can't make this stuff up....

USC’s central role in college admissions scandal brings anger and dismay

looks like the fashion star daughter has lost her endorsements for her youtube channel as well, about 5 companies pulled all of her merch and products

bet she isn't very happy with mummy and daddy, that was her dream job being a youtube star with her own products

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties