Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The scientist in me is itching for a trend analysis..

It does strike me odd about the athletic director comment. Was the athletic director really in the dark and CW-1 was pretending that everyone knew about it and it was all commonplace? Or was the athletic director in on it? I imagine USC is going over him/her with a fine tooth comb and nitrile glove.

I think the AD knew all about it, but wanted more money that was paid.

In any good con game, you take what the mark is willing to pay. Loughlin was, in the parlance, a “whale”.

Maybe the operators felt like Huffman wouldn’t pay more so you take what you can get and move on.

Perhaps Huffman was more reluctant to play the game.

Lori Loughlin Leaving ‘Fuller House’ After Arrest, Won’t Be In Season 5 – Hollywood Life

While this new development isn’t a total surprise given the fact that Lori was also dropped by Hallmark Channel earlier this afternoon, her colleagues are surprised to hear she won’t return, a source close to production tells HollywoodLife EXCLUSIVELY. “The cast and crew of Fuller House are all in shock over what’s going on with Lori,” says our show insider. “No one can even believe what’s happening right now. Lori is so straight and by the books and kind and everyone’s having trouble wrapping their heads around this entire thing. She’s so close with her daughters and is such a family person and a work horse. Nobody wanted to see her go. She was such an integral part of the show.”

And Roseanne Bar was an integral part of her show until the tweet which caused her being let go. Why is it the entertainment industry took longer to let these cheating charged criminals go, than it took to let Roseanne go?

The value of an education from the schools involved are likely to be permanently tarnished. Everyone will now wonder if admittance was bought or earned.

I am SO glad my high honors child has no interest in any of these schools. He'll attend a school where there is no question as to the merit of his education.

We got a graduate!

"KIMMEL’s daughter matriculated at Georgetown in the fall of 2013 and graduated in or about May 2017."

She got in as a fake tennis player.

Nationwide College Cheating Scam Complaint | University And College Admission | Test (Assessment)

Pretty sure they just saw this post, saw 'Kimmel', and went to the most well-known Kimmel in their minds. Not sure why this is becoming such a big deal?

The post is about Elisabeth Kimmel however (@Teche ). Info about her indictment can be found starting on page 143 of the link provided by Inthedetails in the quote.

And this little tidbit from the article:

"Defendant Mossimo Giannulli, a fashion designer married to Loughlin, traveled to Augusta, Ga., home of the Masters golf tournament, with USC’s athletic director, according to the affidavit. It is unclear whether he was speaking of the current athletic director, Lynn Swann, or his predecessor, Pat Haden."

Loughlin and Gianulli sure worked hard at this fraud scheme. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them goes to prison for this

IMO, Lori won’t come back, but slowly Felicity will.
Lori plays a goody two shoes, and Felicity plays more realistic characters. Also, Felicity isn’t arrogant, IMO.
Remember Martha Stewart who did her time honorably.
They also spent 15K whereas the Loughlin/Mossimos spent half a million. Wonder if that makes a difference in their futures.

And Roseanne Bar was an integral part of her show until the tweet which caused her being let go. Why is it the entertainment industry took longer to let these cheating charged criminals go, than it took to let Roseanne go?

The value of an education from the schools involved are likely to be permanently tarnished. Everyone will now wonder if admittance was bought or earned.

I am SO glad my high honors child has no interest in any of these schools. He'll attend a school where there is no question as to the merit of his education.
Cubby, I get what you’re saying, but I think what’s really driving the anger here is that it’s not just Ivy League schools involved. My child is also high honors and has no intention of going to one of those Ivy League schools. But there are state schools in this scandal. UT Austin is a public research university—a very good school, highly selective and very affordable for those who qualify to get in. At least it’s supposed to be affordable, but bribery in the admission process affects all of us.

If you're one of these wealthy, or wealthy and famous parents or couples, what is your defense? What's a defense attorney going to do to convince a courtroom that this was all some big misunderstanding? Singer deciding to cooperate is a very big story. They had him dead to rights and he cracked like an egg. Without that, it would be much harder to make a case against those charged. Recorded conversations, email trails, all of which will now be used to convict. (hopefully).

They also spent 15K whereas the Loughlin/Mossimos spent half a million. Wonder if that makes a difference in their futures.
I think it will depend on who took the bribery money as deductions on their tax forms. THAT is going to be what gets them into the hottest water, imo.

One guy in the doc even is recorded specifically requesting getting a letter from the scam-man to use for tax purposes. In other cases, the scam-man, directed by the Feds, called the parents and claimed he was getting audited, giving them a "heads up" on what to say when the IRS called, clearly getting them on recordings going along with it. That wasn't an accident - he called the parents deliberately and at the direction of the investigators to get that part on tape.

I find the financial investigation very interesting.

jmo

If you're one of these wealthy, or wealthy and famous parents or couples, what is your defense? What's a defense attorney going to do to convince a courtroom that this was all some big misunderstanding? Singer deciding to cooperate is a very big story. They had him dead to rights and he cracked like an egg. Without that, it would be much harder to make a case against those charged. Recorded conversations, email trails, all of which will now be used to convict. (hopefully).

The strange thing in this prosecution is that Singer is the main scammer, followed by the various coaches etc who opened the side door.

The parents are further down the food chain (I say all this with no sympathy for any parties). It’s somewhat unusual to have the top guy crack and be used against the people to whom he was selling. It would be like having a drug dealer rat on his users, not his suppliers.

Not saying it’s wrong, and they all deserve to face the music. It’s just a little unusual because they already have the mastermind. Usually it goes the other way. I don’t think anyone ranks above him in perpetrating this fraud.

I think it will depend on who took the bribery money as deductions on their tax forms. THAT is going to be what gets them into the hottest water, imo.

One guy in the doc even is recorded specifically requesting getting a letter from the scam-man to use for tax purposes. In other cases, the scam-man, directed by the Feds, called the parents and claimed he was getting audited, giving them a "heads up" on what to say when the IRS called, clearly getting them on recordings going along with it. That wasn't an accident - he called the parents deliberately and at the direction of the investigators to get that part on tape.

I find the financial investigation very interesting.

jmo

I truly agree that, should the IRS become involved and, IMO it should, that will be the biggest problem these defendants have.
Also, if the parents filed a joint federal tax return, spouses of those involved surely will be drawn into this.

I note that a class action has been filed (but not yet certified) against a couple of these colleges by students who were not admitted. I think that case would be difficult to prove, but what if the students prevail? Will the colleges sue the parents to recoup their losses? Or, will the parents also be sued, together with the colleges, in the class action suit (should it be certified)?

The more I think about it, this becomes a bigger mess.
Prison time, fines, probation, restitution, college expulsion, lost jobs, damages, damaged reputations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper