Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I truly agree that, should the IRS become involved and, IMO it should, that will be the biggest problem these defendants have.
Also, if the parents filed a joint federal tax return, spouses of those involved surely will be drawn into this.

I note that a class action has been filed (but not yet certified) against a couple of these colleges by students who were not admitted. I think that case would be difficult to prove, but what if the students prevail? Will the colleges sue the parents to recoup their losses? Or, will the parents also be sued, together with the colleges, in the class action suit (should it be certified)?

The more I think about it, this becomes a bigger mess.
Prison time, fines, probation, restitution, college expulsion, lost jobs, damages, damaged reputations.

I’m not sure about the parents getting sued by the colleges. In the ones I’ve read about, some official, usually a coach, was the conduit. There was a lack of control with no system of checks and balances. If every year the crew coach vouched for two kids who never turned up to practice, that should have been recognized in some form of performance review and raised a flag.

They were sloppy.

I see the Loughlin-Gianulli issue as being tied up in Mossimo’s lack of college education and trying to make up for it by forcing his daughters into it. As I read it, daughter Olivia would have been perfectly happy with a couple of semesters at ASU to party, but felt no need to fulfull a degree at a prestigious school.

And, not just any old university, but the “prestigious” USC where Olivia would not only fulfill his personal dreams, but also connect with big-money people and further all their careers and fame. ( His trip to Atlanta with the USC Director of Athletics, her spring break on the USC Board Chairman’s yacht)

Although distasteful to me, there is nothing unusual in trying to promote your self and your children in this manner.

But committing crimes to do this is another story completely.

Tells me an immense amount about the dynamics of that family.

Makes me very thankful for my naive solid parents who wanted to guide me to a personally fulfilling career and life.

MOO, MOO, MOO.

I truly agree that, should the IRS become involved and, IMO it should, that will be the biggest problem these defendants have.
Also, if the parents filed a joint federal tax return, spouses of those involved surely will be drawn into this.

I note that a class action has been filed (but not yet certified) against a couple of these colleges by students who were not admitted. I think that case would be difficult to prove, but what if the students prevail? Will the colleges sue the parents to recoup their losses? Or, will the parents also be sued, together with the colleges, in the class action suit (should it be certified)?

The more I think about it, this becomes a bigger mess.
Prison time, fines, probation, restitution, college expulsion, lost jobs, damages, damaged reputations.
I honestly don't think those lawsuits will go anywhere. The college was, in a sense, also scammed. I think/hope the colleges will crack down on the "side door" sports, but I don't think the lawsuits really have merit. But I'm not a lawyer so what do I know.

The strange thing in this prosecution is that Singer is the main scammer, followed by the various coaches etc who opened the side door.

The parents are further down the food chain (I say all this with no sympathy for any parties). It’s somewhat unusual to have the top guy crack and be used against the people to whom he was selling. It would be like having a drug dealer rat on his users, not his suppliers.

Not saying it’s wrong, and they all deserve to face the music. It’s just a little unusual because they already have the mastermind. Usually it goes the other way. I don’t think anyone ranks above him in perpetrating this fraud.
Yes it is strange, and part of what makes this financial investigation so interesting. Rick Singer was implicated by another person who was under investigation for financial wrong-doings, unrelated to any of these college-admission scams. As that person was investigated, he said - "hey, I bribed a coach to get my kid in college," throwing a bone to the investigators to get a better deal for himself. And....the investigators looked into the claim and found Rick Singer, who then, in turn, cooperated with the Fed for his own deal. Then they found the parents.

I'm sure there will be more tangles to come.

jmo

I haven't read every post here and apologize if someone has already researched where Lori Laughlin's daughter went to high school. Marymount High School | All-Girls Private School in Los Angeles

My parents sacrificed to send my four siblings and I to a parochial school rather than Detroit Public Schools. I was always grateful to have been given the opportunity for a Catholic education and believe that it served me well. No doubt the prestigious Marymount High School promotes values that are similar to those with which I was raised and educated. Bribery and cheating are surely not among those values.

Jennifer Kay Toy, a former Oakland school teacher, filed a $500 billion (yep, with a B!) class action lawsuit Wednesday against defendants named in "Operation Varsity Blues," claiming "legitimate applicants to colleges were denied access due to the illegal activities."

Lori Loughlin, Felicity Huffman sued for $500 billion(!) over college bribery scandal

And the suit, which claims more than $5 million in damages, says that as a result of the scheme “unqualified students found their way into the admissions rolls of highly selective universities, while those students who played by the rules and did not have college-bribing parents were denied admission.”

The suit is seeking repayment of the application fees the students paid to the universities.

Class-action suit filed against 8 colleges in bribery scam that snared CEOs

Olsen and Woods are representing a wide range of people. Here’s who qualifies for the class-action lawsuit:

“All individuals who, between 2012 and 2018, applied to UCLA, USC, USD, Stanford University, UT-Texas at Austin, Wake Forest University, Georgetown University, or Yale University, paid an admission application fee to one or more of these universities, with respect to an admission application that was rejected by the university.”

This means that if you paid to have your application considered at one of these eight schools between 2012 and 2018 and were then denied admission, you may be able to earn funds as a result of Olsen and Woods’ case.

Here's who qualifies for the class-action lawsuit filed in response to the admissions scandal

I’m not sure about the parents getting sued by the colleges. In the ones I’ve read about, some official, usually a coach, was the conduit. There was a lack of control with no system of checks and balances. If every year the crew coach vouched for two kids who never turned up to practice, that should have been recognized in some form of performance review and raised a flag.

They were sloppy.

And you just stated a cause of action against the colleges. There should have been .... It was reasonable to .......

Jennifer Kay Toy, a former Oakland school teacher, filed a $500 billion (yep, with a B!) class action lawsuit Wednesday against defendants named in "Operation Varsity Blues," claiming "legitimate applicants to colleges were denied access due to the illegal activities."

Lori Loughlin, Felicity Huffman sued for $500 billion(!) over college bribery scandal

And the suit, which claims more than $5 million in damages, says that as a result of the scheme “unqualified students found their way into the admissions rolls of highly selective universities, while those students who played by the rules and did not have college-bribing parents were denied admission.”

The suit is seeking repayment of the application fees the students paid to the universities.

Class-action suit filed against 8 colleges in bribery scam that snared CEOs

Olsen and Woods are representing a wide range of people. Here’s who qualifies for the class-action lawsuit:

“All individuals who, between 2012 and 2018, applied to UCLA, USC, USD, Stanford University, UT-Texas at Austin, Wake Forest University, Georgetown University, or Yale University, paid an admission application fee to one or more of these universities, with respect to an admission application that was rejected by the university.”

This means that if you paid to have your application considered at one of these eight schools between 2012 and 2018 and were then denied admission, you may be able to earn funds as a result of Olsen and Woods’ case.

Here's who qualifies for the class-action lawsuit filed in response to the admissions scandal

I would think those students would have to show they were next in line for a spot and/or harmed monetarily by not getting in.

I'm trying to figure out how I would handle this is I was Olivia Jade. I went to to her youtube channel and she does a nice job promoting products and I can see why companies would like using her as an influencer.

Do you think young people would go back to her if she throws her parents under the bus? Maybe say something about parents not always being right and to follow your dreams?

The strange thing in this prosecution is that Singer is the main scammer, followed by the various coaches etc who opened the side door.

The parents are further down the food chain (I say all this with no sympathy for any parties). It’s somewhat unusual to have the top guy crack and be used against the people to whom he was selling. It would be like having a drug dealer rat on his users, not his suppliers.

Not saying it’s wrong, and they all deserve to face the music. It’s just a little unusual because they already have the mastermind. Usually it goes the other way. I don’t think anyone ranks above him in perpetrating this fraud.

IMO, Singer should go down big!

And you just stated a cause of action against the colleges. There should have been .... It was reasonable to .......

I can definitely see a class action suit gaining traction. I can also see a hilarious SNL skit shaping up.

Have YOU been denied admission to the college of your choice? You may qualify for a monetary award! Don't wait, call 1-800-UNI-SCAM today!

IMO, MOO. I'm not poking fun at anyone here, at all!! Just where my mind goes.

Loughlin's daughter is like a Kardashian. Famous for nothing. I hope the hammer comes down on all involved.

I thought about that too, but my mind immediately went to thinking at least they didn't cheat their way into college.

I'm not really sure we can say 'for nothing' any longer. Social media has provided new doors, even if they dont require much knowledge.

I haven't read every post here and apologize if someone has already researched where Lori Laughlin's daughter went to high school. Marymount High School | All-Girls Private School in Los Angeles

My parents sacrificed to send my four siblings and I to a parochial school rather than Detroit Public Schools. I was always grateful to have been given the opportunity for a Catholic education and believe that it served me well. No doubt the prestigious Marymount High School promotes values that are similar to those with which I was raised and educated. Bribery and cheating are surely not among those values.

Kim and Kourtney K. went to that school as well, btw. Saw that in one of the many articles I've read the past few days.

ETA it's also right next door to the Giannulli home. Wonder if they walked those few yards. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214