Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which honestly, IMO she has every right to be (mad at her folks). Her parents pushed their wishes for her to go to college on her when Olivia was very clear she couldn't care less about going. She was fine doing her YouTube thing. And now because of her parents' pushiness she has lost her dream career.

Sure she may have gotten that career due to dad's money and connections, but there is nothing illegal about that. Lots of parents would spend any money they can on their kids this way, and pull some strings with business buddies if there were strings to pull. That doesn't just happen for the uber rich - I know someone who became a mail carrier because of strings her dad pulled.

Loughlin/Giannulli raised their daughters to become what many would consider spoiled brats. The thing is, that honestly doesn't matter, because there's nothing illegal about turning your kids into spoiled brats.

What bugs me is that no matter how spoiled Olivia may be, she had her YouTube dream and was doing well with it apparently (I'd never heard of her, but that doesn't mean much LOL) and she could have easily built it up over the years and become a brand in her own right. Which is what she seemed to want to do.
Her parents not just forced their wants ('go to college') on her, they ruined all of that for her. Now what the heck is she going to do? She's not going to get into any colleges even if she wanted to, and the rest of it has vaporized. And she's only 19, with a lot of years left to go.

All MOO and JMO
Absolutely to all of this! Olivia was doing just fine with a successful YouTube channel and some quality partnerships and endorsements. While being an "influencer" is not exactly being a rocket scientist, I mean hey, if you can make good money at it, all the power to you. She likes makeup and clothes or whatever it is she was doing. There is really nothing wrong with that. And it's not easy to make a sustainable living doing that kind of thing. She seemed to be doing okay. Why even mess with that? You know, school and a college degree maybe isn't for everyone, especially a person not willing to go to class or do any homework. So why force it? It would be one thing if she was home living in her parents' basement mooching off of them, but she actually had her own income coming in and seemed to enjoy what she was doing.

I don't feel that sorry for her because I do think she's an entitled brat, but I feel bad that her parents put this scheme on her that I doubt she would have ever sought out on her own. She seemed perfectly okay with not going to school. And I doubt she had any idea about the dollar figure her parents paid. I think her brand market value is pretty much done. She should go volunteer and show she learned a bit about being humble before she even attempts venturing out into anything.

Lori Loughlin - I can't even recall the last time that a fairly well-known famous person who was generally considered a very likable, good actress, etc basically watched her entire persona and image go poof and up in flames sooo quickly. Most people seemed to have nostalgic, happy, positive memories of wholesome, charming, sweet "Aunt Becky."

Even when I first saw breaking news headlines, it barely registered as a blip on my radar. Something about college admissions. I wasn't on my computer, didn't have time to click on articles that minute. Throughout the day it seemed to be getting more and more traction. I noticed that "Aunt Becky" was trending on twitter, so that finally peaked my interest. She had so much good will built up (valid or not) that I don't think the disgust was immediate at first. It was more kind of curiosity what this whole scandal was even about. Then some jokes. Oh boy, Aunt Becky is in trouble with the law. Ha ha ha. And then as the details came out, and I read the wiretap conversations, and started grasping the implications and the fraud - just disgust. True character shining through. Completely different perception of her. Even when I see a picture of her now, instead of thinking she is attractive and lovely, I just see a face that is fake and harsh and entitled.

Obviously you can't base a person of the characters they play on television. But I just can't think of many examples where a typically, universally well-liked person became so radioactive overnight. Martha Stewart? She had an air of entitlement and rubbed many the wrong way before her scandal. Matt Lauer? I mean, did that really take anyone by total surprise? But this, I have heard being talked about at my gym, at the local coffee place, in random conversations with friends - so much chatter. For some reason, this is a scandal that is resonating and angering a lot of people. Tough thing to bounce back from.

I agree with the articles and some posts above that it may be easier for Felicity Huffman to recover because she played more deceitful, edgier characters. Lori Loughlin's whole persona was the good girl or wholesome, genuine, mom type. Exactly why Hallmark had loved her. And why they dropped her so fast.

Absolutely to all of this! Olivia was doing just fine with a successful YouTube channel and some quality partnerships and endorsements. While being an "influencer" is not exactly being a rocket scientist, I mean hey, if you can make good money at it, all the power to you. She likes makeup and clothes or whatever it is she was doing. There is really nothing wrong with that. And it's not easy to make a sustainable living doing that kind of thing. She seemed to be doing okay. Why even mess with that? You know, school and a college degree maybe isn't for everyone, especially a person not willing to go to class or do any homework. So why force it? It would be one thing if she was home living in her parents' basement mooching off of them, but she actually had her own income coming in and seemed to enjoy what she was doing.

I don't feel that sorry for her because I do think she's an entitled brat, but I feel bad that her parents put this scheme on her that I doubt she would have ever sought out on her own. She seemed perfectly okay with not going to school. And I doubt she had any idea about the dollar figure her parents paid. I think her brand market value is pretty much done. She should go volunteer and show she learned a bit about being humble before she even attempts venturing out into anything.
I agree. The daughter isn't to blame here. She didn't even want to go to college and pretty much let it known she wasn't going to go to class much. This was all about Mom and Dad's ego and advancement.

I really liked the show she did on hallmark mystery channel if that show is cancelled I wonder what happens to al the cast that is in the show...that show was one of my favorites
Garage Sale Mysteries? I’ve really enjoyed that too. What a shame, I cannot believe she did this, very, very disappointing. I’m just hoping now none of my other favorite Hallmark stars are involved.

Mossimo sold his clothing line to Target in 2000 for a reported $135 million.

Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli List Remodeled $35M Bel Air Mansion

and now this:

Target distances itself from Mossimo label amid college admissions scandal

Giannulli’s eponymous budget menswear line was a fixture at Target stores from 2000 until the retailer phased out the brand in 2017 amid declining consumer interest. Mossimo’s licensing deal with Target was renewed several times over the years, but the retailer said it no longer has any association with the fashion designer.

“We haven’t had a working relationship with Mossimo Giannulli in over a decade and we no longer carry any Mossimo branded products at Target,” the company said in a statement.

This isn't news...Target hasn't carried Mossimo stuff in a few years. My kid loved their jeans

What is happening with the rest of the people in this scam? Are they being shut out of their jobs?

Good question. I'm super happy about the ramifications to these disgusting families but there are a lot of people on that list we don't recognize. What's happening with them?

I agree. The daughter isn't to blame here. She didn't even want to go to college and pretty much let it known she wasn't going to go to class much. This was all about Mom and Dad's ego and advancement.

I feel she's partly to blame. She posed for fake rowing photos to get in. She knew those photos were phony and she knew what they were for. Her sense of entitlement is obscene. These are truly selfish people out of touch and unconcerned with the rest of the world.

Despicable.

What a load of BS from Rita Wilson. LOL, celebs are so FOS.

"And it's also insulting to the colleges that're not considered 'elite,' as if they're somehow different or you're getting a different education -- it doesn't matter! It's all about hard work!" she continued. Busy agreed wholeheartedly, as did the audience, which erupted in cheers.

Rita Wilson Fumes Over 'Unethical and Disturbing' College Bribery Scam Involving Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman

Why is she full of it? What did she sawy that's wrong?

Are there private colleges in and around L.A. that are known as being good fits for the academically marginal but highly privileged set?

When I used to be more in the loop there were certainly schools with reputations like that. They had the social cachet but not the academic.

I feel she's partly to blame. She posed for fake rowing photos to get in. She knew those photos were phony and she knew what they were for. Her sense of entitlement is obscene. These are truly selfish people out of touch and unconcerned with the rest of the world.

Despicable.
What I meant was that she wasn't the one that started this. She certainly knew what was going on but i get the feeling she was just doing to it because mom and dad wanted her to.

Pretty sure they just saw this post, saw 'Kimmel', and went to the most well-known Kimmel in their minds. Not sure why this is becoming such a big deal?

The post is about Elisabeth Kimmel however (@Teche ). Info about her indictment can be found starting on page 143 of the link provided by Inthedetails in the quote.
Thanks for correcting me!

Are there private colleges in and around L.A. that are known as being good fits for the academically marginal but highly privileged set?

When I used to be more in the loop there were certainly schools with reputations like that. They had the social cachet but not the academic.

Party schools? :cool:

Whoa.... the dentistry professor story gets worse.

HE had a 3+ decade career at USC!! From student to lab director to chair of the periodontology department.

You can't make this stuff up....

USC’s central role in college admissions scandal brings anger and dismay
You would think that being a chair of a department, his kid's application would be given extra consideration just as a courtesy. How much extra "help" do these kids need to get into college, my goodness. Is USC on the same level as Harvard these days?

From old articles:

The TV star and her husband, who you may recognize for his Mossimo line at Target, have two children together, daughters Olivia, 19, and Isabella, 20. Both have bourgeoning social media presences, but Loughlin is adamant that they graduate before following in her footsteps.

“[Isabella] just finished her first year of college and she really enjoys it and I think she’ll get her degree. And I just said to her, ‘Look, have some back up plan. Get a degree and something else,’” she told Salon in August.

But regardless of if they pursue Hollywood or not, Loughlin’s biggest hope for her teens is simple. “I just wish for them always to be happy and healthy,” she said.

Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli - Lori Loughlin's Husband and Kids

Lori Loughlin talks "Full House" fandom, Hallmark mysteries and more

You would think that being a chair of a department, his kid's application would be given extra consideration just as a courtesy. How much extra "help" do these kids need to get into college, my goodness. Is USC on the same level as Harvard these days?

Only a fool would hire / bribe someone to just "get them into" a college. There must have been some sort of tutoring involved as well (I would think). Why would someone pay all this money to get their kid in and they just flunk out from not being able to do the work thereafter?

JMO

This can’t be correct: ASU isn’t even listed and USC is #14

2019 Top Party Schools in America
My school made the top 10 - like it does every year. :eek: But, MOO I’d say the greater percentage of alumni were there for the education and not the parties.

IU’s claim to fame: “The World’s Greatest College Weekend”. (Little 500 weekend- think “Breaking Away”) The positive side of the weekend events, all proceeds raised go towards a scholarship fund for working IU students. (Other factoid: every team is provided the same exact bike to make sure that the race is won on skill and effort - not on which team can buy the best equipment.)

[
QUOTE="jggordo, post: 14915283, member: 107619"]Only a fool would hire / bribe someone to just "get them into" a college. There must have been some sort of tutoring involved as well (I would think). Why would someone pay all this money to get their kid in and they just flunk out from not being able to do the work thereafter?

JMO[/QUOTE]
ITA.

Maybe they planned to continue the charade in the style of Rodney Dangerfield “Back to School” style: hire a famous author (like Kurt Vonnegut) and staffers to write papers, + sleep with a tenured professor and pay off the deans. ;)

It defies sensible logic. Smh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member