Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marcia and Gregory Abbott

The New York and Aspen-based couple allegedly wanted their daughter to get into Duke University and had little faith that she could achieve the scores she desired on her own, so they forked over $50,000. Gregory is the founder and chairman of a food and beverage packaging company.

Marcia was allegedly recorded in a couple of areas saying that her daughter was going to throw up due to the pressure, so this failsafe was great:

“Alright, she loves the guy [CW-2] who took the SATs, she said. She said she started having heart palpitations but she said he was so sweet, he let me walk around the hallway. She said, ‘Can’t I take my SAT subjects with him?’ And I said, ‘Nah, I don’t think so. I mean, I think, you know, you just, it’s whole different area and that was ’cause we happened to be out in California seeing schools. So you know we’re gonna take them here.”’So, alright, so there’s no way for [August] 27th. Then I guess we should take them here down [in the Aspen area] on the 27th and let’s see how she does.”

“If so, yes, October 6th. So I guess they give a mix alright. Well, let’s see how she does, She’s convinced that she bombed the lit because she was too tired, so … And [Duke University] told us they didn’t want anything below a 750.”

After hearing ACT score was “not exceptional”: “Oh yeah, my gosh, I mean, I’m sure her, you kidding me? She was gonna throw up like every single drug in the world for mono and lyme [disease]. I’m sure it was a disaster.

“Do you know how she did on her own?”

Cooperating witness-1 (CW): “Yeah, I do. She scored in the mid-600s.”

Gregory: “Yeah.”

Their daughter “received a score of 800 out of a possible 800 on the math subject test and 710 on the literature subject test

These Are the Craziest Allegations Against Parents Implicated in Historic College Cheating Scam
These quotes don’t even make sense. Are these parents even literate?

Kushner got in for $2.5 million about 30 years ago. I read speculation that it would be 10 times that today.

Of course, schools at the very top have massive endowments and no need for the money, but they keep asking for it and taking it.

Dang that's lots of cash. Same as letting an athlete in, but they don't get the cash up front lol. IMO, they need to end all of it and go to a 100% blind enrollment.

They should have to re-apply on their own merits, including re-taking the SAT under supervision and sports tryouts. Well, if allowed back at all.
Those students are responsible for the accuracy of their credentials, not their parents. Same as if my account makes a mistake on my taxes, the IRS comes after me, not them. They don't care that it wasn't my fault.

Re-evaluate the true application without cheating and if they might get in, let them stay, otherwise, give them the boot.

Personally, I don't think any of them didn't know some cheating had occurred.

Poetic justice: by cheating to get their daughter into a good school, so she would have a brighter future, they ultimately extinguished her bright future as an online influencer.

I don't know what everybody is up in arms about. This has been going on for decades, even generations. If they had waited and followed these kids around they would find they would or have graduated with flying colors, having passed courses they never even attended. As we speak College Athletic Departments have nests of "tutors" for athletes that can't pass their required courses, but they can play ball and get the Stadium seats filled.

JMO
Not saying it's right, but at least those athletes can actually play ball! These kids couldn't even play the sports they were "recruited" for.

Makes me sick when I remember the story of Jamal Speaks, a high school football player who was pulled off his high school football team for having the audacity to be homeless. And then you have kids with no talent and every economic advantage who are able to be "recruited" as an elite athlete when they have zero talent. Messed up world we live in.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ibility/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.158d3731e27f

ETA: As a little background on that case, the D.C. Public Schools officials said the District of Columbia State Athletic Association determined that Speaks was eligible to play, but they said the District of Columbia Interscholastic Athletic Association (DCSAA) ruled the poor guy was ineligible because he literally didn't have a permanent address that could be verified. BECAUSE HE WAS HOMELESS.

Last edited:
Those students are responsible for the accuracy of their credentials, not their parents. Same as if my account makes a mistake on my taxes, the IRS comes after me, not them. They don't care that it wasn't my fault.

Re-evaluate the true application without cheating and if they might get in, let them stay, otherwise, give them the boot.

Personally, I don't think any of them didn't know some cheating had occurred.

Poetic justice: by cheating to get their daughter into a good school, so she would have a brighter future, they ultimately extinguished her bright future as an online influencer.
For the scammer students in the school, I would first try to determine if the student knew. I think most did know, and that case - boom, they're out. If the investigation can't determine if the student knew, I would look at how they are doing in their coursework. If they are actually attending and passing their classes (honestly!), I would be inclined to let them stay. My hunch is they probably aren't doing well in their classes (my guess, not fact). In that case, boot 'em. They don't belong there.

jmo

Too I think it is adding insult to injury in the whole situation because this scheme is set up as a "non-profit". The parents used the fees as a tax write off. Didn't someone just get Prison time for these same types of behavior this week?

rsbm

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about his apology. There is something about it that doesn't sit right with me. It comes across as very sincere, but at the same time he never said anything about how he is one of those kids "who work their asses off" (to quote the article/apology), or something like it. But maybe I'm just super critical. I hope it's a genuine apology.

TBH I'm mad about quite a few things in this scandal, but one of them is the utter stupidity of these parents as parents, as the people who are supposed to guide their kids. I just can't fathom going to these (or any) deceiving lengths to advance my kids. Of course I want my kids to be successful in life, but I want them to get there on their own merits. That's what I try to equip them for with the way I parent. Part of that is letting them experience failure and how to come out of that for the better.
On top of that, if you prop them up like that, one day you'll have to let them go - and they won't have the skills themselves to stay where they're at, so they'll fall flat on their faces and end up worse than they would have been a few steps lower, but in their own strength. You're basically destroying a human and all their potential. That ticks me off, no matter how brainless some of these kids seem.

JMO

These kids won’t because they have their rich friends giving them jobs.

I don’t think SHE was responsible for her “bright future”.

Daddy Mossimo undoubtedly set her up and has worked to associate her vlog with the big players (Amaz0n, Sephora) who promote “her” products and such.

Once again, having rich influential parents helps you look like you are competent.

Not saying it's right, but at least those athletes can actually play ball! These kids couldn't even play the sports they were "recruited" for.

Makes me sick when I remember the story of Jamal Speaks, a high school football player who was pulled off his high school football team for having the audacity to be homeless. And then you have kids with no talent and every economic advantage who are able to be "recruited" as an elite athlete when they have zero talent. Messed up world we live in.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ibility/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.158d3731e27f
I agree. And while this isn't right either, I don't think many of those big-sport athletes are taking a spot from an otherwise qualified student. I think the schools make room for the athletes, at least the ones on the teams that make money for the school.

That's a whole 'nother racket.

jmo

I don’t think SHE was responsible for her “bright future”.

Daddy Mossimo undoubtedly set her up and has worked to associate her vlog with the big players (Amaz0n, Sephora) who promote “her” products and such.

Once again, having rich influential parents helps you look like you are competent.
I don't have a problem with a rich, connected, talented parent helping out a child. That is not the same as cheating to get a spot in school.

Plenty of people follow in a family business and they are able to do so because of inside connections. Or they are set up with jobs because of connections. That is not illegal.

jmo

Executive suspected of securities fraud gave tip that launched admissions bribery case
March 14, 2019 1:44PM EDT
BOSTON -- The biggest school admissions scandal ever prosecuted began with a tip from an executive investigators were targeting in a securities fraud probe, a law enforcement official said Thursday.

The executive told Boston authorities chasing down the market manipulation scheme that the women's soccer coach at Yale University said he would label the executive's daughter as a recruit in exchange for cash, the official said. The official was not authorized to discuss the case and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Investigators recorded a meeting between the executive and the coach at a Boston hotel room in April 2018. During the meeting, which is described in court documents, authorities say Rudy Meredith told the father he would help his daughter get into Yale in exchange for $450,000. Meredith accepted $2,000 in cash in the hotel room and gave the executive directions about how to wire the rest of the money, authorities say.

Meredith began co-operating with the investigation that same month in the hopes of getting a lesser sentence, prosecutors say in court documents.

And then there is the kids who get "recruited" and a scholarship used when talent isn't there. The kid gets to play some. When they graduate did gives them the NBA basketball team as a gift. Ala Denver Nuggets.

JMO

Executive suspected of securities fraud gave tip that launched admissions bribery case
March 14, 2019 1:44PM EDT
BOSTON -- The biggest school admissions scandal ever prosecuted began with a tip from an executive investigators were targeting in a securities fraud probe, a law enforcement official said Thursday.

The executive told Boston authorities chasing down the market manipulation scheme that the women's soccer coach at Yale University said he would label the executive's daughter as a recruit in exchange for cash, the official said. The official was not authorized to discuss the case and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Investigators recorded a meeting between the executive and the coach at a Boston hotel room in April 2018. During the meeting, which is described in court documents, authorities say Rudy Meredith told the father he would help his daughter get into Yale in exchange for $450,000. Meredith accepted $2,000 in cash in the hotel room and gave the executive directions about how to wire the rest of the money, authorities say.

Meredith began co-operating with the investigation that same month in the hopes of getting a lesser sentence, prosecutors say in court documents.
Interesting! Market manipulation? This is actually going to be fascinating to follow, beyond just the rich/celebrity allure of the case.

And, now it's starting to make sense why the next court dates for Loughlin, et al are scheduled for Boston. I was wondering about that.

Hmm....the plot thickens?

jmo

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with a rich, connected, talented parent helping out a child. That is not the same as cheating to get a spot in school.

Plenty of people follow in a family business and they are able to do so because of inside connections. Or they are set up with jobs because of connections. That is not illegal.

jmo
I honestly think that's what is so shocking about this particular case. These kids did not need this "education" or even the "status" of these prestigious schools to get ahead in life. They had access to sooo many things and careers and sponsorships and opportunities or whatever their little hearts desired, without ever having to do anything close to resorting to this fraud to get ahead. It's insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr