NC - 12-year-old dies at Trails Carolina wilderness therapy camp, Lake Toxaway, February 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If you look at the website for the program, you will find that there are lots of qualified staff (not sure who works over nights); the camp costs about $750/day for a minimum of 40+ days, with other charges and it has school lessons as well. Not sure about this program but the one described in the previously cited Vox article had the same "sleep on the floor in a bivy" initially and later two things happen- you can earn a bunk bed with good behavior but later on you do go out hiking and sleep outdoors with the plastic sheet (ground cover), sleeping bag and bivy, so sort of trial run for that set up.

trails nc camp - Google Search

View attachment 483615

Trails Carolina - Leading Wilderness Therapy For Teens and ...

View attachment 483616
Trails Carolina
https://trailscarolina.com

Trails Carolina is a wilderness therapy program helping teens and adolescents ages 10-17 who struggle with mental health challenges. Learn more.
It’s not verified whether that staff is on campus, on call, weekly visits, adjuncts, or whatever. The TC website is PR. So far, nothing on that site is verifiable except maybe the contact info.

I looked at this web site recently- had staff info, info for parents, info about programs, etc. like any public site, and now that I try to look at it again, it is password protected !

They have also limited who can comment on their fb most recent fb posts and although it says there are comments I can't see them.
This is also recent as it was all public a couple of days ago.

I imagine yes. But.... I am thinking that the camp was disbanded following the death of the camper. The kids then scattered all over the country.

If the "confidentiality theory" is correct, I imagine that the camp could find away to provide contact information (maybe contact parents for permission?) if they really wanted to.

They, however, might not "really want to" and investigators might not be able to force them to develop imagination and creativity short of getting a Court order.

Even getting a Court order might be problematic. Can subjects under any kind of investigation be force to provide creative administrative assistance to the investigators?
The camp took all the kids to another site near Pisgah Forest. They did not make the kids available to state social workers. This is not optional.
Consider: DHS interviews abused children all the time, by themselves, and without parent permission.

"Det. Gonee and Shook attempted to gain information on the other four juveniles that were in the bunk house along with CJH when he died. Trails Carolina staff refused to allow us to speak with any juveniles on sight, as well as see them. They also refused to give out any of the juveniles' names or date of births, or any other information as well," says the warrant.

Trails Carolina also declined a request from the Transylvania County Department of Social Services to "check on the welfare of the children as well," according to the affidavit.
I don't understand how they could get by declining a request. One child was already dead--why didn't law enforcement intervene and make sure social services checked on the welfare of the other kid? It's like they treated them with kid gloves.

The camp took all the kids to another site near Pisgah Forest. They did not make the kids available to state social workers. This is not optional.
Consider: DHS interviews abused children all the time, by themselves, and without parent permission.
They’re only trying to cover their own butts.

They know they’re in deep trouble, but their actions, since the child has been found dead, have only made them look worse. They just keep digging their grave a little deeper each day.

I’m just astonished that such a place exists in the first place and it’s LEGAL.

It’s child abuse in my books <modsnip>

The Lawyers will be gearing up for this one. We could see some precedents in this case as it moves through the courts. I’m hoping charges are laid, and action taken, to end this type of prison, oops “camp”.

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm shocked at their lack of cooperation. NC established forensic interview practices more than 20 years ago. This explains the process:

On Friday, the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services announced the decision has been made to remove all children from the care of Trails Carolina, and all new admissions are suspended.

"While the investigation is ongoing and we cannot comment on specific details, it was determined that action needed to be taken to ensure the health and safety of the children," a news release from NCDHHS said. "Parents have been notified and children will be temporarily taken into care of Transylvania County DSS."

The release went on to say, "The death at Trails Carolina is tragic and concerning. We extend our deepest sympathies to the family and loved ones of the child who died, and commit to them that we are conducting a thorough investigation with our county partners and will take every appropriate step based on the outcome of our and other investigations."

https://www.wyff4.com/article/north-carolina-camp-death-children-removed/46816284

So much for Trails statement the other day that their own internal investigation and that of "outside professionals who are subject-matter experts" finding that they have done nothing wrong and have been concluded blah blah blah. The NCDHHS are the outside professionals and they beg to disagree.

Last edited:
On Friday, the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services announced the decision has been made to remove all children from the care of Trails Carolina, and all new admissions are suspended.

"While the investigation is ongoing and we cannot comment on specific details, it was determined that action needed to be taken to ensure the health and safety of the children," a news release from NCDHHS said. "Parents have been notified and children will be temporarily taken into care of Transylvania County DSS."

The release went on to say, "The death at Trails Carolina is tragic and concerning. We extend our deepest sympathies to the family and loved ones of the child who died, and commit to them that we are conducting a thorough investigation with our county partners and will take every appropriate step based on the outcome of our and other investigations."

https://www.wyff4.com/article/north-carolina-camp-death-children-removed/46816284

So much for Trails statement the other day that their own internal investigation and that of "outside professionals who are subject-matter experts" finding that they have done nothing wrong and have been concluded blah blah blah. The NCDHHS are the outside professionals and they beg to disagree.
I guess this explains the new password-protected website!

Thank goodness. Lets hope with being removed these children will feel safe enough to talk. I would not think it would be easy for them to talk knowing they might have to still live there with the consequences. They might not feel safe but they might feel comfortable to speak now.

I really hope these kids can get the help they need.

Been looking at this website since someone above posted the link.

"

3. It’s a punitive “Tough Love” Industry​

Upon arrival at the program, youth are further traumatized when their belongings are immediately taken from them during the intake process. They also may be subjected to a forced strip-search or cavity search during this time. It is not until after this process is completed that the young person is allowed to be acquainted with their peers. Since many programs utilize an antiquated point- and level-based system, youth initially have no privileges and are forced to earn fundamental human rights. This “tough love” approach attempts to correct behavior instead of treating mental health issues or working through prior trauma."

This is not saying that this was their exact rules and process. But could fit.

10 days late, but better than never.

Interesting, that they don't seem to have sent kids home.

Thank God!

10 days late, but better than never.

Interesting, that they don't seem to have sent kids home.
well, I imagine most are from out of state just as CJH was so time may be needed for parents to come collect or make travel arrangements. What I find interesting is that NCDHHS didn't tell Trails to make arrangements to get the kids home, they took custody of them and have them somewhere while those arrangements can be made. ie. they didn't trust them in Trails Carolina's care even long enough to arrange their pickup by parents or transport home.

"

Upon arrival at the program, youth are further traumatized when their belongings are immediately taken from them during the intake process. They also may be subjected to a forced strip-search or cavity search during this time. It is not until after this process is completed that the young person is allowed to be acquainted with their peers. Since many programs utilize an antiquated point- and level-based system, youth initially have no privileges and are forced to earn fundamental human rights. This “tough love” approach attempts to correct behavior instead of treating mental health issues or working through prior trauma."

I keep writing about the Vox article but it is my only reference point. Vox First Person: I went into the woods a teenage drug addict and came out sober. Was it worth it?

He was told that he could take books and he did but they initially took them away so that he would not be off in his own little book world and so that he would "participate." He was a thoughtful person and he did stop using drugs and seemingly he did begin to appreciate what he had had at home but the experience was not pleasant for him. He also writes about how he tried to talk to the counselors about another participant whom he thought was too "basic" to understand what was expected of him and whom he thought would never "progress."

(Not a counselor and I do not know what people are supposed to do with children who act out or who self harm and who, as they mature and should become more independent, instead become more destructive, or withdrawn or dangerous.)

"

Another excellent resource is a non profit organization called Breaking Code Silence.

Hopefully NCDHHS will conduct a thorough investigation in the boy’s death. Removing the “campers” to safety is a good first step.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back