NC - 12-year-old dies at Trails Carolina wilderness therapy camp, Lake Toxaway, February 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm not from the States and I've never heard of these behavioral camps. It all sounds horrific and barbaric to me. Just my opinion. May the child RIP.
I live in Europe and I have never heard of them too.

My mind simply boggles!!

As a teacher, I sometimes deal with such kids but we have help of a psychologist and professional counsellor at school.

Any youth camp is restrictedly checked by educational authorities and I mean just a holiday camp.

If such "behavioral" o_O camp was organised here,
I can assure you that staff would consist of doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists, nurses, and professional therapists on site.

Never ever I have heard of "kidnapping" or handcuffing kids o_O

Sorry folks,
this is madness !!!!!!

JMO

Yes, listed as founder and owner. Camp opened in 2008.
The camp is registered as an LLC so if sued the owner(s) personal assets are protected.

Owners of an LLC are called members. Most states do not restrict ownership, so members may include individuals, corporations, other LLCs and foreign entities.
3 months ago
Limited Liability Company (LLC) | Internal Revenue Service

IRS (.gov)

Related Companies:
Runner Holdings LLC, Sunset View Holdings LLC, Kira Holdings LLC, Lumalite Holdings Inc, M & M Holdings Ltd
About:
Trails Nc Holdings LLC is a company that operates in the Financial Services industry. It employs 51-100 people and has $10M-$25M of revenue. The company is headquartered in Logan, Utah.

The camp is registered as an LLC so if sued the owner(s) personal assets are protected.

Owners of an LLC are called members. Most states do not restrict ownership, so members may include individuals, corporations, other LLCs and foreign entities.
3 months ago
Limited Liability Company (LLC) | Internal Revenue Service
IRS (.gov)
Yeah, I get the personal protection aspect, I just found it a bit disingenuous for the website to make it appear like this is some cozy camp owned by one person dedicated to helping parents and children in crisis.

The truth is that it’s just another big business out to profit from the troubled teens industry.
MOO

soa-letter-trails-carolina-02162024-finaldoc-1-p1-normal.gif

soa-letter-trails-carolina-02162024-finaldoc-1-p2-normal.gif

???
It was reported earlier that all the kids had to leave and were housed temporarily with CPS(?) and parents were notified,
This letter is same old as when they were served with the warrant.
No new admissions..suspended.

Unless I'm reading it wrong and the kids are gone and it's kaput for the camp now having kids there?

???
It was reported earlier that all the kids had to leave and were housed temporarily with CPS(?) and parents were notified,
This letter is same old as when they were served with the warrant.
No new admissions..suspended.

Unless I'm reading it wrong and the kids are gone and it's kaput for the camp now having kids there?
The letter has Todays date.

This suspends new admissions or readmits until April 14, 2024 (60 days), unless extended.
They will have 60 days to correct any deficiency, of corrected they resume admissions. If not, the Board will take further action.

This does NOT... Close the camp.

The camp's version.
Lots in the article.

"Previously undisclosed by the Sheriff was the illegal and unauthorized removal of four young boys, ages 10-12, on the evening of Feb. 6. The boys were detained at the Sheriff’s Office until 1 a.m. Parents called the Sheriff to prevent the infliction of further trauma on the boys, who had not yet been informed of the tragedy. Parents were lied to as the Sheriff stated he did have not custody of the children, and the children were not on the premises"

I can't find any comparison with how an adult handles a panic attack and what this child experienced up until and when the claimed panic attack occurred.

Yes this is important. Panic attacks are different for everyone, but comparing an adult in a similar situation to a child is not fair or appropriate.

There is a reason this camp caters to kids 10 - 17. Realistically, the only mental health component that's different between a 17 year old and an 18 year old is that the 18 year old can say get bent and walk out whereas the 17 year old can be held against their will.

JMO

The letter has Todays date.

This suspends new admissions or readmits until April 14, 2024 (60 days), unless extended.
They will have 60 days to correct any deficiency, of corrected they resume admissions. If not, the Board will take further action.

This does NOT... Close the camp.

Ok. And that sits heavily with me and other posters who would never think of submitting our kids or anyone else's to such a process.

A boy died, 12 y old small boy, under investigation.

Of course the camp should not be open

Wow, I skipped this one, thinking it was earlier in the week and it's a BLOCKBUSTER!!!

Mighty powerful statement from the camp. Stating the state does not have enough deficiencies, to close the facility. The state threaten to take custody of the kids, and the parents called them on it and won. WOW

I'm betting there's a whole lot of high dollar attorneys representing these children and parents.

I thought this may have been the case all week when the media did not print the letters backing up the quotes from the state. I spend the best part of two days, searching the origin and original documents, for the closer. Even emailed the reporter... crickets.

The state should have the deficiency report of the investigation this week posted in the next few days. Then we can see what was found. It wouldn't be about the death, but any areas the camp is not meeting state law/guidelines. It will also have results of campers the state interviewed.

moo

Wow, I skipped this one, thinking it was earlier in the week and it's a BLOCKBUSTER!!!

Mighty powerful statement from the camp. Stating the state does not have enough deficiencies, to close the facility. The state threaten to take custody of the kids, and the parents called them on it and won. WOW

I'm betting there's a whole lot of high dollar attorneys representing these children and parents.

I thought this may have been the case all week when the media did not print the letters backing up the quotes from the state. I spend the best part of two days, searching the origin and original documents, for the closer. Even emailed the reporter... crickets.

The state should have the deficiency report of the investigation this week posted in the next few days. Then we can see what was found. It wouldn't be about the death, but any areas the camp is not meeting state law/guidelines. It will also have results of campers the state interviewed.

moo
Post where it says the "parent's won," cause I don't see it.
I did see this..highlighted.

No need to close the camp if there are no kids there and as far as their license goes with no kids there it's a moot point and that will be revisited after the investigation is complete if need be.

"The impact of the State’s reckless actions is far-reaching. The 18 vulnerable children forced to leave a safe healing space against their parents' wishes have suffered permanent, serious and unnecessary harm. There are limited places where parents can turn to find the necessary care for severe mental health diagnoses and complex treatment; this is a tragic and unnecessary loss for parents, children, and 75+ staff members who have poured their heart and soul into helping kids.

The Sheriff and DHHS likely did not have the evidence to close the program and take its license through appropriate and generally accepted judicial review. Calling and intimidating parents to pick up their children was an attempt to achieve their nefarious goal while avoiding fair and appropriate due process with full factual disclosures.

Trails Carolina

Looking at the warrant.

Why was the bivy alarm covered with green tape? I'm thinking it was disabled, and the zipper heads fixed in place.

And, the person inside it can't open it... See: "we would open and close the bivy". The interviewee said the child could exit the bivy at any time. But Note: nowhere does it say that the child could freely operate the zipper and get out. The wording could just mean the counselors could let him out if he asked.

IMO this is very manipulative word salad. I can only conclude they zipped him in that thing and wouldn't unzip it when he had a panic attack and needed out.
Also, doesn't the evidence of petechiae indicate someone sitting on him or laying across him, restricting his breathing ?
Omo.

The camp's version.
Lots in the article.

"Previously undisclosed by the Sheriff was the illegal and unauthorized removal of four young boys, ages 10-12, on the evening of Feb. 6. The boys were detained at the Sheriff’s Office until 1 a.m. Parents called the Sheriff to prevent the infliction of further trauma on the boys, who had not yet been informed of the tragedy. Parents were lied to as the Sheriff stated he did have not custody of the children, and the children were not on the premises"
I noticed the article did NOT include the link to the parents comments.

Moo, the camp would not issue any statement with out attorney approval. To accuse LE, publicly to the media, I'm pretty confident, this did happen.

If, the Sheriff did remove the children, question them with out parental consent or being offered an attorney, and lied to the parents. It ain't gonna be pretty. He broke the law, yup.

Moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharlafields
Back