NC - 12-year-old dies at Trails Carolina wilderness therapy camp, Lake Toxaway, February 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It would seem very probable to me that ALL the kids in those programs have mental health challenges, behavioral issues, or emotional struggles. It's what those "camps" are for. Otherwise, you send your kids to regular camp.

I would say, kids who don't have trouble with severe issues might be okay with some kinds of deprivation (e.g. no showers) for extended periods in the name of fun. We certainly were, when I was at camp. It was a kind of group bonding thing, too. Also, there are groups of young people with State-run CCC's who go to wilderness locations for extended periods for e.g. for trail repair, and it's kind of a thing with them, too (those seem to be good programs, BTW). They get super dirty (no showers for weeks at a time, stinky, no laundry, etc) and very bonded IMO.

But IMO there's a limit to the challenges you'd want to present to already challenged kids. And they might not be able to bond with each other at all because they just can't with anyone. It would seem to me, letting them have showers every day, enjoying some hot water, and maybe clean clothes....then you can work on the other stuff. But inducing a huge amount of unnecessary discomfort, along with the discomfort of whatever the therapy camp imposes as far as treatment, is way too much. It's the least you can do to provide troubled kids with some creature comforts that provide basic human pleasure. I mean, why treat them like Neanderthals?

I assume this Carolina Trails camp doesn't use heated cabins (it's likely a summertime camp they lease in winter). Although it looks like a beautiful setting, it's bloody cold this time of year! And they've had WEATHER this year. Why, oh, why, would they impose this on troubled kids?

I stayed at a resort just a couple of miles down the road from Lake Toxaway for a long weekend a few years back, in early November. I was not aware of this camp's proximity at the time. I also can't find its location on Google Maps or Google Earth - in fact searching for Trails Carolina leads to a location in Asheville NC approximately 50 miles from the lake, presumably an administrative center. I find this seemingly deliberate lack of transparency/concealment of the actual camp property to be deceptive and a bit troubling.

I can say Lake Toxaway lies in in a very rural area, sparsely populated year-round aside from tiny hamlets, located in rugged terrain (the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains). Much of the surrounding territory is national or state park or forest land. Wildlife abounds, including bears, and it was freezing cold every night we were there. If these kids are out in the woods at night with just a tarp and their clothes for protection, that's not just deprivation - it's neglect and abuse. IMO it also demonstrates depraved indifference by the camp to the well-being of displaced and isolated troubled children who have been entrusted to the camp's care by their guardians, and thus have no agency to help themselves even if they could find their way to an adult who would assist them.

Last edited:
They administer the anti-psychotic meds in order to restrain them from taking out their aggression on staff. Hospital delirium can cause aggression in the form of hitting staff, trying to get out of bed. And it is way too common, imo.

For four days, our BIL's son and his mother asked for the doctor to call them. No call. It was a nurse who finally tipped off the son about the anti-psychotic meds. The doctor called the mother the morning the Dr. wanted to discharge BIL to a nursing rehab facility. By then, the mother knew her husband was on anti-psychotic drugs and demanded he be weaned off them prior to discharge. Did the doctor do it? Nope. I agree with you that it is elder abuse. His son's wife now makes sure that anti-psychotics are listed as "allergies" on his hospital chart. Dad and his wife now live in their home.

This case sounds like child abuse. We don't yet know all the facts, but I'm already disgusted by the fact that a child has lost his life, and the reasons make absolutely no sense.

JMO
Claiming that he's allergic to anti-psychotic drugs was a smart move.
I'm pleased that all ended well for him and his family.

I found a very concerning piece about the camp and medicating the kids.

I'm curious if the counselors had access to each kid's medications or had access to meds that were supplied the camp by an in house doctor?
With directions that they could use them when they thought it was needed.
Maybe the boy was keeping the counselors and other boys in the cabin awake and they wanted him quiet/asleep?

"In the summer of 2019, there were several more deficiencies listed concerning medications given to those staying at the camp. The document said, "Based on observation, record review and interviews the facility failed to implement procedures for the care and safety affecting 1 of 6 audited clients."

It went on to say, "Admissions office was responsible for following up with families to get physicians orders prior to arrival but admitted that didn't always happen."

This particular issue resulted in the possibility of penalties.
"These failures are detrimental to health, safety and welfare of the clients and constitute an imposed Type B rule violation. An administrative penalty of $200.00 per day is imposed for failure to correct within 45th days," the document said.

And in March 2019, a survey of Trails Carolina revealed deficiencies, based on DHHS documents. Those involved records for the employees at the camp.

"Based on interviews and record review, the facility failed to develop and implement a treatment plan within 30 days of admission affecting 2 of 6 sampled clients," the document said.
The two final concerns in that document involved the administration of medications to those enrolled at the camp.

"Based on observation, record review and interviews the facility failed to ensure medications were administered as ordered, failed to ensure that all medications administered were ordered by a person authorized by law to prescribe drugs for 2 of 6 audited clients," the document said.
It went to say, "The facility failed to implement procedures for care and safety of clients affecting 1 of 6 audited clients."
In each case, Trails Carolina submitted a "plan of correction" following the report.'

But to flat out refuse DSS and cops access. How?
It is strange.

My only guess is that they could be citing privacy laws and perhaps that some kind of confidential / privileged relationship exists between the camp and some, or many children.

For example, camp provides psychological counciling. Thus.... some, or many kids are patients. Therefore, information is confidential- without a search warrant. Which.... could be hard to get.

[bbm]

wait are you saying they are used with the occupant trapped inside completely and the top closed?
I am suggesting a scenario for this case. It is speculation. As far as I can tell from the wording in the warrant, the child would be unable to get out of the bivy under his own power.

It is strange.

My only guess is that they could be citing privacy laws and perhaps that some kind of confidential / privileged relationship exists between the camp and some, or many children.

For example, camp provides psychological counciling. Thus.... some, or many kids are patients. Therefore, information is confidential- without a search warrant. Which.... could be hard to get.
As far as I know social workers are allowed to question a minor if they're concerned for the child's safety w/o parental/guardian approval.
Police can question a minor on public property without the consent of the parents/guardian.
Not so if they have your child at the police station or if they come to your home , parental approval is required.
When a child is found deceased that would certainly cause safety concerns for all the children under the same roof.

[bbm]

wait are you saying they are used with the occupant trapped inside completely and the top closed?
That is what I understood.
There were 2 poles, mind you.
Stretching the "roof" over the head.
I guess it is kind of net to allow air.
But one pole was on the ground.

The aim seems to be isolation.

JMO

As far as I know social workers are allowed to question a minor if they're concerned for the child's safety w/o parental/guardian approval.
Police can question a minor on public property without the consent of the parents/guardian.
Not so if they have your child at the police station or if they come to your home , parental approval is required.
When a child is found deceased that would certainly cause safety concerns for all the children under the same roof.
I agree with all the above.

In this case, however, the camp appears to be refusing to supply contact information. This could be due to something like:

- Sure, you can talk to them. But.... confidentiality laws prevent us from providing their names and contact information. So.... you are going to need to find that from another source- good luck, bye.

Last edited:
You don't need to be a lawyer to roll your eyes whenever an internal investigation's results are put forward as some kind of proof.
Lawyers always tell their clients to keep their mouths shut and let them do the talking.

And they were allowed to refuse police and DSs access to the children? After a child had died under suspicious circumstances the adults in charge could tell cops and the state child protection agency, oh no you're not talking to them. I could see them not asking the kids questions related to what was going on until after they had spoken to parents. But to flat out refuse DSS and cops access. How? A person like you or me would have been detained with no delay.
I'm so sorry
He lost his life.

Yeah, what's up with that?
Whadda y'all think about the idea that the staff might have replaced the child's sleeping bag before emergency personnel arrived? The odds are it was soiled. So, how about if they inserted him into a different one? Putting him in pants wouldn't have worked because of rigor mortis, and the child's legs were bent, but I'm thinking you could thread him into a clean sleeping bag. They could have cut soiled pants off, too, and simply put clean ones next to his head.

I hope LE searched that cabin thoroughly, including the trash, and trash bins on campus.
His pants being off bothers me a lot. I've never heard of a person stripping during a panic attack, and as far as I know, there is no accepted behavioral treatment that includes baring the private parts of a 12-year-old child.

Was it for ridicule? Did he soil himself? Was there foul play?

Whatever happened to that child likely has happened before.

And, now they're all covering for one another. Of course they want to keep it quiet -- the other parents will pull their kids out and there goes their money.

This just makes me sick.

I agree with all the above.

In this case, however, the camp appears to be refusing to supply contact information. This could be due to something like:

- Sure, you can talk to them. But.... confidentiality laws prevent us from providing their names and contact information. So.... you are going to need to find their names and contact information from another source. Good luck- bye.
I see, thanks.

Couldn't they have asked the kids for their parent's names and numbers?

JMO
On the bivy, it’s hard for me to know exactly what the warrant is describing. It sounds to me like one pole along one SIDE, with the rest of the fabric draped. That wouldn’t be a bivy. IMO the pole wouldn’t stand up by itself, either. Even if you could somehow rig the pole to stand up, this would require stakes or some kind of tie off. I did once have a tent with only one pole (loved it), and no way was it gonna ever stand up by itself. On a cabin floor, you would have to stake it TO THE FLOOR. I am actually quite suspicious that the “bivy” in this case was fastened to the floor.
You can have a tent with one pole that, when extended, makes a spider-looking pole, but IMO LE would have said this is what we have.
Note: any slack in a tent with one pole would be a recipe for suffocation, because the fabric would be caving in on you.
Technical bivvies with a pole would have the pole at one END.

I don’t think LE is using the term “bivy” without knowing what it is, unless the camp gave him the word. It’s not everyday vocabulary, and quite niche-y. And I’m still open to the idea that what the camp is calling a bivy is not a bivy at all, but some severe DIY restraint system.

On the bivy, it’s hard for me to know exactly what the warrant is describing. It sounds to me like one pole along one SIDE, with the rest of the fabric draped. That wouldn’t be a bivy. IMO the pole wouldn’t stand up by itself, either. Even if you could somehow rig the pole to stand up, this would require stakes or some kind of tie off. I did once have a tent with only one pole (loved it), and no way was it gonna ever stand up by itself. On a cabin floor, you would have to stake it TO THE FLOOR. I am actually quite suspicious that the “bivy” in this case was fastened to the floor.
You can have a tent with one pole that, when extended, makes a spider-looking pole, but IMO LE would have said this is what we have.
Note: any slack in a tent with one pole would be a recipe for suffocation, because the fabric would be caving in on you.
Technical bivvies with a pole would have the pole at one END.

I don’t think LE is using the term “bivy” without knowing what it is, unless the camp gave him the word. It’s not everyday vocabulary, and quite niche-y. And I’m still open to the idea that what the camp is calling a bivy is not a bivy at all, but some severe DIY restraint system.
I imagined something Iike this

1708010324965.png

JMO
The warrant indicates one pole.

“One side is collapsed, and the other side is held up by a flex pole.”

IMO the visuals of the bivy are super important in this case, because how the fabric drapes, how narrow the leg area, how the thing is set up, and how you get in and out, are key to what happened.

Last edited:
"Det. Gonee and Shook attempted to gain information on the other four juveniles that were in the bunk house along with CJH when he died. Trails Carolina staff refused to allow us to speak with any juveniles on sight, as well as see them. They also refused to give out any of the juveniles' names or date of births, or any other information as well," says the warrant.

Trails Carolina also declined a request from the Transylvania County Department of Social Services to "check on the welfare of the children as well," according to the affidavit.
[snip]
"Trails has conducted an internal investigation of this incident, and the Trails facility has been investigated by outside professionals who are subject-matter experts. Both investigations have concluded that there is no evidence that Trails failed to properly supervise, no evidence that Trails caused harm, and no evidence that conditions at Trails were unsafe or unhealthy," said Trails. "Speculation of any kind is inappropriate and disrespectful the family."
Staff Watched Boy, 12, Suffer Panic Attacks Before Death at Camp: Cops

So there were four other minors in the bunkhouse with CJH and the camp refused to allow LE to speak to or even set eyes any of them. Makes the fact that CJH was nude from waist down even more suspect IMO. No 12 year old is gonna be sleeping with his bottom half nude while he is wearing a t-shirt AND hoodie in an environment he doesn't want to be in with a bunch of strangers, including peers. PERIOD. JMO MOO

as to the statement by Trails that not only is their own internal investigation concluded but LE's is as well. I call BULL. I will wait to hear that from LE. IMO there is absolutely no way LE ahs concluded its investigation since they were hampered in even speaking to many of the persons who were present or have knowledge about the circumstances prior to CJH's death.

The more they CYA the more suspicious it makes me. They'd have been better off without issuing this sad attempt to rehab the optics they themselves have created in this situation.

I imagined something Iike this

View attachment 483428

See upthread for the posted photos. Also, LE says ONE POLE along one SIDE of the tent. This photo shows 2 poles at one END. Side versus end might be somewhat ambiguous if you saw a heap of fabric on the floor, but IMO I don’t think an LE witness would morph 2 poles into one.

“More waterproof than a bivy bag” in that description would be a nightmare inside a warm room, and a recipe for suffocation if you couldn’t get out, since the ad implies the fabric is impenetrable.

Last edited:
It is strange.

I also wonder if the camp has temporary power of attorney while the kids are there? Not sure how that would work.

So, I'm following up on @Dotta 's direction.

I think we can all notice in the warrant that the counselor-witness makes no sense when he's asked about how the zipper-alarm worked. What if we pay attention to the bivy language for a moment? The child was not actually in the bivy. He wasn't in a sleeping bag. Here's how he was found.

"Upon entering the structure they observed CJH laying in the floor of the bunk house on a mat."
The counselor describes the normal set up. Note: this is not a straightforward LE description. It is a witness description, at least in part. And, since the counselor is dodge-y about the lock, he might very well be dodge-y about the bivy.
Mr. Hunt then explained CJH's sleeping arrangements. He describe that CJH would have to sleep on the floor of the bunk house, the base layer of it is a heavy duty plastic that is cut approximately 6 feet and tied on each end with a string, on top of this is a sleeping Bivvy which is considered a small tent. One side is collapsed and the other side is held up by a flex pole.

Inside of this bivvy is where the sleeping bag is placed, and CJH would have to sleep like this on the first night per protocol of Trails Carolina.

LE does seem to have had a good look at the lock, but nowhere does it say he saw the bivy set up.

Note: none of any "bivy" examples posted or discussed so far are designed to be thrashed around in, e.g. if you're having a panic attack or being contrary. This would include a tent with one pole.

Also: I am open to the idea of @Dotta 's 2-pole bivy, if LE basically saw the stuff in a heap, rather than set up, which now seems kinda likely.

Last edited:

Agreed. I would certainly think so. If Child Protective Services were called to a home and found a child deceased in that manner, I think they would remove any remaining children from the home. I think that should have happened here as well.

"The FBI is doing some analysis for us on computers, on latops," Nicholson told the Citizen Times. The electronics were taken from the camp along with cell phones and personal belongings of the boy using a search warrant approved by a judge.

The search warrants described the boy as being found with foam coming from his mouth, a possible sign of having ingested poison.

"There can be a whole host of reasons why that would occur," Nicholson told the Citizen Times. "The more common would be the child ingests something that would be toxic to them."

The test results from the N.C. Medical Examiner's Office typically take "quite some time," the sheriff's spokesperson said when asked about a timeline.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grumpie13
Back