GUILTY NC - 2nd Lt. Holley Wimunc, 24, Fayetteville, 10 July 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's odd that John went back to the apartment and the gravesite after the fact to set fires.
It sounds to me like something didn't go as he had planned and he had no choice but to go back. The mutilation of her body was surely done to attempt to conceal incriminating evidence. But obviously authorities have enough evidence to charge him with the arson...the murder charge will come soon.

What is int he water at Camp LeJeuene?
First we have a pregnant female and her unborn child murdered and burned.
Then a pregnant female found dead in a motel room
Now another female found burned. And all of these events in recent months.
I would be interested to know a few things:
1) Were all three of these men POI's under the same cammand?
2) Did these three men know eachother somehow?
3) Is there some kind of training going on at this base that would make men go to this drastic measure? Meaning a tactic taught to the men for combat, or a tactic that is too stressful to deal with and they are not mentally fit after completing some kind of tactic training.

I just find it odd that there is a rash of female officers being slain, and all in the same area. If I was an investigator in these cases I would be looking into these things. Its just too odd.

http://onthescene.blogs.foxnews.com/author/jonathanserrie/

MONDAY 10:05 AM
The husband of missing Ft. Bragg soldier Holley Wimunc has been arrested and charged with first-degree arson in connection with last week’s fire at her apartment in Fayetteville, NC.
John Wimunc is a Marine stationed at Camp Lejeune. Authorities have also charged another Marine, 22-year-old Kyle Ryan Alden. Both are being held in the Cumberland County jail in Fayetteville, NC, near Ft. Bragg.

I am glad they charged him with Arson already and didn't let another slip through the cracks to Mexico! It is a start. At least they can hold him until they have enough evidence to get the murder charge.

I don't understand why he included the second man and what part he played in this. What a ! He ruined her life, his life and his buddy's.

C2, I doubt that any of that would apply to Cesar Laurean as far as training. He was a file clerk.

As far as this guy goes, surely he could see from Laurean's experience that this was a great way to get caught. He sounded obsessed with her according to what he wrote on his myspace and when it came down to it...he wasn't going to let her go. I doubt this had anything to do with training or stress. This has all the hallmarks of an abusive, selfish man who acted out of rage.

I wonder what his parents are going to say today. They can't believe in his innocence still...unless they are like Scott's parents. John's mother sounded so certain her boy couldn't do this.

What is int he water at Camp LeJeuene?
First we have a pregnant female and her unborn child murdered and burned.
Then a pregnant female found dead in a motel room
Now another female found burned. And all of these events in recent months.
I would be interested to know a few things:
1) Were all three of these men POI's under the same cammand?
2) Did these three men know eachother somehow?
3) Is there some kind of training going on at this base that would make men go to this drastic measure? Meaning a tactic taught to the men for combat, or a tactic that is too stressful to deal with and they are not mentally fit after completing some kind of tactic training.

I just find it odd that there is a rash of female officers being slain, and all in the same area. If I was an investigator in these cases I would be looking into these things. Its just too odd.

Yes, I agree with you - it's odd and if I were investigating it I'd definitely look for any common features!

The Military needs to take a hard look at protecting women. Maria and Holly both were dealing with the court system under their command yet they did nothing to protect them from their own. We can't forget the other woman found in the hotel room either. You would think the Military would have in place a specific plan to be able to keep these men away from the women if it meant keeping the men on base 24/7 to keep an eye on them. They have the capabilities to do this where as in the civilian realm, we don't.

Someone needs to slap that smirk off his face. Is it too much for these men to at least PRETEND to look sorry?

http://www.nbc17.com/midatlantic/ncn/news.apx.-content-articles-NCN-2008-07-13-0010.html

(snip)
Wimunc and Alden were arrested around 10 p.m. on base at Camp Lejeune

According to a statement on the arrest warrants, John is "a danger to himself and others and should also be considered a flight risk."

The arrest warrants also state that Alden "was untruthful about circumstances of the case and should be considered a flight risk." Alden also has prior criminal convictions.

The two men are expected to make their first court appearances Tuesday afternoon.

According to 2nd Marine Division Public Communication Team, Kyle Alden is with the 2nd Marine Division. No other information about Alden has been released.

I wonder what LE found around the grave?

http://onthescene.blogs.foxnews.com/author/jonathanserrie/

Here’s how the Onslow County Sheriff’s Office described the crime scene. Quoting from a press release:
“Once arriving at the location and viewing the scene and remains, it immediately became a flashback account of the Maria (Lauterbach) murder… Paraphernalia around the charred remains gave investigators strong suspicions this was the missing Army Lieutenant female missing from Fayetteville, North Carolina.”

Authorities said while they have yet to make a positive identification on the body, they informed the missing soldier’s family to “prevent them from being shocked by any media report that might indicate otherwise.”

The Military needs to take a hard look at protecting women. Maria and Holly both were dealing with the court system under their command yet they did nothing to protect them from their own. We can't forget the other woman found in the hotel room either. You would think the Military would have in place a specific plan to be able to keep these men away from the women if it meant keeping the men on base 24/7 to keep an eye on them. They have the capabilities to do this where as in the civilian realm, we don't.

While I can understand the outrage here at the military I do not believe there is an epidemic in the military when it comes to domestic homicide. The last stats I read said about 4 women a day in this country are murdered by someone close to them. Military domestic homicides are in the minority and much lower than those done in the population at large.

The honest truth we really know that ROs do nothing to protect victims. I am sure we all have heard of other tragic cases where a RO was found in the homicide victim's possession.

While this garners headline news because the perps and victims are in the military it does not represent the vast majority in the military who harm no one other than in battle.

I am saddened for all of these families and hope Megan Touma's murderer is also arrested soon and punished severely but I also am deeply saddened that a few Marines have tarnished the other 40,000 Marines there at CL who have done nothing wrong but are honorable and dedicated. We tend to sometimes lump them all in the same barrel, together "the military" when they are as individual as any of the rest of us in society.

imoo

While I can understand the outrage here at the military I do not believe there is an epidemic in the military when it comes to domestic homicide. The last stats I read said about 4 women a day in this country are murdered by someone close to them. Military domestic homicides are in the minority and much lower than those done in the population at large.

The honest truth we really know that ROs do nothing to protect victims. I am sure we all have heard of other tragic cases where a RO was found in the homicide victim's possession.

While this garners headline news because the perps and victims are in the military it does not represent the vast majority in the military who harm no one other than in battle.

I am saddened for all of these families and hope Megan Touma's murderer is also arrested soon and punished severely but I also am deeply saddened that a few Marines have tarnished the other 40,000 Marines there at CL who have done nothing wrong but are honorable and dedicated. We tend to sometimes lump them all in the same barrel, together "the military" when they are as individual as any of the rest of us in society.

imoo

Good post! :)

there has always been a problem with domestic violence in the service. from alcohol to drug problems to violence, the military loves to keep it under wraps. I've seen it up close and personal and yes there is a huge problem with misog. in the service always has been. most service hosp & drs will ask on form if you are being abused. In the civil world I have never encountered this question from my PCP. Never. Only in the military.
And they ask, because they know there is a problem. I'm so glad they were both arrested. If he was arrested for the arson; the murder will be next most likely. Im just glad to hear of an arrest so soon, her father must be just broken.

imoo
While this was a well written post and your point was taken, it didn't address the issue. Granted, a RO isn't worth the paper it is written on as long as no protection is offered to the victim.

In a military setting, you have people trained to handle situations to protect themselves and their fellow troops. You also have the aspect of them being trained to kill. I believe this is why the Military needs to step in to offer protection on a larger scale. The average person in a domestic dispute does not have such training and it escalates the risk to the Military spouse/partner. They have a larger responsibility to control their troops after they know there could be an issue of violence, imo.

there has always been a problem with domestic violence in the service. from alcohol to drug problems to violence, the military loves to keep it under wraps. I've seen it up close and personal and yes there is a huge problem with misog. in the service always has been. most service hosp & drs will ask on form if you are being abused. In the civil world I have never encountered this question from my PCP. Never. Only in the military.
And they ask, because they know there is a problem. I'm so glad they were both arrested. If he was arrested for the arson; the murder will be next most likely. Im just glad to hear of an arrest so soon, her father must be just broken.
I agree with your post about abuse and the military because I myself have seen it and know that there is pressure to keep it quiet. However, I have always been asked if I am a victim of domestic abuse at civilian hospitals and by civilian doctors. I figured that it was now a law that medical staff are required to ask this question.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ml202
Back