GUILTY NC - Addison Lanham, 2, dies from abuse, neglect, Gaston County, 21 July 2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks, JeannieC -- Well, you know, P.O. Ogg was just too busy -- plus, it didn't sound like this little 2 y/o girl was in imminent danger. So, he probably could look into it in a month or two -- maybe he thought he'd have more time. People sure can exaggerate this kind of stuff, you know...

So, IDK, looks like little Addison died from a case of "probable exaggeration estimation" to me.

And, by the way, what's with the charge of "Manslaughter" for those two? Voluntary Manslaughter, a Class D Felony, is nothing -- it can be as little as 38 months, and as much as 13 years, but the 13 years is for "aggravated" with maximum prior felony points which neither has -- and Involuntary Manslaughter, a Class F Felony, is less than nothing -- from 10 to 41 months (not years). Maddening.

Just a bump in the road. Call the next case. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

:banghead:.....:maddening:......
icon8.gif

[ all, JMHO ]

Just a LITTLE time for A LITTLE GIRL! IT MAKES ME SICK!

JeannieC - Your words above were so eloquent, passionate, and so horribly accurate. Ohh, my heart is sick and so very sad. No anger at this (short) moment -- just sad, sad, sad.
icon9.gif

Now the rage & frustration are coming back. Just such ignorance, selfishness, and total lack of caring. How could they?
icon8.gif
:maddening:

JeannieC - Your words above were so eloquent, passionate, and so horribly accurate. Ohh, my heart is sick and so very sad. No anger at this (short) moment -- just sad, sad, sad.
icon9.gif

Now the rage & frustration are coming back. Just such ignorance, selfishness, and total lack of caring. How could they?
icon8.gif
:maddening:

Everytime I hear about a child abused, abandoned, or murdered I think, "I would have taken her or him."

I honestly believe we need to rethink the way we as a society handle child abuse. Many times its a knee jerk reaction that a parent or caregiver has and we all know the results.

Other times its an ongoing thing and no one is there for that child.

We had the AIDS Quilt that went around the world and it brought attention to the problem. Maybe we need to begin one for murdered children.

I don't believe most people are aware of how widespread it is. We only hear about the worst ones. The most shocking murders. People need to hear about each and every one of them.

Little people are people and their death should be treated the same as an adult death. Manslaughter .................NO! CHILD MURDER!

(a4) A parent or any other person providing care to or supervision of a child less than 16 years of age whose willful act or grossly negligent omission in the care of the child shows a reckless disregard for human life is guilty of a Class E felony if the act or omission results in serious bodily injury to the child.
[http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_14/gs_14-318.4.html ]

This Class E felony runs from 15-- 74 month. Again, nothing. And again neither Shanna or the boyfriend would qualify for the 74-months, since their felony points are either non-existent or too low.

Again, these sentences are so minute..... they will be uncomfortable, scary, and unsafe, but nothing to compare with what that little girl suffered before & during her final days...

I do think she in in Her Master's arms and is laughing and giggling that little-girl giggle and happy and not scared at any time now. The brightness of her smile will make Heaven even brighter.

Alas, there are too many Little Angels in heaven.

And so to bed....

Keep the faith, Jeannie -- tomorrow is nearly here!

(a4) A parent or any other person providing care to or supervision of a child less than 16 years of age whose willful act or grossly negligent omission in the care of the child shows a reckless disregard for human life is guilty of a Class E felony if the act or omission results in serious bodily injury to the child.
[http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_14/gs_14-318.4.html ]

This Class E felony runs from 15-- 74 month. Again, nothing. And again neither Shanna or the boyfriend would qualify for the 74-months, since their felony points are either non-existent or too low.

Again, these sentences are so minute..... they will be uncomfortable, scary, and unsafe, but nothing to compare with what that little girl suffered before & during her final days...

I do think she in in Her Master's arms and is laughing and giggling that little-girl giggle and happy and not scared at any time now. The brightness of her smile will make Heaven even brighter.

Alas, there are too many Little Angels in heaven.

And so to bed....

Keep the faith, Jeannie -- tomorrow is nearly here!

Very beautifully stated. Thank you. Good Night.

[GASTON COUNTY, N.C. -- New charges were filed Thursday against a Gaston County mother and her boyfriend after the woman's two-year-old daughter died in July.

Gaston County Police charged Shanna Lanham and her boyfriend, Jason Wells, with second degree murder in the death of Addision LanhamB]Mother, boyfriend face murder charges in toddler's death [/B]

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Moth...der-charges-in-toddlers-death--129517238.html

[GASTON COUNTY, N.C. -- New charges were filed Thursday against a Gaston County mother and her boyfriend after the woman's two-year-old daughter died in July.

Gaston County Police charged Shanna Lanham and her boyfriend, Jason Wells, with second degree murder in the death of Addision LanhamB]Mother, boyfriend face murder charges in toddler's death [/B]

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Moth...der-charges-in-toddlers-death--129517238.html

Took em long enough. Now give them both the max on all charges. Please.

Thank God they have now been charged with MURDER!!!

From the articles, there is no way the mother didn't know he was an SO, as well as the family warning her, she stood by his side when he was convicted of the sex offense. Disgusting.
I have such a hard time thinking of everything that was done to her and everything that should have been done for her and was not. To me, the mother sounds more concerned with making sure that her excuses for all the injuries are recorded than she is worried about making sure someone actually gets there to take care of her daughter. She keeps it together pretty while while detailing these horrible injuries and illnesses of her child, because her attention is diverted from sobbing and sniffling. She was more worried about herself and the live in than she was her daughter, even at that point.

Everytime I hear about a child abused, abandoned, or murdered I think, "I would have taken her or him."

I honestly believe we need to rethink the way we as a society handle child abuse. Many times its a knee jerk reaction that a parent or caregiver has and we all know the results.

Other times its an ongoing thing and no one is there for that child.

We had the AIDS Quilt that went around the world and it brought attention to the problem. Maybe we need to begin one for murdered children.

I don't believe most people are aware of how widespread it is. We only hear about the worst ones. The most shocking murders. People need to hear about each and every one of them.

Little people are people and their death should be treated the same as an adult death. Manslaughter .................NO! CHILD MURDER!

BBM (Doing some re-reading here, to refresh myself since they have been in the news again; 2nd degree murder is an improvement... could range from 7 to about 15 years....)

Your idea about a quilt is excellent, JeannieC! That is one of the reasons the AIDS quilt was put together & shown as a whole. When the Names Project found out how many panels had been created, they realized what a display could do to raise awareness and donations. (I lost a couple of good friends to AIDS, so I was involved in some AIDS care & awareness groups.)

When they brought the quilt to Washington DC, in 1987, it had 1,920 panels which were each 3' x 6' -- the quilt was bigger than a football field. Then the Quilt went on tour and raised money and gained enuff quilts to total 6,000.

After many tours and so many more deaths, the Quilt now has over 44,000 panels and has raised over $3 million for AIDS service organizations throughout North America. And that's a group of people that, regrettably and unfairly, not everyone would lay claim. Just think about little children.

So, from little acorns, mighty oaks can certainly grow. Hmmmmm.

And you're so right -- until folks are personally affected by the death of a child due to abuse or neglect, or unless they know someone who works in a related field and care to hear about it, or folks like us, they just have no idea how often it occurs. Children have such small, small voices..

BBM (Doing some re-reading here, to refresh myself since they have been in the news again; 2nd degree murder is an improvement... could range from 7 to about 15 years....)

Your idea about a quilt is excellent, JeannieC! That is one of the reasons the AIDS quilt was put together & shown as a whole. When the Names Project found out how many panels had been created, they realized what a display could do to raise awareness and donations. (I lost a couple of good friends to AIDS, so I was involved in some AIDS care & awareness groups.)

When they brought the quilt to Washington DC, in 1987, it had 1,920 panels which were each 3' x 6' -- the quilt was bigger than a football field. Then the Quilt went on tour and raised money and gained enuff quilts to total 6,000.

After many tours and so many more deaths, the Quilt now has over 44,000 panels and has raised over $3 million for AIDS service organizations throughout North America. And that's a group of people that, regrettably and unfairly, not everyone would lay claim. Just think about little children.

So, from little acorns, mighty oaks can certainly grow. Hmmmmm.

And you're so right -- until folks are personally affected by the death of a child due to abuse or neglect, or unless they know someone who works in a related field and care to hear about it, or folks like us, they just have no idea how often it occurs. Children have such small, small voices..

Like you I had friends and children of friends who have died of Aids. That is what made me think of the quilt.

Yesterday another 2 year old died near me. A little boy. Demytre Rashaad Pendleton, Jr. A male friend of the mother has been arrested for murder. I can't help but cry when I type this. The child had been taken to the hospital a week ago with a head injury. Mom said he fell. They released him and one week later he is dead.

This makes me want to scream!

I really believe the quilt would do some good. Raise awareness. Make the penalty for child abuse a lot stiffer punishment.

Make single Moms more aware of the people they bring around their children, the people they leave their children with.

I need to find out how to get this started. Maybe make a few squares then present the idea. I've thought about getting some of the quilting groups to pitch in. We have several around here. Never know, it might catch on.

If you have any ideas please feel free to send me a message or several.

Thanks

Hi, JeannieC -- I saw an article about little Demytre -- 2 y/o and dead before he can even say his ABCs. Oh, my soul. Another Tiny Angel. I saw, too, that James Cleveland has been charged. So you are at least familiar with the area/neighborhood? Shiver.

There should probably be a forum for Demytre, too. For all of them. Like quilts.

Spouses killing spouses is one thing -- Some "he said, she said," and while some of those abuses and/or murders seem pretty clear cut, not all do. Running around on one's spouse; being abused & then killing the abuser; imminent divorce & alimony/child support; spending too much money; large insurance payoff... We've seen 'em all, and there's often not a sure, sure bet who the victim and "victimizer" are, but in these many child abuse/murder situations, it is always obvious who the victim is. That's never a mystery or point of discussion.

Well, maybe others will read our comments about the quilts and think about what they can do.

My church has a quilting group. I am not in it since I am totally inept in those arts. I can barely hem a pair of pajama pants (I dare to do those once every 5 years or so since they don't go outside & nobody sees 'em...) But anyway there's a handful of mostly women who do belong to a quilting group and the quilts are given to usually members who are going/have recently gone thru a death in the family or are recovering from a serious illness or treatment. So an Angel Quilt (or whatever name) wouldn't be that far out at all.

Yeah, we need to think about this & see what we hear from others.

I lived in Charlotte years ago and know the area. I'm not too far from Charlotte now.

I agree about a thread for Demytre. I haven't been able to find anything about his family. Its mostly about the alleged child murderer. I'll check and if you haven't started one I will.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/16208755/...ng-daughter-set-to-appear-in-court?hpt=ju_bn4

Jason Michael Wells
between 10-13 years in prison.

The child's mother, Shanna Dawn Lanham, 32, also agreed to a plea deal on the charge of second degree murder. She was sentenced to 108 to 139 months

Addision died from a sepsis infection July 21. Investigators say the girl also had a broken leg that had been untreated for more than a week.

Thanks for the update. I believe there is a post on this story already.

i live in Gastonia and sorry i'm repeating what was on the news and not sure if it was posted online. i can't believe this @!#$@#! was given such a light sentence. a kicker is that she was reported as saying (i believe before she was arrested) that its okay, she makes beautiful babies and can make another one. ggggrrrr i wish they could sterilize someone like this!!!

I literally threw up reading this this morning. Ten years? Really? REALLY?? Come ON already - I want to pummel this DA. They will get out in what, 5 years? Animals released back into society to hurt more helpless children who can't do a single thing to defend themselves - they are raped and murdered by their mother's boyfriends while they allow it. I'm SO MAD, ENOUGH! Take this b*** and her waste of human DNA and drop them off in shark infested waters, NO ONE will care. Jesus, as much as I do this, as many stories as I post and try to raise awareness, it never gets easier to hear that baby crying in my head. Please, as hard as it is to tell and as much as people say they don't want to hear it, make them listen, make them look around and into a child's eyes that might be crying for help. Four a day are killed by their parents - and the parents are from every walk of life.

http://www.shelbystar.com/articles/addison-60559-death-toddler.html

"Lanham and her former boyfriend, Jason Wells, each accepted a plea offer that will land them in prison for about a decade."

The worst part of this whole case for me was that the child's family had been calling and calling cps, telling them that the child was living with a RSO and that the mother was negligent. It's completely appalling.

How is it that the former Gov. of Illinois can be sentenced to 14 years and prison, and these scumbags get less? This is truly messed up!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required
Back