NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be wrong, but IMHO,I kinda feel like the shirt and possibly some of the other unknown contents of the bag, are trophies from other previous victims. I think that's why maybe they're still being tight lipped about all of it, why they're still convening the task force regularly to meet on Asha, and why two decades later, they're still actively pursuing it, rather than letting it fall to the wayside as many other cases have done.
I agree.

The whole thing has elements of a bizarre treasure hunt, like a game or puzzle whose purpose is to lead or mislead the investigation.
If that is the case, who might most be inclined towards those activities? imo.

I cant shake the picture found in the shed of a girl Ashas age among the hair bow, markers, and candy wrappers.
To me, that is important..
Why was that there?
Apparently, no one recognized the pic of someone that Asha knew?
To me, its among the mystery items like the NKOTB nightgown. Also, I dont think that pic was ever released to the public..why??

I might be wrong, but IMHO,I kinda feel like the shirt and possibly some of the other unknown contents of the bag, are trophies from other previous victims. I think that's why maybe they're still being tight lipped about all of it, why they're still convening the task force regularly to meet on Asha, and why two decades later, they're still actively pursuing it, rather than letting it fall to the wayside as many other cases have done.
I thought the book was from Asha's school library, wasn't it? I don't know about the shirt obviously, but the book could have been Asha's

Yes, I read too that the book was from Ashas school...
I'm not sure why LE thought it was NOT originally in the bookbag she packed (?)

Yes, I read too that the book was from Ashas school...
I'm not sure why LE thought it was NOT originally in the bookbag she packed (?)
I need to find a source for this, but I believe they weren't able to confirm who had checked the book out because the school had gotten rid of the library records by that point. IMO her parents wouldn't necessarily know if/what book Asha could have checked out from the library at any given point, no matter how... on top of things... they were. MOO

Rhibread..I totally agree!
Also, was the NKOTB nightgown manufactured before or after her disappearance?
If before, she was at a slumber party right before she disappeared..she could have been given that there and put it in the bookbag.

My question is, why was there no real mention of the family preparing to sell their house until recently? I don't see the meeting with a realtor mentioned in early reports, but it feels relevant to me as a possible trigger for Asha to potentially have run away or something IMO

Rhibread..I totally agree!
Also, was the NKOTB nightgown manufactured before or after her disappearance?
If before, she was at a slumber party right before she disappeared..she could have been given that there and put it in the bookbag.

Looks very 90s to me lol

It's tour merch from either the Magic Summer Tour in 1990 or Hangin Tough Tour in 1988? I think

Attachments

• nkotb-asha-charlotte.jpg
    nkotb-asha-charlotte.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 18
Rhibread...I'm thinking 90s too! Oh my..LOL
So why couldn't this be connected to the slumber party..or at least put into the bag by Asha herself!?
annpats..great find!! So who is this girl? She would be an adult today...no mention if she was ID.
If not, they should put that pic out there today. See if she comes forward.

I think it would be a good idea for LE in Ashas hometown and surrounding areas to put that pic on billboards asking the public if they recognize her. She herself might come forward.
Also, I think it's very possible the nightgown and book was packed by Asha.
But the pic is a bit baffling.

My question is, why was there no real mention of the family preparing to sell their house until recently? I don't see the meeting with a realtor mentioned in early reports, but it feels relevant to me as a possible trigger for Asha to potentially have run away or something IMO

Is it known how far along the family was in the process of selling their house? I saw that they decided to stay after Asha disappeared, but if there was an open house or visits by prospective buyers, that could be significant. The Golden State Killer/East Area Rapist, Joseph J DeAngelo, used open houses and visits with realtors as a method to select and target the residents.

No marks on the semi-trailers, they have been there for a very long time. I have tried to check and see if there was a business there but gonna have to do some more snooping. Around here people use the trailers for storage because they are quick, simple and cheap than building a new building and can be resold if need be. My uncle stored his antiques in them, heck I am building a house in one. (There is also a house that is falling down near the trailers too.) When I am up I will stop by and take pictures and or see if I can screenshot one from maps.
I noticed in the newspaper photos of the shed with the woman pointing at the spot items found that nothing in the shed looked disturbed. There was furniture, barrels, equipment piled high. I wondered if the shed had been thoroughly searched?
Also it was raining or high winds that night so if no footprints in mud or any sign of someone actually disturbing the area is it possible the items blew in that area?

LONG POST ALERT* So many things about this case perplex me & I have read a lot of inconsistencies over last few month which could be a result of unreliable sources.
The timeline is what I keep coming back to. The articles from Shelby newspaper in days around her disappearance don't mention things that to ME seem important details to omit:
The power outtage duration & all areas impacted.
The father's trip to get candy for valentines day/anniversary has been said to be around 11-11:30.
Those 2 pieces stand out because its reported that Asha had already taken a nap in early evening (tired from staying up night before, went to church, visited fam then home). She woke up & joined parents to watch around 8? Then sent to bed about an hour later due to power off. It's quite possible she wasn't sleepy enough to go to bed for the night having taken a nap. She could have gotten back up for a snack or to watch TV while father was at the store? It wasn't clear whether mom was awake while he was at the store.
It's also Sunday at 11:30 pm in rural area, and a power outtage...how far did the father travel to find an open store for candy? Other than a gas station or Walmart/CVS type store what was open? Did he lock the door behind him? Its not necessarily odd to go get candy on a late stormy Sunday if your anniversary/Valentines day is in the morning. But it's the only time period we know that someone left & returned during the outtage leaving the home "vulnerable" if everyone else is supposed to be in bed. If other residents power was also out is it possible someone was using opportunity to prowl? If she got up & encountered someone in the house while father was gone ...
Yes I know he said he checked on the kids after he returned (reports say about hour later) then power restored around midnight-12:30am. But did he SEE her when he checked? It would make sense for him to check on kids again if door wasn't locked or if any indication someone had been up. Usually if you just sent them to bed & another parent in the house a parent is usually looking in to be sure they aren't awake (listen for noise) versus doing an actual physical bed check. This is reported to be around 2:30am...few hours after returning from the store. IF he was accurate about the time based on a watch or what program was on TV then brother hearing her get up shortly after means she got up in the dark, didn't turn on lights or make noise got dressed & grabbed items, unlocked doors left in cold with no coat in February after 2:30am-5:45am.
That troubles me. Normal family routine vs circumstances of this night. It's Valentines day AND her parents anniversary.
Had she planned to get herself up & out early and misjudged the time? Did they typically meet up with friends on way to school to walk a bit together?
It's not that "adventurous" for a kid to move around if it's their routine to be up early, get themselves ready & walk a familiar route even if you aren't supposed to do it alone. That time of year it can be dark out as late as 7am...
The fact her key is gone.
The assumption is that SHE had it.
I lost my housekey all the time. There was no school Friday...so the last time she used it was? That's an important question. When was SHE last seen with/used HER key. Could someone had used it to get in her home that knew it belongs to her?

I'm not insinuating parents had anything to do with it (though stranger things have happened) but the entire night wasn't he usual routine so normal habits & assumptions can 'cloud" memory of timelines & small details like if doors locked or unlocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018