NC NC - Beverly Jaye Potter Mintz, 23, Raped/throat slit in front of her 2yo, Leland, 23 Feb 1987

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I hope something is in motion with this case. Certainly talking to the people who were close by at the time couldn’t hurt. I’m still hanging on to a DNA miracle dream.
If you take a look at justice for jaye Facebook page, there is someone has made a comment saying she saw a vehicle leaving the crime scene? Apparently, she called police department they would not take it serious.

I hope something is in motion with this case. Certainly talking to the people who were close by at the time couldn’t hurt. I’m still hanging on to a DNA miracle dream.
If you take a look at justice for jaye Facebook page, there is someone has made a comment saying she saw a vehicle leaving the crime scene? Apparently, she called police department they would not take it serious.
The vehicle theory is good. It would have made easier for him to come , commit the murder and flee, not being noted by people around.
If you take a look at justice for jaye Facebook page, there is someone has made a comment, saying what if if she saw something 30 odd years ago, she remembers now she thinks it's relevant, she says she might seen a vehicle leaving the crime scene? Apparently she contacted the police but they didn't take it serious.
It's on the comments, which is underbirthday wishes from last year

If you take a look at justice for jaye Facebook page, there is someone has made a comment, saying what if if she saw something 30 odd years ago, she remembers now she thinks it's relevant, she says she might seen a vehicle leaving the crime scene? Apparently she contacted the police but they didn't take it serious.
It's on the comments, which is underbirthday wishes from last year

It makes sense that the killer probably had a vehicle. I still don’t get how people were working right there and didn’t notice anything. I’m not saying the workers were involved, I just know that little goes unnoticed in a small southern towns.

Wow, can't believe this has not been solved. I live very near the crime scene. The house is no longer there.
Do you happen to know when the house was torn down? I've lived in Leland almost all of my life and the house just looks so familiar but I'm not sure of where it was.

Do you happen to know when the house was torn down? I've lived in Leland almost all of my life and the house just looks so familiar but I'm not sure of where it was.

I think the address is floating in one of these reports linked. Welcome to the site and im glad to have someone who knows the local area in this discussion.

QUOTE="discoballin, post: 17548955, member: 305364"]Do you happen to know when the house was torn down? I've lived in Leland almost all of my life and the house just looks so familiar but I'm not sure of where it was.[/QUOTE]

I think the address is floating in one of these reports linked. Welcome to the site and im glad to have someone who knows the local area in this discussion.
It was on Village road off Dresser Lane. I've seen the full address before and am trying to locate it

Last edited:
Interesting! Leland wasn't even incorporated at the time of Jaye's murder

"The Town was incorporated in 1989. Each year, the Town celebrates its incorporation with the Founders' Day celebration on the second Saturday of September."

History of Leland

Last edited:
QUOTE="discoballin, post: 17548955, member: 305364"]Do you happen to know when the house was torn down? I've lived in Leland almost all of my life and the house just looks so familiar but I'm not sure of where it was.

It was on Village road off Dresser Lane. I've seen the full address before and am trying to locate it[/QUOTE]
Oh! I know exactly where that is located! It's near the Leland Habitat for Humanity and town hall.

Who Killed Beverly Jaye Potter Mintz? Nearly Three Decades Later, Murder Remains Unsolved
"Lorene Potter ran from her daughter's blood-spattered bedroom in Leland, N.C. on Feb. 23, 1987, her grandson held tightly in her arms.

"Mean man hurt Mommy, Mommy cry," he had said when she scooped him up and fled through the rear door, Potter later told her family. He was just a day shy of his second birthday.

Potter ran to the florist shop next door. The florist called 911 and before long, multiple patrol cruisers with the Brunswick County Sheriff's Office lined the driveway leading up to the Village Road home of 23-year-old Beverly Jaye Potter Mintz. A forensics team and agents from the State Bureau of Investigation soon joined the officers.

"It was a very violent, brutal, and chaotic scene," Tony Cummings, a retired investigator with the State Bureau of Investigation, told The Huffington Post on Wednesday."

"Godwin, the criminal investigative psychologist, disagrees.
"I believe the individual had been stalking her," he said. "The person was comfortable watching the house and going in. He knew there was not an adult male in the home, so he had to be watching."

Godwin added, "The newspaper ad could be a ruse left at the crime scene to taunt [investigators]."

For Braswell, Godwin's theory makes the most sense.

"She had started receiving strange calls every so often before she was killed,5
rbbm.
Three decades later, murder of North Carolina mother remains unsolved
Feb. 26, 2021,
By Andrea Cavallier
''Jill told Dateline her sister was recently separated from her husband, who was stationed in Germany at the time of her murder. Jaye got a job as a waitress at a restaurant in nearby Wilmington and had started dating again.''

''A few months before Jaye’s murder, her cousin, Angela, moved into the house in Leland with her young daughter. Angela told Dateline Jaye received unwanted attention from several admirers around that time.

There was a man who would write “I love you, Jaye” in the gravel drive of their house. And the man who left a single red rose for her at the restaurant where she worked.
But Jaye, with her quiet demeanor, was always kind to them.

''But when the strange calls started, Angela was concerned. She said the calls began after Jaye placed the ad for the waterbed. The calls would be sexual in nature and the caller would taunt both Jaye and Angela, depending on who answered.

About a week before Jaye’s murder, Angela walked by her room and noticed that she seemed upset.

She was lying on her bed and I asked her if everything was OK,” Angela explained. “She told me she had a dream about a strange man trying to kill her. After she was killed, I couldn’t shake what she said. It’s like she knew something was about to happen.”
Tomorrow is the day, 23 February that she was murdered.. Please light a candle if you can
" Braswell said. "The calls always came after she got home and the person would hang up, so that's another reason we are thinking somebody was watching her."

While the two men disagree on the killer's modus operandi, they do both believe the killer is an experienced criminal, who left the Mintz's son alive because he was confident the child would not be able to identify him.

The killer, both men said, also slid in and out of the home during a short window of opportunity, without anyone taking notice.

"It is one of the things that stands out the most," Godwin said."

Tomorrow, 23 rd of February, its the day that beverley jaye potter mintz was murdered in leland, NC in 1987,almost a decade,please share your thoughts to remember her on this day

rbbm.
Three decades later, murder of North Carolina mother remains unsolved
Feb. 26, 2021,
By Andrea Cavallier
''Jill told Dateline her sister was recently separated from her husband, who was stationed in Germany at the time of her murder. Jaye got a job as a waitress at a restaurant in nearby Wilmington and had started dating again.''

''A few months before Jaye’s murder, her cousin, Angela, moved into the house in Leland with her young daughter. Angela told Dateline Jaye received unwanted attention from several admirers around that time.

There was a man who would write “I love you, Jaye” in the gravel drive of their house. And the man who left a single red rose for her at the restaurant where she worked.
But Jaye, with her quiet demeanor, was always kind to them.

''But when the strange calls started, Angela was concerned. She said the calls began after Jaye placed the ad for the waterbed. The calls would be sexual in nature and the caller would taunt both Jaye and Angela, depending on who answered.

About a week before Jaye’s murder, Angela walked by her room and noticed that she seemed upset.

She was lying on her bed and I asked her if everything was OK,” Angela explained. “She told me she had a dream about a strange man trying to kill her. After she was killed, I couldn’t shake what she said. It’s like she knew something was about to happen.”
I just find difficult to understand how an almost 2 year old baby could say, his mother looked into the peephole, could not see anybody? Can anyone share thoughts on this please

1677107928562.png

1677107821532.png

''Jaye’s youngest son, Andrew, just a day shy of turning two, was at home during the ordeal, but was not harmed. Her other son, who was four years old, was with another grandmother at the time.

"All he could tell me is ‘Mean man hurt Mommy. Mommy cry,’” Lorene told WECT. "He didn't know she was dead. He thought she was coming back."

''There was a man who would write “I love you, Jaye” in the gravel drive of their house. And the man who left a single red rose for her at the restaurant where she worked. But Jaye, with her quiet demeanor, was always kind to them.

But when the strange calls started, Angela was concerned. She said the calls began after Jaye placed the ad for the waterbed. The calls would be sexual in nature and the caller would taunt both Jaye and Angela, depending on who answered.

“She was lying on her bed and I asked her if everything was OK,” Angela explained. “She told me she had a dream about a strange man trying to kill her. After she was killed, I couldn’t shake what she said. It’s like she knew something was about to happen.”

This article is from 2018, surely there must be some answers by now, imo.
''Doncourt said they are working with a lab that does phenotyping.

“They take DNA, they feed it into a computer and if you have a suspect’s DNA, it will a facial approximation of what that suspect looks like,” Doncourt said.

She also said they are looking into doing more DNA tests with a new device called an M-vac system.

In July, the Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office purchased an m-vac system. They immediately used the device on evidence from Mintz’s case.

“It’s a giant vacuum cleaner,” Doncourt said. “They wet down the piece and it just sucks everything up, so it pulls out far more DNA than the old method of just swabbing.”

The Sheriff’s Office is now just waiting on the result to come back from the state crime lab.

Whether it is new technology, or old evidence, Doncourt said they will find the answer.

“Phil taught me a lot and one of the things he taught me is just don’t give up. You’re going to get pushed away, you’re going to be told no. You’re going to hit a brick wall. That’s okay. There’s another string to pull. There is always something. As long as we’re sitting here, as long as we can read these case files, as long as technology keeps advancing, we are just going to keep following that road map,” Doncourt said.''

I just find difficult to understand how an almost 2 year old baby could say, his mother looked into the peephole, could not see anybody? Can anyone share thoughts on this please

There’s some cases on WS that I think about often and this is surely one of them. I’ve posted about several things with this case that I wish I understood better. We see dated cases get figured out often so I’ll keep looking for that here.

The info. regarding a peephole did not come from the article quoted, but i did find it at this link..fwiw
''They interviewed Beverly’s son, who was home at the time, and he said that someone had knocked on the door. Beverly looked through the peephole, but there was no one there''

20 odd years earlier and many miles, but this woman also paid a terrible price after she placed a newspaper ad, any chance it is the same perp with similar MO? complete speculation, imo, fwiw..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia
Back